PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Thurso

knittingkitten04
18-May-10, 14:09
Hi...my husband and I will be moving from Nottingham to Thurso at the end of June and have also just joined this forum :D

We just wanted to say 'hello' and look forward to being part of the community :D

riggerboy
18-May-10, 14:16
Hi...my husband and I will be moving from Nottingham to Thurso at the end of June and have also just joined this forum :D

We just wanted to say 'hello' and look forward to being part of the community :D

hello and a warm welcome to the org,

now can you tell me why you would want to move to a run down, backwater, no proper tesco town like thurso ?????

are you mad ?????

knittingkitten04
18-May-10, 14:33
We are moving to Caithness as it has been our dream... why Thurso? Cos we found a nice house to rent...need to sell our house in Nottingham and then think about buying somewhere in the area.

Very impatient about moving as fed up with concrete and traffic etc

ducati
18-May-10, 14:36
We are moving to Caithness as it has been our dream... why Thurso? Cos we found a nice house to rent...need to sell our house in Nottingham and then think about buying somewhere in the area.

Welcome to the org. If you are selling your house in Nottingham you could buy.......Thurso!

knittingkitten04
18-May-10, 14:39
We wish!! We have a very modest tumbledown cottage and I am REALLY looking forward to having a kitchen that was built after 1980

Stefan
18-May-10, 14:49
hello and welcome!

some locals don't seem to quite get why us folk move up here but i couldn't go back down south if i was paid for it.

was down there recently and the stinking smell, traffic, road rage, built up spaces and unfriendly people make me want to turn round every time i pass the sutherland sign on the a9...

absolutely loving it up here...

twiglet
18-May-10, 15:30
Welcome to the org!

BIG BLUE
18-May-10, 16:39
PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE HERE?????? well best wishes and welcome:confused:confused:confused:confused:confus ed

mum23boys
18-May-10, 16:48
welcome to thurso,do you have any kids? This place is fab for finding out information that you need to know.:D

Gronnuck
18-May-10, 17:19
Hi...my husband and I will be moving from Nottingham to Thurso at the end of June and have also just joined this forum

We just wanted to say 'hello' and look forward to being part of the community

Welcome to the Org. Don't pay too much attention to riggerboy and his thoughts on Thurso, I think he spends too much time at sea. ;)
We first visited Caithness 15 years ago and fell in love with the place and the people. Finally moved here a year ago from Scotland's central belt. We love it. Everyone seems to have time for everyone else and the pace of life is so much more gentle. The sky can be amazing, the beaches beautiful and the wildlife spectacular.
Have a look at the Photography sections and you'll see some amazing pictures taken by orgers all over the county.
If there are any questions you want to ask this is the place to ask them. :D

Kodiak
18-May-10, 18:32
http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

poppett
18-May-10, 19:32
Welcome to the forum.

Hope you will soon be settled into the County.

porshiepoo
18-May-10, 19:48

Hi there. I grew up in your neck of the woods - Hucknall to be exact. I think maybe you have to have spent some time in major cities like Nottingham to appreciate just how clean and quiet it is up here. I'm amazed when locals tell me they hate it and want to move away. lol.
I love it here and could never move back down. It's nice to go on the odd jaunt down there but a few days of clogged, fume filled lungs, queues on top of queues and mega traffic is more than enough. In fact even those odd jaunts are now few and far between. lol

Welcome to the Org and have a ball.

ciderally
18-May-10, 21:08
Hello and welcome, come in and put your feet up and relax.. you've come home xx

georgegwf
18-May-10, 21:47
Hello and Welcome to Gods country :D

achingale
19-May-10, 10:39
Thurso is very welcoming and I am sure you will not regret your move. Welcome to the Org and I hope this is just the beginning of good things for you :)

Boozeburglar
19-May-10, 17:37
Are you thinking about the countryside or the town in the long term?

All the best.

knittingkitten04
19-May-10, 20:46
We are going to rent in the town to start off with and then see once we know the area better

Happy Guy
19-May-10, 22:52
We are going to rent in the town to start off with and then see once we know the area better
Hello and welcome to both Thurso (when you manage to get here) and The Org, as others have said, its THE place to find out anything about everything in the County. I moved here from Norfolk (and I thought THAT was Rural!) a year ago, and I absolutly LOVE it here, the place, the people and the tranqility - Now I cant even IMAGINE living anywhere else - YOU WILL LOVE IT!

divanp75
19-May-10, 22:54
Now I cant even IMAGINE living anywhere else - YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Yep thats how I feel too.......

northener
20-May-10, 00:33
Welcome to a lovely corner of Scotland.

knittingkitten04
20-May-10, 08:50
Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome, we already feel like we are starting to become part of the community

annie bowyer
18-Jun-10, 19:41
Glad to hear all the positive replies, as we are also moving to Thurso in August, with some trepidation... On my one visit there I found it stunningly beautiful and the people I met were pleasant and friendly but I am a little worried about the winter- being hemmed in by weather and the dark, for example. I am a little perplexed about what I shall do while my husband is at work- any suggestions for clubs, voluntary work or daytime activities would be welcomed.

viking
18-Jun-10, 21:04
What about getting a job? I don't know what age you are but the unemployment % in Thurso isn't that bad.
Winter? Nothing better than pulling the curtains and putting the fire on. There are loads of clubs too. Of course in midsummer it's light all the year round. My only complaint at the moment is the birds keeping me awake all night. I hope your move to Thurso will be all that you hope for. Welcome!

katarina
18-Jun-10, 22:13
But the WEATHER. Much colder than even Inverness. High fuel bills. Wind that near blows your head off! One good thing is that you won't have to do any dusting - just open the door, and it all blows away! True we have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world - and they've hardly got a soul on them. On the odd day the more adventurous among us venture out armed with wind breakers and thermos flasks! I want to retire to the sun!

horseman
18-Jun-10, 23:19
Hi kitties, welcome to you all. You will find some atrocious weather ,-but more than offset by lovely people. Pull up your chair an welcome to the best part of it----the org.:)

Nacho
19-Jun-10, 00:06
welcome !

when you get here, mind and buy/sell/free stuff your way around the org

best way to get some bargains/get rid of stuff/ and meet some nice people in the process.

if you're here in time for 'summer', get plenty of Avon Skin So Soft for the mighty midge !!

trix
19-Jun-10, 02:00
welcome til 'e org, welcome til 'e county....feelin a song comin on.

"oh, come all ye people, come over 'e ord
there is a welcome that ye can afford,
be ye a pauper or be ye a lord
there's no finer welcome than...caithness"

;)

ss.sv650
19-Jun-10, 05:22

We just wanted to say 'hello' and look forward to being part of the community :D welcome welcome

we made the move 4 years ago and loving it alough the forum can get quite livley at times!!!! :lol:

as for clubs and stuff i am involved in teaching Jive dancing and have also just joined a judo club both in Thurso so if you need any info on them just send me a pm and i will be glad to help.

_Ju_
19-Jun-10, 07:41
But the WEATHER. Much colder than even Inverness. High fuel bills. Wind that near blows your head off!

I feel Inverness is colder than up here. Maybe because it is right on the sea. I have been to Inverness and Dingwall many times in winter time and have felt it to be colder than Wick on the same day.

Sara Jevo
19-Jun-10, 10:21
Hi

I'm sure you'll enjoy living in Thurso. I do. It might be a long way from the nearest Marks and Spencer but you get used to the travelling lol.

poppett
19-Jun-10, 12:20
You will learn to dress in "layers" for the ever changing weather in Caithness. I lived in Edinburgh for some years and always felt it was a "damp cold" there compared with Thurso...........and the coldest place I have ever been on a summers day is Aberdeen. It was so cold I had to go and buy a coat!

For those who think M&S should be a short walk from home use their online shop, also Debenhams, but you will find all you need between Thurso, Wick and the internet.

If you have the need to browse a day trip to Inverness can be fine, stopping at the Tall Pines restaurant at Dornoch for dinner on the way home.

For everything else...............ask on the Caithness.org forum.

balto
19-Jun-10, 20:46
welcome to the org, and thurso when you get here, i moved up here about 16 years ago, didnt come very far lol, wick to be exact, but i wouldnt move away back down now.

annie bowyer
20-Jun-10, 14:24
all your replies are very welcoming and makes me think it could be a great place to live- particularly since I don t mind cold, only rain, and I don t shop in Marks and Spencers! Thanks for the practical help too- have now found a couple of clubs and events to help on the dark nghts!

aurora32
20-Jun-10, 14:30
Welcome to the both of you, its a lovely place to live, hope you both enjoy living here :)

Margaret M.
20-Jun-10, 16:23
Uh ho, not liking rain, now that could be a drawback, Annie. You have the right idea though by wanting to join groups and stay so busy you won't notice the weather. It is a beautiful place and the sky is never boring.

Good luck to you and knitting kitten -- I hope your moves go smoothly.

oldmarine
20-Jun-10, 16:27

Don't let dissenters disuade you. Just because this person does not like Thurso does not mean there is something wrong with the town. I was there but a short time, still it was long enough to get to know people and enjoy the town. Good luck to you and I hope you find a good home for you to buy.

wicker8
20-Jun-10, 16:30
welcome i for one thought thurso was a friendly place :Razz

annthracks
20-Jun-10, 21:47
We wish!! We have a very modest tumbledown cottage and I am REALLY looking forward to having a kitchen that was built after 1980

LOL good luck with finding a post 1970's kitchen :lol:

Welcome, from a fenplodder, and don't forget to set your watch back 30 years :lol:

grumpy1
20-Jun-10, 23:17
Hello and welcome to the org...i hope u will be very happy here, i moved here from yorkshire 9 yrs ago..and i now class this as home its a been a great place to bring up my family :D