PDA

View Full Version : Council house allocations

barmar62
25-May-10, 20:52
Can anyone tell me the logic of council house allocations?
My adult children have applied for a joint council house and expressly named one street they are not willing to accept ( due to intimidation, late night/early morning parties, threats of violence, etc) The council has offered them 2 houses, both in this street, and none which have become vacant in other areas of the village!
What does constitute a reasonable reason for refusing such housing?

k1rst1n27
25-May-10, 20:59
I think the best thing to do is to ask for an appointment with one of the housing officers in the council office to explain the situation - as far as I'm aware you can only turn down 3 and then your bottom piled :( but if they've clearly expressed that they don't want to live there then I don't think this should count.

My only guess with the houses that came up that they weren't offered is that they we're maybe allocated to people who had a 'circumstance' that made them more suitable

Serenity
25-May-10, 21:19
I do not understand why your adult children should not stay with you until they can afford to buy or rent privately. Maybe just me but seems like another case of take the tax payer for all you can get
If your kids want to work hard and pay their own way I am sure they can find somewhere suitable for themselves. If they want to live off others they will have to live where they are put.

kitty
25-May-10, 21:24
I do not understand why your adult children should not stay with you until they can afford to buy or rent privately. Maybe just me but seems like another case of take the tax payer for all you can get
If your kids want to work hard and pay their own way I am sure they can find somewhere suitable for themselves. If they want to live off others they will have to live where they are put.

I think thats a bit harsh Serenity. Why shouldn't they be entitled to a council house?? Private renting is so expensive they would probably be cheaper buying. And just because they are trying to get a council house doesn't mean that they are wanting to live off of others. Theres nothing in the original post to suggest that their adult children don't work!!

ShelleyCowie
25-May-10, 21:31

O-k then....thats a bit over the top and harsh in my opinion.

I agree with kitty, the OP never said anything about them not working and that private rent houses are so very expensive now! :eek:

So i dont see a problem in people getting a house from the coucil or an assosiation. Isnt that what they are there for?! :confused

Serenity
25-May-10, 21:48
Well they should be lucky to get what they get. I just do not understand this idea that we are all entitled to a house.

Serenity
25-May-10, 21:57
Oh and I never suggested that they weren't working but getting something for cheaper than others and feeling entitled to it and on top of that complaining about it screams of this horrid entitlement culture we have now and is just disgusting.

kitty
No one would count themselves lucky to live in a bad area though would they

The whole idea of the council and other housing associations is to provide affordable housing for people, it doesn't mean that they are getting special treatment or are paying less than anyone else and i'm sure that if they could afford the other options they would be going for them instead.

ducati
Well they should be lucky to get what they get. I just do not understand this idea that we are all entitled to a house.

We're not, only some people are ;)

barmar62
25-May-10, 22:19
Forgot to mention that they are renting privatly at the moment and working very hard to pay for it. Obviously they fit the criteria to be offered housing so why shouldn't they apply?
I know the area well- the police are called frequently but do nothing. I would rather live in a tent!

EDDIE
25-May-10, 22:59
My adult children have applied for a joint council house and expressly named one street they are not willing to accept ( due to intimidation, late night/early morning parties, threats of violence, etc) The council has offered them 2 houses, both in this street, and none which have become vacant in other areas of the village!

What i dont get is if your kids stated in the appliction what street or area they dont want to stay why were they offered in the first place?
I think with the council its not a case of whether you have a reasonable reason for refusing a house its more of a case of if the council have offered them a home regardless off the area then they have done there job
Serenity i can understand why people would want to rent a council house rather than rent privately.A private house is far more expensive to let than a council housil and with a private rented house you get a 6 to 12 month lease and there is a chance the owner might not want to lease it out after that so its not very secure and thats not a nice feeling and at the moment you need a lot of money for a deposit on house which a lot people dont have?

catran
25-May-10, 23:36
However not speaking about towns,villages are probably more expensive private lets
true, where are the mammies and daddies Surely the would help their fledglings????

Serenity
25-May-10, 23:39
I fully understand why people want council houses, for the reasons you have said. I think they should be grateful for any council house they get.
Kitty I don't understand. In one sentence you say people want council houses because they are cheaper then later you say they don't pay any less.

ShelleyCowie
25-May-10, 23:50
I think everybody can understand why some people would state why they wont want to live in certain streets or whatever, one person wont want to live there because the neighbours have a dog etc etc.....

Anyways, trying not to contradict what i said before. But houses are hard to get right now from the council/assosiations. As someone said before its 3 refusals and your put to the bottom of the list.

I think that the council would try and accommodate as much as possible, but in some situations they just cant give people what they request.

I hope that they get a home soon. I understand its a pain, but sadly this is their "system" and that baffles me too! This points scheme thing just doesnt add up sometimes!

Also just to add @ Serenity - Think some council houses can be cheaper. Depends on what area you are in, type of heating and size (obviously) lol.

But in Thurso a 4 bedroom house can be £100+ from what i have heard (with the council) Anybody correct me if im wrong though!

philupmaboug
26-May-10, 09:55
Forgot to mention that they are renting privatly at the moment and working very hard to pay for it. Obviously they fit the criteria to be offered housing so why shouldn't they apply?
I know the area well- the police are called frequently but do nothing. I would rather live in a tent!tent for sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a tent for sale, it is easy to put up, room to stand, only used twice, good condition and would sleep 3 or 4 adults we used it for 2 adult and 2 kids.

open to offers

Hope this helps ;-)

Bill Fernie
26-May-10, 10:25
If you really want to understand the Hosuing allocations policy for the council and social landlords I suggest you read the latest agenda item 14 agreed at the Housing and Social Work Committee of Hoighland Council on 19th May 2010 - http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/committees/strategiccommittees/housingandsocialwork/2010-05-19-hsw-ag.htm.

The paper is item 14 - you need to open the attachement in the right hand column.

The housing allocation is based on points and not a first come first served basis. This means that any individual applicants place may change every day as the circumstances of other applicants change or new applicants appear with more or less points. In areas of housing shortage this may mean that someone could potentially be on the list for a long time if they do not have many qualifying points.

The housing shortage has continued to become more and more acute especially in larger towns but also in some rural areas. Councils are constrained from building for a number of reasons from building directly themselves and have tended for many years to encourage social landlords who have better terms with access to finance. Volumes of council house building have been extremely low or non-existant for a good numer of years and although social landlords were expected to make this up they have not managed to do so in many areas.

The right to buy for tenants has meant that councils have been losing houses each year and has only been slowed in recent times by the introduction of pressured area status suspending that right. Highland introduced suspended area status in pressured areas but this did not include Caithness where the right to buy continues. This of course means that many areas where council houses would be wanted by more prospective tenants have been bought and are no longer available to rent.

With fewer council houses the choices become lessened for prospective tenants. Highland council has been actively trying to build some houses in areas of greatest need but Caithness is not one of these areas and social landlords have generally taken up the slack.

Wick has a high turnover of tenants in certain parts and therefor there are usually houses available within a reasonable time. However that does not mean they are available in areas where many people want to go and the points system still applies.

It is always advisable in this complex area for anyone who wants a house to get advice from the housing department who can explain the position according to your own individual circumstances.

Councillors can help to ensure the correct advice is available but cannot advocate to push someone up the list for any reason. If anyone feels they have not received the correct information councillors are always happy to get it checked out.

When making decisions about whether to rent or buy another paper that was presented to the Housing and Social Work Committee on 19th May 2010 is item 5 - "Review of the Housing Revenue Account Rent Structure" Basically this paper says that houses in Highland have different rents in different areas due to historical reaons and seeks to move forward to have rents equalised across the area. This will mean inevitably that some rents will rise and some will decrease. The full details and implications of this change will be presented to the council at a later date.

NickInTheNorth
26-May-10, 10:26

To try and answer your perfectly reasonable question rather than attacking anyone that has the temerity to want to live in social housing, I would suggest contacting a council housing officer and discussing this with them as a first step, they are best placed to help in this matter.

If they are unable / unwilling to help then go and seek advice from the CAB. It will need to be your children that make the appointment and go and speak to either the council or CAB as it is their application. If you and they wish then there is nothing to stop you attending too.

To respond to the moaning idiots that believe social housing is some kind of "cheap" or subsidised option for scroungers, get a life!

Some of us choose not to be sucked in by the ridiculous propaganda surrounding the whole house ownership religion. Social housing offers 2 things that are not on offer in the stupid rented housing market in the UK.

Reasonable rents

and far more importantly

Security of tenure

and believe me, of the 2 I know which matters more to most tenants!

Try living in poorly maintained, inadequately heated, vermin invested private rented housing with a landlord that is unwilling to address any of those isues, and not knowing when you will be kicked out at a landlords whim.

The UK has the most ridiculous tenancy arrangements, and all because of the holy writ that states houses are "investment vehicles" not homes!

Boozeburglar
26-May-10, 10:30

Sheer ignorance.

northener
26-May-10, 12:02
Following on from Nicks' comments, i agree entirely with his sentiments. We've been brainwashed into believing house 'ownership' is everything. This is only a very recent phenomena historically speaking.

The Council cannot pander to everyones personal preferences, their duty is to offer property suitable for habitation to those who need it where possible. This will mean that sometimes, people will be offered property that they believe is 'not for them'. The fact that there may be empty properties elsewhere really is not a valid argument. Properties could be witheld as 'decant' properties, due maintenance or reserved for families coming up on the list.

Anfield
26-May-10, 12:09
Maybe if Margaret Thatcher, and succesive governments, had replaced all the council houses which were sold under the "Right To Buy" scheme, we would not find ourselves in this mess.

NickInTheNorth
26-May-10, 12:21
Maybe if Margaret Thatcher, and succesive governments, had replaced all the council houses which were sold under the "Right To Buy" scheme, we would not find ourselves in this mess.

Precisely!

And even more to the point raised by the many fascists - if you want to have a go at anyone regarding thoughts such as "Maybe just me but seems like another case of take the tax payer for all you can get" this charge is better levied against those that took advantage of the ridiculous right to buy legislation which has allowed hundreds of thousands of people to make huge profits out of selling what should have remained public assets after buying their rented house at a fraction of it's market value.

kitty
26-May-10, 14:27
Serenity. My reference to them not paying less was meant in regards to the fact that they are working and paying their own way. They are still working to pay their bills and i feel that they should be entitled to an affordable council house in a good area. Which as Nick said also offers them the stability that private renting does not.

I fully understand why people want council houses, for the reasons you have said. I think they should be grateful for any council house they get.
Kitty I don't understand. In one sentence you say people want council houses because they are cheaper then later you say they don't pay any less.

sandyr1
26-May-10, 15:27
Just a thought.. Live in other Countries...no Council Houses/ very few subsidies/ No general sickness benefits/ No 'free' Healthcare/ No free cars.....
I think that one has to re-evaluate the Entitlement idea. It ain't gonna keep working! Sumthin has gotta give!

S&LHEN
26-May-10, 15:31
totally agree with Boozeburglar A very out of order view on the post.

Sheer ignorance.

S&LHEN
26-May-10, 15:32
Excellent answer x

To try and answer your perfectly reasonable question rather than attacking anyone that has the temerity to want to live in social housing, I would suggest contacting a council housing officer and discussing this with them as a first step, they are best placed to help in this matter.

If they are unable / unwilling to help then go and seek advice from the CAB. It will need to be your children that make the appointment and go and speak to either the council or CAB as it is their application. If you and they wish then there is nothing to stop you attending too.

To respond to the moaning idiots that believe social housing is some kind of "cheap" or subsidised option for scroungers, get a life!

Some of us choose not to be sucked in by the ridiculous propaganda surrounding the whole house ownership religion. Social housing offers 2 things that are not on offer in the stupid rented housing market in the UK.

Reasonable rents

and far more importantly

Security of tenure

and believe me, of the 2 I know which matters more to most tenants!

Try living in poorly maintained, inadequately heated, vermin invested private rented housing with a landlord that is unwilling to address any of those isues, and not knowing when you will be kicked out at a landlords whim.

The UK has the most ridiculous tenancy arrangements, and all because of the holy writ that states houses are "investment vehicles" not homes!

horseman
26-May-10, 17:01
Thanks to Maggies get up an go ness! We bought our council house. £7.5 an now £100,00.So it is off to usa aN UP YOUR LEFT NOSTRIL.

EDDIE
26-May-10, 17:40
The other thing as well when you look at how expensive private letting is compared to how cheap it is to rent a council house i sometimes wonder if the council should raise the rent a bit and start running at more as a business making a profit so the council can afford to invest in buying more houses for rent rather than running it the way it is and not worried whether its making money or not?

buster01
26-May-10, 21:19
Well some of my advice take the house or leave it. i was in a meeting with the housing officer and we got shot down. Me my partner and 20 month old son are living in a top floor flat. its 3 bedrooms. we have been told we are housed and give them a reason why we should be housed, my sons safety. Was told not good enough, thats our responsibility. Hows thats for u. We have been on the list a year past in february.
Now thats not fair

Serenity
26-May-10, 21:26
Well some of my advice take the house or leave it. i was in a meeting with the housing officer and we got shot down. Me my partner and 20 month old son are living in a top floor flat. its 3 bedrooms. we have been told we are housed and give them a reason why we should be housed, my sons safety. Was told not good enough, thats our responsibility. Hows thats for u. We have been on the list a year past in february.
Now thats not fair

That is so unfair. Being told your own son's safety is your responsibility. Scandalous.

buster01
26-May-10, 21:34
disgusting in this day and age, what will it take for him to fall down the stairs before something is done. Advice i was given was put in for a swap, already done, or private rent there prices are way to much

Bazeye
26-May-10, 21:55
Just out of curiosity whats the average private rental and the council rent for, say, a three bedroomed house in Thurso?

NickInTheNorth
26-May-10, 22:01
Just out of curiosity whats the average private rental and the council rent for, say, a three bedroomed house in Thurso?

I'm paying £81.73 per week for a 3 bed council bungalow in Thurso.

I previously paid £350 a month for a 3 bed private rented bungalow just out of Thurso.

But now have a secure tenancy :)

buster01
26-May-10, 22:25
Imin a 3 bedroom top floor flat in thurso through cairn and im £190 a month. Most private rents mostly fully furnished are round bout £480 a month

Bazeye
26-May-10, 22:32
I'm paying £81.73 per week for a 3 bed council bungalow in Thurso.

I previously paid £350 a month for a 3 bed private rented bungalow just out of Thurso.

But now have a secure tenancy :)

Not sure of the council rents are here but theres no way youd get a three bedroomed bungalow here for less than £6oo per month.

brandy
26-May-10, 22:47
sorry but i had a wee giggle about the baby saftey.. come on.. how many people do not have stairs and babies?
thats just being
a: greedy
b lazy
c all of the above.
be glad you have a home. i was amazed at the things that people take for granted here 10 years ago when i came across.. today im still amazed.
we have a saying back home that theres no such thing as a free lunch.. over here i think its more
theres no such thing as just a free lunch.. you get breakfast lunch tea and dessest as well!
shakes head and wonders off thinking that people just dont know when theve got it made

rogermellie
26-May-10, 23:14
disgusting in this day and age, what will it take for him to fall down the stairs before something is done. Advice i was given was put in for a swap, already done, or private rent there prices are way to much

shocking mate, invite whoever the housing officer is just now, to take a pram laden with shopping up to your flat, then when they get to the flat/bottom of the stairs they have to make the decision of removing the baby or shopping first, either way your shopping will hit the deck/get pinched or your bairn will be left alone while you run upstairs with the shopping

i know, i've been there

get onto our right honorable John Thurso, he'll lean on the right people and get you a result

rogermellie
26-May-10, 23:18
sorry but i had a wee giggle about the baby saftey.. come on.. how many people do not have stairs and babies?
thats just being
b lazy
c all of the above.
be glad you have a home. i was amazed at the things that people take for granted here 10 years ago when i came across.. today im still amazed.
we have a saying back home that theres no such thing as a free lunch.. over here i think its more
theres no such thing as just a free lunch.. you get breakfast lunch tea and dessest as well!
shakes head and wonders off thinking that people just dont know when theve got it made

you've obviously never humped a pram with a baby up 3 or 4 storeys.
and these aren't carpeted stairs, they're concrete, metal edged stairs for added injury should a person/toddler fall down them.

your response has annoyed me Brandy, sorry, but walk a mile in someones shoes before you respond

rogermellie
26-May-10, 23:20

but at least over here, if you do injure yourself you'll get free health care .... or is that too much to ask :roll:

brandy
26-May-10, 23:28
uhh.. yeah i have.. been there done that.. i have walked that mile and then some.
not only as a mother but as a daughter. i am the oldest out of seven, and sorry but putting food on the table was a blessing in our house. my mother went hungry so we could eat.
am i feeling sorry for people who are gurning because they dont like where they live? sorry no.
lets go back to leaving baby in pram.. it seems to be the done thing up here anyway.
in fact babies are quite often left outside shops while mum runs in to buy what ever is needed.
a 20 month old is nearly two years old.. ive never seem a healthy two year old that needed to be carried up stairs.
in fact by that age they are usually in a break down stoller you can pop under your arm and tote.
i find it crazy that people get all that they do over here and still complain that its not enough.
if your annoyed with me well enough.. thats your perogative.. im annoyed by how greedy people are always wanting more.

oh.. i think its wonderful the NHS.. and dont get me wrong.. i will tell any one and everyone how great it is.. and how lucky the UK is to have it..
however i will also get fed up when people moan and groan about it when they dont get everything they want from it.. or its not fast enough..
at least you have it..
my rant is that very few people tend to appreciate how much that they have.
my goodness people.. do you not realise how lucky and blessed you are.
go back even here on the org and look ..
how many posts have you seen that have gone along the lines of.. wow.. we lucky that we have this.. or a good thing we were able to that..
its mostly.. gurn gurn gurn.. why can i have that .. why couldnt i get this.. give give give.. more more more....
see where im going with this?

rogermellie
26-May-10, 23:33
uhh.. yeah i have.. been there done that.. i have walked that mile and then some.
not only as a mother but as a daughter. i am the oldest out of seven, and sorry but putting food on the table was a blessing in our house. my mother went hungry so we could eat.
am i feeling sorry for people who are gurning because they dont like where they live? sorry no.
lets go back to leaving baby in pram.. it seems to be the done thing up here anyway.
in fact babies are quite often left outside shops while mum runs in to buy what ever is needed.
a 20 month old is nearly two years old.. ive never seem a healthy two year old that needed to be carried up stairs.
in fact by that age they are usually in a break down stoller you can pop under your arm and tote.
i find it crazy that people get all that they do over here and still complain that its not enough.
if your annoyed with me well enough.. thats your perogative.. im annoyed by how greedy people are always wanting more.

so you're saying you've lived in a top floor flat ?

if you were happy doing so with a 20 month bairn who's aspiring to be a mountain climber then well done, it wouldn't be most people's choice.

if it's such an acceptable situation why do Pentland housing have a policy of NOT housing toddlers in upper floor flats ? is that just to appease the greedy ?

nightowl
26-May-10, 23:36
The other thing as well when you look at how expensive private letting is compared to how cheap it is to rent a council house i sometimes wonder if the council should raise the rent a bit and start running at more as a business making a profit so the council can afford to invest in buying more houses for rent rather than running it the way it is and not worried whether its making money or not?

Please Eddie, dont suggest a hike in council rents We taxpayers are paying enough to the council and housing associations (through housing benefit) without increasing it!!!!
Would love to know how many folks are actually paying full rent, and how many on benefit, we taxpayers are supporting.

rogermellie
26-May-10, 23:53
Please Eddie, dont suggest a hike in council rents We taxpayers are paying enough to the council and housing associations (through housing benefit) without increasing it!!!!
Would love to know how many folks are actually paying full rent, and how many on benefit, we taxpayers are supporting.

i mind getting a letter once informing me of rent increases while admitting it was because they had less properties to rent ... i.e. they'd sold off most of them and needed to make up the debit by taxing those who couldn't afford to buy one for themselves.

i hate spongers as much as the next taxpayer, but in this day and age in jobless Caithness, were all a whisker away from going cap in hand to the council for a roof over our heads.

Blarney
26-May-10, 23:54

oh.. i think its wonderful the NHS.. and dont get me wrong.. i will tell any one and everyone how great it is.. and how lucky the UK is to have it..
however i will also get fed up when people moan and groan about it when they dont get everything they want from it.. or its not fast enough..
at least you have it..
my rant is that very few people tend to appreciate how much that they have.
my goodness people.. do you not realise how lucky and blessed you are.
go back even here on the org and look ..
how many posts have you seen that have gone along the lines of.. wow.. we lucky that we have this.. or a good thing we were able to that..
its mostly.. gurn gurn gurn.. why can i have that .. why couldnt i get this.. give give give.. more more more....
see where im going with this?
Agree with you wholeheartedly on this one Brandy, I too am sick of the system as it stands with everyone bending over backwards to give the greedy and those who know how to milk the system the best of everything while folk who go out to earn their living barely scrape by. What happened to aspirations when people worked and enjoyed the fruits of their labours? Nowadays they don't need to because they get it all plonked in their laps because they think it's their right. I'm tired of seeing couples living in two houses that we the taxpayers foot the bill for because they can get more money that way. They are depriving those in REAL need who SHOULD be looked after and it's all the system's fault. If we had less perks for the indolent and greedy they may find that it was rewarding to actually work for a living.

rogermellie
27-May-10, 00:01
so we can all safely assume that Buster is a sponger who contributes nowt to society and deserves to live in unsuitable accommodation ?

Aaldtimer
27-May-10, 03:17
I really can't believe this ! When I was an 18 yr old father, we lived on the fourth floor of a tenement in Dundee, I carried the pram up the 4 flights of stairs every day and down in the mornings, we lived there until the kid was over 2 yrs old....so what's the problem Wimps?:eek:

bullielove
27-May-10, 07:16
I agree with the council on this one in that your childs safety is your responsibility. Ive been there personally -my daughter spent the first 4 years ofher life living in a 4th floor council flat. I was delighted to have my flat when I had endured years of private lets.

I did manage stairs shopping child etc, and yes a house would have been better still but I was just glad to have a council property after years of big rents and insecurity. Loads of people would love a council flat (with kids too)

How I got out the flat was that eventually I saved up a deposit then I bought my 1st house. Buy that time my daughter was nearly 5 and she survived her life in the flat, unscarred!

SL&H I hope your children get sorted soon. Im amazed that they want to go for tenancy together - they must get on well unlike a lot of siblings living in close proximity

NickInTheNorth
27-May-10, 09:25
thats just being
b lazy
c all of the above.

Brandy, you are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion, however it should be remembered that the reason we get so much stuff for "free" over here is because we have chosen through the ballot box to do so. Even at the recent election there was no real majority for cutting down the welfare state.

The services are only, to borrow the phrase often used in particular regarding the NHS, "free at the point of delivery". We all pay for them, and have by and large all chosen to pay for them.

It is no good coming to live in a country and then bemoaning the fact that we have chosen to provide more services to the population than your native country. It's just something you need to get used to.

As to your specific comments, I think they are totally out of order. People that chose or through circumstances need to live in social housing still have a right to choose where to live. It is NOT safe for the family as outlined to have to cope with living in a top floor flat. They do have a perfect RIGHT to be re-homed.

Best advice would be to contact CAB for advice, then local housing office followed by, local councillor, local MSP, local MP if no success. Good luck.

If you want to get somewhere quick you could always cheat :D

golach
27-May-10, 09:41
I really can't believe this ! When I was an 18 yr old father, we lived on the fourth floor of a tenement in Dundee, I carried the pram up the 4 flights of stairs every day and down in the mornings, we lived there until the kid was over 2 yrs old....so what's the problem Wimps?:eek:
Got to agree with you here Aaldtimer, "Wimps" my wife and I got our first council home in Leith in a Multi Storey block on the 15th floor, a brand new home, we thought we were in heaven, brought up to sons, and have had to bump the pram up the stairs, (not often), but Lifts do not always work.
We stayed in these flats for nearly 15 years, survived, the building swaying in gales, fires, until we got an exchange to a 2nd floor Maisonette flat, and never in all the years of my childrens lives did they fall down the stairs.

P.P.S. Anfield this is a joke
On a lighter point Mrs G went missing for a week the first time she washed the stairs of the Multis[lol]

Leanne
27-May-10, 10:12
I feel that people in Caithness are very fortunate that the council is able to house them. South of the border if you are in accommodation (even your parents' home) you are classed as housed and automatically go to the bottom of the list.

A friend of mine left an abusive partner in the middle of the night as his violence had turned to the children. They stayed with me overnight and the next day were offered a room in a battered women's homeless refuge. The council decided that as they had a bed to sleep in they were classed as housed so weren't an immediate priority. They stayed in the homeless flat (3rd floor) for 8 months until they were offered 'emergency' housing in the roughest part of town. They were told that they had to accept it or they would have to wait like everyone else. Oh and her kids at the time were 5 and 12 months.

She has been waiting 3 years to be moved into a 'nicer' area but as she is classed as housed it is unlikely to happen :(

macbreeza
27-May-10, 11:25
Ok this is what is getting to me about this thread, is everyone forced to get a council house?? Am i missing something?

If you don't like where you live then save up and move somewhere else! You chose to live where you live! sorry guys but life is a biach sometimes and you have to decide what you want from it and where you want to go. sitting moaning about it is not going to change it.

I moved south 5 years ago and I had to rent privately and I can tell you the rent i was paying with my partner when i moved was only £200 short of my monthly wage! But I wanted to get experience of living somewhere else and working in other places so I chose to pay it. Since then I have lived in various parts of the country, Berkshire, Manchester, Surrey and again I accepted the fact I had to rent privately and pay what the going rate was.

Before leaving I owned my own house in Wick and flat before that. Now I am back and I am living with my folks until I work out what i want to do. I dont for one minute expect to get a council house right away because its all supply and demand, they dont pick on people or make unfair decisions its just how it all works I may well move again once I have saved enough for my deposit and months rent and sorted out a job. Nothing is impossible you just have to work for it and make sacrifices. And all this stuff about unsafe places to live. I grew up for the first few years of my life in the houses at the airport which where fab until they found out they had asbestos walls, everything is a potential hazard but if you keep an eye on your kids then I cant see how anything dangerous can happen.

Anfield
27-May-10, 11:40
They stayed in the homeless flat (3rd floor) for 8 months until they were offered 'emergency' housing in the roughest part of town. They were told that they had to accept it or they would have to wait like everyone else. Oh and her kids at the time were 5 and 12 months.

She has been waiting 3 years to be moved into a 'nicer' area but as she is classed as housed it is unlikely to happen :(

Why should a person decide where they want the Council to rehome them to?

Leanne
27-May-10, 11:48
Why should a person decide where they want the Council to rehome them to?

Would you want your kids growing up in an area where gun crime is rife, the childrens' play areas are covered in used condoms and syringes and the dealers' prime spot is outside the local primary school so they can recruit 9 year old to be 'runners'?

Everyone worth anything is out to better their childrens' lives - circumstance can put one in a bad place and some need help to get out of the rut. Noone can condemn anyone for doing that within the rules :(

Thumper
27-May-10, 11:51
TBH there is no sure fire way of being able to get housing-far less the house you want to get,I was one the list for 3 years and never even had an offer-even though I was being repossessed!(now before all you high and mighty get on my back that wasnt MY fault) I was told my circumstances werent urgent enough but to let them know when I was homeless!:eek: Yes there are some no so nice areas that we would all like to avoid but at the end of the day a home is a home and if you are desperate enough you wil be happy enough with it,if not I am afraid the only way to get what you want where you want is buy or private rent x

Anfield
27-May-10, 16:21
Would you want your kids growing up in an area where gun crime is rife, the childrens' play areas are covered in used condoms and syringes and the dealers' prime spot is outside the local primary school so they can recruit 9 year old to be 'runners'?

I did not know Watten was that bad. Must be all those scallies from Manchester having a turf war with Castletown mob.

pinklady
27-May-10, 16:56
why is such a fuss being made because a couple of respectable kids with good values do not want to be housed in a rough area, would you want to be?

barmar62
27-May-10, 18:30
Here are a few things (for those who think I'm out of order) to think about.

1 If my children claimed housing benefit they would recieve in excess of £100 a week to pay for private rent.

2 Is it right for the council to support "no-go" areas which in effect police themselves?

3 Perhaps if they where girls and got pregnant this would be more acceptable?

Anfield
28-May-10, 16:43
so we can all safely assume that Buster is a sponger who contributes nowt to society and deserves to live in unsuitable accommodation ?

Just like Mr & Mrs Windsor.
Do an OAP couple, with no children living at home, really need to live in a house which has:

19 state rooms, 52 principal bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices, and 78 bathrooms.
Not to mention their homes in Windsor, Sandringham, Balmoral etc

buster01
28-May-10, 21:27
ok u have all givin ur say.
Im not one of those people that sit back and milk the system, my partner works full time, i work part time and im lucky that my mum looks after my son when im at work. Im not one of those people who likes to have kids for show pack them to a childminder and go back to work full time. To me if u sit back dont work, milk the system, pack 2-3 kids out u cause u have nothing better to do then u get it all handed to u on a plate. Dont think we havent looked at buying but u need a good hefty deposit and the monthly payings are just not realistic, why put urself in debt cause the council would rather house a looser.

Anfield
28-May-10, 22:27
ok u have all givin ur say.
Im not one of those people that sit back and milk the system, my partner works full time, i work part time and im lucky that my mum looks after my son when im at work. Im not one of those people who likes to have kids for show pack them to a childminder and go back to work full time. To me if u sit back dont work, milk the system, pack 2-3 kids out u cause u have nothing better to do then u get it all handed to u on a plate. Dont think we havent looked at buying but u need a good hefty deposit and the monthly payings are just not realistic, why put urself in debt cause the council would rather house a looser.

I don't get the bit where you say that " im lucky that my mum looks after my son when im at work" and then you contradict yourself by stating "Im not one of those people who likes to have kids for show pack them to a childminder and go back to work full time"

You say that you live on the top floor, could you clarify how many floors/storeys are in the property that you currently live in

Moira
28-May-10, 22:58
I don't get you at all Anfield but maybe that's your strategy. Maybe as a newbie to these forums you should be concentrating in adding your knowledge to the mix in order to solve our "problems" as you see them.

You place a post, offering to rehome a dog, in the middle of the night and then delete it. Shame on you. [disgust] I have a copy in the event that the posting of this evades you.

kitty
28-May-10, 23:14
I don't get the bit where you say that " im lucky that my mum looks after my son when im at work" and then you contradict yourself by stating "Im not one of those people who likes to have kids for show pack them to a childminder and go back to work full time"

You say that you live on the top floor, could you clarify how many floors/storeys are in the property that you currently live in

She isn't contradicting herself. She only works part time... 2 days a week to be exact and all she is saying is that she doesn't have kids then leave them to other people to look after for the entire time. Her mum looks after her son for 2 days a week so she can keep working and help to bring in the money as they aren't entitled to any tax credit benefits. TBH i don't think that that is anyting to have a go at someone for.

Anfield
29-May-10, 00:27
She isn't contradicting herself. She only works part time... 2 days a week to be exact and all she is saying is that she doesn't have kids then leave them to other people to look after for the entire time. Her mum looks after her son for 2 days a week so she can keep working and help to bring in the money as they aren't entitled to any tax credit benefits. TBH i don't think that that is anyting to have a go at someone for.

I was not having a go, I was merely asking a question which unless it is answered by OP is still unanswered.

kjandcrew
29-May-10, 00:30
My son lived in a council flat (as i moved out of the area) into an undesireable street - he had his car keeyed - his home robbed and he was threatened by a guy with a knife and had his possessions stolen - he was working and decided to move into a private rented property into a street he was happy in, it costs him £20 more a week - he got another job to pay for it!!! and i do all i can to help him - He nor i would live anywhere else - we make the best of it and enjoy what caithness has to offer us and appreciate the beautiful scenery everyday and the lovely calm life it offers - both he and i are very very happy - anyone who complains about caithness or housing (especially if you have been here for a number of years) needs to look closer at their lives and loves. The life here isnt for everyone :) I

Moira
29-May-10, 00:44
I was not having a go, I was merely asking a question which unless it is answered by OP is still unanswered.

Good.

I have a question to ask too, unless you wish to retract yours Anfield?

Anfield
29-May-10, 00:57
I don't get you at all Anfield but maybe that's your strategy. Maybe as a newbie to these forums you should be concentrating in adding your knowledge to the mix in order to solve our "problems" as you see them.

You place a post, offering to rehome a dog, in the middle of the night and then delete it. Shame on you. [disgust] I have a copy in the event that the posting of this evades you.

The fact that you keep a copy of a post made under a completely different thread (PET CORNER) at 02:00 in the morning is very sad.
Personally, I keep/bookmark articles which are relevant or of interest to me.
What is so interesting about myself to you, that you keep a a copy of my correspondence with a fellow Orger " I have a copy in the event that the posting of this evades you"

The post was removed because my wife had pointed out thread to me and I thought that I was replying in a PM, which as it turned out was not the case and my subsequent reply was made on the "Open Forum".
For obvious reason I removed this post when my wife pointed out this mistake.

What is your point in raising this issue on a thread which is about Council Housing

Moira
29-May-10, 18:59
The fact that you keep a copy of a post made under a completely different thread (PET CORNER) at 02:00 in the morning is very sad.
Personally, I keep/bookmark articles which are relevant or of interest to me.
What is so interesting about myself to you, that you keep a a copy of my correspondence with a fellow Orger " I have a copy in the event that the posting of this evades you"
The post was removed because my wife had pointed out thread to me and I thought that I was replying in a PM, which as it turned out was not the case and my subsequent reply was made on the "Open Forum".
For obvious reason I removed this post when my wife pointed out this mistake.
What is your point in raising this issue on a thread which is about Council Housing

The fact that I was involved in the setting up of a system where threads concerning the rehoming of pets were highlighted on the Pets Forum and continue to maintain an interest there is not sad in my book.

I do that too.

My interest was with the post and not you personally.

I accept your explanation about the deleting of the post. I had thought you were on a wind-up which annoyed me. It seems I was wrong and for that I apologise.

My point is that you remind me of a dog with a bone, across the board, which in turn reminded me of your deleted post....
You're not averse to straddling different threads with your posts. I did wonder how you would react to questioning. I have my answer.

vectus
30-May-10, 16:14
Doesn't this all depend on your standards of acceptance? I don't think barmar62 say they are unhappy with caithness. Happiness, like wealth, are very relative.
The point they are trying to make I think is WHY WASTE EVERYONES TIME.
These houses are empty for weeks whilst they are being offered to families who have already said they would not accept them. Which means the council are not getting any rent for them during this time.:(

richardson.laura
31-May-10, 20:53
Now thats not fair

Thats absolutely appalling, when I was about a year old my mum lived in a high rise with similar concrete type steps all the way down, she turned to put the key in the door and I fell down the stairs, essentially ripped my nose off my face and was bleeding out my ear. I still have a scar big enough to put my finger in 23 years later. She had also asked for safer housing. A child's safety should be every surrounding persons responsibility. Council houses are great and affordable and everything, but they should be appropriate for the family living in them. Awful :(

StacNKel
01-Jun-10, 11:13
When my daughter was a baby i lived in a flat back in my hometown, i lived there on my own, with my baby and a 2 year old. i managed just fine, i lived in rough area (very rough) and never had a lick of trouble. Then i move up to Wick and live on a street where it looks lovely but it has to be the worst area i have ever lived! the housing association does nothing no matter how much i complain, my children get harrassed and bullied, car(s) have been damaged numerous times, property damaged, yet the police do nothing either. I feel for you as so it seems once your put in a property like this there is nothing you can do your stuck! I pay rent to live in a home which makes my family miserable, and as summer holidays are coming which is the time of year when it gets worse we are considering private rent, seems the only way to get out!!

buster01
01-Jun-10, 13:57
Private rent seems to be the only way if u can afford it, only prob is u cant really decorate it to the way u want. Ur rite the summer is coming up and we have no garden for our son to play in. we do have a green area but its full of rubbish and dog dirt. To me if ur homeless or unemployed u get a house thrown at u cause the rent doesnt come out of the councils pocket its the brew!!!