PDA

View Full Version : Statins

Banshee
21-May-10, 12:50
Considering how many people are on these according to this article I think everyone should know...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8695102.stm

Commore
21-May-10, 18:51
Thank you for bringing this up,
last year I was prescribed Statins, and I took them for approx three months, however, at the end of the day I was suffering more by way of side effects than I ever did without them.
Now a year on and I am still suffering some side effects, such as sore legs.

For people at risk of heart attacks etc, they may very well be good, but I myself, think the convenience of statins, are an easy option for Doctors.

Anfield
21-May-10, 19:05
Thank you for bringing this up,
last year I was prescribed Statins, and I took them for approx three months, however, at the end of the day I was suffering more by way of side effects than I ever did without them.
Now a year on and I am still suffering some side effects, such as sore legs.

For people at risk of heart attacks etc, they may very well be good, but I myself, think the convenience of statins, are an easy option for Doctors.

I would go back to Doctor.
There are several different types of statins, so maybe a change might be of benefit to you.
I had side effect problems with Simvastatin but since this was changed to Ezetrol these have disappeared.

George Brims
21-May-10, 20:15
Anfield, I was switched TO Simvastatin and my side effects (muscle cramps) are much reduced - in fact pretty much gone. Horse for courses I suppose. I don't know what that article is on about. My doctor explained right at the start that statins can affect the liver, and each time I get my cholesterol checked he has my liver enzymes checked as well.

Anfield
21-May-10, 20:32
Anfield, I was switched TO Simvastatin and my side effects (muscle cramps) are much reduced - in fact pretty much gone. Horse for courses I suppose. I don't know what that article is on about. My doctor explained right at the start that statins can affect the liver, and each time I get my cholesterol checked he has my liver enzymes checked as well.

Statins/Aspirins, guidelines & recommendations seem to change every week.
Such is life

George Brims
21-May-10, 20:49
As long as they keep coming out with things like "Red wine and chocolate are both good for you" I'm fine.

squidge
21-May-10, 22:28
Havent we done the statins argument to death already? They help some people and not others likemost medicines

Anfield
21-May-10, 22:45
Havent we done the statins argument to death already? They help some people and not others likemost medicines

There has been a lot of confusion on the use of statins, and each week it appears that another report suggests a different take on this subject.

As the org is a form of communication between members, I fail to see why you take exception to this thread.

The OP (Banshee) has only made 16 posts, so maybe, like me, they missed the "done the statins argument to death" posts which you refer to.

Bobinovich
21-May-10, 22:50
This (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=71423) was the thread in question