PDA

View Full Version : Goats milk wanted

Kathy@watten
23-May-10, 10:03
HI I am looking for a supply of goats milk for two pygmy goatlings, they will not drink formula at all since they got here and were readily drinking goat milk from a soup bowl...does anyone have a milky goat with some spare milk? Am willing to buy the milk, near to Watten would be brill if not can travel!

goldenguernsey
23-May-10, 14:45
Hi, when you say goatlings do you mean they are over 12 months old? if so they should be ok without milk, if they are kids (under to 12 months) then that's different. How much milk per day are you needing?

divanp75
23-May-10, 15:06
Like GG says if they are goatlings they should do fine without. It tends to be the males only that are fed milk for longer periods. All my female kids were off milk by six months old last year.

What hard food are you feeding them?

Diane

Kathy@watten
23-May-10, 17:28
OOps they are this years kids and have just arrived and have failed to drink formula milk, think they miss the real deal! they are just about 10 weeks old but were rejected by their mother so have never suckled a mummy but drank from a bowl ...milk provided by another helpfull goat on the farm where I got them! I am feeding them a high fibre diet as advised and they get a norvite goat supplement, milk, chaff and a bit of whole oats. Ad lib hay and acess to grass and leavey stuff.

divanp75
23-May-10, 17:57
at 10 weeks old the kids should be getting 4 milk feeds a day with as much as they will take at each feed. You need to be feeding them goat mix (sheep mix) aprox a handful each twice a day with maybe a handful of bruised oats in with it, adlib hay and water.

Please be careful as chaf, whole oats will lead to stomach issues and bloating. Their main diet needs to be milk.

Diane

Commore
23-May-10, 18:11
HI I am looking for a supply of goats milk for two pygmy goatlings, they will not drink formula at all since they got here and were readily drinking goat milk from a soup bowl...does anyone have a milky goat with some spare milk? Am willing to buy the milk, near to Watten would be brill if not can travel!
There is a couple at Bettyhill, I'll pm their email, if you wish?

Kathy@watten
23-May-10, 19:00
Thanks everyone for advise, kids are getting milk from a kindly orger, they are getting same feed as they got in Stonehaven the oats and chaff and clover mix for calves as it has the copper unlike the sheep mix. Hopefully they will resume milk drinking and be good and healthy!