PDA

View Full Version : The Darker Side of the World Cup (Not a football thread)

scorrie
29-May-10, 17:25
While the World watches the celebration of "The beautiful game" next month, many thousands of South Africans, including children and babies will be raped away from the glare of the TV cameras.

With the highest rate of rape in the world, it is estimated that the average female child has a one in three chance of making it through school and a one in two chance of being raped, quite likely by her own father.

The following article summarises a documentary I only caught the last few minutes of last week:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africas-shame-the-rise-of-child-rape-1974578.html

Disturbing reading.

I don't know about other orgers but I find the awarding of Sporting Events to countries with such problems to be glossing over those problems. It is a sobering thought to consider that during the 90 minutes of each game, some 200 people will have been raped in South Africa.

Kodiak
29-May-10, 17:46
Do you think there would be any less Rapes if the World Cup was played in another Country. No.

I think it is good for the World Cup being in South Africa. The reason being is that the world Press will be there. While they are there to report on the World Cup there will be a few who will report on such things as the deplorable Rapes etc etc.

So in the long run there will be more publicity and so more and more information will be broadcast about what really is happening in South Africa.

If the World Cup was in another Country there would be none of this and you would not even have broached the subject here on the org.

scorrie
29-May-10, 20:15
Do you think there would be any less Rapes if the World Cup was played in another Country. No.

I think it is good for the World Cup being in South Africa. The reason being is that the world Press will be there. While they are there to report on the World Cup there will be a few who will report on such things as the deplorable Rapes etc etc.

So in the long run there will be more publicity and so more and more information will be broadcast about what really is happening in South Africa.

If the World Cup was in another Country there would be none of this and you would not even have broached the subject here on the org.

Who rattled your cage pal?

You know nothing about what I may or may not post here as the mood takes me.

I highly doubt that reporters there to cover the football are going to give a second glance to any other issue. If you had read the link I posted you would see this section:-

"The eyes of the world will be on South Africa next month, when more than 350,000 football fans will arrive for the World Cup. Many charity workers fear that this will make children even more vulnerable to sexual violence."

Those are the words of people who KNOW what they are talking about. In any case, if you had the nous to look beyond the shallow logic of "No less rapes if the World Cup was played elsewhere" you might happen upon the notion that a rejection of South Africa's World Cup bid on the grounds of the situation regarding rape in the Country is going to have a lot more impact in bringing this fact to the attention of the world than any football correspondent who may or may not wander off topic when England are having a quiet news day.

You got your knickers in a fair twist over the Sale of Goods act that I don't rate. This feels like a carry forward from that and I can only apologise if you felt I pissed on a little fire you had going on that thread.

pegasus
29-May-10, 22:36
not another running battle? happy days indeed

davie
29-May-10, 22:42
Scorrie,

Calm doon, ye will boil yer watter [lol].
I probably agree with your thoughts on Kodiak's post but as you know there is a polite Kaitness way to disagree with the mannie :)

Venture
29-May-10, 23:27
I have been following a series where five England football team WAGs leave their pampered lives behind to experience the reality of life behind the gloss of the World Cup by rolling up their sleeves to work in some of the poorest and most deprived neighbourhoods in the host nation, South Africa. I wouldn't normally watch anything about WAGs but this programme is a real eye opener and gives a true insight into another side of South Africa that won't be shown during the World Cup. You can catch up on the first two programmes on bbci - WAGs, Kids and World Cup Dreams.

Kenn
29-May-10, 23:33
I watched that documentary along with several others that have been televised over the last few weeks on South Africa
I was shocked at the statistics and despaired for the lack of justice available to the victims.
I however see no correlation between the social problems of the country and the fact that it is to host "The Football World Cup."
If it emerges that because of increased interest in the country by the media that some of the injustices are adressed then surely shedding a light on them can only be a good thing.
However I will not hold my breath as even now most of the politicians there are in denial of HIV / Aids despite their own families being affected.