PDA

View Full Version : Fishing section on the org....

nightspirit
30-May-10, 18:41
I am supprised to see the fishing page so out of date and not been updated in a couple of years. Surly the fishing up here brings in a bit of income to the locals why not use this as an advertising source to get more visitors an updated page with recent inmfo will probably attract more fishermen/women. Especially in the economic climate we find ourselves in.

just my rhoughts......

Invisible
30-May-10, 20:06
The only fishing that's on the org currently is that for information

Bill Fernie
30-May-10, 22:02
I am supprised to see the fishing page so out of date and not been updated in a couple of years. Surly the fishing up here brings in a bit of income to the locals why not use this as an advertising source to get more visitors an updated page with recent inmfo will probably attract more fishermen/women. Especially in the economic climate we find ourselves in.

just my rhoughts......

I would bemore than happy to add updates to the fishing section. I used to get odds and ends coming in but nothing in recent times. I am happy to add items on fishing that are sent in. For example stories and photos of recent good catches.

Generally I find that items slow down on certain topics once organisations put up their own web site and perhaps feel they no longer need to send items to Caithness.org. Of course that means that maybe only the very interested folk will head round the particular web sites if they have a deeper interest in the topic and maybe that is fair enough.

Still as I have said I am happy to add fishy stories to the site if they are emailed to me at bill@caithness.org

Thanks for the reminder that this page is getting a bit out of date

nightspirit
30-May-10, 22:15
Will try and get a few stories and speak to 1 or 2 ppl i know up in caithness that are regulars out of scrabster - my knowledge is limited to the sea fishing side of things.

Nacho
31-May-10, 01:09

just my rhoughts......

you're absolutely right, the fishing section on here is well past it's best.

i've lost count of the number of tourists i've met fishing at Wick lighthouse pier and the old Ola pier at Scrabster because they don't know where to go for a decent fishing spot in Caithness.

when you have a blether with them and direct them to the better spots, they usually say that Harper's and Hugo's aren't very helpful when it comes to disclosing these well kept local secrets !!

Bill is also right though, if no-one contributes then what can you expect ?

i'm best on sea fishing rather than on the rivers or lochs, and will gladly provide information (photos, locations/maps, what fish/what tackle etc).

the fishing section needs a revamp, rather than a chronological list of submissions, it needs a specific link for sea fishing and then a comprehensive list of places for people to go, how to get there etc ..

just to point out how bad this section is, one of the top links takes visitors to 'Angling Competitions 2005' ..... :eek: does this mean that there hasn't been a competition since then or that the organisers haven't bothered to submit the details of the last 5 ?!

apart from the negative image this presents to visitors of our fine fishing county, it's also pretty unhelpful for the locals who want to try out fishing or take the kids out for the first time.

Can we put out a call to rectify this issue ?...

Thanks for pointing out this problem Nightspirit, Bill you have been PM'd !

nightspirit
31-May-10, 17:22
That will be Great Nacho, i'm not based in Caithness but hope to move up with my wife and family soon (wife is from Wick). I am however up fairly regular and do a bit of fishing so will also endevor to share any nuggets of info i can dig up etc.. look forward to the page/reports :D:lol:

you're absolutely right, the fishing section on here is well past it's best.

i've lost count of the number of tourists i've met fishing at Wick lighthouse pier and the old Ola pier at Scrabster because they don't know where to go for a decent fishing spot in Caithness.

when you have a blether with them and direct them to the better spots, they usually say that Harper's and Hugo's aren't very helpful when it comes to disclosing these well kept local secrets !!

Bill is also right though, if no-one contributes then what can you expect ?

i'm best on sea fishing rather than on the rivers or lochs, and will gladly provide information (photos, locations/maps, what fish/what tackle etc).

the fishing section needs a revamp, rather than a chronological list of submissions, it needs a specific link for sea fishing and then a comprehensive list of places for people to go, how to get there etc ..

just to point out how bad this section is, one of the top links takes visitors to 'Angling Competitions 2005' ..... :eek: does this mean that there hasn't been a competition since then or that the organisers haven't bothered to submit the details of the last 5 ?!

apart from the negative image this presents to visitors of our fine fishing county, it's also pretty unhelpful for the locals who want to try out fishing or take the kids out for the first time.

Can we put out a call to rectify this issue ?...

Thanks for pointing out this problem Nightspirit, Bill you have been PM'd !