PDA

View Full Version : Buying fish, quarintine conditions?

bish667
19-May-10, 13:04
Does anyone know why Pets at Home wont sell fish without first providing a good water sample?

When buying a cat or a dog which require a lot more responsibility and looking after you dont have to provide proof that you have a good home for it.

Just seems like a lot of hassle to buy fish that cost pennies to buy.

Is this something to do with animal cruelty?

Tugmistress
19-May-10, 13:14
not heard of that one, i set up my tank, had it running empty for about a fortnight and just went in and bought some fish, then about a fortnight later daughter went in and bought some snails and a small algea eating fish and she never mentioned anything like that either!

Crackeday
19-May-10, 13:14
Ive never been asked for a water sample but that could be that i have an established tank.
They normally only ask if its a new tank and it is their responsibility to ensure the fish have a chance of surviving.
But saying that it could be because their water has so many treatments added that the fish arent as strong as some other breeders and to sell them into water that isnt as well treated could be detremental to the fish.

bish667
19-May-10, 13:27
Yea maybe its something to do with if your buying a new setup from them at same time.

Just seems like a lot of hassle over fish.

Dadie
19-May-10, 13:34
Bought fish ok without a water sample!
But like to put the new ones in a wee tank for a week or 2 before putting them into my established tank just incase they have anything wrong with them.
Dont want to kill off all my fish:eek:
But im having a wee problem with my tank at the moment anyway...it has been emptied and moved twice in as many days (decorating the living room) but I put the water back in it (as much as possible anyway) so as not to change too much at any one time now my pH has risen but the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all perfect! so no new fish for us for a while and the water has been buffered for now as I think they had to much of a change of water recently.
Its easy for the water conditions to go wrong so maybe PAH are only trying to make sure your new fish have the best start in their new home!

macbreeza
19-May-10, 14:13
Why don't you just ask pets at home :D

Leanne
19-May-10, 14:33
It's to check your tank is fully cycled - that ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is low.

It isn't 'just a fish' it is a life - to put it in a tank with toxic water is as cruel for a fish that is free as it is for one costing £250...

bish667
19-May-10, 16:05
The point im trying to make is you have to go through checks to buy a fish, what checks are done to buy other animals, cats, dogs, horses etc?

Animals that are harder to look after and more expensive to maintain you can just go out and buy and do what you want with.

Not saying i would buy a pet to mistreat it but do you see my point.

Leanne
19-May-10, 16:10
Fish are harder to maintain properly than all of the animals you listed.

Edit - I have horses, dogs, cats and chickens but my fish are the ones that are hardest to keep right...

bish667
19-May-10, 16:16
I was always under the impression that fish were easy to look after, i assumed they were beginner pets and thats why a lot of kids get them.
Clearly i'm wrong about that then.

Personally I'd rather a fish than a horse to look after :lol:

On an extra note I guess it comes down to what type of animal your used to looking after as I'm used to pets that live in tanks so in my mind fish are easier to look after than what I'm used to.

Leanne
19-May-10, 16:34
On an extra note I guess it comes down to what type of animal your used to looking after as I'm used to pets that live in tanks so in my mind fish are easier to look after than what I'm used to.

People think that fish are easy to look after but a properly maintained tank takes longer that most realise. I do fortnightly water changes, gravel cleaning, I alternate which filter I clean and magfloat the glass every day. My pH, DH, KH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all spot on.

I've been a bit lax at the mo - all my levels are good but we have a bit of an algae outbreak due to the lighting position.

I've moved through goldfish, tropical, cichlids and now have a marine tank. This is how it looks when it's tip top...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/FTS2.jpg

bish667
19-May-10, 17:20
People think that fish are easy to look after but a properly maintained tank takes longer that most realise. I do fortnightly water changes, gravel cleaning, I alternate which filter I clean and magfloat the glass every day. My pH, DH, KH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all spot on.

I've been a bit lax at the mo - all my levels are good but we have a bit of an algae outbreak due to the lighting position.

I've moved through goldfish, tropical, cichlids and now have a marine tank. This is how it looks when it's tip top...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/FTS2.jpg

Ok very fair comments, I have no idea about "pH, DH, KH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate".

Nice setup you got there, I see Nemo or 2 :D

Billy Boy
19-May-10, 18:23
Ok very fair comments, I have no idea about "pH, DH, KH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate".

And you wonder why p@h want to test your water:confused Everyone who wants to keep fish should know how to provide a safe environment for them. If you dont want to learn how to keep them properly, Why bother at all:confused

Sarah
19-May-10, 18:43
It's to check your tank is fully cycled - that ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is low.

It isn't 'just a fish' it is a life - to put it in a tank with toxic water is as cruel for a fish that is free as it is for one costing £250...

Yes that's it :) well put! Also, I think they are more strict with certain types of fish (like tropicals need a 6 week tank cycle before they can go in).

bish667
20-May-10, 10:13
And you wonder why p@h want to test your water:confused Everyone who wants to keep fish should know how to provide a safe environment for them. If you dont want to learn how to keep them properly, Why bother at all:confused

For your information I wasnt buying the fish, I was in with a friend, he was buying them.

I just thought it seemed silly jumping through hoops to get a fish when you can buy ANY other pet without any hassle.