PDA

View Full Version : Tents and small children?

Dadie
21-May-10, 22:48
Is it worth being brave and thinking of dusting off the tent and camping gear this year...or should I wait until the bairns are a wee bit older ....
Lauren is 4 in june, Iona is just 2 (this month) and Euan is coming up for 5mnths ...
just looking for a couple of weekends away (when Poppy dog is better) not too far away either so if the weather is awful we can go home, but, dont want to spoil the camping for anyone else with having kids kicking off at bedtimes either!

Kodiak
22-May-10, 00:02
I suggest that you wait until the youngest is at least 6 years of age before you go camping. This is from years of experience of being a leader in the Beaver Scouts and there we found that 6 was the Minimum age to take Beavers camping. But if you can wait for them to be older then this would be better.

Dadie
22-May-10, 00:08
Its just its such an adventure.....
I can remember being at a Boys Brigade camp when I was 5 my sisters would have been 3and a half to 4 and my youngest would have been 8mths to nearly a year old.
Its not as if they would be without mum and dad... and therefore homesick..........
Its a family holiday/weekend away......

Blarney
22-May-10, 00:18
I suggest that you wait until the youngest is at least 6 years of age before you go camping. This is from years of experience of being a leader in the Beaver Scouts and there we found that 6 was the Minimum age to take Beavers camping. But if you can wait for them to be older then this would be better.
That's probably the case if you are taking other folk's kids but have to disagree with you there Kodiak if you are talking about your own children. Always found that mine loved camping and slept like tops in the fresh air. Make the most of the good weather we are promised - just don't go too far from home Dadie at first and you will have a great time! It will be good for you too. Happy camping!

Boozeburglar
22-May-10, 00:31
Is it worth being brave and thinking of dusting off the tent and camping gear this year...or should I wait until the bairns are a wee bit older ....
Lauren is 4 in june, Iona is just 2 (this month) and Euan is coming up for 5mnths ...
just looking for a couple of weekends away (when Poppy dog is better) not too far away either so if the weather is awful we can go home, but, dont want to spoil the camping for anyone else with having kids kicking off at bedtimes either!

Go for it!

If you are so near home, what do you have to lose?

Serenity
22-May-10, 01:28
I would go for it too. I enjoyed many a camping trip when I was young and my siblings where a lot younger (youngest varying from new born to a toddler). As long as you can control the kids it would be fine.
My brother probably won't like me mentioning this, but after several trips south where he found playing in the toilet blocks a bit too much fun my parents took to just camping out west. Durness area etc.
Then when my adventuring brother got the inevitable squits even after being warned a million and one times we weren't too far from home!

carasmam
22-May-10, 07:26
Go for it Dadie, little C has been camping since she was a few months old and loves it :D I can highly recommend the campsite at Rosemarkie. Right on the beach, brilliant for sandcastles and watching dolphins and large boats passing. Not too far from home if it all goes pear shaped too lol

We didn't bother with a travel cot when she was little, she slept between us on the airbed and now has her own single airbed. She has some of her best sleeps in the tent. She's 3 now and we are off for a fortnight in June and she's really looking forward to it.:cool:

bullielove
22-May-10, 08:39
I have to echo everyone else. Go for it!! The older ones will love it - Ive been taking my daughter camping since a baby and I cant say Ive had any problems. She has always been out like a light after all the fresh air. If it doesnt work you can always come home again but with two of you looking after the bairns I would imagine you would be fine. Im sure there will be other small kiddies there too. Enjoy!

Allsorts
22-May-10, 09:07
Ours love it and have been going since they were wee, our youngest would have have been 6 months when we started and we go every year. Loads of kids for them to play with and lots of fun.

brandy
22-May-10, 09:57
we are planning to have our first camping trip this year.. don has never been camping and neither has the kids. *G* so hsould be fun. we have waited this long simply because of ben. with his autism didnt know how he would handle it. but hes 5 now and doing really well so we are getting camping gear this year and having a go.. *giggles* i was a bit shocked at how lazy camping is now a days.. its basically home away form home.
when i was a kid camping was a tent with a quilt to lay on a pillow pinched from your bed and a cover to keep you warm. we had an open fire to cook over, and usually was hotdogs on a stick... yes a real stick that we found and removed the bark from. a tattie wrapped in foil and thrown in the coals.. and marshmallows for dessert. if we were by a river also usually had fish depending on if they were biting that day. said river was also our bath tub!! some of the best times of my life was out in the woods!!

horseman
22-May-10, 11:43
With them at that age sweety-don't eventhink of it:)

Hoida
22-May-10, 13:36
We wondered about it when our son was little about 6 months and decided to go for it and had no problems. Camped every year until he was 15 The campsite at Embo is very good with play area and pool. Plenty to do for youngsters and not too far from home. Bettyhill has a campsite not a lot of facilities but a good beach and a swimming pool.The campsite at Talmine is near the beach but not a lot else going for it. Enjoy it, it is a break. By the way you also have the chippie in Bettyhill open Fridays and Saturdays.:cool:

sjr014
22-May-10, 21:04
Im with everyone else go for it! As children we always went camping as a family and still do now we have grown up, with my little one joining us last year at 18 months and she loved it! We went to Durness last year and are planning Fort William this year! Great Fun!

mums angels
22-May-10, 21:08
I have put of camping for the last three years but now my youngest is just 2 i have said we will give it a go again. We started taking our eldest at 18 months and she loved it .

poppett
22-May-10, 23:13
Durness is brilliant for families of all ages.

catran
22-May-10, 23:40
Oh yes go for it they are never too young, even had the grandchildren camping at 2 and 4 years old not too far from home but they enjoyed it so much stayed extra days at Crackaig at Loth. Loads of fun. Buckets and spades and a wee bit of sun what more could one ask for. We used to go camping when ours was only 9months old so been at it for a long long time.........Not been for a couple of years now but this post has brought up the yearning but no bairnies to take any more and that is what made it. So go for it whatever the age.