PDA

View Full Version : Short Selling

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 23:21
I picked this up off the BBC website, apparently the German Government is taking action to keep a grip of the Euro while the Greece thing does its stuff.

"Short-sellers usually borrow shares, sell them, then buy them back when the stock falls and return them to the lender, keeping the difference in price."Naked" short selling is when sellers do not even borrow the shares."

How the hell can this kind of thing happen? Who does it? Is it Tories or Labour voters? Is this morally right? is this the kind of crap that's responsible for me maybe losing my job next month? Where do these clowns pay tax?

I think I would shoot these people before I would shoot any suspected Al Qaeda suspect!

ducati
18-May-10, 23:49
I can't find a link, but a short selling syndicate lost a packet last year when the stock they had just sold went through the roof :lol:

IMHO it is no different to any kind of speculation on the Markets. It is just that short sellers bet on shares falling rather than rising :roll:

Aaldtimer
19-May-10, 02:48
"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...."[disgust]

sandyr1
19-May-10, 03:38
"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...."[disgust]

Very well put...'Tis part of the game of life!

Mind you, not as bad as a United States NODOC Mortgage. i.e. when you applied for a Mortgage you could state whatever you wanted as your earnings, and didn't have to produce any documentation...thus NODOC! And you can now see what happened with their situation.