PDA

View Full Version : Clique?

John Little
27-May-10, 13:21
A clique (pronounced /ˈkliːk/ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English), also US: /ˈklɪk/ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English)) is an inclusive group of people who share interests, views, purposes, patterns of behavior, or ethnicity.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique#cite_note-0#cite_note-0) A clique as a reference group can be either normative or comparative. Membership in a clique is typically exclusive, and qualifications for membership may be social or essential to the nature of the clique. The term 'clique' may be used pejoratively (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative)

This – from Wikipedia.

Where else?

It seems to me that the charge of there being a clique on this Org is one that is often leveled and in a pejorative sense. It seems to me that if left standing and without comment, this charge becomes divisive, poisonous and harmful so, like a carbuncle, it needs lancing and healing.

When I first joined this community I was surprised at the amount of vituperation being directed at some people by others – and after being got at myself and called names, I set up a thread on it. Most people seemed to think that there was too much of it about and that it could be done without.

In relation to this, I know how Propaganda works. There are many views out there in society, many opinions- and public opinion takes a long time to form. The most effective propaganda is that which finds a soundbite or an idea that the majority of people can focus on. Imagine that each person’s thoughts are a small light- and the propagandist holds a magnifying glass up- it catches all the beams of light and focuses them into one great beam – which can burn and destroy. That is public opinion.

Now I am different to everybody else on the Org. I am an individual, and, like you, I think for myself. But certain ideas I find objectionable.

People who are different to me- who vote SNP, Lib Dem. Tory, Labour, UKIP also find the same things disagreeable – and say so loudly and vociferously.

The one idea which focuses our disagreement and dislike has become the magnifying glass which unites us.

And that in turn, perhaps unsurprisingly, calls down a lot of opprobrium on the heads of the authors of the objectionable idea.

So I am but one little gleam of light, and I find myself focussed by something not of my making.

I don’t think that makes me part of a clique.

Or anybody else.

Is there really a clique?

davie
27-May-10, 13:35
There are obviously people who have the same values as others and of course they will post their opinions accordingly.

Ballcocks - just realised I have posted near enough exactly what it says on the tin :lol:

No matter where in life one goes there will be differing viewpoints, usually the 'downtrodden' minority will scream 'clique' or some such piffle.

In this respect there is of course a clique on .org, the same as there is a clique in Gubberment or the Cooncil. There are usually three distinct groups in any discussion, the for, the against, and the don't give a toss.

That is the way things are, and while the 'clique' word may not be the proper description it means the same thing eventually.

Anyway you being the second best poster on the .org can I join your clique please ?:Razz

John Little
27-May-10, 13:39
Well if there is a clique I want to join Trix's cos she's got more sense in her wee pinkie than I have seen for many a long day. :D

And is the best poster too!

Thumper
27-May-10, 13:58
I dont think there is a clique on the org,well no more so than there is anywhere else,yes there are some that are friends in "real life" so therefore are maybe more apt to "side" with someone they know but all in all I would say no there isnt. I am proud to be a "real pal" of Trix's and would happily be cast as one of her clique if there was one ;) x

northener
27-May-10, 13:59
I always find the accusation of being part of some nebulous 'clique' quite laughable.

I form my own opinions, voice them where I see fit and treat people as I find them. If it happens that my views, beliefs and opinions are shared by others - then so be it. But there isn't one person on here who I agree with 100% of the time, or disagree with 100% of the time.

If my views differ from someone elses - then so be it. I'm not going to start throwing accusations about simply because a number of other posters have views diametrically opposed to mine. It always strikes me as the parting shot of someone who has not the good grace to accept that someone elses' viewpoint may be valid.

'Clique' implies that there are moves going on constantly behind the scenes to form a cohesive block against a certain individual. Not something I've been aware of on here, certainly.

Bazeye
27-May-10, 15:12
Im in a clique thats that exclusive it only has one member.

ducati
27-May-10, 15:48
To misquote: I would not want to be part of a clique that would have me as a member.

And in my opinion, JL has excelled himself on this thread; there are two words in the OP that I have never heard or seen before :eek:

opprobrium? vituperation ??

davie
27-May-10, 15:49
'Clique' implies that there are moves going on constantly behind the scenes to form a cohesive block against a certain individual. Not something I've been aware of on here, certainly.

That is certainly the implication but not strictly the dictionary definition.
I do not see anything like that on the .org, that would need .orgers to be aware of each others true identities etc and I do not think its the case. It would certainly become obvious to the outside observer.
As Northener says it is usually the parting shot of the defeated.

John Little
27-May-10, 17:52
To misquote: I would not want to be part of a clique that would have me as a member.

And in my opinion, JL has excelled himself on this thread; there are two words in the OP that I have never heard or seen before :eek:

opprobrium? vituperation ??

Apologies guvnah.

Our common language has a lot of words and some of them are beautiful and resonant. They are also shorthand and save a lot of other words in some places.

Opprobrium is that which brings shame on someone.
Vituperation is a coverall for abusive language and swearing.

I talk like that too - the wife loves it.

But they sound better in a Scots mouth.
I agree with John Buchan that the finest spoken english in the world is in the mouths of Galloway Scots

ducati
27-May-10, 18:36
They are also shorthand and save a lot of other words in some places.

Not if you have to write another post to explain them :Razz

I admit, I am pretty ignorant, having done only CSE level English, I am sure that all the other Orgers are having a good snigger at my expense.

Ho Ho ducati didn’t know what opprobrium mean’s [lol]

I asked my wife, she has three BSCs-she knew what they mean't LOL

John Little
27-May-10, 18:40
Whatever else Ducati may be, ignorant is not a word I could possibly think of as being linked to you. Intelligence and good sense and the art of being a human being have absolutely nothing to do with vocabulary or grammar.

And as I am sure you would agree, the greatest school of all is the school of life.

All the degrees in the world would not give you that sort of qualification.

No-one is laughing.

wifie
27-May-10, 19:05
Mr Little - shocked! Posting smut on here "I talk like that too - the wife loves it." whatever next? Swearing? You have only been here 5 minutes and the thought that you were sooked into a clique that fast is incredible. (Unless of course you know some orgers already [para])

Ducati surely you can use a dictionary! :roll:

Sounds like yer needin a plumber there Davie - trouble wi yer ballcocks - nasty! ;)

My opinion - what Northener said - but we are not, never have been and never will be a clique! Any friends on here (real or cyber) know I don't take sides. Mostly tho I just like a laugh and the clique accusers often seem short of the humour gene . . .

(Oh for the . . . what clique decided we could only use THREE smilies per post?)

ducati
27-May-10, 19:24
Whats that you say? Au' haud on, I'll just reach fer ma Collins [lol]

John Little
27-May-10, 20:52
Of course if there is no reaction, no argument, then there is no flame war. Like a bell jar put over a candle, denied the oxygen of argument, then the discord withers away.

So perhaps the best thing to do is to ignore the idea that focuses the vituperation and opprobrium.

And say nothing.

Even to the weirdest ideas.

And that removes the magnifying glass that focuses the beam.....

Instead just respond in a civilised way to what passes as normal discourse in mainstream society.

northener
27-May-10, 20:57
Of course if there is no reaction, no argument, then there is no flame war. Like a bell jar put over a candle, denied the oxygen of argument, then the discord withers away.

So perhaps the best thing to do is to ignore the idea that focuses the vituperation and opprobrium.

And say nothing.

Even to the weirdest ideas.

And that removes the magnifying glass that focuses the beam.....

Instead just respond in a civilised way to what passes as normal discourse in mainstream society.

This place is positively tame.

Without conflict there will be no true discussion. Merely the dull exchange of 'safe' comments that are emasculated to a point that will result in nothing but stagnation.

If you believe in something - speak out and fight your corner. Or watch the site turn into a back-slapping forum for those who cannot stand to be challenged.

John Little
27-May-10, 21:18
I shall consider your words carefully.

John Little
27-May-10, 21:21
I suppose you are right - and the damage is limited to comparatively few threads.

Trouble is I end up feeling I want a tin foil hat

And Dafi's got a point you know. It is like a continual flame war.

George Brims
27-May-10, 21:40
Well if there is a clique I want to join Trix's cos she's got more sense in her wee pinkie than I have seen for many a long day. :D
Seriously man? The woman that was going about wi' a wee jobbie in her handbag?

And is the best poster too!
Funniest, I'll agree with that!

John Little
27-May-10, 21:54
Seriously man? The woman that was going about wi' a wee jobbie in her handbag?

Funniest, I'll agree with that!

Aye - that woman who posts and tells the plain truth about life as she sees it, who has no side to her, speaks her mind and wears her heart on her sleeve.

And is funny too.

I'd vote for her for Parliament - jobby an all.

northener
27-May-10, 21:58
Trix?

Lovely girl. Met her a few times.

George Brims
27-May-10, 23:02
I'd vote for her for Parliament - jobby an all.

But who would want to shake her hand?

miranda
27-May-10, 23:08
Trix?

Lovely girl. Met her a few times.

lol poor me ..i gotta work wi her and hev her as a best pal... she certainly brightens up a dull day..wouldnt hev her any other way:)

joxville
27-May-10, 23:27
One is rather narked. One thought they were in a clique with Northener and DeHaviLand. :(

ducati
27-May-10, 23:29
Wasn't there some looney who was always going on about the cleek?

Tubthumper
28-May-10, 07:20
Who you calling a looney? :mad:

Bobinovich
28-May-10, 09:23
...but the cap fits you so well Tubs - just wear it with pride :cool:

John Little
28-May-10, 15:47
would that be a tinfoil cap?You'll need a turquoise tracksuit to go with it.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JqmerH0-zes/S4gx2rzqjBI/AAAAAAAAA8k/tOvXJG2KHzc/s400/article-1214205-0679A006000005DC-725_468x329.jpg

trix
28-May-10, 16:42
aw, am delighted.....ah hev ma oune little clique - queen o' 'e org, ma auld cheil says :cool: [lol]

still, one mustny let'ed go til ones heid ;)

bekisman
28-May-10, 16:49
Been flying for a few weeks, come back and see two 'clique' threads - can I join one?

trix
28-May-10, 16:53
Been flying for a few weeks, come back and see two 'clique' threads - can I join one?

ye can be in ma clique if ye want beks, mind tho...when yer in yer in, an' when yer oot....ye are oot!!!! [evil]

ducati
28-May-10, 20:55

Balloons?:eek:

Phill
28-May-10, 21:16
No-one is laughing.

I am.

snigger

Dunno why, I can't even spell viptratution.....whatever.