PDA

View Full Version : kid playing guitar on tv.caithness

moncur
13-Jun-06, 08:28
Has anyone seen that vid of the kid jamming on the tv part of this website? absolutely brilliant! Lyle Watt I think is his name. I think Joes got some competition!

theboysintheband
13-Jun-06, 13:58
I watched it just now. pretty darn good...i like the fact that he's quite a musical guitarist. Doesn't just play with sheer speed and well practised tricks...Very melodic. fair play til his wee engine!

K dragon
13-Jun-06, 15:43
lyle watt....i8 seen him at the high school talent show about two years ago....he did metallicas sand man and i thin a hendrix song....i was amaxed that guy is going to be an amazing guitarist and becasue hes that good at such a young age im willing to bet he could go all the way.

moncur
13-Jun-06, 15:47
So...... this begs the question, who do you think will be better 10 years from now? Joe Paterson or the wee man lyle?

K dragon
13-Jun-06, 15:53
no offense to joe as i used to play with him but i think lyle already surpasses him at the moment, i mean joe is amazing but he seems to go more for speed and shred and too many scales one after another after another and lyle mixes it up, he pauses and sorta takes you on a musical rollercoaster ride.

both amazing.

i wouldnt mind doing something with my film group...

guitar battle betwen joe patterson and lyle watt.

what you think?

tierce-de-picardie
13-Jun-06, 16:38
i msut say that wos a rather impressive video.

why does my name always have to be brought into these sorta things does it matter whos better.

k dragon to be honest with you my shred is pretty minimal ye si cna play fast but i dont often play like that most of his video wos based on speed most of it wos very scalar so i dont know why you are diggin at me for liking my sclaes when is is very structured around scales and arepgios. lol

K dragon
13-Jun-06, 17:38
i was just saying man, and youer name gets dragged into this stuff because your one of the best guitarists in thurso. dude i like your solos and stuff, i was just trying to say that the two of you have two different styles, its nice to have another great guitarist in town.

besides.......i just wanna see you two battle MWA HA HA HA!!!!!

you think you can take em joe?

come on dude...... i be knowing you....

zebedy
13-Jun-06, 21:38
no offence to all u bummers of the kid

But my boy is leaps and bounds ahead of him!... this is not a dig at Lyal Watt in anyway...

But Joe is a good few steps ahead of the boy... Lyal from wat i have seen has been inflenced by many but around the same style... Tierce plays in many different styles... play(s)(ed) for Windband playing sax... The boy used to play violin.. He is in a big band.. Lives for the jazz progression chord stuff now. He has his own stuff which bases around from anything from metal to dance funk..

figure that one out?

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 22:50
from Pass to Satch, & there's a whole lot inbetween

tierce-de-picardie
13-Jun-06, 23:11
he he lol one of the bes tin thurso i think you might jsut be over rating me a little there. yes our styles are very different his is hardcore metal neo classical based with little fluctuation in styles where as i incorprate many styles only relaly beacause i cant be assed learning other peoples songs lol dont have time these days lol. but i personally think lyle is more speed based. lol a duel would be very cool lol.

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 23:15
lol a duel would be very cool lol.

in true caithness fashion

I'll take ye's all on...................

K dragon
14-Jun-06, 02:09
hey zebedy who you callin a bummer....your the one who is IN a band with joe, and from that paragraph id say you were being a bit hipocritical.

joes great but lyle has youth on his side.....joe will be getting old and rusty......i have seen the hairs on his chin i bet he has a bad back too lol

and people come on i meant no offense, some folks are a little up tight.

and like i keep saying....I WANNA SEE A BATTLE...all in good fun of course.

Jeid
14-Jun-06, 09:17
Joe's only sixteen! Lyle... youth on his side? Ha! There's only a couple of years between them.

I'm with Joe. I think he's an exceptionally gifted young guitarist. Not that Lyle isn't, but having not really seen or heard much of him playing, I can't really comment.

Mind you, opinions are like... well, you know what I'm gonna say.

No matter what happens, everyone will have their own opinions on things.

Niall Fernie
14-Jun-06, 09:44
erm, this is getting to be some kind of perverse "my Dad's better than your Dad" thread. Surely the adults among us can see that its not great to be dragging some young guy's efforts down to the depth that I know some of you can reach.

Jeid
14-Jun-06, 11:25
My Dad is better! :D

*awaits Chobbers arrival*

moncur
14-Jun-06, 12:42
my dads certainly not better. the old mans got arthritis and can only play songs with three easy chords - G, easy C and D7! remember those books you used to get which involved only those chords? God they were terrible!

Chobbersjnr
14-Jun-06, 13:05
erm, this is getting to be some kind of perverse "my Dad's better than your Dad" thread. Surely the adults among us can see that its not great to be dragging some young guy's efforts down to the depth that I know some of you can reach.

I spent my entire formative musical life with my dad, being compared to, & told you're better than him already.........................I was 12-14

YEAH RIGHT, it seems to be the nature of musicians to want to compete with each other, or for others to stand them against one another saying "I think kid A is better than kid B". Truth is no matter how good the player is there is always something there to be picked up, learned, steal licks, however you want to put it.

Joe & Lyall are young, they have a long road ahead of them musically & it is there to be nurtured rather than squashed with naff ideas of competition, & he's better than him

Certainly the more I learn the more my father learns & it comes back to me then while I watch his fingers on a fretboard, I in turn learn

I'm learning to shred & "my dad is better than yours"~~~~sounds like a Kelis song

competition & battles in a musical sense IMHO are the anti christ of musical developement

Jeid
14-Jun-06, 13:26
competition & battles in a musical sense IMHO are the anti christ of musical developement

Kinda like a battle of the bands thing huh....

Chobbersjnr
14-Jun-06, 14:28
Kinda like a battle of the bands thing huh....

exactamundo

moncur
14-Jun-06, 15:23
exactamundo

Thats a totally bodacious word chobbers!

Niall Fernie
14-Jun-06, 15:32
I understand what you mean but it would be nice if he was here to state his own position otherwise it looks a bit like a lot of other threads we end up with here.

The "I went through it at that age" argument, although possibly true is the same reason a lot of people live a life of abuse at the hands of another.

Anyway, I'm not trying to stifle the thread, music is a prime target for critisism, just pointing out that I can see things going west as some threads tend to.

zebedy
14-Jun-06, 18:02
hey zebedy who you callin a bummer....your the one who is IN a band with joe, and from that paragraph id say you were being a bit hipocritical.

joes great but lyle has youth on his side.....joe will be getting old and rusty......i have seen the hairs on his chin i bet he has a bad back too lol

and people come on i meant no offense, some folks are a little up tight.

and like i keep saying....I WANNA SEE A BATTLE...all in good fun of course.

from ure previos post saying joe had cpmpition... In sum eyes maby.. But music shudnt be a compition but hte music board is here for opionion and i shared mine the way i wanted.

Jeid
14-Jun-06, 18:03
As Joe would say... Bummin!

Chobbersjnr
14-Jun-06, 18:33
The "I went through it at that age" argument, although possibly true is the same reason a lot of people live a life of abuse at the hands of another..

what???, I'm vaguely confused by this statement.................would you care to clarify Mr. Fernie

in particular "the life of abuse at the hands of another"

K dragon
15-Jun-06, 02:30
i was kidding about the age thing and the lyle thing, they are both great, but that still does not solve my problem.................BATTLE!!!!

yo chobbers whats worse my dude or that bodacious?

Chobbersjnr
15-Jun-06, 02:39
exactamundo takes a lot o' whuppin

don't ya think

bodacious is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo Bill & Ted

dude!!!!![lol] [lol]

Jeid
15-Jun-06, 02:50
I think both were totally non triumphant dude!

K dragon
15-Jun-06, 03:48
i thought they were both "so totally" "bodacious" "dudes" and lets not forget the "dudettes" who probably agree with me and are saying "exactamundo" right now yeah its "indie rad" "dude".

that sentence alone assures that im not going to be allowed to show my face in public again.

dude.

Mystical Potato Head
25-Jun-06, 22:53
Lyles dad here.Lyle plays the guitar because he loves to.he thinks joe is a fantastic player as do i. The video that was posted was for a bit of fun and i suggested it,it wasnt meant to trigger a stupid macho who's best shredder,legatoist,jazziest,neo classicalist,finger tapping, finger picking,finger licking good guitarist.Lyle just wants to play guitar SATRIANI STYLE.

Ann
25-Jun-06, 23:18
Well said Stewart!

Jeid
25-Jun-06, 23:33
Lyles dad here.Lyle plays the guitar because he loves to.he thinks joe is a fantastic player as do i. The video that was posted was for a bit of fun and i suggested it,it wasnt meant to trigger a stupid macho who's best shredder,legatoist,jazziest,neo classicalist,finger tapping, finger picking,finger licking good guitarist.Lyle just wants to play guitar SATRIANI STYLE.

Why? Satriani is lame ;)

slightly_funked
19-Jul-06, 01:00

well put imho talent is one thing being creative and able to improvise is what makes a good player, theres a 15 year old lad in my home town who can rip out an note for note perfect version of little wing (srv version) but when it comes to jamming a 12 bar and improvising he is lost.

oh check this guy out if yous get a chance one great player mate of mine got a few lessons of him when he was at acm

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan_NAMM_2005_Clips.htm

honestly rate this guy more than satch

nutty da drummer
19-Jul-06, 10:26
no offence to all u bummers of the kid

But my boy is leaps and bounds ahead of him!... this is not a dig at Lyal Watt in anyway...

But Joe is a good few steps ahead of the boy... Lyal from wat i have seen has been inflenced by many but around the same style... Tierce plays in many different styles... play(s)(ed) for Windband playing sax... The boy used to play violin.. He is in a big band.. Lives for the jazz progression chord stuff now. He has his own stuff which bases around from anything from metal to dance funk..

figure that one out?

yeah but the kid is like more than 3 years younger

Reev
19-Jul-06, 12:30
Satriani RULES, had to be said

also, who cares whos better than who, it shouldnt matter,

like for instance

i know im better than all of you at everything, yup, my amazing good looks and amazing musical talents are the stuff of legends

lol

but seriously, whats it matter who's better than who, is that what we all strive for, to better the one next to us

(also, none of you are gonna better me, so you all might as wlel give up now)

:lol:

moncur
19-Jul-06, 13:02
Satriani RULES, had to be said

also, who cares whos better than who, it shouldnt matter,

like for instance

i know im better than all of you at everything, yup, my amazing good looks and amazing musical talents are the stuff of legends

lol

but seriously, whats it matter who's better than who, is that what we all strive for, to better the one next to us

(also, none of you are gonna better me, so you all might as wlel give up now)

:lol:

Reev, I am better than you at many things (such as shaving, being thin, controlling my perspiration and striking a tent) oh yeah i can play guitar better than you too lol. mind you theres only one God of the axe and his name is Bones.

Reev
19-Jul-06, 13:35
so says you, but im not shocked one such as you would challange me

but i do agree with you about the legend that is Bones, a challange that far to many would be afraid to take on :D

moncur
19-Jul-06, 13:43
Oh yeah reev, bones has finally decided to buy........ a guitar Tuner!! his hearing must be going or something!

Reev
19-Jul-06, 13:48
a guitar tuner............hahahahaha

Studio66
19-Jul-06, 22:52
This thing still going on bout whos better..... both extremely talented lads but I have to agree with Zebedy, Joe is ahead by a fair gap i would say but im sure lyel will be at the level joe is at now when he is the age Joe is now. The video is pretty sweet but not as amazing as everyones making out.

zebedy
20-Jul-06, 13:06
thats what I'm sayin Studio66.... Glad someone see's were i'm cuming from...

As the thread says.. " - Amazing - "...
The way i said how i think Joe is ahead of Lyall, was not in any way a stab at the young lad, but just an opinion in which a forum is made to be expressed!

cmack
20-Jul-06, 16:37

is lyle trying to look like satriani aswel? coz i reckon if he was taller, had hairier arms, and less hair on his head he actualy mite b able to pull it off.