PDA

View Full Version : Young folk moving south for work..

celtic1888
24-May-10, 00:55
Im moving down to aberdeen on saturday for fulltime work.
whats your thoughts on young folk moving south to persue their careers?

has any of your children moved south for work at a young age?

sweetpea
24-May-10, 08:26
Good for you getting a job even if it's in Aberdeen. Not much up here for YP when it comes to jobs and training esp if your under 18. There's always been loads of folk who go away to uni and a lot don't come back as the jobs are further south.
Don't see why it won't work for you.:)

Leanne
24-May-10, 08:36
I moved North to persue mine. The 'south' isn't all it's cracked up to be... For one it took me 25 minutes to drive 3 miles on a visit back to my hometown today. And that wasn't even in rush hour!

upolian
24-May-10, 09:39
As ye ken lad im also heading south to carry on my work:)as i have said to you though...you will not regret moving! What's doing around here?silly gossip's(SMALL AREA,NOTHING BETTER TO DO),business's closing,no cinema,worst night life i have ever experienced,not exactly booming with jobs either is it! 4days in fife made my desicion,very nice people made quite a new few friends in a short space of time,the prices were suprisingly cheaper,so much busier,so many things to do,i wonder why i even bothered to come back up at all! Im sure once your in aberdeen you will be thinking exact same as me,caithness is pants!

Commore
24-May-10, 09:54

Unfortunately this has been a way of life for many, it's ok if you really want to go, but if you don't really want to go away, it can be hellish especially if you get homesick, but this will pass and eventually you might find that you enjoy your new independent life,
it can be a huge wrench for Mum's too, and often they are as sick as the youngster who left home in pursuit of work,
I think it could be worse for "rural youngsters" as the difference between rural and city life could be a huge culture shock,
I think it's a shame there are so few opportunities for youngsters these days and that moving away is often their only option.

I do wish you good luck as you start out on "life's adventure".
:)

aurora32
24-May-10, 10:19
Aberdeen aint all its cracked up to be, just moved up here from there, yeah there may be some jobs and there is a bigger social life etc but the cost of living is ridiculous, housing is few and far between and dont expect any help from the council in that dept. The crime rate is high cant look at someone without getting your head to play with and there are more eastern europeans than scots down there. All the best to you and hope its what you expect when you are living it......:)

celtic1888
24-May-10, 11:07
Unfortunately this has been a way of life for many, it's ok if you really want to go, but if you don't really want to go away, it can be hellish especially if you get homesick, but this will pass and eventually you might find that you enjoy your new independent life,
it can be a huge wrench for Mum's too, and often they are as sick as the youngster who left home in pursuit of work,
I think it could be worse for "rural youngsters" as the difference between rural and city life could be a huge culture shock,
I think it's a shame there are so few opportunities for youngsters these days and that moving away is often their only option.

I do wish you good luck as you start out on "life's adventure".

Thanks! I would stay here but im not being offered a fulltiem contract where i work.
Ive just finished my 2nd year at college doing catering, so thought i should bite teh bullet and move while im still 19.
Im sure it will feel weird for the first wee while, with no mum to rely on to do my washing etc!
However my brother lives down there already so I'm staying with him. Rent is cheap there as well.
Ive got a job interview next monday so hoping all goes well! :D

Venture
24-May-10, 11:53
Thanks! I would stay here but im not being offered a fulltiem contract where i work.
Ive just finished my 2nd year at college doing catering, so thought i should bite teh bullet and move while im still 19.
Im sure it will feel weird for the first wee while, with no mum to rely on to do my washing etc!
However my brother lives down there already so I'm staying with him. Rent is cheap there as well.

Good for you in taking a step to better yourself. It's not easy moving away and once the novelty wears off it can be hard if you are homesick. It's good that you are staying with family and having your independence can sometimes really make you appreciate how much your Mum did for you.;) Aberdeen isn't that far away and you can always retire to Caithness when you're rich and famous. Lots of luck for a new life.:)

upolian
24-May-10, 11:58

It is easier than you think lad,you will soon forget this place and enjoy your new territory,now when we having that night out :roll:[lol]

ducati
24-May-10, 12:42
It is easier than you think lad,you will soon forget this place and enjoy your new territory,now when we having that night out :roll:[lol]

Sounds like the Valeting opportunities are wide open in Caithness now! Now where is me business grant pamflet? :cool:

pegasus
24-May-10, 13:00
its always been that way

upolian
24-May-10, 13:02
Sounds like the Valeting opportunities are wide open in Caithness now! Now where is me business grant pamflet? :cool:

You should do it;) business grant?try from the ground up;)

sandyr1
24-May-10, 13:24
This has been the norm for many years. Moved to London in the late 60's, and 4 years later to Canada....'The Promised Land'. The bible could not have described it better, and I am not religious.
Just remember.....You are limited by your own imagination!
The World is a great place and we Scots have been World Leaders. Go for it!

celtic1888
24-May-10, 13:28
Good for you in taking a step to better yourself. It's not easy moving away and once the novelty wears off it can be hard if you are homesick. It's good that you are staying with family and having your independence can sometimes really make you appreciate how much your Mum did for you.;) Aberdeen isn't that far away and you can always retire to Caithness when you're rich and famous. Lots of luck for a new life.:)

Thanks!
it will make me more independent! al need to do all my own washin an ironing :O haha!
But as you say aberdeen is only a 4 hour odd drive away. I couldnt move any further away first off.
Looking forward to it though!

Thumper
24-May-10, 13:32
Thats the thing about caithness,we are relatively safe and have wonderful countyside etc but when it comes to jobs its pants :( My son went off to Uni last year and I know that he wil probably never come "home" again as there is simply nothing up here for him,its a great place to raise kids,but once they are old enough to need jobs thats when things change!Good luck in Aberdeen!x

BRIE
24-May-10, 13:40
My eldest two children (18 & 16) both moved down to Inverness last year for college:(. There is nothing up here for school leavers not even a decent college prospectus, & I know that its inevitable that they will both either stay there or move futher afield in search of jobs.It breaks my heart really, we moved up here to give them a better life as they were growing up & to spend more time together as a family but they will end up living hundreds of miles away from us in search of jobs.

sandyr1
24-May-10, 13:41
Just another thought....When/if you leave the UK., there are no Grants and Council Housing/ you are on your own and the Social System is non existant. Unemployment payments are based on how many weeks you work & is not good and I think 'Social Assistance/ Welfare' its called, is non existant.......a shock for some people from the UK & Europe.
Am sure you will have fun.....big step but there is a Big World out there.....even Aberdeen.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-May-10, 13:58
Soon as I could afford a bus ticket out, I was gone.

upolian
24-May-10, 14:09
Soon as I could afford a bus ticket out, I was gone.

Do not blame you!!

Whitewater
24-May-10, 14:16
There was a time when most of the young people from here had to move south or emigrate to find to work. It is nothing new. The past 50yrs since Dounreay opened created a variety of jobs for people of all standards of education, it also had a 'knock on' with the asociated support systems and local industries. Now sadly Dounreay is reaching the end of the road, and with it the work and opportunities it provided. Many of our anti nuclear people will be glad of that, but it is the start of the decline of the area again.
My fathers generation all had to leave the area to find work, that is why there were so many good seamen from all around this northern coast, but sadly,we are slowly reverting back to what we were before the war.

Angela
24-May-10, 14:17
I think this has been happening since the 19th century.

My grandparents moved down to Edinburgh from Caithness in the early 1900s so my grandad could get better work.

All my granny's five brothers emigrated to Canada in search of work as well - two of them came back on holiday, but none of them came 'home' for good.

My Dad came down from Ross-shire to study at the Dick Vet in Edinburgh where he met my Mum at a Caledonian ceilidh and he ended up having to take a job in Lancashire -not at all where they wanted to be.:roll:

Communications are so much better now, and travel so much easier, it's not the exile it once was. :)

All the best, celtic 1888.

mrlennie
24-May-10, 14:58
Yep all the best boyo glad to hear you know someone down there always good no matter where you move.

Commore
24-May-10, 15:12

Catering, a good trade and the skills learned never leave you,
hopefully, you'll land lucky and very soon you will command a wage and those employers keen for talent, will "headhunt you",
It is one of the few trades left, whereby, it is you (Chef) who is king of all he surveys.

celtic1888
24-May-10, 16:10
Catering, a good trade and the skills learned never leave you,
hopefully, you'll land lucky and very soon you will command a wage and those employers keen for talent, will "headhunt you",
It is one of the few trades left, whereby, it is you (Chef) who is king of all he surveys.

agreed! its such a handy skill to have in all day life also when older and have family etc.
Ill still be on the org from time to time when i move to see how you all are ;)

upolian
24-May-10, 16:39
agreed! Its such a handy skill to have in all day life also when older and have family etc.
Ill still be on the org from time to time when i move to see how you all are ;)

boooooooooo!!!

sandyr1
24-May-10, 16:55
Mind you the skills learned at Dounreay & other Companies in Caithness and the North of Scotland, bode well for the people.
I know people who left Caithness not too long ago, and have pretty brilliant high paying jobs in the Nuke and fabrication industry in Canada. The skills taught in the UK are sought over all over the World! I know...it happened to me in the early 70's, and to several of my relatives within the past years.
And of course the famous book...'How the Scots invented the Modern World! Sought after and prescribed reading.
Catering.....You can go anywhere in the World with that experience....we all need that to live...The best of luck...mind you, one doesn't need luck if one is competent/skilled. Well maybe a wee bitty

EDDIE
24-May-10, 17:08

caithness is a nice place to live but unfortantley there is no work up there and its just the way things is for a lot of young people they have to move away from home to get a job in what they want to do.
I think you should go and give it a go in working in aberdeen and give yourselve at least 6 months to settle in and im quite sure your brother will keep you right.
Going by what i have read on this thread it shows that your keen to work and your not afraid of change which is a good thing and its a lot better doing what your going to do rather than been stuck in a job or career that you dont want to do or end up unemployed.
And as for aurora32 comments dont listen to it things are only what you make of it?

pentlandlad
24-May-10, 17:12
I have a property in Caithness, Two years ago a company which developes leisure cars, were interested in moving up here, they were looking at about ten staff, and in about a year 30 more on a production line, I gave them Case telephone number as i thought they would help,
I actually went in and spoke to them myself, and was told there were not people in caithness to go on a assembly production line, i replied what about Norfrost. They did not want to know. Big mistake giving CASE number, Funny the company changed there mind on starting a Scottish Company in Caithness.

ducati
24-May-10, 17:12
Mind you the skills learned at Dounreay & other Companies in Caithness and the North of Scotland, bode well for the people.
I know people who left Caithness not too long ago, and have pretty brilliant high paying jobs in the Nuke and fabrication industry in Canada. The skills taught in the UK are sought over all over the World! I know...it happened to me in the early 70's, and to several of my relatives within the past years.
And of course the famous book...'How the Scots invented the Modern World! Sought after and prescribed reading.
Catering.....You can go anywhere in the World with that experience....we all need that to live...The best of luck...mind you, one doesn't need luck if one is competent/skilled. Well maybe a wee bitty

The decomissioning skills learned at Dounreay are absolutely cutting edge :cool:

George Brims
24-May-10, 17:48
I moved a bit further than that...(Hawaii and then California, for those that haven't been following)

Tubthumper
24-May-10, 18:55
I have a property in Caithness, Two years ago a company which developes leisure cars, were interested in moving up here, they were looking at about ten staff, and in about a year 30 more on a production line, I gave them Case telephone number as i thought they would help,
I actually went in and spoke to them myself, and was told there were not people in caithness to go on a assembly production line, i replied what about Norfrost. They did not want to know. Big mistake giving CASE number, Funny the company changed there mind on starting a Scottish Company in Caithness.
Funny, Concerned Resident made a post saying exactly those words a few weeks ago! Seeing as he/she was having a pop at CASE, for frankly unlikely reasons, I asked about this curious business plan (making 'leisure cars' for a saturated sunshine holiday market, miles from anywhere with sun etc) and funnily enough got no response.
So I'll ask you: Since they were unceremoniously rejected from here (allegedly) where did the 'businessmen' go to set up their leisure car business?
By the way, did you consider it might have been YOU that caused CASE to reject the idea out of hand??:eek:

pentlandlad
24-May-10, 19:26
tubthumper
Funny, Concerned Resident made a post saying exactly those words a few weeks ago! Seeing as he/she was having a pop at CASE, for frankly unlikely reasons, I asked about this curious business plan (making 'leisure cars' for a saturated sunshine holiday market, miles from anywhere with sun etc) and funnily enough got no response.
So I'll ask you: Since they were unceremoniously rejected from here (allegedly) where did the 'businessmen' go to set up their leisure car business?
By the way, did you consider it might have been YOU that caused CASE to reject the idea out of hand??:eek:

Sorry thought i had replied, The two business did come up and inspect the Building and said it was just right for the preposed development, they did send me up some email photo's of there leasure cars that they were going to produce up here, and they were very impressive. I would not say they were unceremoniously rejected, but i could not understand Case stating we do not have people up here that can do assembly work. We could do with the work up here, even if it is assembly line work. I know people who would have liked to have had a job, any job. I have no idea where they located to, but a lot of areas would have bitten there hands off to get thirty odd jobs. I am sorry if i touched a nerve mentioning Case, i had hopes of renting a building and also bringing some much needed jobs into the area, by looking at your remarks stated above, did you work for Case?.

Tubthumper
24-May-10, 19:33
Nah, never worked for them, I did do some bits and pieces although none of it came to fruition, as a result of my own gormlessness I might add!
Sorry if I was a bit dismissive, you fooled me with the different name.
I reckon in their final days CASE were concentrating on energy and oil business, and probably not manufacturing stuff. Maybe the idea of the cars was a bit high-faluting, that said any damn thing we can get to come here has got to be a good thing.
There are hard times a-coming!:~(

sandyr1
24-May-10, 19:49
Nah, never worked for them, I did do some bits and pieces although none of it came to fruition, as a result of my own gormlessness I might add!
Sorry if I was a bit dismissive, you fooled me with the different name.
I reckon in their final days CASE were concentrating on energy and oil business, and probably not manufacturing stuff. Maybe the idea of the cars was a bit high-faluting, that said any damn thing we can get to come here has got to be a good thing.
There are hard times a-coming!:~(

M Tubs....I could never see you as Gormless.. well not on here!! Just my personal view of course!

Fluff
24-May-10, 23:22
I left at 20, best thing I have ever done. I do miss Caithness from time to time, and definitely miss my family. But when I visit I am reminded of why I left.

Caithness is what it is. If young women want to stay to have kids and no career that is their choice, I am sure many of them are very happy. But I know I could never go back, certainly not before the age of 60!

LMS
25-May-10, 12:21
I left at 20, best thing I have ever done. I do miss Caithness from time to time, and definitely miss my family. But when I visit I am reminded of why I left.

Caithness is what it is. If young women want to stay to have kids and no career that is their choice, I am sure many of them are very happy. But I know I could never go back, certainly not before the age of 60!

Are you saying that it is only women that move south through lack of opportunities and that male jobs are plentiful? Or, are you saying that only women with no aspirations stay put? Well if it is the latter, speak for yourself! I think myself and plenty others have managed quite well, thank you very much. Why on earth would staying in Caithness limit a woman to having children and no career? Maybe I am missing something but I found the last paragraph a bit bemusing.

My opinion is that for those that have children, their children is the most important career that they could ever have. However, should they wish to pursue a career outside of the home, then there are opportunities out there for those that want it.

As for all the 'Caithness is boring, small-minded, life is so much better elsewhere' brigade comments - please remember that life is what you make of it yourself. Yes, we may lack McDonald's, a cinema, shopping malls etc. but look at the open spaces, beaches, lack of traffic jams and so on. Too many people moan about the lack of facilities, lack of this and lack of that and expect everything to be laid on their plate and blame others for their lack of fulfilment in life. Jobs are out there, where ever that may be in the country/world, and leisure facilities are out there too, whether it be manufactured facilities or the great outdoors.

dietcokegirl
26-May-10, 04:05
Are you saying that it is only women that move south through lack of opportunities and that male jobs are plentiful? Or, are you saying that only women with no aspirations stay put? Well if it is the latter, speak for yourself! I think myself and plenty others have managed quite well, thank you very much. Why on earth would staying in Caithness limit a woman to having children and no career? Maybe I am missing something but I found the last paragraph a bit bemusing.

In my case it's the other way around. I have a full time job which i enjoy and fully intend to persue further, i also have a 4 year old child to look after. I like living in Caithness, i have a wonderful home and social life here, and was lucky enough to get the job i'm in now. For my partner on the other hand it's a different story...
He was the one that had to move out of the county to work. He's tried to get a job in his line of work in Caithness but with no luck. So he works all around England and he travels home every second or third weekend to spend time with us. I'm used to having a long distance relationship now, it's been this way for years, but i know it hurts my partner to be working so far away and missing big parts of our wee boy growing up.
I've considered moving down to England, but in the end it seems pointless as my partner is never in the same place for more than a fortnight, we have bought our house here and the wee one is settled in school.
The job situation is only going to get worse and worse up here :(

golach
26-May-10, 08:25

This is nothing new in Caithness, my own father had to move south to Perthshire with his wife and son (me) as far back as 1946, to find work as a Ploughman, he settled in Perthshire in the C.arse of Gowrie area, where he lived working on various farms until he took a stroke aged 56, he then moved to Edinburgh, and found himself a job as a Liftman in Jenners, a job he loved, but he said it was a very up and down job ( his joke not mine). Aged 16 I decided to leave home and go to sea, I sailed the world for 8 years, and had a great time. I was then smitten by a Leith lassie, so left the sea, and ended up living in Leith and the Leith areas on Edinburgh.
I have no regrets about leaving home, and my love for my birth place has never diminished.
IMHO bairns need to be kicked out of the nest as early teenagers, to learn the hard way how much the cost of living in todays world is. How many Teenagers know how much a pint of milk, a pack of toilet rolls and any other essentials costs?
My own two sons were encouraged to do as I did, they joined the military for a short time, and are now both successful in their own fields, and with my previous tuition (before they joined up) can do the ironing for their wives [lol]

David Banks
26-May-10, 09:40
In the sixties, my sister moved to Edinburgh to go to college. I didn't fancy working at Dounreay and so 2 years later I moved to Edinburgh. She went on to South Africa, and I went to Canada.
I am so glad to have 'discovered' the org.
My sister is still waiting, I think, for high speed internet to come to her 'neck-of-the-woods' about an hour's drive south of Joburg - when she gets it, I'll try hard to get her to join the org.
We had a lot of family in Edinburgh, so it was not a difficult move.
If I could have got training and a decent job, I would NOT have left Caithness.

sandyr1
27-May-10, 02:38
In the sixties, my sister moved to Edinburgh to go to college. I didn't fancy working at Dounreay and so 2 years later I moved to Edinburgh. She went on to South Africa, and I went to Canada.
I am so glad to have 'discovered' the org.
My sister is still waiting, I think, for high speed internet to come to her 'neck-of-the-woods' about an hour's drive south of Joburg - when she gets it, I'll try hard to get her to join the org.
We had a lot of family in Edinburgh, so it was not a difficult move.
If I could have got training and a decent job, I would NOT have left Caithness.

Yes I can agree with staying in Caithness, but when I was growing up..in my teens..It was Dounreay, (saw people from the area who had been 'hit' by radiation) the Glass factory(2000 degrees), a trade...(God forbid that I would get my poor hands dirty) and the sea.......
So I took my leave and did London first, & then Canada (the promised land).

SuzieTee
27-May-10, 09:17
We (hubbie, two daughters, two dogs and a boat) moved up here about 7 years ago, having had our fill of life in the fast lane. The south of England has little to recommend it apart from the weather, it is noisy, dirty and crowded. By contrast Caithness with its relatively empty beaches, vast landscapes and friendly people, seemed like paradise (apart from the wind and the midges, but hey you can't have everything).

Although we knew the place quite well, as hubbie's grandparents lived up here, it took us a little while to realise that Caithness has the same sort of problems that you find everywhere - not much for youngsters to do, so they hang around on street corners and drink themselves silly. You'll find this happens in the 'affluent' south of England too.

My daughters are now going off to college and one of them wants to stay here, one wants to leave. Caithness is not for everyone, but I'm happy for them to go and have a life elsewhere, as I know they will only appreciate Caithness once they have left.

And BTW, I have a great career here and actually earn more than I did in England, hubbie has his own business and is doing fine. Life is what you make it, and when you move you take yourself, warts and all, with you - so if you have a 'can't do' attitude to life in Caithness, you'll have a 'can't do' attitude to life anywhere.

celtic1888
31-May-10, 19:18
well thats me down in the deen now!
been down for nearly 2 days and loving it already, got a job interview tomorrow so hopefully i get it!
been loads to do so far :)

peedie
01-Jun-10, 18:30
good luck celtic 188,

i've been in aberdeen for 3 years on and off.
its not to bad. you'll quickly find loads of people from caithness are down here.

Tubthumper
01-Jun-10, 18:50
I came here from a big city 20 years ago, and I have no intention of leaving. Sometimes it works the other way round.
But hey, good luck in your new place, keep a place in your heart for where you grew up, you can always come back to live here when you're older and have had enough of the bright lights.:D

bettedaviseyes
01-Jun-10, 21:17
i moved away 5 half years ago from wick but before i left went to the north highland college got myself an qualification in hospitality then i moved to Fife were 5 and half years later after alot of hard work now running a kitchen for one of the local hotels me and partner have a bought house never been happier tho miss family and friends i have also gained a new family and made many new friends here to. :D

bingo1
01-Jun-10, 21:21
i moved away 5 half years ago from wick but before i left went to the north highland college got myself an qualification in hospitality then i moved to Fife were 5 and half years later after alot of hard work now running a kitchen for one of the local hotels me and partner have a bought house never been happier tho miss family and friends i have also gained a new family and made many new friends here to. :D
we miss u to sis. xxxx but like you said it is good that you have done well.

Nacho
02-Jun-10, 00:24
well thats me down in the deen now!
been down for nearly 2 days and loving it already, got a job interview tomorrow so hopefully i get it!
been loads to do so far :)

best of luck with the interview, hope you get the job :)

in my humble opinion i think it should be compulsory for all young people to leave Caithness (for a 6 month stint at least) and live in a city, a bit like national service.

this would open their minds to the ways of the world (the good and the bad) and hopefully the Caithness laid back way of life would rub off on the city dwellers.

apart from meeting new friends, going to great clubs/parties, broadening their minds with exciting cultures and mind bending substances, they've got the anonymity to let their hair down and not give a toss.

if they come back with their new skills/mindset then all the better, if they don't come back then their parents have always got a place to stay in the city for a weekends shopping/partying . win/win !

Leanne
02-Jun-10, 00:26
best of luck with the interview, hope you get the job :)

in my humble opinion i think it should be compulsory for all young people to leave Caithness (for a 6 month stint at least) and live in a city, a bit like national service.

this would open their minds to the ways of the world (the good and the bad) and hopefully the Caithness laid back way of life would rub off on the city dwellers.

apart from meeting new friends, going to great clubs/parties, broadening their minds with exciting cultures and mind bending substances, they've got the anonymity to let their hair down and not give a toss.

if they come back with their new skills/mindset then all the better, if they don't come back then their parents have always got a place to stay in the city for a weekends shopping/partying . win/win !

Agreed 100%!

celtic1888
02-Jun-10, 06:58
Got the job :D
i start work in....

30 mins! :D