PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hammonds engineering program

mrlennie
25-May-10, 11:43
Really enjoyed watching it on iplayer yesterday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sl4n9/b00sl4cv/Richard_Hammonds_Engineering_Connections_Series_2_ HMS_Illustrious/

Did anyone else see it?

upolian
25-May-10, 11:57
No but i have now,very interesting,thank you :)

Shabbychic
25-May-10, 12:34
Problem is, I can't stand Richard Hammond, so the minute I see his name, I don't watch. Pity someone more interesting was presenting it. :)

upolian
25-May-10, 12:56
Problem is, I can't stand Richard Hammond, so the minute I see his name, I don't watch. Pity someone more interesting was presenting it. :)

A very interesting watch all the same :)

Shabbychic
25-May-10, 13:42
I remember I used to watch the original Connections series, presented by James Burke. Just a shame they brought it back with a duff presenter, but then again I suppose many like him. :(

George Brims
25-May-10, 17:03
That sounds interesting, but iPlayer doesn't work for those of us in the Colonies and other furrin parts. I'll have to check if they're planning on showing it on BBC America. (I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work).

scorrie
25-May-10, 17:10
(I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work).

Do you manage to get a tune out of him George?

ywindythesecond
25-May-10, 22:41
That sounds interesting, but iPlayer doesn't work for those of us in the Colonies and other furrin parts. I'll have to check if they're planning on showing it on BBC America. (I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work).
Why doesnt iplayer work in the colonies? Google bbciplayer and see what you get. Go on to TV channels

mrlennie
25-May-10, 22:51
what interested me about it was the accumulator idea does anyone know if you could make free energy out of it?

ducati
25-May-10, 23:34
what interested me about it was the accumulator idea does anyone know if you could make free energy out of it?

I'm sure if there was a free energy machine we would have heard
of it :lol:

unless THEY supressed it :eek:

George Brims
26-May-10, 00:33
Why doesnt iplayer work in the colonies? Google bbciplayer and see what you get. Go on to TV channels
iPlayer will only give radio channels outside the UK, no TV. The reason is probably the fine amount of money the BBC makes out of its cable channel in the US. I don't know if there's BBC in other countries also.

mrlennie
26-May-10, 10:18
I'm tryin to think of an idea to turn water at mains pressure into energy
When you run the bath you only need the water in it - not the pressure -
So I think why can't it run through some kind of water wheel and charge something like the accumulator up and then ---- im stuck :)

Boozeburglar
26-May-10, 10:26
iPlayer will only give radio channels outside the UK, no TV. The reason is probably the fine amount of money the BBC makes out of its cable channel in the US. I don't know if there's BBC in other countries also.

I think it is more to do with rights, etc. They 'broadcast' everything here on iPlayer for anyone regardless of whether they have a TV license, with no ads, (seems odd to me).

fred
26-May-10, 10:46
I'm tryin to think of an idea to turn water at mains pressure into energy
When you run the bath you only need the water in it - not the pressure -
So I think why can't it run through some kind of water wheel and charge something like the accumulator up and then ---- im stuck :)

You need a Tesla turbine.

mrlennie
26-May-10, 10:55
This would charge the accumulator through a pumping action rather than generating electricity. But my question is - through creating higher pressure can you generate more energy? so say the turbine pumps at .5 bar a min which charges the accumulator to say 20 bar. Is this an advantage or had you might aswell link the turbine directly to your electrical supply?

fred
26-May-10, 15:13
This would charge the accumulator through a pumping action rather than generating electricity. But my question is - through creating higher pressure can you generate more energy? so say the turbine pumps at .5 bar a min which charges the accumulator to say 20 bar. Is this an advantage or had you might aswell link the turbine directly to your electrical supply?

You could hook a Tesla turbine up to a generator and use it to charge your mobile phone or something as you fill the bath.

I'd forget about the accumulator, they aren't a very efficient way to store energy.

ducati
26-May-10, 19:21
This looks a fun project

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-an-Amazing-Tesla-CD-Turbine/

Not sure how practical though ;)