PDA

View Full Version : No smell of success on the Tourist Trail in Thurso

CHESTER
16-May-04, 07:11
If you take a Tourist Trail round by the riverand out towards the Castle in Thurso .It's not the sweet smell of flowers you will get .But the smell of a decomposing Porpose body laying amisted the plastic and other rubbish that lays knee deep on the shore line .All this is only metres from Thurso's very own decomposing Castle .Year's of neglect and the lack of investment in the basic's will not make the Caithness a Tourist Attraction

JAWS
16-May-04, 14:27
One of the worst examples in Wick is the Council Buildings in the Centre. They look derelict and if I were a Tourist seeing them I wouldn't even think of stopping.

It certainly isn't the best advert for Tourism in Caithness, it's disgraceful.

A coat of paint on the woodwork and cleaning the grime off the stonework is surely not going to break the Council Budget.

It's not as if they have to force somebody else into doing it, it's their own building - so they just need to get on with it!

DannyThe Manny
16-May-04, 15:28
What about the corner of Traill St and Sir George's St in Thurso, where Victoria Wine used to be? (Hamish Cameron's for those of an older generation.) I was told it had been sold by Vicky Wine to the owners of the Royal Hotel who were going to turn it into a wine bar or a touristy gift shop. It's lain boarded up since last autumn and, with the empty shop across the road in Traill St, must present an encouraging view to any tourist sitting at the traffic lights. Especially if they can see up to Prince's St and the semi-derelict building on the corner of Sir John's Square, with the attractive wooden hoarding around it, and the old Co-op Drapery / Monza Shop (or whatever it was in between) with it's picturesque chipboard covered windows.

If it does belong to the owner's of the Royal, why haven't they done anything with it? Their main business is coach tours. Surely they don't want their customers to go home and say 'Don't visit Thurso, every building around the hotel was boarded up or falling down.'