PDA

View Full Version : US TV 2010 cancellations

retrodj
18-May-10, 16:43
I am absolutely gutted to learn that Heroes and Flashforward have been cancelled by the US networks. What with 24 also ending this year, there will be nothing else to watch.

I wish they would stop thinking about viewing figures. In this day and age with all the channels available, they are certainly not going to get as many viewers they did years ago.

The same can be said for the UK TV market. It's a kick in the teeth for fans of these shows who have stuck through with the shows to find out what happens next.

With heroes i blame the writers strike a few years ago for it's downward spiral.
Flashforward needed another series to conclude the story.
24, well it's good but it's had a good run.

What other US Shows does everyone like?

I know that other good shows V, Human Target, Modern Family and Cougar Town have been given new series.

Kodiak
18-May-10, 18:41
Heroes, Flashforward and 24 were programmes that we stopped watching quite some time ago. No one in our house could put up with the story lines so we just stopped watching.

As far as we are concerned another series they could stop is the new Versions of "The Prisoner" & "V". Both in our opinion are no where near as good as the originals.

We do do however like "CSI", "NCIS" & "NCIS Los Angeles"

Sandra_B
18-May-10, 18:57
I read somewhere that Law and Order is finishing up too.

redeyedtreefrog
18-May-10, 19:05
whaaa...?!

Is Heroes going after the next series or before that? It was getting really good!

George Brims
18-May-10, 19:40
I read somewhere that Law and Order is finishing up too.
It's supposed to be getting canceled (one more episode to go over here) but there will be a new spin-off series set in LA. We're hoping Linus Roache (his dad plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street) will get to move to the West coast but that might take a silly plot turn to pull off. Never know though!
Our other favourites (House and Lie to Me) are going strong. Oh and also Criminal Minds, love that one. Sadly they canceled "Life" a while back.

retrodj
18-May-10, 20:08
heroes wont be getting a new series.

i was quite young whe the original v was on and always remember it being scary lol. i quite like the remake
atleast futurama is getting a new series after a few years away.
never was really in to all those medical dramas. got fed up o desperate housewives after series 2 also yet thats being renewed along with brothers and sisters.
the networks cld atleast do a cpl of tv movies to conclude flashforward and heroes properly

Kodiak
18-May-10, 20:10
whaaa...?!

Is Heroes going after the next series or before that? It was getting really good!

If you are a Real Fan of heroes then I suggest that you might like to read the Heroes Graphic Novels. You can download them for Free, not only that but is Legal to do so as well, just click on the link below where you will find 172 of them all in PDF Format :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_graphic_novels

Have fun :D

stroma88
18-May-10, 20:28
i hate it when they cancell good shows! im a bit of a si-fi geek so was upset when they cancelled stargate and farscape!

i wasnt round for the origional V, but i love the new one, glad its getting another series!

xxx

RecQuery
18-May-10, 20:32
Heroes is crap now they should put it out of its misery, finish the current arcs and leave it. It got bad after the 1st season.

Also I like the new V the old was campy early Sci-Fi... arguably better than Flash Forward in my opinion.

Not too sure about Supernatural getting a 6th season either...

I'm liking Stargate: Universe... its got an early SG-1 feel about when things were dangerous before villain decay set it.

Burn Notice and Man men are good also.

Looking forward to the Song of Ice and Fire adaptation HBO are putting together.

Invisible
18-May-10, 20:32
I would love to see more 24 and heroes, shame to hear they are going.
Such shows like Arrested Development, Jericho, Invasion, 4400 are all shows that I enjoyed from the US and all got canceled before they had reached their peak in my opinion.

Sticking to these shores Im still not over the cancellation of Torchwood

RecQuery
18-May-10, 20:38
Well stuff they cancelled that I liked, off the top of my head, lets see:

Babylon 5: Crusade and Legend of the Rangers
Jeremiah
Titus
Space: Above and Beyond
Firefly
Sarah Connor Chronicles
Stargate: Atlantis, I think SG1 had run its course
Deadwood
American Gothic
Threshold

I don't mind the cancellations, so much as I dislike the stories not being finished. Publish novels or something.

On a side not True Blood is watchable also but its got annoying emo modern vampires in it and is full of cliches... plus since Twilight came out I avoid anything vampire themed, that book even managed to make werewolves suck.

On another side note, mini-series and the 1st season of BSG were awesome, completely the suck after that.

redeyedtreefrog
18-May-10, 20:41
Apparently there will be a 24 movie though, so thats something to look forward to.

Geo
18-May-10, 21:59
Looking forward to the Song of Ice and Fire adaptation HBO are putting together.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the first book. Didn't know they were makng a TV series based on it.

The Drunken Duck
18-May-10, 22:09
Glad Heroes has gone, it was getting ridiculous.

But why Scrubs has limped on into Season 9 when it should have gone out on a high after a brilliant Season 8 is beyond me. Still some of the best American TV ever made I think.

The Angel Of Death
18-May-10, 23:58
24 - starting to get a bit tedious however the climax to this one is getting really good 2 eps to go and i think its going to hit the fan big style

Stargate Atlantis - Gutted it was pulled still had a long way to go universe is ok but doesn't have the same pull to it

Sarah Conner - loved it still had a lot of juice left in it as well i think

Flash Forward - Just getting good as well really liked it shame was a good idea that could have done with getting finished off

Heroes - Went burning spitfire mode on after the 1st season writers strike killed it off that and the main writer leaving to do pushing daisy's when he came back it just wasn't he same but could do we getting finished off story wise etc

Recommendations that i am watching at the mo

The Mentalist
Spartacus (best tv show i have seen in a while)
Lie to me
Eureka
Bones
Fringe
V (can mind the old one but this one is good as well)

Serenity
19-May-10, 00:56
I'm liking Stargate: Universe... its got an early SG-1 feel about when things were dangerous before villain decay set it.

Burn Notice and Man men are good also.

I've been looking forward to the Song of Ice And Fire adaption for ages now. The pilot etc was originally meant to be last Autumn. I have long since decided I will do the same with the tv program as I have done with the books. I'll believe it when I see it. Where is A Dance with Dragons!?!?!
I do like the fact some has been filmed in Scotland though.

Nice to see good stuff above SG:U. Not seen it as don't have sky but looking forward to seeing it. Love most SG. I have seen a little though and Robert Carlyle was being a bit too like Begbie from Trainspotting for me. But I understand he went a wee bit mad at the start?

Oh speaking of SG and Song of Ice and Fire - Is Ronon SG still playing Khal Drogo? As that seems to be perfect casting!

As for US tv cancellations, see my name and avatar :roll: They generally don't know a good thing when they see it!

And finally, yes True Blood is popular and easy to watch, but please don't compare it with the pure awfulness which is the Twilight series.
For good vampire/werewolf action though watch "Being Human" - a great BBC series.
Wow, before I wrote this I didn't realise quite how much tv I watch!

ETA: whoops, just realised you hadn't compared True Blood with Twilight but even mentioning them in the same sentence is bad enough. And you mentioned Firefly in your cancellations list. So you got to it before I did.

Serenity
19-May-10, 01:05
I'm about a quarter of the way through the first book. Didn't know they were makng a TV series based on it.

Yes they are but I don't know how good it will be. The scope of it seems hard to imagine on either a mini series or proper series or even made for tv films.

Anyone notice the demise of Legend of the Seeker?

Can see A Song of Ice and Fire quickly going the same way unless it is done correctly.

RecQuery
19-May-10, 09:17
I've been looking forward to the Song of Ice And Fire adaption for ages now. The pilot etc was originally meant to be last Autumn. I have long since decided I will do the same with the tv program as I have done with the books. I'll believe it when I see it. Where is A Dance with Dragons!?!?!
I do like the fact some has been filmed in Scotland though.

Nice to see good stuff above SG:U. Not seen it as don't have sky but looking forward to seeing it. Love most SG. I have seen a little though and Robert Carlyle was being a bit too like Begbie from Trainspotting for me. But I understand he went a wee bit mad at the start?

Oh speaking of SG and Song of Ice and Fire - Is Ronon SG still playing Khal Drogo? As that seems to be perfect casting!

As for US tv cancellations, see my name and avatar :roll: They generally don't know a good thing when they see it!

And finally, yes True Blood is popular and easy to watch, but please don't compare it with the pure awfulness which is the Twilight series.
For good vampire/werewolf action though watch "Being Human" - a great BBC series. Wow, before I wrote this I didn't realise quite how much tv I watch!

ETA: whoops, just realised you hadn't compared True Blood with Twilight but even mentioning them in the same sentence is bad enough. And you mentioned Firefly in your cancellations list. So you got to it before I did.

I really like Nicholas Rush, the character Robert Carlyle plays. Got hooked after the fourth episode I think, not a spoiler I hope but it was the end of the energy episode when you realise whats going on in his head regarding the situation, probably my favourite character in the series, the entire franchise actually. He goes sort of mad in one episode but thats due to stress. That particular bit has context and is played and written well. Apart from that hes a very machiavellian character. A few of the other characters early on annoyed me, but it gets better. Theres a romantic plot tumor that irritates but thats to be expected.

A plus point, the Ancients/Alterans portrayed in this series actually seem smart and advanced, not naive idiots with technology, also one character doesn't know everything (McKay and Carter, though mainly Carter). I didn't think I was going to like it at first, I thought it was going to be like that spoof young-sexy-and-edgy scene in episode 200 of SG-1.

I've only just started the song of ice and fire books. I think I'm about a third to half way through the first. HBO/the writers have said they were going to be faithful to the books and cover all the stories. Not sure if it'll be a book a season of half a book a season or what.

Yeah Jason Momoa/Ronin is cast as Khal Drogo, we also have Sean Bean playing Edward Stark and Lena Headey/Sarah Connor playing Cersei Lannister. Daenerys Targaryen was played by Tamzin Merchant but its been recast, no idea to who yet, Jennifer Ehle who was playing Catelyn Stark is being replaced by Michelle Fairley, not sure if they're going to reshoot scenes or not.

Sandra_B
19-May-10, 10:19
It's supposed to be getting canceled (one more episode to go over here) but there will be a new spin-off series set in LA. We're hoping Linus Roache (his dad plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street) will get to move to the West coast but that might take a silly plot turn to pull off. Never know though!
Our other favourites (House and Lie to Me) are going strong. Oh and also Criminal Minds, love that one. Sadly they canceled "Life" a while back.

Is it just the original L&O that's finishing or are the spin-off going too? (SVU, Criminal Intent)

achingale
19-May-10, 10:30
I have noticed I am watching more on Five these days. Flashforward I think is just great! I am not usually into sci-fi, although Dr Who is the exception, but I think FF just captures the imagination, and there are so many British actors in it too which maybe has some kind of draw. The Mentalist too I watch; yet another multinational programme with an Aussie lead and a Welsh guy as Rigsby - his US accent is very good though!

Ancient Mariner
19-May-10, 12:18
I am very disappointed that they cancelled the second series of "The Dresden Files". [evil]

Don Quixote
19-May-10, 17:02
Don't usually watch US TV but Harry Dresden was a good one. Wonder why they cancelled it?

Probably not enough people watching, but then it was only on SciFi Channel.

buffy
19-May-10, 18:22
I will never get over the loss of Firefly.
I have been terrified Castle will get cancelled but looks like Nathan Fillion's finally caught a lucky break for once!

laguna2
19-May-10, 18:47
I am very disappointed that they cancelled the second series of "The Dresden Files". [evil]

Must admit that although this kind of series is not my thing, my OH and I bought the box set of the first series after he had read all the books. I really enjoyed the series and am disappointed that there appears to be no more.