PDA

View Full Version : Dog biting his nails

teenybash
20-May-10, 00:03
I have had Banjo for 6 months now and he is as fit as a fiddle, but he bites his nails..:confused
His nails are not overgrown and I can see nothing wrong, but he nibbles off the points every few days
Has anyone else had a dog who does this or know why he would do this ?

Aaldtimer
20-May-10, 03:18
I wish our wee Westie would acquire that habit instead of the one he has of chewing his feet!:confused
I believe it's a common thing with them, maybe cleaning between toes, or just neurotic!
He makes the most disgusting grunts in the process...can last for half hour at a session.
And he won't let us clip his nails...grumpy wee sod...has to be the Vet or when he goes to Paula for his makeover every 3 months!:eek:

ShelleyCowie
20-May-10, 08:57
Is there nothing you can put on a dogs nails to stop them chewing? I know for people you get that awful tasting stuff you paint on. I think my mum tried it with my sister but she still bit them :lol:

Or even something your dog doesnt like that is safe to eat incase they do lick/bite them. Mustard or something....ugh i hate mustard!

Ohhhh marmite! Thats another one lol

Liz
20-May-10, 11:18
I've had dogs bite their feet and this has usually been down to some kind of irritation such as having walked in nettles. Benjy did pull one of his nails out once as well but think he may have damaged it in some way and was just getting rid of it!:eek:

I had a look on the net and found this http://www.terrificpets.com/forum/52401.asp

It may just be bit of a habit?

Sarah
20-May-10, 18:57
My cat always chews her nails, saves me a job as she won't let me cut them!

Maybe you could get the stuff thats meant to stop people chewing their nails? Check there's nothing harmful in the ingredients first though.

Liz
20-May-10, 19:54
Sarah cats are a bit different in that their nails aren't as tough and 'flake' off so they often trim them themselves which is very handy when, like yours, they won't let you trim them.:D

the grudge
20-May-10, 20:57
my dog did that when she was young i thought there was something wrong with her but had taken her to the vet and they say it some times a comean thing and she doesnt do it any more . :)

mop top
20-May-10, 22:52
Hi Teenybash

I think it may be a trait common in lurchers because Harry my one who is 11 yrs old has always had this odd habit! As long as there is no redness or irratation around the nail, pad etc i think you could safely put it down to lurcher eccentricity!

teenybash
20-May-10, 23:00
Hi Teenybash

I think it may be a trait common in lurchers because Harry my one who is 11 yrs old has always had this odd habit! As long as there is no redness or irratation around the nail, pad etc i think you could safely put it down to lurcher eccentricity!

Glad to hear as I cannot find anything amiss with his tootsies and it is just a houndy thing.....saves all that wrestling to clip nails........It's quite comical to watch as he gets into some rare positions....[lol]

unicorn
21-May-10, 09:09
I actually have 1 or 2 rabbits that do this [lol] it's great when I clip nails.

marlyn
21-May-10, 09:36
our dog does this too - I just always assumed it was something some dogs did.... at least she would never bite them too low... some noise that is made though!! and she is a coodle so not just restricted to hounds.

Sarah
21-May-10, 17:56
our dog does this too - I just always assumed it was something some dogs did.... at least she would never bite them too low... some noise that is made though!! and she is a coodle so not just restricted to hounds.

What is a coodle a cross between? Sorry, had to ask, never heard of that one before!

Liz
21-May-10, 19:15
What is a coodle a cross between? Sorry, had to ask, never heard of that one before!

Glad I'm not the only one Sarah.:lol: I know the last part will be poodle but not sure about the first? Cocker?

Liz
21-May-10, 19:17
Here you go Sarah.http://www.mixedbreedpets.com/dogs/article/how-about-a-coodle/

Mystery solved!:D