PDA

View Full Version : Quad bikes on the road

veekay
22-May-10, 11:46
After a near miss with one of these quads I got to thinking about 'what if'. You see it wasn't obvious that the said machine was taxed or not - do they need to be taxed to be on the road? - and if not taxed what about insurance, are they insured to be on the road? If not what happens if the near miss hadn't been a near miss but a hit? In my case it definately wasn't my fault the person riding the quad even indicated that it was his fault ( not looking before leaving a field just drove straight out onto the road). Answers please
Thank you

Andfield
22-May-10, 11:52
A quad certainly needs insurance if used 'on road'. The licensing rules are roughly as here :
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/cyclingandmotorcycling/agriculturalquadbikes

EDDIE
22-May-10, 12:50
You can get quad bikes that are road legal that has to be taxed and insured and have a registration plate on it but there not common ?
But you cant buy an off road quad and turn it into roadlegal that type of quad are purely designed for off road use?

annthracks
22-May-10, 13:45
In my case it definately wasn't my fault the person riding the quad even indicated that it was his fault ( not looking before leaving a field just drove straight out onto the road). Answers please
Thank you

were they wearing overalls and Wellington boots by any chance?

Kodiak
22-May-10, 14:16
In order to be legally used on the roads, a quad bike must have EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) and a Certificate of Conformity. Several manufacturers now have type approval to produce bikes that conform to the required standard.

Under UK law a vehicle is classified as a quad bike, or quadricycle, if it has 4 wheels and has an unladen weight of 550Kgs or more. This means that it is classified as a Private Light Goods vehicle and will be taxed as such and requires a full driving licence to use it on the public highway. Quad bikes do not conform to the definition of a ‘motorcycle’ and therefore cannot be taxed in the ‘motorcycle’ tax class. You cannot use a motorcycle driving licence to ride a road legal quad bike.

There are two more classifications for quad bikes. These are for lighter quad bikes and they must also meet maximum power and speed restrictions and the construction requirements are those of a 3 wheel moped or a motor tricycle.

A road legal quad is also required to comply with the Road Traffic Act 1988. This means that it must be built to the proper standard required by law and conform to the following requirements:-

1. It must be registered with the DVLA
2. It must display number plates, back and front
3. It must be taxed
4. It must be insured
5. It must have a valid MOT certificate, if over three years old
6. It must have lights, indicators, road legal tyres, horn, speedometer, mirrors and every other element that would allow it to pass an MOT inspection.

veekay
22-May-10, 14:22
Yes Annthracks they were wearing overalls and wellies. Definately farming folk. Does that make a difference?

ducati
22-May-10, 14:24
They can also have Farm vehicle use (as a tractor) this means the rules are relaxed and 16 year olds can drive them on the road. (I'm sure someone will supply the actual rules). :D

Stingray
22-May-10, 15:32
What if..... you would have killed two "farming folk"??? Which insurance would have made them alive again??? Life insurance???
Why are you not just happy that nothing has happened to anyone?