PDA

View Full Version : contact lenses?

Dadie
30-May-10, 23:06
Can you get allergic to a certain type of contact lenses or do they just irritate your eyes after a while?
Hubby is having a problem with the 30 day wear and dispose of lenses... bloodshot eyes etc...
and is wondering what to try next.
Has tried daily disposables, hard lenses etc...

carasmam
30-May-10, 23:25
Maybe there has been a build up on his lenses. Bausch and Lomb cleaner is good for getting rid of any protein build ups.

donnick
30-May-10, 23:42
i ended up getting dry eye and my contacts did last a bang .so got corrective eye surgery done best thing ever brill

trix
31-May-10, 00:47
Has tried daily disposables...

whats his problem wi' daily's? i think they are fab.

choost flick them in in 'e mornin an flick them oot at nite. sometimes if iv hed too much whiskey i wake up in 'e mornin wi' puffy eyes, 20 20 vision an' a hazy sorto glow aboot 'e lampshades :D

then i hev 'e option o' wearin ma glesses sometimes, really cool aines...

cazmanian_minx
31-May-10, 08:05
Is he on the extended wear ones, where you sleep with them in? I have those and I find it helps to sleep one or two nights a month without them, but I've also had a box of six left lenses which all made my eye itch after a few days, so it may be a lens fault.

Hen Broon
31-May-10, 09:12
I'm on monthly disposables and a few years ago they changed it to a brand called o2 optix, and I must have had some sort of allergy with those irritated my eyes, couldn't wear them for any time atall.

bekisman
31-May-10, 16:12
Agree with Trix; daily disposables – the healthiest type of contact lens. Daily disposable contact lenses are proven to be the healthiest and safest contact lenses and extraordinarily convenient to use. The great thing about daily disposable lenses is that you know you are using a sterile lens every time whereas 2-4 weekly replacement/continuous wear lenses require cleaning when they are removed and disinfection in a storage solution – and around 10% of users show/develop a sensitivity to solutions. (Even continuous wear lenses, unless thrown away each week, require solutions for cleaning and storage when not being used.)

Both Mrs Beks and I use Daysoft, very reasonable price, very fast delivery and the bloke Ron Hamilton who runs the (Scottish) company was the inventor of daily disposable contact lenses...

http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/GB/CountryHomepage.aspx (http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/GB/CountryHomepage.aspx)

Scarybiscuits03
31-May-10, 16:45
I had the same problem after years of wearing the monthly disposables my eyes suddenly started to flare up, bloodshot and sore. After seeing my optician he advised that you should have a weekend break from contacts every month but it was too late for me, because I hadn't been doing this I now have dry eyes and they would take several months to recover. In the end I opted for laser eye surgery but even then I had to wait for a month and had to use dry eye drops every hour as my eyes had become scarred from the continuous wear of disposable lenses.
All is well now though, better than 20/20 vision and have never been happier!

P.S according to the optician you CANNOT become allergic to contact lenses due to the materials that they use

bekisman
31-May-10, 17:15
I had the same problem after years of wearing the monthly disposables my eyes suddenly started to flare up, bloodshot and sore. After seeing my optician he advised that you should have a weekend break from contacts every month but it was too late for me, because I hadn't been doing this I now have dry eyes and they would take several months to recover. In the end I opted for laser eye surgery but even then I had to wait for a month and had to use dry eye drops every hour as my eyes had become scarred from the continuous wear of disposable lenses.
All is well now though, better than 20/20 vision and have never been happier!
P.S according to the optician you CANNOT become allergic to contact lenses due to the materials that they use

Just a quick one, do you have to have repeat laser surgery as you grow older and the eyes deteriorate with age?

jimbews
31-May-10, 17:42
Can you get allergic to a certain type of contact lenses or do they just irritate your eyes after a while?
Hubby is having a problem with the 30 day wear and dispose of lenses... bloodshot eyes etc...

Has he had increased computer use recently? Our secretaries have had this problem in the past, and it's reckoned to be because if you use a computer screen a lot you don't blink enough. No problems when they revert to glasses.

Scarybiscuits03
31-May-10, 21:35
Just a quick one, do you have to have repeat laser surgery as you grow older and the eyes deteriorate with age?

Once you've had the surgery you shouldn't need to have it again as they have corrected the original problem. What you may notice however, is that when you get older, I believe the cornea hardens and this causes problems reading close up and at this time they cannot correct this.......

Dadie
31-May-10, 21:39
He is getting a different type sent out to him to try.
Dont think its staring at a computer screen doing it as it happens as much at home as at work.
He did look into laser eye surgery ages back and decided it wasnt for him.

bekisman
31-May-10, 21:46
Once you've had the surgery you shouldn't need to have it again as they have corrected the original problem. What you may notice however, is that when you get older, I believe the cornea hardens and this causes problems reading close up and at this time they cannot correct this.......

Thank for that - just wondered, but suppose in old age this is universal..

Scarybiscuits03
31-May-10, 21:48
Laser surgery is very expensive, but I have to say it is sooooooo worth it just for quality of life - you feel brand new afterwards!!

Such a simple, painless procedure, it literally takes 10 mins.
They put drops in ur eyes to numb them then put some sort of contraption on the eye to hold it open. You are placed under one machine that separated ur cornea then moved to the next one that performs the correction - Voila done!

I'd prefer to have that done that go to the dentist for a hygienist appt!!! I was out on the drink the very same evening! lol

If he has developed a reaction it's probably due to dry eyes and Im afraid I tried all the different contacts too but the only alternative is to give ur eyes a break for about a year.......

stroma88
31-May-10, 23:00
is he definately using the right soloution?
i bought some cheaper stuff once and after a while couldnt even get my lenses in! i went to the optician and they said that the cheaper stuff contains too many chemicals which can irritate the eyes.
i use easysept peroxide soloution now and its fine but my eyes do get quite dry if i have been waering them for a long time or theyre coming to the end of the month.

its probably best just to get them checked though if you are unsure

Dadie
31-May-10, 23:05
Its the 30 day continuous wear ones he has at the moment so he doesnt use cleaning solution ... if he takes them out he leaves them beside the sink to dry out and for me to put in the bin!

Kestrel
01-Jun-10, 16:12
i find the Johnson Daily lenses are the most comfortable to wear - I previously used Specsavers 30 days lenses and after a full day at Uni they made my eyes red and gritty-feeling.

Whatever lenses suit you it's worth checking out www.lenstore.com (http://www.lenstore.com) I get 2 x 30 lens packs for £20 postage included, it saves a fortune and is always delivered within 2 days and in perfect condition!

stroma88
01-Jun-10, 18:29
wow thanks for that, i was just about to go and spend a fortune at specsavers!!!! :)

Fluff
01-Jun-10, 22:45
whatever lenses you buy, or where ever you buy them from just please make sure you have a contact lens aftercare at LEAST once a year! It for you the health of your eyes and can help you prevent serious damage and your eyesight!

crustyroll
02-Jun-10, 19:07

That's not a very clever statement coming from a qualified professional!!! You can take an allergy to anything at anytime in your life that you have previously been fine with before.

I tried a different type of lenses a few years ago, the eyes were bloodshot and gritty and the optician told me it WAS a reaction to the material of the lense. He changed them for another pair and I've had no problems since!!!!

Scarybiscuits03
02-Jun-10, 20:47
That's not a very clever statement coming from a qualified professional!!! You can take an allergy to anything at anytime in your life that you have previously been fine with before.

I tried a different type of lenses a few years ago, the eyes were bloodshot and gritty and the optician told me it WAS a reaction to the material of the lense. He changed them for another pair and I've had no problems since!!!!

Maybe I was informed wrong, but I was told this by the guy that performed my eye surgery so he's no dummy! I believe it's the solution that they are kept in that causes the problems, not the lenses themselves unless of course you are not allowing you eyes time to breath inbetween, but that wouldn't be the fault of the lens, it would be the user.

Dadie
13-Jul-10, 23:02
Hubby has bitten the bullet and decided to have eye surgery.
Any advice or tips out there in org land?
The contact lenses are irritating his eyes.....no matter what he uses!

Weekr
01-Feb-11, 23:20
Instead of making a new thread I decided to just bump this one. :)

Does anyone know when specsavers are next up? My contact lenses are giving me the same problem as the OP and they are also monthly continuous wear lenses. Need to get them checked and changed asap!

Scarybiscuits03
01-Feb-11, 23:27
Just go online and order a different make (Bausch and Lomb were good for me for 14 years!)......I ended up trying 3 different makes and the daily disposables but they all caused problems.
Hope you find something that suits!

Dadie
01-Feb-11, 23:41
Hubby tried daily disposables, monthly wear, hard and soft lenses, different solutions, different makes of lenses over the years and ended up irritated by them all!
He finally bit the bullet and got his eyes done last year and wished he had done it sooner!
Hope you find something that siuts you without all the faffing around that he had!
good luck!

oldmarine
02-Feb-11, 21:14

My wife had similar problems with her contact lenses. She finally had to return to using regular glasses and that was after she talked to her eye doctor.