PDA

View Full Version : Roads

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 00:38
At the risk of being shot, I would like to offer my thanks to the gentlemen and ladies of the Highland Council and their contracting companies who have done such a good job of getting our county's roads back into some semblance of order after the horrible winter.
My fillings thank you. And my bottom and my heart. :cool:

ducati
18-May-10, 07:53
I was going to post this separately but as Tub's thread is here.....

I would like to congratulate and thank the teams that have been rebuilding the small burn bridges on the Wick to Castletown road. They are now more or less finished and they have done a superb job. The parapets have all been built in local stone and the finished result looks quality. They fit in with the look and feel of Caithness beautifully.

I hope some of the tradesmen and design team are on here or someone knows them to pass on my thanks for a really nice job :D

Bobinovich
18-May-10, 09:25
Seconded on both counts :) good work peeps!

Leanne
18-May-10, 09:27
And the road through Watten is now lovely! Such a shame that Scottish Hydro Electric chose to dig it up on 2 days after it was finished!!!

111heather
18-May-10, 10:17
well its a pity they dont do the road at argile square then broke my exsaust an shock absorber there last week when they going to fix that road?

Invisible
18-May-10, 13:34
At the risk of being shot, I would like to offer my thanks to the gentlemen and ladies of the Highland Council and their contracting companies who have done such a good job of getting our county's roads back into some semblance of order after the horrible winter.
My fillings thank you. And my bottom and my heart. :cool:

Take it you haven't travelled on South Road, Wick[disgust]

BIG BLUE
18-May-10, 16:48
I deliberately bought a 4X4 so i could drive around caithness as a whole without stumping out a fortune on repairs to our last "normal" family car, i fully agree the repairs to the bridges etc are great but why do we legal drivers pay road tax every year? i always thought that part of that money as well as paying for emergency services who do a great job went to the upkeep of the roads???:confused, it would take too long to type out all the "bad" bits on our local roads.

series2A
18-May-10, 16:54
Not been out west, the roads are deplorable and they didn't get gritted very often, the roads are so bad that your steering gets pulled out your hands.
Mind it is nice to be thanked for doing something that you get paid to do in the first place

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 17:00
...Mind it is nice to be thanked for doing something that you get paid to do in the first place
Just trying to slip away from the 'everything is awful, I hate this place, Britain is rubbish, we are always wrong, everyone in our country is terrible, I hate frauds and thieves (but tax evasion is OK as long as it's me that's doing it), don't you dare criticise Wick or J Fatts,' mindset for a moment.
Perhaps you're right. We'd better just not say anything about anything. That way we won't get anything wrong.;)

series2A
18-May-10, 17:18
Just trying to slip away from the 'everything is awful, I hate this place, Britain is rubbish, we are always wrong, everyone in our country is terrible, I hate frauds and thieves (but tax evasion is OK as long as it's me that's doing it), don't you dare criticise Wick or J Fatts,' mindset for a moment.
Perhaps you're right. We'd better just not say anything about anything. That way we won't get anything wrong.;)

Now I'm depressed :~(

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 17:24
Aw, sorry! I was just being a tchyoub!
Think of nice things, like lambs and big fluffy clouds and smooth roads.

Mind you, in a Series 2A your fillings will be at risk even on a smooth road!

series2A
18-May-10, 17:28
need it to climb out of the pot holes

Stack Rock
18-May-10, 17:39
Take it you haven't travelled on South Road, Wick[disgust]

Just to clarify - South Road is not a Council road. Its the A99 trunk road as far as the Dempster St junction.

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 19:21
Just to clarify - South Road is not a Council road. Its the A99 trunk road as far as the Dempster St junction.
I thought the A99 isn't a trunk road, it is a council road. Is that not what all the stramash was when the A9 got moved to Scrabster? {Edit - I was wrong, it is a trunk road. Still crap though}
Anyway, thanks to the council and contractors for fixing the roads everywhere except Wick and oot West.
Is that better?

Invisible
18-May-10, 20:25

ah cool, thats good to know for future reference.