PDA

View Full Version : Wow, go outside now ......

Tugmistress
11-Jun-06, 23:49
The moon is amazing :D
anyone up late enough to take a pic please do, especially if you can zoom in on it, i would love a copy to put on my website of this :D
BTW it is roughly in a southerly direction though you can't really miss it !

willowbankbear
11-Jun-06, 23:52
If it goes any lower it will run into Pulteney hoose[lol] Lovely though, bright Orange colour

DrSzin
11-Jun-06, 23:55
BTW it is roughly in a southerly direction though you can't really miss it !You can if you live on the north side of a hill with houses over the road to the south. :(

changilass
11-Jun-06, 23:57
You can if you live on the north side of a hill with houses over the road to the south. :(

Same problem here, I can't see owt either:~(

Tugmistress
11-Jun-06, 23:58
You can if you live on the north side of a hill with houses over the road to the south. :(
so go for a quick walk to the top of the hill ;)

Tugmistress
11-Jun-06, 23:59
Same problem here, I can't see owt either:~(

shame as it is really quite stunning.
i guess i am lucky living up the top of the hill - it is just literally looking like it is sat on top of the manpower/bt call centre thingy.

Tugmistress
12-Jun-06, 00:10
ok if you can't see it, sorry the piccy is a bit naff but it was a quickie ;)

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/12thjunejustaftermidnight0_20060612_65006330.JPG

angela5
12-Jun-06, 00:15
WOW! that's low. looks fantastic, thanks tugmistress.:D

highlander
12-Jun-06, 00:18
Just been out to see the beautiful moon tuggmistress, got some pics

DrSzin
12-Jun-06, 00:20
so go for a quick walk to the top of the hill ;)I did. :D

I took a few pics but my lens isn't long enough to get anything half-decent.

I'm 250(ish) miles south of you so the moon is a good bit higher in the sky - and it's definitely not orange. In fact it looks almost white and rather ordinary to be honest. But it's pretty low down so it looks bigger than usual, and it's framed quite nicely by trees and the Pentlands.

It's a fabulous night here - the sky is clear and it's still warm so I didn't look too stupid walking along the street in shorts and t-shirt. But the sky is much brighter in the north than the south - despite the full moon. That seemed slightly weird...

Tugmistress
12-Jun-06, 00:31
I did. :D

I took a few pics but my lens isn't long enough to get anything half-decent.

I'm 250(ish) miles south of you so the moon is a good bit higher in the sky - and it's definitely not orange. In fact it looks almost white and rather ordinary to be honest. But it's pretty low down so it looks bigger than usual, and it's framed quite nicely by trees and the Pentlands.

It's a fabulous night here - the sky is clear and it's still warm so I didn't look too stupid walking along the street in shorts and t-shirt. But the sky is much brighter in the north than the south - despite the full moon. That seemed slightly weird...

it is definately light up here still, give me a couple of minutes and i will take a pic of behind the house where it is noticably bright :D

Tugmistress
12-Jun-06, 00:42
ok been and gone and done it :)

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/12thjune060_20060612_1126014239.JPG

highlander
12-Jun-06, 00:46
no its still there

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/11thjunemoon016.jpg

DrSzin
12-Jun-06, 00:46
Thanks for that Tuggy. :D

It's much brighter up there than down here.

My moonographs are crap so I'm not posting them. :o

Yvonne
12-Jun-06, 00:52
Tugmistress,
Thank you for the details in advance concerning the low position of the moon. Your photograph was appreciated. :) My daughter took two photographs of the low moon over the sea and is hoping that they will turn out OK. :D
My husband and son will be sorry to have missed the incredible spectacle as they are both very keen astronomers. Armed with a flask of tea at some unearthly hour, they took some pictures of the movement of the stars at the top of the Hill O' Many Stanes for their website which came out very well. The heavens are simply amazing, can't imagine what it would be like to look up at a black canopy with not a star in sight! Just looking at the sky at night full of stars is very comforting. Have you ever seen the wanderers? Not to be confused with shooting stars! If you gaze for some time you will be able to see star(s) travelling slowly and then just simply disappearing. Incredible!!!!

Tugmistress
12-Jun-06, 00:53
Thanks for that Tuggy. :D

It's much brighter up there than down here.

My moonographs are crap so I'm not posting them. :o

aw, go on drszin, you know you want to !

highlander, absolutely smashing pic ... thanks

cullbucket
12-Jun-06, 00:57
looks good - I'll try and get some northern lights pics when i get the chance - havent seen any yet

Tugmistress
12-Jun-06, 00:58
Tugmistress,
Thank you for the details in advance concerning the low position of the moon. Your photograph was appreciated. :) My daughter took two photographs of the low moon over the sea and is hoping that they will turn out OK. :D
My husband and son will be sorry to have missed the incredible spectacle as they are both very keen astronomers. Armed with a flask of tea at some unearthly hour, they took some pictures of the movement of the stars at the top of the Hill O' Many Stanes for their website which came out very well. The heavens are simply amazing, can't imagine what it would be like to look up at a black canopy with not a star in sight! Just looking at the sky at night full of stars is very comforting. Have you ever seen the wanderers? Not to be confused with shooting stars! If you gaze for some time you will be able to see star(s) travelling slowly and then just simply disappearing. Incredible!!!!

My pleasure Yvonne.
you'll just have to get your hubby and son to try again in a few decades lol.
what you call 'wanderers' are probably the satellites orbiting the earth. they will look like slow moving stars as the sun still catches them but when they stop being in the suns 'view' they will not shine anymore and look like they disappear. many moons ago when i lived in a tent that was an evenings entertainment watching what we called the 'movers and shooters'.

highlander
12-Jun-06, 00:58
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8317/11thjunemoon016small1vx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fran
12-Jun-06, 01:05
i have just come up the hill from the harbour to willowbank and Broadhaven, 1am, what a beautiful site. the moon is so low and the water is at high tide and very still, wish i had the camera with me. I was tempted to go back with the camera. so glad I saw it as i have never seen anything like it before.

kas
12-Jun-06, 01:14
I am disappointed none of the photos I got captured any of the crater detail. When the moon is white it seems to be easier to capture this. I think the heat also distorts the photos as well. Well worth waiting up for though, Thanks Paula. Only problem is I dont want to go to bed now. I will be gurnier than normal getting up for work in the morn.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/moon.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/moon1.jpg

kas
12-Jun-06, 01:15
Wow look at that, there is 2 moons in Scrabster.

Yvonne
12-Jun-06, 01:15
My pleasure Yvonne.
you'll just have to get your hubby and son to try again in a few decades lol.
what you call 'wanderers' are probably the satellites orbiting the earth. they will look like slow moving stars as the sun still catches them but when they stop being in the suns 'view' they will not shine anymore and look like they disappear. many moons ago when i lived in a tent that was an evenings entertainment watching what we called the 'movers and shooters'.

You could well be right, but I'm pretty sure that some are not satellites. I will check it out and hopefully come back to you in due course with another alternative explanation. Still got that tent? :)

kas
12-Jun-06, 01:24
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/mooon3.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/moon2.jpg

sjwahwah
12-Jun-06, 01:31
anyone know about the callanish stones in Lewis as I recall this low moon cycle is recorded in notches in the stones there?

cuddlepop
12-Jun-06, 09:51
Thanks for all your great pics .Didn't see a thing here on Skye.

grantyg
12-Jun-06, 10:40
It looks a giant coldplay album sleeve! are they gigging in the camps bar and paying millions for cool subliminal advertising.

no its still there

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/11thjunemoon016.jpg

DrSzin
12-Jun-06, 10:47
aw, go on drszin, you know you want to !I don't think anyone wants to see a tiny pale-orange moon surrounded by streetlights. I was wrong about it not being orange down here - it didn't look very orange when I was out in the streets, but it looks orange in the pics.

highlander, absolutely smashing pic ... thanksYes, thanks highlander. And thanks to kaz for her fab pics too.

orkneylass
12-Jun-06, 11:24
In Orkney, no sign of anything when I went off to bed at 11.30pm - still virtually daylight! Great photos - means I did not miss it altogether!

candyfloss
12-Jun-06, 15:06
Aww... i forgot all about the moon last night:~(would have loved to have seen it,so thanks everyone for the pics,they're amazing:)

Sporran
12-Jun-06, 19:45
Unfortunately, it was so cloudy here last night, that the moon wasn't visible. :(

Thanks for all those great pics, though folks, I enjoyed seeing those! :)

I was feeling quite over the moon yesterday, though, as we were at a harbour festival here. Went on board three different tall ships, including one from Nova Scotia. For me, the highlight of the day was seeing the Commodores performing live at an outdoor concert on the green. They had nearly everyone up dancing, including myself, lol! They're still a great band, even without Lionel Richie. J D Nicholas, his replacement, sounded very similar in the numbers that Lionel used to lead. The two original members were in top form too, and sounded just as terrific as they did in the 70's and 80's.

stekar
12-Jun-06, 21:32
Great photos folks! Saw the moon last night at 12.30am, or should I say this morning. It was absolutely brilliant, really glad I managed to see it. It was so low it looked like it was sitting on top of the hill. Didn't take any piccies though as my camera isn't upto much.

Thanks Tugmistress for the advance notice!

landmarker
12-Jun-06, 21:51
Great thread and pics.
Enjoyed 'em tug. Dramatic stuff.
Livng in the extreme north has a certain cache and mystique, ignored by 99% of the population. Not be me. Nor you I'd guess.

Ricco
12-Jun-06, 22:14
Lovely photos each and all. Love that one of the orange moon over the houses, Tugmistress. And that zoom shot by Highlander - looked like it had a corona for a moment! Come Dr Zsin - they've shown you their's - now its your turn. Me, I missed the moon but caught a nice sunset tonight.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h288/Ricco_T/DSC01655.jpg

scrapydoo
13-Jun-06, 01:29
Come on Dr szin show us your photos

DrSzin
13-Jun-06, 11:22
Come on Dr szin show us your photosNo chance. When I said they were crap, I meant they were really crap! :lol:

Steinway
13-Jun-06, 12:36
Hi all,

Just wanted to say that the moon was out again last night, really low over the sea!! Anyone else notice this??

Tugmistress
13-Jun-06, 15:42
Steinway,
unfortunately not :( i was snoring by 11pm last night lol, guess it is an age thing with 'burning the candle at both ends' and i can't do it anymore ;)

Steinway
14-Jun-06, 19:26
:lol:

Thanks for the reply! Never mind, I was just surprised that it was again low on the second night, and wanted to know if anyone on here had seen it.

By the way, I really like your website. :) Had a look with mum the other night and it's full of useful things!

Tugmistress
14-Jun-06, 19:30
thanks steinway :o

Sporran
15-Jun-06, 03:36
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/mooon3.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/moon2.jpg

Great photo, kas! I can just picture ET and companion cycling in front of the moon! ;-)

Yvonne
16-Jun-06, 23:55
Hello Tugmistress, I asked my husband who is an expert in this field and here listed are relevant points...

1. Cannot be reflected sunlight, because we only see them in the dark, well after the sun has set.

2. Wouldn't be able to see them (too small for resolution of human eye).

3. They would need to be about 3x quicker than they are in order to get around the World in the correct time.

4. Before firing powerful lasers into the sky, researchers have to send their coordinates to a US government agency to determine if any satellites may be affected. This would not really be necessary if you could just see them.

Hope you find this useful.

gleeber
17-Jun-06, 00:36
1. Cannot be reflected sunlight, because we only see them in the dark, well after the sun has set.

Many years ago, whilst working in an isolated part of the West coast of Scotland I used to do some sky watching and regularly saw these satellites passing overhead. I seem to recall we used to see them come back round after 90 minutes.
I'm no expert Yvonne, but I was always under the impression these things were satellites. Perhaps your husband could say more about the phenomenon.
I'm also confused about the reflected sunlight part. We only see the moon in its glory when it's dark. Is that not reflected sunlight?

JAWS
17-Jun-06, 00:54
Gleeber, you are not alone. I too was in my usual state of total confusion for a while. I think that somewhere the thread moved from the Moon to Satellites. I would guess that the post is in answer to a query made earlier.

One thing I am absolutely certain of is that I definitely can’t see the Moon tonight. Caithness disappears after about 200 yards or meters, whichever you prefer.
I tried shouting but I didn’t get any replies so the whole world may have disappeared. :eek:

canuck
17-Jun-06, 01:55
Gleeber, you are not alone. I too was in my usual state of total confusion for a while. I think that somewhere the thread moved from the Moon to Satellites. I would guess that the post is in answer to a query made earlier.

One thing I am absolutely certain of is that I definitely can’t see the Moon tonight. Caithness disappears after about 200 yards or meters, whichever you prefer.
I tried shouting but I didn’t get any replies so the whole world may have disappeared. :eek:

No Jaws, the world has not disappeared. We are all still here.

I have been slowly catching up on all the threads I have missed these past few weeks. I have been totally enchanted by this one. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Ricco
17-Jun-06, 06:27

Hmm, that makes me wonder - where were you? Sounds like you had either gone underground (200 yards) or out to sea, but in the latter case Caithness would still be visible. Hmm - have to think about that one. :Razz

JAWS
17-Jun-06, 17:30
Hmm, that makes me wonder - where were you? Sounds like you had either gone underground (200 yards) or out to sea, but in the latter case Caithness would still be visible. Hmm - have to think about that one. :Razz
No, nothing as drastic as that. Just a very thick sea fog drifted in over the cliffs. ;)

Yvonne
18-Jun-06, 00:05
Many years ago, whilst working in an isolated part of the West coast of Scotland I used to do some sky watching and regularly saw these satellites passing overhead. I seem to recall we used to see them come back round after 90 minutes.
I'm no expert Yvonne, but I was always under the impression these things were satellites. Perhaps your husband could say more about the phenomenon.
I'm also confused about the reflected sunlight part. We only see the moon in its glory when it's dark. Is that not reflected sunlight?

Gleeber, I asked my husband about the moon and this is his reply: "Telecoms satellites are typically at an altitude of 250 mls, which is small when compared to the radius of the World (~4,000 mls). On the other hand the Moon is thought to be about 250,000 mls, or 1,000 times further from the dark side of the World than a LEO satellite. The World would not stop sunlight hitting the Moon, but would prevent sunlight hitting most satellites."

Tugmistress
18-Jun-06, 14:42
Gleeber, I asked my husband about the moon and this is his reply: "Telecoms satellites are typically at an altitude of 250 mls, which is small when compared to the radius of the World (~4,000 mls). On the other hand the Moon is thought to be about 250,000 mls, or 1,000 times further from the dark side of the World than a LEO satellite. The World would not stop sunlight hitting the Moon, but would prevent sunlight hitting most satellites."

Hi Yvonne,
I posed this query on another forum I belong to for clarification, you may be interested in the response i got which i have copied and pasted below :)

The ‘shooters’ can only be meteorites blazing trails across the sky as they burn up in the atmosphere. They usually travel very fast – simply a streak of light, but sometimes they seem to dawdle – it all depends on their angle of approach.

Slower lights (the ‘movers’) must be satellites – planets do move, but not sufficiently fast to be seen to do so by the naked eye. A satellite in earth orbit can be seen as it catches the sunlight but every so often they pass into the earth’s shadow – and simply disappear.

I would well recommend a great site where you can find the times of visible orbits of a number of earth satellites – as well as the International Space Station (which is obviously a satellite too).

Try http://www.heavens-above.com (http://www.heavens-above.com/)

Follow the instructions (you don’t even have to sign in) and get sky maps galore. If you select your satellite and find its appearances, then click on the Ground Track. That will show you the ‘easy’ way to spot a satellite – and it’ll also show you when and where your chosen satellite will pass into the earth’s shadow and disappear.

‘Shooters’ aren’t so easy to predict but they tend to come in swarms as the earth passed through assorted left-over debris, often from comets. Hence the only guides to spotting them are meteor shower timetables.

Try http://stardate.org (http://stardate.org/) – as good as any other site.

Enough information there, without it getting complicated and going into too much detail.

Enjoy your sky-watching. http://www.netweather.tv/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Yvonne
18-Jun-06, 21:51
Thanks, Tugmistress.

We have tried sites like the ones you mention, though without any real success. Still, we'll keep trying.