PDA

View Full Version : Employers !!!!!! i've had enough.

saffy100
14-Jun-06, 11:03
I'm just soooo fed up.....i have been applying for new jobs for a while now,and am absolutely at my witts end with companies that can't even be bothered to let you know that they have received your application or that your application was not successful in getting to an interview....i mean you spend time putting your application together and writing your covering letter, send it off and wait....visiting the letter box like a kid waiting for the postie. I have had this from the high street banks who have advertised recently, one of which i asked if they would let me know if i was unsuccessful, they assured me they would.....nothing...,North of Scotland newspapers, not only did'nt write to say application was not suitable but then readvertised saying previous applicants need not apply!!!!!! thanks for letting us people who had spent time and money putting one together....
I think that it should be a stipulation that any employer recruiting should have to inform applicants of the situation, its very dissheartening waiting for nothing.

Anyone agree?

Sorry...rant now over.

footie chick
14-Jun-06, 11:08
I think that anyone who applies for a job and is unsucessful should get notified in writing, after all as you say, you spend a lot of time and effort applying for the job. Good Luck hopefully you'll get one soon:D

Bingobabe
14-Jun-06, 11:11
I agree!! I find its the height of ignorance not to let people know. I am also looking for another job at the moment as im fed up with the one im in sadly at the moment im finding it hard to find one which will suit me.

P.S Good luck on the job hunting!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-06, 11:24
If you want to be in a job where they won't accept you, just turn up. Run errands, offer to make them tea, let people get to know you. Eventually they will accept you, becuase you are a part of their communuity. They will not only respect your perseverance but will like you for it. It may take time, but you will be in, not out.

saffy100
14-Jun-06, 11:32
Hi Pepsi Challenge,

I think you misunderstood my post, i am not after acceptance from an employer, nothing to do with being accepted a person in a place of employment, i have not encountered a situation you are talking about.

I am on about applications for a NEW job.

mccaugm
14-Jun-06, 13:03
I have become very disillusioned trying to get work. My field is administration / office work but there seems to be very little out there as I can only work part time in the Thurso area. :~(

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-06, 13:14
You could start your own business.

freckles
14-Jun-06, 13:25
I am also currently job hunting & feeling equally disheartened.

Any tips or advice out there?

Many Thanks.

JAWS
14-Jun-06, 13:27
You could start your own business.Doing that is fatal. I was my own Boss once and I couldn't stand the Guy! :roll:

Saffy100, you have my sympathy, it must be very disheartening when applications are just ignored as if you either don't exist or don't matter.

No matter how disheartening it may be though, just keep plugging away. because one day you will succeed.
And all those ignored job applications? Look at it this way, it's their loss, not yours and if that is the way they treat people then why would anybody want to work for them in any case.

Good luck with the job hunt, I'm sure you will win in the end!

Tugmistress
14-Jun-06, 13:30
I must agree I find it rather ignorant to not even get a response from a prospective employer.
However, when i was applying for jobs and had no responses i used to think to myself that if they couldn't be bothered to be coureous and polite then what would working for them be like anyway? it helped with all the empty letterboxes every morning for me, maybe it will for you.

good luck to all the job hunters out there, i hope you get fixed up soon.

Phoebus_Apollo
14-Jun-06, 13:30
I agree with your post - so many companies don`t care about replying to application form it`s unbelievable!! I`ve found the job centre website (http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do)to be useful (although disheartening only 8 jobs in thurso - all either Temp/Part time). The Job forum on Caithness.org is also useful. But my best advice is too consider moving to a less remote part of the country!!:)

Buttercup
14-Jun-06, 13:42
Some things never change. I had the same problem 20 years ago. I lost count of the number of jobs I'd applied for, got to the stage that I felt everyone in the town had read my CV and I only had 2 interviews in a whole year of trying. One of which actually had the cheek to say to my face that they only invited me for the interview because they didn't know who I was! :mad:

orkneylass
14-Jun-06, 14:05
Any thoughts about voluntary work, retraining/ studying, home working etc???

Fluff
14-Jun-06, 18:27
when i moved to reading i thought it qould ne easy to get a job, but i was unemployed for 9 months!! when in thurso the longest i was unemployed was for 6 months!!
its so hard when employers dont get back to you, gets really depressing.

saffy100
14-Jun-06, 20:19
Hi all,

I guess we have all been in the same boat at one time or another, thanks for all your replies, i'ts nice to know i'm not the only one that finds this predicament. I do have a job to go to in July, but i am still applying for jobs that i would enjoy rather than one "to pay the bills" obviously i will work hard in my new job even though its not what i want to do, and my new employers will not be dissapointed in me.
I found the jobcentre website and office in Wick to be very helpful, and all the ladies that i have dealt with there are great, very friendly and approachable.Also Caithness.org jobboards are very good.

Anyway thanks everyone for your opinions.

Saffy100 xx

Ricco
14-Jun-06, 22:01
Something I always did to guarantee I at least got notification was to enclose a stamped and addressed envelope for their reply back to me. There were a very few who still didn't bother but I think some employers appreciate that you are keen enough to get a reply.

landmarker
14-Jun-06, 22:22
Yes, I'v ehad almost thirty employers, and I've had enough too!
I wish I could pack it all in.
Nine years ten months, three days and several hours, if not sooner
Good luck to you though, in your quest.

Ricco
14-Jun-06, 22:25
Yes, I'v ehad almost thirty employers, and I've had enough too!
I wish I could pack it all in.
Nine years ten months, three days and several hours, if not sooner
Good luck to you though, in your quest.

Now there's interesting, Landmarker. You and I must be of an age 'cos' my timing is about the same. :D

Lucy
14-Jun-06, 23:20
i'm sorry your'e having such a bad time finding a new job. from experience and that of my family there is nothing to beat the personal touch. if you have the time to go to a prospective employer do so. dress appropriate to the job and take the time to talk to other employees(if possible). Personally hand in your cv or application form to the personel department or the boss if he/she is available and ask them to get in touch no matter the outcome as your appreciate feedback.

this approach has got my son and myself jobs in the past. i now have an excellent job which i have no thoughts of giving up.

mccaugm
14-Jun-06, 23:22
[evil]
I agree with your post - so many companies don`t care about replying to application form it`s unbelievable!! I`ve found the job centre website (http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do)to be useful (although disheartening only 8 jobs in thurso - all either Temp/Part time). The Job forum on Caithness.org is also useful. But my best advice is too consider moving to a less remote part of the country!!:)

I found this website bizarre, you put in your requirements i.e within 5 miles of my home in Halkirk and it comes up with options usually starting in Glasgow. Have found the jobs section on this site quite good though.

Chillie
14-Jun-06, 23:28
from experience and that of my family there is nothing to beat the personal touch. if you have the time to go to a prospective employer do so. dress appropriate

this approach has got my son and myself jobs in the past. i now have an excellent job which i have no thoughts of giving up.

Dress appropriate!!:roll: so your saying that's how you get a job? right saffy100 clean up your clothes from lucy's experience you'll land yourself a job.;)

Bingobabe
15-Jun-06, 01:33
i'm sorry your'e having such a bad time finding a new job. from experience and that of my family there is nothing to beat the personal touch. if you have the time to go to a prospective employer do so. dress appropriate to the job and take the time to talk to other employees(if possible). Personally hand in your cv or application form to the personel department or the boss if he/she is available and ask them to get in touch no matter the outcome as your appreciate feedback.

this approach has got my son and myself jobs in the past. i now have an excellent job which i have no thoughts of giving up.Im kinda confused by your post. Im all about presentation but i dont think it would land you a job over someone who is more qualified. I dont think the employers going to turn round and say mmmmm i think we will give so and so the job cause there a snappy dresser.:roll: No offensive intended.

Fluff
15-Jun-06, 10:15
how you dress can make a big differnce! we had a young lady in a fw months ago for an interview, she can in in timberland boots, baggy trousers, a vest top and massive hoop earings!!

if someone cant be botherd dressing smartly/correctly, that says they cant be botherd doing things at work correctly!

saffy100
15-Jun-06, 10:55
Hi,

I agree that smart apearance is essential.
I always hand deliver my application where possible, and even when just delivering application i dress as i would for the interview, i try and get an email contact so i can check that my application has been received etc....

My origional point was about how employers don't even have the decency to acknowledge an application, i always put my email on covering letter so they don't even need a stamp. (although the stamped addressed envelope is a very good idea..thankyou)

saffy100

Billy Boy
15-Jun-06, 14:06
i know how you feel lol, when i was unemployed, i went to the thurso job club (many moon's ago ) and sent out over 30 application's and got 1 reply,and that was no,but the following week i got a job, so you just have to keep trying your best, something will turn up, good luck

dozerboy
15-Jun-06, 16:52
It is very annoying, when, as you say, you have spent time putting the application together and a cv also. Some large employers say they can't possibly reply to all applicants, but surely with mail merge etc, it wouldn't be hard to set up a letter to everybody and change the names etc. I always knew if I was getting an interview or not by the class of stamp on the reply if you did get one. 1st class stamp is usually good news, 2nd is thanks but no thanks.

Good luck to all those looking for gainful employment.

Lucy
15-Jun-06, 17:22
Im kinda confused by your post. Im all about presentation but i dont think it would land you a job over someone who is more qualified. I dont think the employers going to turn round and say mmmmm i think we will give so and so the job cause there a snappy dresser.:roll: No offensive intended.

No offence taken. My point is that if you dress nicely and you have the right qualifications they may well consider you for the job. but no matter how good your qualifications are if you turn up in torn jeans and dirty sweater for an office job they are more likely to give the job to some-one else.

Lucy
15-Jun-06, 17:27
Im kinda confused by your post. Im all about presentation but i dont think it would land you a job over someone who is more qualified. I dont think the employers going to turn round and say mmmmm i think we will give so and so the job cause there a snappy dresser.:roll: No offensive intended.

No offence taken. I agree with what you have said. What i meant was that if you put in the little bit of extra effort e.g. dress appropriate, personally hand in the application etc it may give you the edge over some-one else with the same qualifcations.

Bingobabe
15-Jun-06, 20:28
No offence taken. I agree with what you have said. What i meant was that if you put in the little bit of extra effort e.g. dress appropriate, personally hand in the application etc it may give you the edge over some-one else with the same qualifcations. Surely common sense would tell the majority of people to dress appropriately. Saying that you usely do get the odd few that will turn up like scruffs.

2little2late
15-Jun-06, 22:30
I'm just soooo fed up.....i have been applying for new jobs for a while now,and am absolutely at my witts end with companies that can't even be bothered to let you know that they have received your application or that your application was not successful in getting to an interview....i mean you spend time putting your application together and writing your covering letter, send it off and wait....visiting the letter box like a kid waiting for the postie. I have had this from the high street banks who have advertised recently, one of which i asked if they would let me know if i was unsuccessful, they assured me they would.....nothing...,North of Scotland newspapers, not only did'nt write to say application was not suitable but then readvertised saying previous applicants need not apply!!!!!! thanks for letting us people who had spent time and money putting one together....
I think that it should be a stipulation that any employer recruiting should have to inform applicants of the situation, its very dissheartening waiting for nothing.

Anyone agree?

Sorry...rant now over.

I know exactly what you mean. I have been trying for a job since October last year. Have applied for no end of jobs and must have only had a couple of replies. Not even Homebase had the decency to let me know I was unsuccessful with my application. If potential employers advertise for staff then the least they can do is reply back even if you are unsuccessful.

Kenn
16-Jun-06, 00:26
Sorry to read about the problems you are having but here's a few tips from an employer.
1.Have a full CV available
2.Request that an acknowledgement of you application will be forthcoming
3.If possible attach references
4.Make sure that the application is written in your own hand writing and that is has been spell checked.
I have a criteria for any new job applicants that they must be able to tell me is twenty words written in their own handwriting why I should give them a job.
If they cannot be lucid,spell correctly or if their handwriting is illegible they are immediately dispatched to the shredder.
This may seem harsh but when a person is expected to answer the telephone, take down orders etc then it is imperative that other members of staff can understand what has been written.
Hope this will be of help..good luck with the job hunting

scorrie
16-Jun-06, 00:37
The tide has turned on employment. In the sixties and early seventies you could pick and choose your job. Nowadays it is all reversed. It is an employers market.

They are usually overwhelmed with applicants. In days of yore they would struggle to find an applicant, now they have two hundred chasing a mediocre post. For some employers, that represents a lot of "man" hours and postage in replying to every applicant. Impolite? yes, however that is the way it is in modern society.

As far as local jobs go, forget qualifications, forget dressing smartly. Know the right person? In the Masons? Kerrbang!! you just landed yourself a job. Incompetent? That's a bonus, you'll go far. Nepotism Rules UK!!

compo
16-Jun-06, 08:16
couldnt agree more with scories comments yes its all about who you know and where you go. a friend of mine joined the masons for no other reason than to get a job at the atomic plant yes he did sugest that i should join frankly id rather set fire to my arse. and in the 60s and 70s it was a lot easier to find work and it is an employers market take iraq for instance in the early days anyone who was willing or mad enough could get work there now its not so easy. as for working in this county or country theres just to many people chasing the same job. to even get a reply is a bonus even when you know before you open that letter that you aint got a snowballs hope in hell also theres alot of underhanded tacyics employed like yeh mate i can get you the job but i have to adevertise it so then you get all the saps who think they have a chance but should have just not bothered because it was all a farse the job was gone before the ink in the add was dry. then theres the old one oh sorry but your over qualified. and as some one else said i to have done the hand delivered thing the reactions seemed to be a bewildered look on the fizogs as the realised that they did not know this person or that they did and would not employ them so i think that tactic has its pit falls. in short i dont think you have much chance if you dont know the right people or suck up enough as for the broo i have to laugh but then not fair realy they have provided funds to go to interviews all in england but all those jobs where found on the old confuser. am i bitter yes my last job inviolved long periods away from home 3 to 4 moths at a time i have a family and i havent had a chance to see them grow up mutch and i thought when leaving the army that i was going to be home evry night lmao. all people want is a far chance and its just not hapening. end of rant