PDA

View Full Version : New Tesco

Fran
25-May-10, 22:59
Tesco are starting to build their new store in thurso next month and it will be open in February.

Turquoise
25-May-10, 23:04
I think an Asda would be better in Thurso - we don't need another large Tesco in the county!! Ridiculous :roll:

Rictina
25-May-10, 23:11
Oh thats brilliant for me, good to hear. :)

Kodiak
25-May-10, 23:13
I only hope it is as good as the one in Wick, that is selling Clothes ect. I am told there will be a 4 pump Station as well, this is good as it will mean I wont have to go so far for my shopping or Fuel. Roll on February. :D

Rictina
25-May-10, 23:15
I think an Asda would be better in Thurso - we don't need another large Tesco in the county!! Ridiculous :roll:

Yes I do agree.

ShelleyCowie
25-May-10, 23:53
I only hope it is as good as the one in Wick, that is selling Clothes ect. I am told there will be a 4 pump Station as well, this is good as it will mean I wont have to go so far for my shopping or Fuel. Roll on February. :D

From what i have heard (please dont hold me to it) there will be no clothing department in the Thurso store. I believe there will be electrical though.

Again....dont hold me to it!! :Razz

Blarney
26-May-10, 00:20
Quite agree with you on that. Why on earth they didn't allow them in is beyond me. There are quite enough Tesco stores, let's have some opposition and variety. That's the way to keep them all on their toes.

upolian
26-May-10, 00:25
Quite agree with you on that. Why on earth they didn't allow them in is beyond me. There are quite enough Tesco stores, let's have some opposition and variety. That's the way to keep them all on their toes.

Well said..

Turquoise
26-May-10, 00:34
From what i have heard (please dont hold me to it) there will be no clothing department in the Thurso store. I believe there will be electrical though.

So if there is no clothes section, it will just be a bigger version of the Tesco which is already there and may I add, not exactly heaving busy!!!

Thanks, Blarney! It would keep the local competition going and give Tesco a good kick in the rear. They are taking over the world and might just open up a store on Uranus. But before anyone suggests it, not Portgower...no no...

wkgeorge
26-May-10, 09:47
And once they take 'over the world' wait and see the prices then !!!!

balto
26-May-10, 10:15

we are going to be having a clothing department, not as big as the wick one though

Phill
26-May-10, 10:17
Give us an A, give us an S, give us....oh!

scrabster view
26-May-10, 12:43
Tesco are starting to build their new store in thurso next month and it will be open in February.

It this fact?

macbreeza
26-May-10, 13:52
I am not much interested in Tesco in Wick or Thurso I don't see what the big attraction is and the clothes are ok but not the best cut etc. I much prefer Asda but really I don't waste my life thinking about supermarkets all that much I am bombarded enough with ads on TV and internet.

I will be happy if it provides a few more jobs which are badly needed! A new supermarket I feel is not but that's Tesco for you, trying to take over the world. Also what is going to happen to the old site? Hmm hopefully not a Haldanes :D

bluemafia
26-May-10, 16:07
why! what is wrong with Haldanes?

Kodiak
26-May-10, 16:13

Wrong question..............You should ask what is Right with Haldanes.......Answer......Nothing.

Metalattakk
26-May-10, 16:13
It this fact?

It would appear so (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8177/Spring_2011_opening_for_Tesco_store.html).

Perambulate
26-May-10, 16:15
Its gd that tescos are finally going to make a start on the mart site but the thing i would most like to hear about is are they going to haul the supplies for the store up by train and make use of the siding at thurso station? It would tick all the right boxes with road safty and green types and might go towards getting the line improved between thurso and inverness.

Personally i think its the best idea ever what do the rest of the org think?

Loraine
26-May-10, 16:59
Looks like the new store will be considerably smaller than the one in Wick : http://md.emperor-design.com/thurso.aspx

The Wick store is 50,000sq ft whereas the Thurso store will be 30,000sq ft - just over half the size. Still, at least we'll have cheaper fuel over this side of the county......:D

series2A
26-May-10, 17:01
I am not much interested in Tesco in Wick or Thurso I don't see what the big attraction is and the clothes are ok but not the best cut etc. I much prefer Asda but really I don't waste my life thinking about supermarkets all that much I am bombarded enough with ads on TV and internet.

I will be happy if it provides a few more jobs which are badly needed! A new supermarket I feel is not but that's Tesco for you, trying to take over the world. Also what is going to happen to the old site? Hmm hopefully not a Haldanes :D

Do you think in the long run it will kill jobs as other shops will shut not being able to compete with Tesco's car parking, prices, convenience.

ShelleyCowie
26-May-10, 17:28
we are going to be having a clothing department, not as big as the wick one though

Ahh cool ok! :) As i said it was just what i heard anyways!

gosh thats well far for u til walk to work now :( Up my way tho haha x

viking
26-May-10, 19:09
What is Haldanes?

Commore
26-May-10, 19:25

Must make a note, to remember, to forget Tesco.

concerned resident
27-May-10, 07:33
The New store should give us a better choice of goods and hopefully cheaper prices, but more important is that they have petrol pumps and charge the same price as they do in the rest of Highland, then we may see the decline of the blood suckers that have ripped us of all these years.

pentlander
27-May-10, 10:34
The New store should give us a better choice of goods and hopefully cheaper prices, but more important is that they have petrol pumps and charge the same price as they do in the rest of Highland, then we may see the decline of the blood suckers that have ripped us of all these years.

Before you post such ignorant drivel maybe it would be a good idea to know some of the facts about petrol retailing. Tescos of course is a public service and would not dream of tying to make profit out of it's customers.

Whilst I despair at the price we pay for fuel can people please stop this crap about the local stations. Instead turn your anger towards the government whose tax increases have forced up the price.
Tell me concerned resident what do you do for a living and would you do it for less?

golach
27-May-10, 10:53

IMHO, Tesco are as much a rip off company as most, I travelled North last week and was comparing the fuel prices all the way from Edinburgh to Wick, they ranged from 128.9 for unleaded & 129.9 for diesel all the way up, we called in at Morrisons in Alness, on the advice I had from Changilass and paid 119.9 for diesel, passed Tesco on the way to Gills bay ferry and their prices were 126.9 for unleaded and 128.9 for diesel, Big deal!!!!!!!

macbreeza
27-May-10, 11:00
Do you think in the long run it will kill jobs as other shops will shut not being able to compete with Tesco's car parking, prices, convenience.

What other shops?? Doesn't everyone go to Tesco now anyways? There is the big one in Wick and the one in Thurso.......I don't buy much locally I do most of my shopping online. Foodwise I do go to Tesco but also to Co-op and my shop up the road I am not brand loyal to one place.

If shops shut its because they have been complacent and expect the same results regardless of the change that is going on around them. Thats retail for you it's always going to be like that you need to be giving people what they want or they will go elsewhere. I don't think people are as loyal as they once were. It's a case of use it or lose it I think. It makes me laugh when folk fight to stop local businesses closing........and the big ones coming in taking over yet I bet they will be the first ones there signing up for their clubcard!

Maybe if more local shops stayed open DURING lunchtime they would get on a bit better.

Green_not_greed
27-May-10, 12:33

I hear they're going to call it the Saxon-Smith building in recognition of the two councillors who threw out the ASDA planning application!

Puzzled
27-May-10, 12:36
I hear they're going to call it the Saxon-Smith building in recognition of the two councillors who threw out the ASDA planning application!

Seem to remember that there was also a MacKay who voted against ASDA!

davie
27-May-10, 12:39
That is a wonderful idea.[lol]

These guardians of our shopping choice certainly should be applauded and I have no doubt they will be first in the line-up for bonus points [lol]

OK - add the MackAy whoever he is

onecalledk
27-May-10, 13:05

Tesco have local prices, tesco in wick does not charge the same price as tesco in Inverness and Tesco in Inverness does not charge the same as Tesco in Elgin which is always cheaper as it has a competitor in the shape of ASDA.

Having lived in Inverness and paid DEARER petrol than those 50 miles away its the same scenario that tesco will no doubt repeat up here. People in Inverness campaigned for long enough to get the petrol price at tesco the same as their store in Inverness.

They may well be "cheaper" than local garages but dont expect it to be the same price as Inverness or Elgin etc .......

Inverness has got Tesco coming out of its ears and as such there is less choice. The store in Thurso is probably not busy because the prices are higher than they are in say Wick which is a large store footage. The dearest prices are to be had in a tesco metro store....

Do you know that shopping with tesco online is CHEAPER than actually visiting the store in WIck ? Did an online shopping one week, following week went to store and bought more less the same stuff and the price difference was over £40!! on a weeks shopping !!!! MORE deals online than instore and have yet to visit and buy in store and get a deal that shows at the checkout.... ALWAYS check your receipt before leaving the store, the prices on the shelves dont always match the price on the till ......

K

Puzzled
27-May-10, 13:26
That is a wonderful idea.[lol]

These guardians of our shopping choice certainly should be applauded and I have no doubt they will be first in the line-up for bonus points [lol]

OK - add the MackAy whoever he is

Donnie MacKay

dafi
27-May-10, 14:13
On this side of the water we are just awating the rebuilding of tescos newer bigger super store. Over the last few years with tescos and liddls we have seen a contraction in local busness with a few going to the wall. I dont have much problem with folks going to shop at tescos after all price and choice should be enjoyed for all. The thing that concerns me is that we will see another contraction in local retailing as the non food side takes hold. It may soon be the case that we dont have a choice of twenty different and slightly more expensive tellys for sale but are reduced to three of four cheap ones at a super store! We cant nip down to Inverness and back to take advantage of the big shops, we may just end up with tescos or going online and buying unseen.

I dont think big stores monopolising small comunities retail outlets is ultmately a good thing.

pinklady
27-May-10, 17:03
i am not in a hurry for the new tesco to open, think its a terrible site in the first place between two schools, an accident waiting to happen

rob1
27-May-10, 17:29
i am not in a hurry for the new tesco to open, think its a terrible site in the first place between two schools, an accident waiting to happen

What a very good point.

ducati
27-May-10, 17:43

It will increase traffic up Ormlie road by a huge margin too!

balto
27-May-10, 18:16
Ahh cool ok! :) As i said it was just what i heard anyways!

gosh thats well far for u til walk to work now :( Up my way tho haha x
just say it lol, cant leave 10mins before my shift starts then lol.+

Sara Jevo
27-May-10, 21:02
If you want to understand the ruthless corporate greed that drives Tesco - and destroys local supply chains, competitiveness and diversity on a global scale - read Tescopoly by Andrew Simms.

I picked up a copy in a charity book shop for a couple of quid.

Unless the market in Caithness is increasing, Tesco's desire to increase it's take from local shoppers will mean a decrease in the take of others, leading ultimately to less competition and an even more dominant position for Tesco.

This is being repeated across the world, with appalling consequences for the environment and the sustainability of local communities.

According to Simms, Tesco is one of four global corporations that now control some two-thirds of the world's entire food supply. The supply chain itself is being co-erced by these corporations to function on a global scale, too.

We're all things to all men, all women . . . our market share of UK retailing is 12.5 % - that leaves 87.5 % to go after

- Sir Terry Leahy, Tesco CEO, 2004

Before rushing to welcome an even bigger Tesco - and an even bigger drain of money from Caithness into its shareholders pockets that reduces the choice of local shoppers through business shrinkage - have a read of Simms book.

There are plenty websites, too, dedicated to resisting the monopolisation of communities by Tesco.

We are all things to all men, all women . . . our market share of UK retailing is 12.5 per cent - that leaves 87.5 per cent to go after.

- Sir Terry Leahy, Tesco CEO, 2004

maidenmania
27-May-10, 21:26
Will be the death of thurso town centre just go round england where there are many towns which are now merely a series of huge supermarkets and retail parks. You wont be screaming for a big Tesco/Asda in 15 years time you will want your town centre with local shops back!

Kodiak
27-May-10, 21:55
I doubt very much that the building of the new Tesco Store in Thurso will make much difference at all.

The reason I say this is that we already have Tesco in Thurso and when the new Store is Built the old one will close. The new Store will be bigger but not by much. The only real difference will be the Fuel Pumps and that will effect the other Petrol Stations in Thurso.

As to buying clothes, well people who want to buy from Tesco just go through to Wick and these people will now be able to buy some of what they want in the new Store.

So I do not think the new store will make that much of an inpact on the way we shop in thurso, just will make it easier for some people that is all. People like me as the new Store will only be a short walk away.

Turquoise
27-May-10, 22:39
I doubt very much that the building of the new Tesco Store in Thurso will make much difference at all.

The reason I say this is that we already have Tesco in Thurso and when the new Store is Built the old one will close. The new Store will be bigger but not by much. The only real difference will be the Fuel Pumps and that will effect the other Petrol Stations in Thurso.

As to buying clothes, well people who want to buy from Tesco just go through to Wick and these people will now be able to buy some of what they want in the new Store.

So I do not think the new store will make that much of an inpact on the way we shop in Thurso, just will make it easier for some people that is all. People like me as the new Store will only be a short walk away.

I agree, I shop where I like and I like where I shop! I do lots of general shopping in local shops, but where they cannot cater my needs, I will go to Tesco.

As someone has previously said on another post, many of the local shops still shut at lunch which is ridiculous in this day and age. So when most of the working masses, who can spend their hard earned cash, are able to go for a browse around the shops, they're shut!!!!

The clothes shops in the county haven't catered for anyone above the age of 13 and a size 12 within living memory and the mens clothes depts may as well be non-existent. I used to buy clothes in the town when I was younger but there's barely anything between 13 and 65 in the towns to choose from, so I and many people are forced to do clothes shopping in Inverness or online.

So yes, I'll be very happy when there's an affordable and realistic alternative, in Thurso, to buying clothes from local retailers!

concerned resident
28-May-10, 00:55
[QUOTE=pentlander; Before you post such ignorant drivel maybe it would be a good idea to know some of the facts about petrol retailing. Tescos of course is a public service and would not dream of tying to make profit out of it's customers.

Whilst I despair at the price we pay for fuel can people please stop this crap about the local stations. Instead turn your anger towards the government whose tax increases have forced up the price.
Tell me concerned resident what do you do for a living and would you do it for less?[/QUOTE]

I live on the Thurso side and our prices are usually more than the Wick side, and its been like that for some years, and i admit that the government are also to blame, but i also believe the garages in Thurso have been ripping us off as well, i am sorry if you own a garage or or your relations, as you seam to take my remarks very pesonally. i have had to take a reduction in my living exspenses because i have been haveing to pay an extra surcharge on my petrol prices in Thurso.

robglysen
28-May-10, 07:19
I cant see them getting stock up by rail, the stock policy is a 'Just in time' one, meaning they buy some more in just in time before it runs out. Can't see them waiting for a train.

northener
28-May-10, 08:20
I cant see them getting stock up by rail, the stock policy is a 'Just in time' one, meaning they buy some more in just in time before it runs out. Can't see them waiting for a train.

..which usually turns out to be 'Just too late'.......

Bill Fernie
28-May-10, 09:02
A couple of posts have been removed. A post making a personal attack and subsequently quoted by another poster.

Personal attacks and name calling will usually be regarded as offensive whether the people concerned are named or not as it is often possible to identify from the comment or description used.

Whilst we do not wish to stifle debate derogatory comments will often give rise to complaints to us and as we have no information on the particular topics we will usually remove the items compained about.

Forum users should always think carefully before posting comments attacking individuals or businesses as there could be the possibility of legal action which even if the case is lost could prove expensive in legal costs.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-May-10, 10:26
Could Thurso or Wick become a 'Tesco town'? Or is it already halfway there?

Here's this courtesy of Sky.com

--------------------------------------------------
Tesco is helping to build homes as part of a unique tie-up with local councils.

Most recently, the supermarket has bought up land in two very different areas - Bromley-by-Bow, a run-down part of east London, close to the Olympic site, and Seaton, Devon, a sleepy seaside town with a population of around 7,500.

While the grocery chain applies for planning permission for a giant store, it is also offering the councils enough land to build what some are describing as "Tesco towns".

If planning permission is given for the east London site, for example, there will be 450 flats, a primary school, a library, shops and a hotel, as well as the new store.

The project will be handled by the London Gateway Development Corporation. "Tesco's is enabling other things to happen...they're making the residential land available," said LTGDC's Steve Oakes.

Similarly, the grocery group has bought up a large area of derelict land in Seaton where there are plans to build homes, a shop and leisure facilties.

"Millions of pounds are being invested in a new supermarket and housing developments, a Jurassic Coast Interpretation Centre, new Tourist Information Centre and Wetlands Nature Reserve," said an East Devon District Council spokesman.

"The aim is to capitalise on the town's outstanding natural surroundings, viewable on foot, by bike, or from the unique Seaton Tramway."

But Seaton's mayor, Sandra Semple, is against the project.

"Seaton's an old-fashioned town on a gorgeous bay, with nothing but individual shops, and no chainstores. Every other store is an individual trader," she says.

Home building has fallen as the recession hits local councils

"This town has been sold to Tesco. We are not at the moment a 'Tesco Town', but this will make us one. We've lost our individuality, our identity - the very things that make this place special."

The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (Cabe), the Government's adviser on architecture and design, is also unhappy.

"Retailers don't just want to build a new supermarket nowadays," says Sir John Sorrell, outgoing chairman of Cabe. "They want to redevelop town centres, with housing and shopping streets," he warned last year.

"Our concern is not only the quality of this kind of development - which is generally very poor - but the way in which architecture and places are created in the image of the retailer."
---------------------------------------------

davie
28-May-10, 16:47
A couple of posts have been removed. A post making a personal attack and subsequently quoted by another poster.

Personal attacks and name calling will usually be regarded as offensive whether the people concerned are named or not as it is often possible to identify from the comment or description used.

Whilst we do not wish to stifle debate derogatory comments will often give rise to complaints to us and as we have no information on the particular topics we will usually remove the items compained about.

Forum users should always think carefully before posting comments attacking individuals or businesses as there could be the possibility of legal action which even if the case is lost cold prove expensive in legal costs.

I missed the fuss here and understand fully why certain posts may have been removed.I appreciate that the .org Moderators & Admin people can not scan every post but they seem to miss some right beezers, or they consider that on some occasions it is acceptable to seriously malign others .orgers and even offer to "dish the dirt" on them by private message to anyone interested.
I have no doubt that many orgers have seen these posts which I find abhorrent and may even have complained about them, in any event these posts have not been removed or modified.

In view of my past history this post will probably result in sine die banishment from the .org, that being the case I can live with it, as the .org can live without me.

Tony
28-May-10, 20:55
Don't know what is wrong with Highland council by allowing Tesco to dominate as competition is healthy and benefits the customer. Lets suppose the Tesco stores push out the local retailers as suggested and then Tesco decide they are too big and decide to do a little cutback. If one or more of the stores are cut then what then? Even less choice I would imagine. So perhaps it would have been a better idea to have another chain like Asda after all. I do feel their was some underhandedness involved in the mart site by Tesco and the land owner as Asda should have been given the option before Tesco. Regarding the fuel prices well their is a difference between Thurso and Wick as a result of Tesco competition and that is obvious. Now that Tesco is starting to build then watch the prices start to level out in the local forecourts before the completion as they did in Wick.

ducati
28-May-10, 21:01
I missed the fuss here and understand fully why certain posts may have been removed.I appreciate that the .org Moderators & Admin people can not scan every post but they seem to miss some right beezers, or they consider that on some occasions it is acceptable to seriously malign others .orgers and even offer to "dish the dirt" on them by private message to anyone interested.
I have no doubt that many orgers have seen these posts which I find abhorrent and may even have complained about them, in any event these posts have not been removed or modified.

In view of my past history this post will probably result in sine die banishment from the .org, that being the case I can live with it, as the .org can live without me.

Bye davie. :lol:

pentlander
29-May-10, 09:18
I live on the Thurso side and our prices are usually more than the Wick side, and its been like that for some years, and i admit that the government are also to blame, but i also believe the garages in Thurso have been ripping us off as well, i am sorry if you own a garage or or your relations, as you seam to take my remarks very pesonally. i have had to take a reduction in my living exspenses because i have been haveing to pay an extra surcharge on my petrol prices in Thurso.
I too live in Thurso and no I am not a garage owner or related in anyway to a garage owner. I also have to pay for my fuel.
What I do understand is the economics of supply and demand. Just because the price is different in Wick does not mean Thurso garages are ripping anyone off. It is the market price.
Now when Tescos comes along with there ability to sell fuel at cost if they so desire the garages will have no choice but to try and compete, that is the market. I know one of the garages is up for sale and will most likely be not a fuel station any longer and others will follow.
There will then be no competion for Tescos and they will charge what they like. I wonder if the 'blood suckers' label will be applied to them.
Business has to make a profit. For some people profit is a dirty word.

cullpacket
29-May-10, 10:19
Time will tell Tesco will be short lived in Thurso when the decline of Dounreay really happens, Preffer Coop as they use local produce and down to earth people go there and the staff seem happy as Tesco is not the same? Local butchers and bakers are the best supermarkets do not compare and not forgetting J A Mackays for the booze and other local food stuffs.

Sara Jevo
29-May-10, 12:44
Tesco's motive is to extract as much profit as the market will allow it to.

Its decision to develop the mart site probably is one of two things:

a) an aggressive move to increase its market share

b) a defensive move to exclude a competitor from the market, e.g. Asda.

In the short-term, consumers may believe they are getting more choice and value.

That is true so long as Tesco has competition.

Local retailers cannot compete with the global buying power of Tesco, so are likely to wither unless they find a niche market.

Tesco's prices and profit margins will rise in proportion to the elimination of its competition.

There is plenty evidence from elsewhere os just how ruthless and single-minded Tesco is towards elimination of its competition.

So be careful what you wish for when you widen the door of the hen house and let the fox in.

Matthew
29-May-10, 15:11
I think Tesco's new store will be an amazing advancement for Thurso. Not only will we be able to provide everyone with even more product choice, we will also have less products out of stock and fuller shelves due to a bigger warehouse (which we are currently struggling with since the takeover from Somerfields). And because Tesco are doing a new build it means the old site will be for sale to make way for another business to make their entrance in the town.

Matthew / Stock Control Assistant, Tesco Thurso

NickInTheNorth
29-May-10, 16:05
I think Tesco's new store will be an amazing advancement for Thurso. Not only will we be able to provide everyone with even more product choice, we will also have less products out of stock and fuller shelves due to a bigger warehouse (which we are currently struggling with since the takeover from Somerfields). And because Tesco are doing a new build it means the old site will be for sale to make way for another business to make their entrance in the town.

Matthew, I hate to say it but you are simply spouting company drivel.

Tesco effectively have a monopolistic position in Caithness, and a "better" Tesco in Thurso simply exacerbates that.

What is needed is some serious competition from another large supermarket such as would have been provided had Asda been successful with their plans. As it is everyone is the county will pay the price of the councils foolhardy decision for the next generation.

Sara Jevo
29-May-10, 16:24

If I see your competitor's sign appearing on your old site, I might believe you're as interested in the wellbeing of your customers as you are in the profits of your shareholders.

Matthew
31-May-10, 06:23
Matthew, I hate to say it but you are simply spouting company drivel.

Tesco effectively have a monopolistic position in Caithness, and a "better" Tesco in Thurso simply exacerbates that.

What is needed is some serious competition from another large supermarket such as would have been provided had Asda been successful with their plans. As it is everyone is the county will pay the price of the councils foolhardy decision for the next generation.

Well ASDA will have an opportunity to make their mark in Thurso when the old shop goes up for sale wont they??? :S - As already stated in my last post.

cazmanian_minx
31-May-10, 08:06
Well ASDA will have an opportunity to make their mark in Thurso when the old shop goes up for sale wont they??? :S - As already stated in my last post.

Not necessarily - Tesco could refuse to sell it to a food retailer.

Sara Jevo
31-May-10, 09:14
Not necessarily - Tesco could refuse to sell it to a food retailer.

If you look at Tesco's record elsewhere, they "bank" land purposefully to deny their competitors land to develop.

I'd be astonished, given Tesco's record, if this site is sold to a business that will compete with their new store.

pentlander
31-May-10, 09:56
That is an extremely naive post. Look out for a dobbies or some other Tesco owned company to spring up.

golach
31-May-10, 10:01

Who wrote your script Matthew?

grumpy1
31-May-10, 13:06
It this fact?

they start to flatten the mart next month, then start building within the next couple of months

grumpy1
31-May-10, 13:11

i dont think so if any thing it has to be better.....everyone harps on about tesco(wick) taking trade out of thurso..and subsequently forgets the part homebase, argos, superdrug,pets at home etc have played in that part...if tesco thurso offers a bit more then surely folk are gonna stay this side and make do with the limited choice the rest of the town offers..if only cause it saves them the time and expense that travelling 20 miles offer them..

bekisman
31-May-10, 13:53
i dont think so if any thing it has to be better.....everyone harps on about tesco(wick) taking trade out of thurso..and subsequently forgets the part homebase, argos, superdrug,pets at home etc have played in that part...if tesco thurso offers a bit more then surely folk are gonna stay this side and make do with the limited choice the rest of the town offers..if only cause it saves them the time and expense that travelling 20 miles offer them..

Absolutely correct grumpy1 - us out West, can now call into Thurso for our shopping (and fuel of course - which IS a big concern taking into consideration the distances we have to drive)..
For those who missed the publication of when Tesco starts etc:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8177/Spring_2011_opening_for_Tesco_store.html

xtinababex
31-May-10, 19:26

i agree 100%

scorrie
31-May-10, 20:17

Sniff, sniff......I think I can catch a whiff of something on the wind here. What can it be? Ah yes:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/Wakeupandsmellthecowpoopsign.jpg

Serenity
31-May-10, 20:23
As much as I would prefer an Asda for some competition and I know Matthew is spouting the company line something rotten I am glad for this development. Basically for the few simple reasons already mentioned:
-cheaper petrol
-decent, cheap, good sized clothes.
-open on lunch hours

Most Thurso shops have nothing to worry about IMO. They already offer items the supermarkets don't. I can only advise them to look at opening over lunch times, and hey maybe the staff could smile once in a while.

ducati
31-May-10, 20:27
As much as I would prefer an Asda for some competition and I know Matthew is spouting the company line something rotten I am glad for this development. Basically for the few simple reasons already mentioned:
-cheaper petrol
-open on lunch hours

Most Thurso shops have nothing to worry about IMO. They already offer items the supermarkets don't. I can only advise them to look at opening over lunch times, and hey maybe the staff could smile once in a while.

And sell really cheap booze :eek:

bekisman
31-May-10, 21:25
-cheaper petrol
-open on lunch hours

Yes you're right there - would have preferred ASDA of course, but the Councillors were caught out - I had one ringing me up to say that ASDA can't have the Pennyland site, but would get the Mart, overlooking the fact that as soon as Tesco got a sniff, they would be in offering more than ASDA..
I often wonder why these petrol retailers continue in business considering the miserable income they get - if it was that bad; leave the business, get out.. I read earlier that Tesco will force the other fuel retails out of business and as soon as they are gone, will push up their prices; eh? - remember the good old days, when the fuel difference between Inverness and Thurso was 12p a litre (I'd bring it up for 'em at that price)..

ducati
01-Jun-10, 07:00
A bit off topic, and it pre-dates me in Caithness, but why did the Mart close. I thought one area in Caithness that wasn't on the decline was farming ? :confused

pentlander
01-Jun-10, 11:53
Yes you're right there - would have preferred ASDA of course, but the Councillors were caught out - I had one ringing me up to say that ASDA can't have the Pennyland site, but would get the Mart, overlooking the fact that as soon as Tesco got a sniff, they would be in offering more than ASDA..
I often wonder why these petrol retailers continue in business considering the miserable income they get - if it was that bad; leave the business, get out.. I read earlier that Tesco will force the other fuel retails out of business and as soon as they are gone, will push up their prices; eh? - remember the good old days, when the fuel difference between Inverness and Thurso was 12p a litre (I'd bring it up for 'em at that price)..
Again more ill informed nonsense. Asda had first refusal on the Mart in writing from the development company that had acquired the land. They chose to call the councils bluff assuming that the planning application for Pennyland would be granted. When it was not and the mart site option was not taken up Tescos came in. Asda could have built on the mart had they wished.

grumpy1
01-Jun-10, 12:01
why does this kind of post ALWAYS turn into a tesco/asda debate...
i personally would like to see an Iceland up here.....

scorrie
01-Jun-10, 12:38

I think the thread title might have had something to do with it ;)

grumpy1
01-Jun-10, 13:04
I think the thread title might have had something to do with it ;)

lol... fair point...:lol:

Turquoise
01-Jun-10, 15:14
i personally would like to see an Iceland up here.....

Don't you dare bring Iceland into this debate or else it may erupt [lol]

grumpy1
01-Jun-10, 15:42
Don't you dare bring Iceland into this debate or else it may erupt [lol]

that is really bad...but funny :lol:

BNL Are Me
01-Jun-10, 15:42
I used to work for Tesco. There's no chance that they will sell the land on to a food retailer, they'll either sell it for houses (which I somehow don't see happening) or just sit on it like they do throughout the country.

balto
01-Jun-10, 20:52
really does it matter who, where, what happens in thurso, harping on about it on here is not going to change what happens, i personnaly think it will be good for thurso to get a decent supermarket up here that sells various other things, cause come on lets face it the shops in thurso on a whole at the moment arent very good and way over priced, so mayby its high time they got a wake up call.

pentlander
02-Jun-10, 09:04
really does it matter who, where, what happens in thurso, harping on about it on here is not going to change what happens, i personnaly think it will be good for thurso to get a decent supermarket up here that sells various other things, cause come on lets face it the shops in thurso on a whole at the moment arent very good and way over priced, so mayby its high time they got a wake up call.

Which shops would that be that aren't very good and need a wakeup call?
Would that be the three cracking butchers, the two excellent fish shops? The three brilliant bakers. Perhaps you mean the excellent florists or is it the newsagents? Could you mean the off licences or the furniture places. Maybe it's the jewellers or the hardware shop?

We in Thurso are very lucky to have the independent shops everyone is so keen to knock. May I suggest that you visit other towns further south who have had a few more years and a lot more supermarket pressure. See if you enjoy your town populated by indian takeaways and charity shops alongside the boarded up premises.
Better get used to it.

balto
02-Jun-10, 09:58
Would that be the three cracking butchers, the two excellent fish shops? The three brilliant bakers. Perhaps you mean the excellent florists or is it the newsagents? Could you mean the off licences or the furniture places. Maybe it's the jewellers or the hardware shop?

We in Thurso are very lucky to have the independent shops everyone is so keen to knock. May I suggest that you visit other towns further south who have had a few more years and a lot more supermarket pressure. See if you enjoy your town populated by indian takeaways and charity shops alongside the boarded up premises.
Better get used to it.
come on, there is no decent toys shops, except if you are willing to pay over the odds for it, clothes shops now thats a joke unless ur a size 10 and under, we seem to be held a ransom up her and punished for living so far noryh with everything. im not saying that some of the local shops like the butchers are very good, but with 4 kids i really am looking forward to being able to get them nice clothes and sensiably priced toys, this is just my opinion and in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

pentlander
02-Jun-10, 10:07
come on, there is no decent toys shops, except if you are willing to pay over the odds for it, clothes shops now thats a joke unless ur a size 10 and under, we seem to be held a ransom up her and punished for living so far noryh with everything. im not saying that some of the local shops like the butchers are very good, but with 4 kids i really am looking forward to being able to get them nice clothes and sensiably priced toys, this is just my opinion and in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

I hear what you are saying. So you want another supermarket for kids toys and kids clothes. You may get that in a new tescos but you will lose far more.

bekisman
02-Jun-10, 10:10

Better get used to it.

A couple months ago we drove in from 'out west' to see about getting a couple of new TV's.. time we got in, it was lunch time, were going to look in Graham Beggs'; oh dear, 'closed for lunch' - never mind, drive over to Wick, went into Tesco and before Beggs had opened after their lunch break, had walked out with a 32" LCD HD Samsung and a 22" LCD Bush. Fair enough for any store/shop that has just one member of staff, it is difficult. But more than two? how about staggered lunchtimes?

balto
02-Jun-10, 10:12
I hear what you are saying. So you want another supermarket for kids toys and kids clothes. You may get that in a new tescos but you will lose far more.
well look at what wick got and they dont seem to have suffered to much for it, i know afew shops shut but thats just the times that we live in, i only think it will do thurso a lot more good, as the folk who go through to the wick tesco just now, will be more inclined to stay on this side of the county if they can get the same stuff, therefore thurso will have more buisness in general.

balto
02-Jun-10, 10:14
A couple months ago we drove in from 'out west' to see about getting a couple of new TV's.. time we got in, it was lunch time, were going to look in Graham Beggs'; oh dear, 'closed for lunch' - never mind, drive over to Wick, went into Tesco and before Beggs had opened after their lunch break, had walked out with a 32" LCD HD Samsung and a 22" LCD Bush. Fair enough for any store/shop that has just one member of staff, it is difficult. But more than two? how about staggered lunchtimes?
exactly they dont do anythin to help themselves do they, plus they could do with taking down their prices, and they wonder why folk prefer to do online shopping, think the evidence speaks for itself.

pentlander
02-Jun-10, 10:23
As for shops closing at lunch time, that is nonsense and how can these shops complain if there doors are closed. Totally agree. It is their loss.

Balto as for Wick not suffering, you must be looking at a different town than me.

So to sum up you are saying we need another bigger supermarket because you can't buy cheap toys or kids clothes and the TV shop closes at lunch time.
Bearing in mind that Tesco's is primarily a food retailer I fail to see how it will help either of you.

balto
02-Jun-10, 10:53
As for shops closing at lunch time, that is nonsense and how can these shops complain if there doors are closed. Totally agree. It is their loss.

Balto as for Wick not suffering, you must be looking at a different town than me.

So to sum up you are saying we need another bigger supermarket because you can't buy cheap toys or kids clothes and the TV shop closes at lunch time.
Bearing in mind that Tesco's is primarily a food retailer I fail to see how it will help either of you.
well i suggest you take a look in the wick tesco, as the last time i was in they sold everything from notepads to tvs and everything inbetween, so clothes tvs and toys are very much doable in tescos.

pentlander
02-Jun-10, 10:58
well i suggest you take a look in the wick tesco, as the last time i was in they sold everything from notepads to tvs and everything inbetween, so clothes tvs and toys are very much doable in tescos.
You have answered your own question there. How often will you be buying toys tv and clothes. Get em in Wick.

balto
02-Jun-10, 11:02
You have answered your own question there. How often will you be buying toys tv and clothes. Get em in Wick.
but if we can get it on our doorstep why pay for transport to take us 20 miles.

pentlander
02-Jun-10, 12:10
but if we can get it on our doorstep why pay for transport to take us 20 miles.
So where next Halkirk, Strathy. Point is we don't need a bigger one. We have one.
This is not about providing customers with a bigger range it is about consolidating the weekly grocery shop and dominating the petrol market.
There is only one place this growth can come from and that is the existing business, your butchers your bakers etc.

HogmanayinThurso
30-Dec-10, 23:04
Thought I would bump this for the Craig

Logical
30-Dec-10, 23:43

Careful, this gets people crazy sometimes...

gollach
30-Dec-10, 23:57
Was there any condition on the planning consent that said Tesco had to sort out the road junction before building the store?

bekisman
30-Dec-10, 23:57

Wot's a Craig? ;)

lasher
01-Jan-11, 14:02

Yeah lets listen to a shelf stacker!

lasher
01-Jan-11, 14:21
Why does everyone keep going on about cheaper petrol, a new engine is not cheap!!

bekisman
01-Jan-11, 14:53
Why does everyone keep going on about cheaper petrol, a new engine is not cheap!!
Eh? yesterday topped up with good ole Tesco Diesel in Wick (after bypassing 'the other' outlet 5p more a litre.). always used Tesco/ASDA/Morrison's etc no probs; and it ain't an old banger I've got; 2008 V70 Volvo.

But then again if some folks want to 'support their local fuel outlet'; it's free world - I'd rather the £3 a filling goes in my pocket.
One of my jobs was to inspect fuel stations, quite often the 'pit' was full of water which was obviously leaking down into the main tank.. you get bad batches in any fuel
Out of interest do c30,000 miles a year, and found no difference in MPH when we have actually filled with, say Shell, BP - Go to any refinery or storage depot and watch the Tesco, Morrison's, Sainsbury's 'branded' tankers filling up from the same tanks as the BP, Shell, Esso tankers. The only difference is that they supposedly add different additives to the tanker once it has been filled.

Angel
01-Jan-11, 15:29
Yes Bekisman... the additive is called discount!

Angel...

lasher
01-Jan-11, 16:01
Eh? yesterday topped up with good ole Tesco Diesel in Wick (after bypassing 'the other' outlet 5p more a litre.). always used Tesco/ASDA/Morrison's etc no probs; and it ain't an old banger I've got; 2008 V70 Volvo.

But then again if some folks want to 'support their local fuel outlet'; it's free world - I'd rather the £3 a filling goes in my pocket.
One of my jobs was to inspect fuel stations, quite often the 'pit' was full of water which was obviously leaking down into the main tank.. you get bad batches in any fuel
Out of interest do c30,000 miles a year, and found no difference in MPH when we have actually filled with, say Shell, BP - Go to any refinery or storage depot and watch the Tesco, Morrison's, Sainsbury's 'branded' tankers filling up from the same tanks as the BP, Shell, Esso tankers. The only difference is that they supposedly add different additives to the tanker once it has been filled.
Thats why i said petrol!!!!!!!!!!

davem
01-Jan-11, 16:14
Yeah lets listen to a shelf stacker!

A job is a job, good to know you feel so superior, if it makes you feel better thats just hunky dory for you.

bekisman
01-Jan-11, 17:54
Thats why i said petrol!!!!!!!!!!

Eh!!!!!!!!!! Been filling up with good ole Tesco petrol in Wick (after bypassing 'the other' rip-off outlets). always used Tesco/ASDA/Morrison's etc no probs; and it wasn't an old banger I had; 2005 V70 Volvo.

Noticed that you've never been a fan of supermarket fuel, as way back in March 07 you reckoned your vehicle, 'never had the same pull and it backfired, so you only buy oil company fuel now'..
But then again you've been "telling people for years not to buy supermarket petrol as its cheap rubbish".. - you're nothing to do with a filling station are you? (as we've got a mole on here).

You were a wee bit out with your "common sense idea that the new Tesco in Wick would be the same size as the supermarkets that were already there" - So think I'll work out myself if it's worth listening to your advice!
;)

ducati
01-Jan-11, 20:34

Oh right, I'll just dash to my nearest BP or Shell station then eh?

rob1
23-Feb-11, 11:48
Well it is now the end of February and 26 days until the offical start of spring (tesco's deadline for opening) and all tesco has done is knock down a few buildings. I rate the chances of opening the new store at a big fat 0%. The contempt that tesco has shown for the people of thurso is unbelievable.

I would ask for an update, but going by the assurances we have had from tesco in the past it would be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I think we should call in Ground Force and create a nice garden or somthing like that.

ducati
23-Feb-11, 12:02
The site now has piles of hardcore delivered and distributed ready for leveling.

bekisman
23-Feb-11, 13:11
fidem tene

Blazing Sporrans
23-Feb-11, 13:16
fidem tene

I do, but you realise you'll have many running to Google it :lol:

NickInTheNorth
23-Feb-11, 13:17
The site now has piles of hardcore delivered and distributed ready for leveling.

Not so, that is simply the pre-existing concrete run through the crusher they had on site, nothing delivered to site, nothing taken away.

theone
23-Feb-11, 14:18
I do

Tene Dubium

Blazing Sporrans
23-Feb-11, 14:28
Tene Dubium

Lol theone I should have qualified that to say I believe it'll happen eventually but not by this spring. And where are all these Latin scholars popping up from?? :lol:

jaykay
23-Feb-11, 15:58
[QUOTE=rob1;822937]Well it is now the end of February and 26 days until the offical start of spring (tesco's deadline for opening) and all tesco has done is knock down a few buildings. I rate the chances of opening the new store at a big fat 0%. The contempt that tesco has shown for the people of thurso is unbelievable.

I cannot beleive that there are still gullible people who still think that Tesco ae going to build a new supermarket in Thurso. Tesco already have a supermarket in Thurso and a large supermarket in Wick where a lot of Thurso people already shop. By building a new supermarket in Thurso Tesco would only be taking trade away from, their shop in Wick.
Like many others I think Tesco only bought the site in Thurso to keep Asda out and they will be quite happy to do nothing for as long they can.

theone
23-Feb-11, 16:31
[QUOTE=rob1;822937]Like many others I think Tesco only bought the site in Thurso to keep Asda out and they will be quite happy to do nothing for as long they can.

Of course, They're very good at doing that.

But I think they're running out of time, and if they continue to do nothing then planning permission could be revoked.

There will be a Tesco built there, it's just a matter of when.

jaykay
23-Feb-11, 16:57
[QUOTE=jaykay;823026]

Of course, They're very good at doing that.

But I think they're running out of time, and if they continue to do nothing then planning permission could be revoked.

There will be a Tesco built there, it's just a matter of when.

I would have thought that planning permission being revoked would suit Tesco down to the ground. What better excuse for not building than having no planning permission?
They could play the planning permission game for the forseeable future.

theone
23-Feb-11, 17:32
[QUOTE=theone;823041]

I would have thought that planning permission being revoked would suit Tesco down to the ground. What better excuse for not building than having no planning permission?
They could play the planning permission game for the forseeable future.

Possibly.

But I'm sure that on a previous post on this subject somebody said that the council could impose a compulsory purchase order on the land, if for the benefit of the town, then sell it to a new developer.

No idea what the law is though.

Cattach
23-Feb-11, 17:55

Guess just about everything. Went in once - prices not competitve, poor stock, drap shop which was hardly inviting, staff in keeping with surroundings, I could go one by why bother as most people know - shop was almost empty.

unicorn
23-Feb-11, 18:34
Maybe they will donate the land to the councillors who kept their competition out and let them in, for a new super school in Thurso................

bekisman
23-Feb-11, 22:40
jaykay "I cannot beleive that there are still gullible people who still think that Tesco ae going to build a new supermarket in Thurso. Tesco already have a supermarket in Thurso and a large supermarket in Wick where a lot of Thurso people already shop. By building a new supermarket in Thurso Tesco would only be taking trade away from, their shop in Wick.
Like many others I think Tesco only bought the site in Thurso to keep Asda out and they will be quite happy to do nothing for as long they can."
Oh my god - here we go again; 'gullible people' - Obviously I'm one of these, as I do believe Tesco will build their larger store in Thurso.. Instead of wringing your hands and whinging, and thinking YOU know what is going on in a major Supermarkets head.. why the hell don't you write to Tesco and ask em? You seem to indicate you have an inside knowledge of how things work..

Sigh. Right, the present store is much too small - nowhere near enough lines. Fair enough you get folks driving over to Wick. But then again there are a lot of folks who don't. So consequently these will frequent a bigger Tesco store. The Manager in the present store admits it's much too small.. Additionally the folks out west don't really want to drive all the way to Wick do they? so a larger store with fuel will be a magnet to them... Oh and, what is it? four stores in Inverness - oh dear that will take business away from the others; pah, piffle!

PS I see Aldi never appeared - you were wrong there too..

PS I've been in touch with The Tesco Corporate Affairs manager for Scotland and Northern Ireland, a number of times, about the fact they had actually purchased the Mart, and the reason they had not begun demolitions.. So go on jaykay; give it a go, contact the horses mouth instead of....

Cattach
24-Feb-11, 11:11
Did not quote Bekisman as too long but he/ is dead right. Also Thurso store will get a lot of business from Thurso area and beyond - As well as Thurso country area and town there will be Halkirk and Castletown trade and that from the west who will not drive through Thurso to get to Wick. And of course the car park willnot be a cold hole like the Wick one is which never seems to lose its winter feel!

jaykay
24-Feb-11, 11:12
'gullible people' - Obviously I'm one of these, as I do believe Tesco will build their larger store in Thurso..

You are spot on!

theone
24-Feb-11, 11:37
'gullible people' - Obviously I'm one of these, as I do believe Tesco will build their larger store in Thurso..

You are spot on!

Time will tell.

I'm willing to bet you £100 that Tesco will build a store on the mart site.

Are you willing to take me up on that offer?

jaykay
24-Feb-11, 12:03
Time will tell.

I'm willing to bet you £100 that Tesco will build a store on the mart site.

Are you willing to take me up on that offer?

What time frame are you talking about? This year, next year, the year after?

theone
24-Feb-11, 12:09
What time frame are you talking about? This year, next year, the year after?

Certainly if not this year, then next.

jaykay
24-Feb-11, 12:42
Well theone you are obviously better informed on this than I am and much as I like a gamble I get the feeling that on this occasion it would be wise to decline your more than generous offer. I have no inside knowledge of what goes on in Tesco's head but I think it is fair to say that thay are certainly dragging their heels on this development. I also was not aware that if Tesco do not develop the site before their planning permissipon runs out that the Highland Council could put a compulsory purchase order on it then sell it to a new developer. I would have thought that that would not be so easy. Look at the carry on the Council have had with the derelict house on the corner of St Johns Square. That has been going on for many years now and is still not resolved.
Anyway I hope that you and bekisman are right and that Tesco does go ahead with the new store.

theone
24-Feb-11, 12:46
Well theone you are obviously better informed on this than I am and much as I like a gamble I get the feeling that on this occasion it would be wise to decline your more than generous offer. I have no inside knowledge of what goes on in Tesco's head but I think it is fair to say that thay are certainly dragging their heels on this development.

I can assure you that I'm no better informed, and I wouldn't disagree that they're dragging their heels.

I just took umbridge at the suggestion I was "gullible" because I believe Tesco will build. I was wanting to see if you'd put your money where your mouth was, that is all.

orkneycadian
24-Feb-11, 14:21
I just took umbridge at the suggestion I was "gullible" because I believe Tesco will build.

Is umbridge the thing that Little Plum uses to get to um land on the other side of um river?

If so, is taking um bridge not theft and likley to leave Little Plum and Chiefy at a significant disadvantage? ;)

theone
24-Feb-11, 14:30
Is umbridge the thing that Little Plum uses to get to um land on the other side of um river?

If so, is taking um bridge not theft and likley to leave Little Plum and Chiefy at a significant disadvantage? ;)

I don't doubt it would leave Plum and Chiefy at a disadvantage, but proof of ownership would have to be provided before theft charges were brought.

NickInTheNorth
24-Feb-11, 16:18
I don't doubt it would leave Plum and Chiefy at a disadvantage, but proof of ownership would have to be provided before theft charges were brought.

I think you will find that in fact all that is required is to prove that you have taken the property with the intent of permanently depriving the rightful owner of said property. No need for anyone else to prove their ownership.

theone
24-Feb-11, 16:22
I think you will find that in fact all that is required is to prove that you have taken the property with the intent of permanently depriving the rightful owner of said property. No need for anyone else to prove their ownership.

So do you suggest my best defence would be to say I was going to give it back?

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 20:19
Bit late getting on Org; probs with Avast download..
If you need confirmation that Tesco IS building at the mart, it might be confirmed by the fact that Pennyland Service Station is up for sale? ;)

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 20:46
Bridgend..What Rubbish it is a retirement sale and has been on the cards long before tesco arrived, and for your info may be sold very soon to a Local firm from Caithness you must have shares in Tesco as you are always on about there stores,Do you use and support any local Shops ?

Hi Bridgend good job I caught your post before it went, eh! that my dear chap was tongue in cheek, did you miss the winky thing?; bit touchy aren't you - why's that?..

I don't give a toss about Tesco, I fully supported ASDA (before it was knackered up by certain Councillors).. Incidentally, I noticed among the list of names on the planning application who were 'against' ASDA coming to Thurso was the chap who owns the fuel stations in Brora and Evelix - you know; the one with the most expensive fuel in the north? Suppose folks who own fuel stations would be against a supermarket coming in with fuel are a threat, have you any personal comments on that Bridgend?..
Incidentally I would not be surprised if Pennyland gets snapped up and continues in business.. Folk often mention that there is a price difference between Inverness and up here; well to be fair and down-right obvious there is a transport penalty, which has to be obtained (although quite often prices are more or less the same) - 'some' folks seem to think that once all the fuel outlets have been wiped out by Tesco/ASDA then the prices will sky-rocket.. Ain't seen that anywhere..

Support local shops? nah, time I get in from out west they're all closed for lunch.. just go on over to Wick to spend my money in Tesco's so that the 'local' shop workers who work there, get me money.

Come on Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury's, Morrison's - bring it on..

theone
24-Feb-11, 21:04
Incidentally, I noticed among the list of names on the planning application who were 'against' ASDA coming to Thurso was the chap who owns the fuel stations in Golspie and Evelix - you know; the one with the most expensive fuel in the north? Suppose folks who own fuel stations would be against a supermarket coming in with fuel are a threat,

Yes, I did find it strange that 3 (or maybe 4) people with the same surname, Cox, from Tain felt the need to post an objection to a supermarket in Thurso.

But, with the surname matching that of a local petrol station owner I suppose it was no surprise.

For all of you who pity the poor local garage owners, and believe the lie that there's no money in petrol, ask yourself how many people could afford the most expensive house in Thurso on this webpage......

http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk/

They've been ripping the eyes out us for years.

pmcd
24-Feb-11, 21:06
Wonder if they'll be selling the milk of human kindness in this new emporium. Somehow, I have my doubts.......

starfish
24-Feb-11, 23:02
we could do with a farm farm or iceland in haldanes would be better use of a shop that whats there now haldanes is over priced

starfish
24-Feb-11, 23:03
sorry that should have been farm foods not farm farm

bekisman
24-Feb-11, 23:30
Wonder if they'll be selling the milk of human kindness in this new emporium. Somehow, I have my doubts.......

Go on what's that supposed to mean? does it apply to Co-op/Haldanes/ or lidl (worst employers in Europe)

pmcd
24-Feb-11, 23:44
I was talking about the commodity (which occasionally seems a bit thin on the ground) rather than the megashops. Lidl sells a brilliant Stollen for £1.99. Thanks to its GDR business methods, it is able to do this AND pay significant taxes to support the halt and lame. Oh Brave New World, that hath such creatures in it! Nurse..............!

andyw
24-Feb-11, 23:46
Hi as to a thread earlier about the trains bringing up the goods is i believe they cant bring containers on the train as all the bridges are to low as all the old goods trains had rounded roofs and fixed carriages so cant lift of and the square containers wont go under the bridges, Thats why trains only go to inverness with the containers

bekisman
25-Feb-11, 00:05
I was talking about the commodity (which occasionally seems a bit thin on the ground) rather than the megashops. Lidl sells a brilliant Stollen for £1.99. Thanks to its GDR business methods, it is able to do this AND pay significant taxes to support the halt and lame. Oh Brave New World, that hath such creatures in it! Nurse..............!

Hmm, GDR methods, spent some time there in 1975 - don't think Lidl's methods are what the DDR employed? bit of spying maybe..
I suppose with same 7200 stores it has considerable buying power and so the stollen is quite good value - I find that Tesco's finest stollen slices, slightly dry.. suppose bit of a connoisseur on Stollen really (lived in BRD 9 years) their Bratwurst and bock are good, Frikadellen have lost a little of their allure; now being labelled: 'burgers' for heaven's sake! ;)

pmcd
25-Feb-11, 00:36
By GDR methods, I meant the idea of making the premises so stark and unwelcoming that you shop as quickly as you can and escape to the Free West. I too am a connoisseur of foodstuffs teutonic: I was a Berliner (but not a doughnut) for 20 years, and my wife is a Hamburger. (Parents sneaky beakies looking at low-grade commercial intelligence from "over there") - as in 'the price of butter in Leipzig'. What japes. I like well run shops of any size where the main object is supplying the customer's needs in the manner elected by the customer as best. Sadly, this means the supermarkets WILL win. They have it on economies of scale, pricing, and opening hours. However, class joints like Donald Cormack, Family Butcher at Latheronwheel, will always enjoy a healthy clientele, because his meat outclasses anything Mr Tesco can offer. His pork sausages, as just one example, are fit for the Gods on Olympus, or even a toon cooncillor..........

bekisman
25-Feb-11, 01:16
By GDR methods, I meant the idea of making the premises so stark and unwelcoming that you shop as quickly as you can and escape to the Free West. I too am a connoisseur of foodstuffs teutonic: I was a Berliner (but not a doughnut) for 20 years, and my wife is a Hamburger. (Parents sneaky beakies looking at low-grade commercial intelligence from "over there") - as in 'the price of butter in Leipzig'. What japes. I like well run shops of any size where the main object is supplying the customer's needs in the manner elected by the customer as best. Sadly, this means the supermarkets WILL win. They have it on economies of scale, pricing, and opening hours. However, class joints like Donald Cormack, Family Butcher at Latheronwheel, will always enjoy a healthy clientele, because his meat outclasses anything Mr Tesco can offer. His pork sausages, as just one example, are fit for the Gods on Olympus, or even a toon cooncillor..........
As I intoned in an earlier missive I too am partial to Germanic foods - although must admit staying with my German granddaughter in Minden, I deferred the raw minced pork placed upon my plate...
Of course local butchers will far outlast the major supermarkets - that is without doubt.. but must desist from this jocular banter - it's getting late, time for sleep for this old(ish) chap

theone
25-Feb-11, 07:25
Hi as to a thread earlier about the trains bringing up the goods is i believe they cant bring containers on the train as all the bridges are to low as all the old goods trains had rounded roofs and fixed carriages so cant lift of and the square containers wont go under the bridges, Thats why trains only go to inverness with the containers

Containers are regularly taken into Georgemas Junction.