PDA

View Full Version : wick establishment's early closing times

Oatcakes
13-Jun-06, 23:27
Having ventured out for a shandy or two with a few comrades this evening, it has been of great disappointment to discover that there is now only one establishment in the town that remains open beyond 11pm.

This is an absolute disgrace that wick is once again throwing itself back to the dark ages and refusing to keep the bars open to midnight, based on the fact that there were not enough people to warrant keeping the doors open.

Surely it is down to the establishment to enhance the surroundings to high enough level to attract more customers :(

sjwahwah
13-Jun-06, 23:28
midnite? I wouldn't stand for anything earlier than one o'clock in the morn! :-)

Chillie
13-Jun-06, 23:55
Where all did you go to.

cesare
14-Jun-06, 00:08
i am severly shocked by this oatcakes are u local? why would any bar/pub decide to close at inadaquit times surley it must be a financal blow to whomever owns thee establishment

nowadays i just dont understand ........... bars should be open to 12:30 am because our youth need alcohol !!!

ice box
14-Jun-06, 00:14
Do you sleep at all ?

cesare
14-Jun-06, 00:21
yes every day thanks;)

scrapydoo
14-Jun-06, 00:24
I don't get nearly enough sleep :~(

Oatcakes
14-Jun-06, 00:34
Where all did you go to.

Myself and fellow night owls went every where bar the camps (pardon the pun) reason being the infernal din that emits from the karaoke is just too much for my hearing aid to handle, resulting in a sleepless night due to severe migraines and tinnitus

Oatcakes
14-Jun-06, 00:38
i am severly shocked by this oatcakes are u local? why would any bar/pub decide to close at inadaquit times surley it must be a financal blow to whomever owns thee establishment

nowadays i just dont understand ........... bars should be open to 12:30 am because our youth need alcohol !!!

Thanks for the support you clearly share the same view of this most disappointing find

Oatcakes
14-Jun-06, 00:39
I don't get nearly enough sleep :~(

I have a suggestion, why not go to bed a wee bit earlier then or come out and join the pub dwellers for some all night drinking :D

cesare
14-Jun-06, 00:39
are you ok oatcakes i am horrified to think what kind of disturbance it has caused you to indure

i myself and several of my vetren freinds have sufferd same kind of symptoms and thus is why i has discluded myself from enjoying a lighthearted shandy

cesare
14-Jun-06, 00:42
we could endure a night of dominos or chess that would be great i miss the good old days

we should reunite the true vetrins of caithness for a almighty alnight pub extravaganza

Oatcakes
14-Jun-06, 00:47
That sounds like a splendid idea cesare. Indeed the good old days playing dominos and chess round the dim light cast from the small camp fire we were allowed to have in our unused billy cans :D

cesare
14-Jun-06, 00:52
i reminiss on dwellin in a cramped 2 bedroom house with 5 brothers and 4 sisters playin can can on the street and conkers now i cant even play with my nuts excuse my sense of humor

i linger in my trusty shed trying to keep busy but the good old years was the best fun i had anyways we could play darts but my swing isnt was it used to be

Bingobabe
14-Jun-06, 11:06
I thought it had been like this for sometime with the (exception of the camps) You should try the camps it can be a bit ruff at times but you can have a right good laugh!!! Hence the karaoke singing can sometimes be more disturbing than the closing times lol.[lol]

cesare
14-Jun-06, 15:42
its the profound din of kareoki that makes me shudder oatcakes what is it about that particular bar that disturbs you

my ears arnt wat they used to be i have 2 earing aids and bad tinutis

EDDIE
15-Jun-06, 10:02
Having ventured out for a shandy or two with a few comrades this evening, it has been of great disappointment to discover that there is now only one establishment in the town that remains open beyond 11pm.

This is an absolute disgrace that wick is once again throwing itself back to the dark ages and refusing to keep the bars open to midnight, based on the fact that there were not enough people to warrant keeping the doors open.

Surely it is down to the establishment to enhance the surroundings to high enough level to attract more customers :(
11pm is a bit early considering a lot of young people dont leave ther house to about 9pm fair enough during the week close at 11pm if its not busy but when the weekend starts the bars should be open to 1am min down in aberdeen a lot of bars close at 3 am and im sure there is a few that are 4am
me personally how anyone could last to 3 am is beyond me there next day must be ruined with a hangover i personally think 1 am is good happy meduim for everyone.

Rheghead
15-Jun-06, 10:14
What is wrong with going out earlier and finishing earlier? Then the pub owners are getting a good night's sleep like everyone else. Once upon a time the pubs were full at 6pm at the weekend.

Chillie
15-Jun-06, 10:42
What is wrong with going out earlier and finishing earlier? Then the pub owners are getting a good night's sleep like everyone else. Once upon a time the pubs were full at 6pm at the weekend.

It all all to do with the cost of drink, drink in pub's, nightclub's and hotels is an extortionate price nowadays, especially if there is a group of you( the clubs are slightly cheaper), so the younger ones get a carry out get bladdered in the house first then go out, maybe a couple of hours before closing time.The pub's, club's etc are then having to stay open longer in order to make a pound or two

EDDIE
15-Jun-06, 11:35
Totally disagree with u.You tend to find that in bars there is different styles of customers depending on the time of day for example
Late in the evening its fill of young people drinking and and getting ready to go clubbing at the start of the evening its more for the older generation thats out for a quiet drink were the pub isnt mobbed because that suits them.the afternoon drinkers are more ure regular alchis that have nothing better to do than drink and the morning drinkers are more your pensioners.
Its amazing the different styles of customers in bars a different time of days
I know i personally would hate to go out for a pint in the evening and the bar is packed just because pub owner wants a good sleep
And im quite sure rheghead when you were younger u did your fair share of binge drinking into the early hours

Jeid
15-Jun-06, 13:07
the afternoon drinkers are more ure regular alchis that have nothing better to do than drink and the morning drinkers are more your pensioners.

Considering I work in a pub, I think that's a very harsh statement and a bit narrow minded.

The customers I get in the pub in the afternoon are usually the nicest people you could meet and actually, the vast majority(almost all of them in fact) are not alcoholics.

The late evening customers(on weeknights) can be very nice people as well. The young weekend drinkers(I myself only being 23) are the ones I cannot stand. Ugh.

"OMGZ LETS GET TOTALLY WASTED AND MAKE FOOLS OF OURSELVES!!!"

No... no.. no! I'm not saying I haven't done it, in fact, I'm guilty of doing it myself, but usually during the week ;)

The evening trade, between 5 and 9 is generally a mix and match of different age groups and can be great one week or a nightmare the next.

I've also worked in Skinandi's and that was awful! Drunk people... especially the younger generation are terrible.

Anyway... most of the pubs in Thurso are open to 12!

Rheghead
15-Jun-06, 15:09
Just out of interest, wasn't Wick a 'dry' town until the WW2? Could the Temperance Society be digging its nails in again?:lol:

golach
15-Jun-06, 15:19
Just out of interest, wasn't Wick a 'dry' town until the WW2? Could the Temperance Society be digging its nails in again?:lol:
Maybe thats where the Thursa / Week rivalry comes from, because one was dry and Thursa was wet

Rheghead
15-Jun-06, 15:53
Maybe thats where the Thursa / Week rivalry comes from, because one was dry and Thursa was wet

Ah, that explains a lot....;)

EDDIE
15-Jun-06, 15:56
[QUOTE=Jeid]Considering I work in a pub, I think that's a very harsh statement and a bit narrow minded.
I used to work in bars years ago but you no what i mean by different crowds during different times of the day
I always preffered working in social clubs to bars or clubs people in social clubs are a lot more friendly and are more behaved.
Have u ever served a custumer a drink that only like specific number of ice cube in ther drink or like there drink in specific class and will moan at you if you dont rember for the next time for me the one thing i always hated about working behind a bar is if you get a customer that think its there right to make fun out u because your the barstaff thankfully there is not many people like that

Funky_Foal
15-Jun-06, 16:00
11pm is too early to close especially for a pub

evelyn
15-Jun-06, 20:43
Wick was not dry until WW2. It was dry DURING WW2.

2little2late
15-Jun-06, 22:24
Maybe if Camps put a stop to the Karaoke then perhaps the other pubs wouldn't want to close early so they don't have to put up with the din. [lol] [lol]

pultneytooner
15-Jun-06, 22:30
Just out of interest, wasn't Wick a 'dry' town until the WW2? Could the Temperance Society be digging its nails in again?:lol: I think it may have rained a few times then aswell.[lol]

cesare
16-Jun-06, 03:16
does it really matter being at a young age of 81 i feel i should be able to drink whenever i feel like if i feel like goin to a pub at 10:45pm i will on the sign it says monday to thursady 12-12 i thought it would be open but me and my comrades got told they were shutting i found this very distressing and i wasnt going into the other bar

Oatcakes
19-Jun-06, 00:04
i couldn't agree more, also being well into my 80's i feel i have earned the right to go for a drink whenever i please
i also think they should supply the old style tankards for your beer as i now find it increasingly difficult to grasp my pint having lost a number of fingers to the gerries

cesare
19-Jun-06, 15:51
i couldnt agree more oatcakes i was involved with the war my self those where the good old days 2 bits o stale bread and a scapin of fat anotherthing that really annoys me is that us being heros for our country havin to pay full price for a shandy or two do you get a discount oatcakes

connieb19
19-Jun-06, 17:28
i couldnt agree more oatcakes i was involved with the war my self those where the good old days 2 bits o stale bread and a scapin of fat anotherthing that really annoys me is that us being heros for our country havin to pay full price for a shandy or two do you get a discount oatcakesYou're quite some dude for your age cesare. You'd think that young misses of yours would have calmed you down a bit..;)

angela5
19-Jun-06, 18:28
does it really matter being at a young age of 81 i feel i should be able to drink whenever i feel like it

:eek: You don't get many 81 year olds with a 4 year old son.:lol:

obiron
19-Jun-06, 18:30
:eek: You don't get many 81 year olds with a 4 year old son.:lol:

you dont see that often.

angela5
19-Jun-06, 18:31
you dont see that often.

Ye certainly dinna.............:eek: cesare must be still full of life with a spring in his step.:lol:

obiron
19-Jun-06, 18:33
Ye certainly dinna.............:eek: cesare must be still full of life with a spring in his step.:lol:

the best way to be when your in your 80's

cesare
20-Jun-06, 15:57
i know what is one to do but sew the seeds of the land give a sense of comunity spirit :lol:
stepping on springs i wouldnt like to try that

Mamabear
20-Jun-06, 17:28
One smells something smelly going on, Bull is the first word that springs to mind Cesare, Are you really the Roman Messiah? Or a 25ish imposter?

ice box
20-Jun-06, 18:02
Maybe if Camps put a stop to the Karaoke then perhaps the other pubs wouldn't want to close early so they don't have to put up with the din. [lol] [lol]
Surely your singing not that bad lol

Bingobabe
20-Jun-06, 20:18
One smells something smelly going on, Bull is the first word that springs to mind Cesare, Are you really the Roman Messiah? Or a 25ish imposter?I thought that as well :eek:

katarina
20-Jun-06, 20:23
Ah, that explains a lot....;)

I think they're both pretty weet the night.

cesare
21-Jun-06, 01:29
what has the weather got to do with times of pubs shutting ,,,,,,,,,,hmmm i wonder :eek: :eek: