PDA

View Full Version : Estrella In Festival Competition

Estrella
13-Jun-06, 17:10
Rock Band Estrella have entered an online Competition to give them the chance to perform at 6 Top Festivals Throughout the Summer .

To make this possible we need our Fans and the Public to go online and vote for us. The songs we have uploaded for this competition are “Woman’s Touch” Chorus for our Ring tone and the Full Track of “Wet n’ Wild” for MP3. Both tracks are from our EP.

Here is how it works:

This is a site that helps promote unsigned and signed acts by Mobile Phone Downloads whether it be Ring tones, Wallpapers or MP3’s. All MP3’s can be downloaded to your Mobile or your PC.

The voting for this Competition works on points by simply texting your vote, buying our ring tone, Downloading the MP3 either to your Mobile or PC or you can phone a number in which you can listen to our MP3 track with each minute you listen we get a point.

Click on the following links to access the voting pages:

Estrella's Bandwagon Page (http://bandwagon.co.uk/band/Estrella)

Voting Page (http://acme.roundpoint.co.uk/agnes/online/localheroes/voting.php)

Points are Scored as follows:

Buy our Ring tone ( £3 ) - 6 Votes
Download MP3 ( £1.50 ) - 3 Votes
Txt Vote ( 50p ) - 1 Vote
Listen on Phone ( 50p/min ) - 1 vote per min

There is 9 Regions in the Competition. Each Top Band from their Region will go to London for a playoff in front of a Music Industry Panel against the other 8 bands with the Top 2 Bands Winning the Prize.

We will also have new tracks available for Ring tones after the Competition is over.

Voting ends 30th June so getting voting and Support Estrella – A band at the forefront of the new O.S.R music wave.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jun-06, 17:48
Aye. Right. Whatever...

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 18:06
Aye. Right. Whatever...

astounding enthusiasm & support as always..................

go for it lads

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jun-06, 19:40
OK, I'll bite...

Now. Let's see.

£1 to vote? And for what, eh? So a band can play to a bunch of impresarios from a company (who are they exactly?) subsidised by a mobile phone company. I don't think so. These 'competitions', for those who aren't already enlightened, are a process carried out by unscruplous players who target young, inexperienced bands, who don't know anything about the live scene and are still at the 'selling tickets to their grannies' stage (not that I'm suggesting Estrealla are exactly that). Anyway, the bands don't get a good gig or win any new fans, but the promoter makes a fortune from the bands' naive belief that selling lots of tickets - i.e. collecting lots of votes - is a sign that they're destined for bigger things. Better yet, why not hire King Tut's (it's where Oasis were signed!) on a weeknight, put four (or maybe even five) bands on at a fiver admission, and tell the bands whoever sells the most tickets can "headline". Apparently bands consisting of first-year students are good, cos they've got both school and Uni friends to flog tickets to.

Furthermore, these comps are a frustrating brake on any kind of co-operation between musicians, a pay-to-play popularity contest, a competition full of empty promises. In order to get anything out of them (aside from possibly 'winning' your way through to the next round, where you'll likely lose to a bunch of Oasis-covering 18 year olds anyway) you need to go against all of the instincts of the organisers, and act like it's a normal gig and you're not desperate for other bands to be rubbish. Reducing music to the level of competition makes it subjective, reductive and tiresome. End of.

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 22:45
fair enough................................now how's about giving my ear back:Razz

theboysintheband
13-Jun-06, 22:59
A better thing to have done would of been to pass your wisdom onto the band...before dismissing in such a harsh fashion.

But i do definately understand what your sayin.

Jeid
13-Jun-06, 23:06
I think the harsh way is the best way to put it.

zebedy
13-Jun-06, 23:07
u wud say that Jeid u natzi! lmao :lol:

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 23:10
u wud say that Jeid u natzi! lmao

OI that's my line

anyway it's nazi:Razz [lol]

Jeid
13-Jun-06, 23:11
anyway it's nazi

Oi, That's my line.

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 23:14
Oi, That's my line.

sue me mofo

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-06, 09:01
A better thing to have done would of been to pass your wisdom onto the band...before dismissing in such a harsh fashion.

But i do definately understand what your sayin.

I gather you may be a member of Estrella, no? If you are, read my post once again and think REAL HARD about it before continuing with the event. If not, sorry; but such things need to be said, harsh or not. The post was for the benefit of not just Estrella, but any other band lured/promised/sucked in/whathaveyou by such competitions. My advice to any band considering this is to get out and do it the hard way. You'll get more respect and will discover a new level of personal satisfaction when success - no matter how you measure it - arrives.

Chobbersjnr
14-Jun-06, 12:53
emergensa rings a bell.......................remember being knocked out in heat 2......................I gather we were sucked in to that

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-06, 13:11
As I said on another messageboard regarding this very subject, my own personal reasons for entering Emergenza (at the time) was part of a newspaper feature I was doing on BOTB competitions; and, obviously, to see what the whole thing is like looking from the inside. It was a strange and dispiriting experience, I'm sure you'll agree, Chobbers. Granted, the T Break competition has slightly more merit - the winning band(s) get to play at T in the Park. Even that, though, is a political minefield not worth bothering about.

Chobbersjnr
14-Jun-06, 13:24
As I said on another messageboard regarding this very subject, my own personal reasons for entering Emergenza (at the time) was part of a newspaper feature I was doing on BOTB competitions; and, obviously, to see what the whole thing is like looking from the inside. It was a strange and dispiriting experience, I'm sure you'll agree, Chobbers. Granted, the T Break competition has slightly more merit - the winning band(s) get to play at T in the Park. Even that, though, is a political minefield not worth bothering about.

to a point..................but a gig's a gig whether it's playing to thousand's in a festival field or playing to 15 young neeps, who don't really want to hear you at a BOTB

Personally I would avoid the competition route, but they exist & bands enter & heck you never know they might just win, although it's a sair fecht. Treat it like a "normal gig" & half the battles won already

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Jun-06, 03:09
That's half the battle, Chobbers, yes. You have the right attitude. Anyways, where's Estrella? I thought they'd come out and fight their corner by now? Hmmm... funny that.

theboysintheband
15-Jun-06, 17:11
Na am not in Estrella. I dont really even know them. Im in a band tryin' to do things 'the hard way', thats why i agree with almost every word u said.

Although i dont think T-break should be compared to what we're talkin about. The bands there go thru differnt heats in which they have to prove they are worthy of a spot on the bill. And the reward then is to be givin the opportunity to prove to Scotland (and half of bleedin England this year) that you are one of the 12 best unsigned live acts in the Country. Not one of the best salesmen(as it is in this case).

Estrella seem to be doin alright for themselves as it is, so like u said pepsi, they should get oot of that thing.

Jeid
15-Jun-06, 17:17
I don't really agree with what you say about T-Break.

Ok, you have to be kinda good to win, but at the end of the day, it is only an opinion that these 12 bands are "the best unsigned talent in the country"

theboysintheband
15-Jun-06, 17:35
Thats a fair point but when you look at some of the bands that have come along way for the T-Break stage...and then amount of bands that have come from this other scam...u'll see where I'm comin from

Jeid
15-Jun-06, 18:06
This is true, but still, both competitions have the same principals really.

theboysintheband
15-Jun-06, 21:36
Yea i suppose ur right. Thing is both way are (maybe) giving u an opportunity to let many folk hear your music...At least with takin' the T-Break road you've done it in a more respectful way. I think maybe punters will go to the T-Break stage with this in mind, but would they bother if were because of thon scam up the page

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-06, 02:24
T Break is DF Concerts' ultimate smokescreen. The heats - most of them sold out - make a shed load of money thanks to drink sales (Tennents, of course) for them. They pick 12 random bands at the end of it, and that's that. Whether they're credible/worth listening to is anyone's guess. But it really doesn't matter. (They) don't care.