PDA

View Full Version : employer not paying you ssp!!!!

patchy
23-May-10, 00:39
any recommendations what to do if your employer wont pay you statuory sick pay

thanks.

Aaldtimer
23-May-10, 03:39
I think your best bet would be to ask http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ for advice. :confused

EDDIE
23-May-10, 06:48
I think your best bet would be to ask http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ for advice. :confused

I think he pays you the sick pay and then claims it back looks like you need a new job

patchy
23-May-10, 13:21
thank you for advice, think cab will be my first stop tomorrow, yeah think ur spot on new career needed.lol.

series2A
23-May-10, 16:57
thank you for advice, think cab will be my first stop tomorrow, yeah think ur spot on new career needed.lol.

Check your contract of employment there should be something in that about what sick payment they will pay and how much and for how long.

catran
23-May-10, 21:06
Get a job in the council or the NHS and then you will have no problem with sickies.

Bartlett Boy
23-May-10, 23:23
your entitled to 10 weeks full pay and 16 weeks half pay depending if your of that long a lt works now dont acknowlege it and you have to claim incapacity from the department but go and speak to citerzeans advice and the department

hope this helps

Happy Guy
23-May-10, 23:31
SSP is normally payd by the Employer, ON BEHALF of the govt. and then he reclaims it later by reducing his Employers National Insurance Contributions by the same amount. There are a lot of fairly complex rules about SSP, so I would suggest you call your local 'JobCentre Plus' for advice, and assistance in getting what you are due! Dont be put off from getting what is rightfully yours!

sassybreeks
24-May-10, 21:26
If your employer wont or cant pay you SSP, you will have to claim Employment & Support Allowance via DWP on 0800 055 6688. You can no longer claim Incapacity Benefit unless you have had a linked claim in last 2yrs.

If you have paid sufficient NI conts in any of last few tax years you will get paid the contribution based ESA. If you havent, then it will be the income related ESA and therefore means tested. It starts off at £65.45 for the 13 assessment phase then you move into either a 'support group' or 'work focused group', which includes and extra payment.

If you are not getting paid ESA either because you have insufficient NI conts or because income too high, then you can still get NI credits, which will count towards future benefits such as state pension.

Its not the easiest benefit to get on and you will be expected to go for a work capability assessment to check your fitness for work, and that means some type of work, not your usual job!

scorrie
24-May-10, 23:09
your entitled to 10 weeks full pay and 16 weeks half pay depending if your of that long a lt works now dont acknowlege it and you have to claim incapacity from the department but go and speak to citerzeans advice and the department

hope this helps

I think you are confusing with company sick pay, which depends on which company you work for and what is in the contract of employment.

There are two types of rights in employment:- Statutory Rights, which are the minimum set out by law, and Contractual Rights which can offer extra benefits but cannot deduct from your Statutory Rights. My wife used to work for The Highland Council and her sick pay entitlement was 6 months full pay followed by six months half pay. Many jobs can only dream of such good terms!!

You cannot get Statutory Sick Pay at all unless you earn more than £97 per week and you need to be sick for at least four days in a row.

You can only get SSP for 28 weeks and your employer needs to tell you why they are not paying it if they decide to do that.

There is more info on the direct gov website:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018786?