PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future

scotsboy
31-May-10, 18:21
Just back from Tokyo, a fantastic city, whilst there I learned that the Japanese were restarting their Fast Breeder Reactor programme.......whilst ours is being dismantled. The Japanese Atomic Energy Authority also have a broad R&D strategy.........and UKAEA..........it’s all very depressing......unless you are Japanese.

Tubthumper
31-May-10, 18:25
Just back from Tokyo, a fantastic city, whilst there I learned that the Japanese were restarting their Fast Breeder Reactor programme.......whilst ours is being dismantled. The Japanese Atomic Energy Authority also have a broad R&D strategy.........and UKAEA..........it’s all very depressing......unless you are Japanese.
You could remove the 'Atomic Energy' part from that statement and still get depressed. Most of the research that started their FBR progamme was done in the UK, a lot of it right here! But we're right at the cutting edge with decommissioning.
Can you think of any area where the UK are investing? Other than in financial services, of course.
Japan's a place I've always fancied visiting. Sounds great.

The Drunken Duck
31-May-10, 18:26
So what was Tokyo like then SB ??

Always wanted to go there.

scotsboy
31-May-10, 18:34
It is a fantastic city, a city which has been designed and functions as a city. A truly incredible metro/train system which is fully integrated, and whilst there are crowds of people........nobody appears to be rushing, as there is no need as they know another train/bus will be along – and it will be on time, everything runs on time.
The people are courteous, friendly and always laughing – was there a week and never saw a gurning face. Everyone is constantly on mobile phones, texting or watching tv etc..........also never heard a phone ring the whole time I was there, always on silent mode.
Food was fantastic.......the fish market, was something else! If it lives in the sea, they have it for sale in the fish market.
They like a dram – seen more malt whisky than you would ever know was available.
It was expensive..........but hey, I wasn’t paying.

The Drunken Duck
31-May-10, 18:59
Cheers SB .. sounds great, quite jealous of you for getting there !!

bekisman
31-May-10, 19:04

Did you find your way around with it having no street addresses?

scotsboy
31-May-10, 19:18
Did you find your way around with it having no street addresses?

No real problems, they have a kind of numrical grid system (like a post code) which references locations........simply ask a local if they know where it is, they input the code in their mobile phone and they show you it on a wee map on the screen. People were very approachable and eager to help.

Most of the locations I needed to get to provided me with maps with refernce points to the nearest train/metro station.

philupmaboug
31-May-10, 19:48
I was there a few years ago and found all the industry in one area, all the retail in another and no shortage of entertainment, they even had an indoor ski slope just out side Tokyo and in another area for tourists they have a statue of liberty.

sweetpea
31-May-10, 23:16
I have always wanteed to go to Japan but not for their nuclear ideas but hey Scotsboy you are right I thought at one time there was a planned 2nd PFR to be used for nuke power but it was knocked on head wen we got e snp's.

Kevin Milkins
31-May-10, 23:46
I heard that they are well ahead of the game with the production of nuclear power and they planned to build the new production plant here in Caithness, it's a safe distance in case of a malfunction and we we have technoligy to decommission the plant when a better idea for power production is invented.

The bit that makes them well ahead of us is, when the power has been produced, they have devised a nifty bit of kit that can email it to Japan.;)

sweetpea
01-Jun-10, 01:14
I heard that they are well ahead of the game with the production of nuclear power and they planned to build the new production plant here in Caithness, it's a safe distance in case of a malfunction and we we have technoligy to decommission the plant when a better idea for power production is invented.

The bit that makes them well ahead of us is, when the power has been produced, they have devised a nifty bit of kit that can email it to Japan.;)

Aye but we are no longer connected to the grid if my memory serves me well, that's the prob with renewables and that they seem to get funds to make the fancy equiptment but not to site it and get it up and running.