PDA

View Full Version : Facebook security

Invisible
28-May-10, 14:15
I see FB has been on the news again for security reasons. Anyone concerned about this?

I have just changed my privacy settings yet again, cos I don't want my Legen-wait for it - dary jokes copied:lol:

macbreeza
28-May-10, 15:32
I don't think the privacy settings were confusing before. its pretty straight forward. If you don't want anyone but your friends seeing anything on your profile then set all the privacy settings to that!

simples.

If someone is too thick to not understand the settings then get off social profiles its not rocket science. The other thing that bugs me is why this topic made national news??? beats me:lol:

scorrie
28-May-10, 16:55
The other thing that bugs me is why this topic made national news??? beats me:lol:

I think it is fair enough that a Paedophile Postie, using mocked up male and female teenager accounts to contact kids, should be brought to the attention of the public. Not all parents are au fait with the wealth of perverts that inhabit the web or the methods they employ.

changilass
28-May-10, 17:28
As kids aint supposed to be on facebook in the first place, is it not up to the parents, rather than facebook to stop the kids registering in the first place.

If the kids wern't on there, the paedos would have no one to target.

DanaFlett
29-May-10, 18:21
I just let my pals see what's on my page and some of my photo's are just for myself to look at,if you dont want people sending you crap then just keep it private and block the people that become a pest...

scorrie
29-May-10, 20:31
I just let my pals see what's on my page and some of my photo's are just for myself to look at,if you dont want people sending you crap then just keep it private and block the people that become a pest...

Not trying to be funny but you mention "keep safe" whilst anyone who wants to know more about you and your family need only click on your "about me" tab in order to find out your husbands name, the names of your kids, mother's maiden name, what you look like, what some of your family look like and we can all see where you live. That is the kind of information that is gold dust to fraudsters and even more sinister people. I always advise people to be economical with their private details online.

Cattach
31-May-10, 20:08
I don't think the privacy settings were confusing before. its pretty straight forward. If you don't want anyone but your friends seeing anything on your profile then set all the privacy settings to that!

simples.

If someone is too thick to not understand the settings then get off social profiles its not rocket science. The other thing that bugs me is why this topic made national news??? beats me:lol:

I joined Facebook and quite honestly the folk on it mostly seem pretty thick or if not have a lor of time on their hands to write drivel.

Serenity
31-May-10, 20:13
Not trying to be funny but you mention "keep safe" whilst anyone who wants to know more about you and your family need only click on your "about me" tab in order to find out your husbands name, the names of your kids, mother's maiden name, what you look like, what some of your family look like and we can all see where you live. That is the kind of information that is gold dust to fraudsters and even more sinister people. I always advise people to be economical with their private details online.

Well anyone who is not a direct friend of mine cannot see any of that information on my facebook. In fact ALL they can see is my name and my profile picture (which is not a picture of me). The facebook privacy was never rocket science, just lock it all right down. It is even simpler now which I do appreciate. "Friends only" or "me only" every option. Simple. Sorted.
What really worries me is the fact that in reality you have signed away your rights to any photos or content as soon as you put it on facebook. That is what I really hope they will address soon.

Serenity
31-May-10, 20:15
I joined Facebook and quite honestly the folk on it mostly seem pretty thick or if not have a lor of time on their hands to write drivel.

Maybe just the people you associate with [lol]
Just kidding, but I did like it better when it was still for university students and alumni only and the plebs had to use bebo.

*please note sarcasm*

scorrie
31-May-10, 20:21
Well anyone who is not a direct friend of mine cannot see any of that information on my facebook. In fact ALL they can see is my name and my profile picture (which is not a picture of me). The facebook privacy was never rocket science, just lock it all right down. It is even simpler now which I do appreciate. "Friends only" or "me only" every option. Simple. Sorted.
What really worries me is the fact that in reality you have signed away your rights to any photos or content as soon as you put it on facebook. That is what I really hope they will address soon.

I was referring to the user DanaFlett, who has her private information plastered all over this site.

Serenity
31-May-10, 20:31
Ok then Scorrie, in that case it is a bit silly :roll: I am not quoting your post so if the person in question wishes to rectify the situation they can without having to ask me to delete my replies too.
Maybe this proves this facebook privacy malarky is more confusing than I first thought.
To me though the privacy setting are not, and never have been, difficult so it is hard for me to understand. Oh and I have even tested searching my account with
1)not being logged in at all
2)being logged in with no mutual friends
3)being logged in with mutual friends (as fb would say a friend of a friend)
and
4)Being logged in as a direct friend

The only one you can see any of my information (beyond my name) is with option 4, and even then I can control what they see individually with privacy lists. If more complex privacy options means more control then I am for it basically.

onecalledk
01-Jun-10, 12:14
As kids aint supposed to be on facebook in the first place, is it not up to the parents, rather than facebook to stop the kids registering in the first place.

If the kids wern't on there, the paedos would have no one to target.

the minimum age for kids to be on facebook is 13yrs old. however it would be very easy just to lie about your age if younger than this and input an earlier birthdate........

if mum and dad are not to up to date with technology and wee Bertie/Beth are off round to their mates how could said parents then know or protect said child ?

Unfortunately we live in a social media world, kids have access to the internet, its everyones duty to protect them from those that would target them ......

K

RecQuery
01-Jun-10, 13:17
The media just completely messes up its coverage of technology - from dodgy experts to inaccurate statements, makes me wonder how many other stories they mess up.

On the subject of danger to kids, kids had Internet connected computers in their rooms long before the current kill-the-paedophile-burn-the-paedophile scare and mentality were widespread. Just educate your kids properly, don't scare monger, don't even cover the subject in detail just give them some logic and reasoning skills.

Also as a rule don't put anything online you don't want people to see, even if its private, password protected whatever - Even if you own the server, there could still be a leak or whatever.

RecQuery
01-Jun-10, 13:23
Maybe just the people you associate with [lol]
Just kidding, but I did like it better when it was still for university students and alumni only and the plebs had to use bebo.

*please note sarcasm*

With no sarcasm at all, I find myself lamenting the loss of the community on the early internet at times.