PDA

View Full Version : Sunday train times

bamboo
19-May-10, 13:53
Just been in touch with Scotrail asking train times Inverness to Thurso on Sunday 23rd - new summer timetable. There is one train north - leaving Inverness. Leaves 15:21 and arrives 21:45 - 6 hours and 24 minutes!!!! Plus a change in Dingwall! Can somebody please tell me that's a mistake (I can't get down to train station to check). Madness!:confused

wkgeorge
19-May-10, 14:01
Dont know for sure but that must be a mistake, why not go on internet and check

Serenity
19-May-10, 14:01
There is only one Sunday train but it leaves at 1800 with no change. Of course you could leave at 1521 and wait for the same 1800 train in Dingwall. Seems Scotrail staff can't read a simple timetable!
Fyi Scotrail website has all the new timetables.

Serenity
19-May-10, 14:03
Dont know for sure but that must be a mistake, why not go on internet and check

I never understand why people ask such questions when they are on the internet already but I have given up asking.

NickInTheNorth
19-May-10, 14:09
Just been in touch with Scotrail asking train times Inverness to Thurso on Sunday 23rd - new summer timetable. There is one train north - leaving Inverness. Leaves 15:21 and arrives 21:45 - 6 hours and 24 minutes!!!! Plus a change in Dingwall! Can somebody please tell me that's a mistake (I can't get down to train station to check). Madness!:confused

If you go to the scotrail website and download the timetable rather than doing an online search for journey times you'll see that there is a train leaving Inverness at 1755, it is that service that you connect with at Dingwall :)

But clearly their system is totally useless as if you do a search for a journey from Inverness to Thurso leaving on sunday at 1745 it shows either the 1521 service or the service at 0706 on Monday

bamboo
19-May-10, 14:11
Thanks Serenity - actually I did check the internet - comments like that are so unhelpful :mad: Thought there was a mistake - so phoned - and then thought orgers might know somthing different! The woman on the phone didn't speak very good English...

bamboo
19-May-10, 14:13
Thanks NickoftheNorth - I didn't see the train at 1800 - as you say the journey planner doesn't come up with that one. Cheers anyway

Serenity
19-May-10, 14:14
Sorry, I know. I just don't understand and it happens all the time. Would have been more helpful if I gave instructions like Nick did but it just seems so obvious to me.

macbreeza
19-May-10, 14:16
I am feeling your pain Serenity :D

Serenity
19-May-10, 14:16
Anyone else think it is ridiculous there is just the one train anyway?

macbreeza
19-May-10, 14:23
Sorry but I see it from a business point of view and I hate the journey too so i am not gonna big up the idea of loads of trains on a Sunday :)

Maybe 2 would be a good idea but would the number of passengers justify it? I doubt it or else there would be more than one service.

I certainly never use the train to go to Inverness, I go by bus. The train takes far too long and stops at too many ridiculous places where no one ever gets on or off! If it were faster then more folk would use it including me. Not sure if this is the general opinion but I do know others who feel the same.

Serenity
19-May-10, 14:32
From (or to) Thurso the bus and train are about the same time. I hate the buses north of Inverness as they always make me sick and it is more expensive for me as I have the Highland railcard. Last time I got a bus north it was a Sunday as I had to get north early. As usual I was sick. I understand it is business demand though. I guess most Sunday customer's are travelling back from a weekend away or a day shopping so 1800 makes sense.

macbreeza
19-May-10, 14:37
ah i see Serenity, I am a Wicker so the bus is a shorter journey for me :D

NickInTheNorth
19-May-10, 14:39
Well I have called scotrails customer services people in Fort William and after getting the usual run around and advised to check for engineering work I finally spoke to a manager and told them their online service is broken so they are going to look into it.

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to be put right...

Serenity
19-May-10, 14:44
Well I have called scotrails customer services people in Fort William and after getting the usual run around and advised to check for engineering work I finally spoke to a manager and told them their online service is broken so they are going to look into it.

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to be put right...

I was actually wondering if the journey planner was doing that because of engineering works etc but didn't notice any in my quick look (don't know the date of travel though). Can't test the journey planner either as I'm on my phone and it won't work for some reason. But let's see if Scotrail sort it :)

NickInTheNorth
19-May-10, 15:59
I've just rechecked the timetable and in fact the train from Inverness actually runs at 1755 (until 26 september) not 1800