PDA

View Full Version : watercress

patsy1
29-May-10, 13:58
Ok l have looked everywhere to find a fruit & veg shop, tesco dont have it, so is there a veg shop in wick thurso or near by.:(

pat
29-May-10, 14:24
it grows wild in Caithness - start searching the ditches, lots of it used to grow near water when I was young so perhaps some of the locals will know where the nearest lot to you.

Kevin Milkins
29-May-10, 15:14
I have a small water feature in my greenhouse that I use to help humidify the atmosphere.
I got a paint pad and sprinkled it with cress seed, placed the pad so it just keeps damp,and voila, fresh cress as and when required.:Razz

brandy
29-May-10, 15:23
giggles i have some in my window the bairn brought home

Valerie Campbell
29-May-10, 15:55
Why don't you grow your own on some cottonwool? It's great fun and it's one of the few plants I've managed not to kill off! And you know it's fresh and not been sprayed or anything. Good luck and enjoy!

Macwull
29-May-10, 15:56
lidls sometimes have it

ashaw1
29-May-10, 17:54
Tesco in Wick usually have it, i use it on my sandwiches instead of lettuce. It's comes in a plastic bag next to the salad veg!

Think most people are getting cress and watercress mixed up. Cress is the stuff you grow on the window sill and mix in with your egg mayonnaise, watercress is a salad leaf!

neepnipper
29-May-10, 21:27
I've also noticed Tesco have stopped doing it, my bearded dragon loves it and I don't know where else to get it.

Dadie
29-May-10, 21:33
If you find it growing wild...
Only pick and eat the stuff that is growing in running water!
Definately not the stuff sitting in stagnant pools or ditches!

_Ju_
30-May-10, 08:10
it grows wild in Caithness - start searching the ditches, lots of it used to grow near water when I was young so perhaps some of the locals will know where the nearest lot to you.

There is alot of fluke in cattle up here. Ditch water often drains from pasture land. Be very careful about eating raw watercress up here. A good rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't drink the water, you probably should not eat that water cress raw.