PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for the north west

dafi
19-May-10, 23:19
We are coming across to have a poke about north and west coast and wondered if we could get a few recommendations on nice quiet spots to over night with a camper van. Some where with a nice view of sunrise. Any must see views or a couple of nice beach side spots with good rock ledges for a spot of fishing. A couple of nice pubs to eat in close by would be the icing on the cake……ooer im all excited….

davem
19-May-10, 23:28
Chocolate Mountain in Durness (Balnakeil) is a must. and the bookshop. I'll leave it to the campervanners to tell you where to stop but strathy beach and Talmine are lovely too.
Enjoy

Or it might be Cocoa Mountain whatever praises have been sung

Anfield
19-May-10, 23:45
Hi Dafi,
Have alook at http://www.halladaleinn.co.uk (http://www.halladaleinn.co.uk/)
They Accomodate motorhome/tents/bikers and has good beer and wonderful food.

It is a pretty central location to N/E sutherland, Caithness and RSBB Forsinard

There are also two other pubs (Strathy Inn & Melvich Hotel within 4 miles and then my local, The Bettyhill Hotel 12 miles west. Head further west to Durness and you will think you will have died and gone to heaven.

But if this does not appeal to you, you could then head for Wick.
See Tesco and the retail park and then, you can erm...drive to Thurso to look at some shops in caithness that are still open

Have a great trip

dafi
20-May-10, 09:46
Cheers folks. Hopefully we will have the van on a boat late today......cant wait.

We will certainly give the Bettyhill hotell a look, i havent been in there for a few years. Is the FBI still on the go?

If theres any more recomendations for places to go and things to see i would love to read them....be back later on today some time.

daf.

ducati
20-May-10, 10:00
Shmoo Cave (I don't know if the boat is running at the mo) and Cape Wrath and Summer Isles boat trip if you are going that far round.

katarina
20-May-10, 22:05
and bettyhill caravan park is still open

Anfield
20-May-10, 22:17
Chocolate Mountain in Durness (Balnakeil) is a must. and the bookshop. I'll leave it to the campervanners to tell you where to stop but strathy beach and Talmine are lovely too.
Enjoy

Or it might be Cocoa Mountain whatever praises have been sung

I had forgotten about Cocoa Mountain.
Certainly worth driving to Durness for (plus spectacular scenery on the way)

Go to bookshop first though and take your book into Cocoa Mountain, then you will have something to read whilst you are waiting for your coffee to be prepared!

new driver
20-May-10, 22:30
I've just bought The North Highlands of Scotland Guide Book by Charles Tait. Haven't read it all yet but it will point you in the right direction and gives lots of interesting information.
Achmelvich has a camp site and a lovely beach and Lochinver has places to eat. Spent a few days exploring side roads last year and got some lovely views.

Boozeburglar
20-May-10, 23:22
One word. Sheigra.

Another, phrase, the top of Glen Loth! :)

poppett
21-May-10, 00:08
The private harbour at Rispond estate is happy to give permission for campers to stay.

Further on from Balankeil village at the beach is another spot for campervans to overnight. Also in Balnakeil village the bistro is superb quisine and bookings for the evening are well worth the wait.

Have a lovely time.

ywindythesecond
21-May-10, 22:00
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk%20sites/Site%20Details.aspx?csid=21898

Grummore Caravan Club site.

Whitewater
21-May-10, 22:21
It's a great coast, too many good spots, to recommend any in particular would be dificult. I have enjoyed it for many years and it is still a pleasure every time I make the tour.

northener
21-May-10, 22:34
One word. Sheigra.

Another, phrase, the top of Glen Loth! :)

Glen Loth.

Good call, BB. Fantastic place.

Boozeburglar
21-May-10, 23:29
I remember like it was yesterday the first time I took the girlfriend up there in the car. It is a good thing it is a quiet road!

Burnside
21-May-10, 23:33
Also worthwhile visiting Thurso Caravan Park. The views of Scrabster and Orkney from the caravan park are astounding on a beautiful day. Also the park has just been taken over by a lovely family and they serve brilliant fish and chips on a Friday.

Boozeburglar
21-May-10, 23:45
Can't agree about Thirsa caravan park for camping. The food could well be good though. They still have a pool table?

If I was in the area camping I would prefer Dunnet.

In a camper van, no way I am staying on a camp site.

Park up Olrig Hill or wherever, don't pay for a camp site.

Burnside
23-May-10, 22:08
No they don't have a pool table. It is a really nice homely atmosphere and welcomes kids. Think it has gone a bit more upmarket from what it used to be. And yes Dunnet is nice but sometimes you may want to be near to a town and the views are still breathtaking although not on a foggy day like today.

dafi
25-May-10, 02:56
Thanks everybody. I got the post up a bit late and was allready over there when the replys were coming in. We were in the Bettyhill hotel ( been a few years since i was in there) went to Smoo cave and was sutably impressed, hung out at Durness by the kirkyard and sands and did a bit at Dunnet forest. We just parked up where ever and had a great time even went to the big tescos in wick......We loved it!!!

poppett
25-May-10, 14:09
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Haste ye back