PDA

View Full Version : Place names in Caithness

numptyboy
28-May-10, 16:26
hi al,l i am trying to get a complete list of place names in Caithness that end with "ster" for example Lybster,Rumster etc i have managed to collate about twelve places so far but being an incomer to the county i am sure there must be many more out there that i am missing.

all help greatly appreciated.

pat
28-May-10, 16:34
If you put the ones you have folk can add to them - some that spring to mind are

Lybster, Scrabster, Wester, Reaster, Occumster, Thrumster, Bilbster, Brabster, Roster,
Rumster,

trinkie
28-May-10, 16:42
Ulbster Thrumster Nybster Scrabster Shebster Bilbster Haster Mybster Achkeepster Aimster

Taken from Caithness Place names by George Watson

good luck
Trinkie

jimbews
28-May-10, 16:48
Sibster, Killimster, Thuster

trinkie
28-May-10, 17:11
The following was taken from a John O Groat / Edinburgh Lit Magazine dated 1950...

'' Not the least of the many distinctive features of interest which impress visitors is the large number of Norse place names in the County, adding ''ster'' for example the following -

Achilbster Achlipster Achkeebster Aimster
Badlibster Bilbster Brabster Brubster Bylbster
Camster Croster
Fryster
Haster Humster Hunster
Ingminster
Killimster
Lybster
Mybster
Nipster Nybster
Occumster
Reaster
Roster Rumster
Scrabster Sibster Sibmister Stemster Stempster Stroupster Syster
Thrumster Thuster Tister
Elbster
Wester
The foregoing, though perhaps not a complete list, may serve as a framework to which may be added other names. ''

Trinkie

trinkie
28-May-10, 17:13
The above list of names was compiled by E N Gunn

and copied by Trinkie.

Skifter
30-May-10, 17:47
Belster and Bilster are another two

tippytoes
30-May-10, 19:29
Shebster is another :)

Kenneth
31-May-10, 13:36
Bilster, Milster, Gilster, Filster, Hochster, Chebster, Achintavister, Caithnesster, Fester, Blister, Sterster

Crackeday
31-May-10, 13:42
What about Herman Munster?[lol]
Sorry couldnt resist it!!!

joxville
31-May-10, 16:51
I recall this thread (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=80377&highlight=ster) from last year, someone asking the meaning of 'ster', hope it helps you.

Lavenderblue2
31-May-10, 17:10
Achscrabster :)

spurtle
31-May-10, 19:21
Humpster - real place , though the "p" has been added for comic effect

Blarney
31-May-10, 22:47
Bilster, Milster, Gilster, Filster, Hochster, Chebster, Achintavister, Caithnesster, Fester, Blister, Sterster
Yer takin' the Pister Mister.

Metalattakk
31-May-10, 23:02

LOL! You've missed out Umpster, Lumpster and Bumpster!

ducati
01-Jun-10, 06:54
What about Trumpster, Bumster and Thrutchster :eek: