PDA

View Full Version : beware of your mini moto

astro-kid
17-May-10, 22:47
Just a warning to my fellow minimoto owners. Just felt the long arm of the law while running on PRIVATE property with permission bothering nobody .
, had my bike taken by the girl in blue,[evil] told I need insurance even on private property. Told that it will cost £150 to get my bike back. All they have done is spoilt our fun and put us back on the street corner how boring. Maybe they should try catching real criminals and not 13 year old boys having a bit of fun in a town with nothing for youths to do
:~( 3 sad 13 year olds minus there bikes :(

pegasus
17-May-10, 23:14
Just a warning to my fellow minimoto owners. Just felt the long arm of the law while running on PRIVATE property with permission bothering nobody .
, had my bike taken by the girl in blue,[evil] told I need insurance even on private property. Told that it will cost £150 to get my bike back. All they have done is spoilt our fun and put us back on the street corner how boring. Maybe they should try catching real criminals and not 13 year old boys having a bit of fun in a town with nothing for youths to do

what would 13 year old boys know about the police catching real criminals or not?

can you not play football in the park?

ducati
17-May-10, 23:54
You have my sympathy and particularly because you were sensible enough to be riding on private land with permission. If that is the case and the public have no access, then the police are wrong and should not have confiscated the bikes. (How did they even know you were there?) :confused

If however it is land available to the public then they may have a point. Probably best to take legal advice because if they took the bikes in error they will have to return them without charge.

Dog-eared
18-May-10, 00:15
I don't think that's right. See a solicitor. A quick first chat is usually free, and they might put this right.

Metalattakk
18-May-10, 00:20
If that is the case.../

If indeed that is the case.

I suspect there is more to the story than the OP is presenting.

dx100uk
18-May-10, 01:00
if it is not gated the road rules apply

dx

Boozeburglar
18-May-10, 02:24
If the road is not limited access by means of some form of barrier then the normal rules of the road apply.

WICKER10
18-May-10, 09:37
Did this happen in Wick ?

northener
18-May-10, 09:52
Where was this private land?

telfordstar
18-May-10, 13:27
Think it was up at the old glass factory, saw police with a mini moto the other day.

WICKER10
18-May-10, 13:43
Think it was up at the old glass factory, saw police with a mini moto the other day.
If this is the case the ground belongs to Tullochs Inverness and they will not allow Bikes on it.
Also this site is open to Public so Police will Act.
The site is Not fenced off nor the gate so Road Traffic law applies

EDDIE
18-May-10, 17:09
If your on private land with consent of the owner you are not breaking any laws and dont require insurance providing the public doesnt have access to the land?

If the public has access to the land as well then its illegal
I think private land is defined as land that is fenced of completley from the public

Have a look at the link below on the police policy.

http://www.northern.police.uk/Default.aspx.LocID-0axnew01v.htm

If you are on private land that is fenced of then get the owner of the land to write a letter saying that you have permission to use his land then go to the police station and explain it to them but if u have to pay £150 to get it bavk you would probanbly be cheaper letting them keep it and get another

barmar62
18-May-10, 19:45
Shame not everyone thinks like you Astro kid, I live in a small village and have to put up with these noisy bikes being ridden on the "proper" roads, for the best part of the weekends. I don't expect they have insurance so what happens when one of them hits my parked car? They don't have helmets, and of course not a police car in sight ( they must all be up by the old glass factory, they seem fond of stopping people there!)

Dan5670
18-May-10, 20:23
Bloody jobworths - were they never kids themselves !!
A warning would suffice and return the bike to parents rather than confiscate.

Easy targets - kids and motorists - When a real crime is committed they havent a clue and miss the basics.
How many times has this happened - appealing for witnesses !!

The majority of law abiding citizens have no respect whatsoever for the police nowadays!!

Rant Over !!

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 21:56
Bloody jobworths - were they never kids themselves !!
A warning would suffice and return the bike to parents rather than confiscate. Easy targets - kids and motorists - When a real crime is committed they havent a clue and miss the basics. How many times has this happened - appealing for witnesses !! The majority of law abiding citizens have no respect whatsoever for the police nowadays!! Rant Over !!
Good rant! Isn't it amazing how many people are right up there demanding something gets done, yet are nowhere to be found when the appeal for witnesses comes out? And if it's their kids that the polis are hassling or lifting - How dare they! My son wouldn't do that! How can you respect them?

And I'm not talking about the Polis.

Gronnuck
18-May-10, 22:28
IMHO unless the kids had been persistent offenders they and their machines should have been taken to their parents and the laws governing mini-motos and their use explained to them in detail.

The police have a job to do; there may well be more to this story than we're being told here.

At the end of the day only very silly parents, or very arrogant ones buy their child a mini-moto or a quad bike without checking what their responsibilities under the law are first.

Kodiak
18-May-10, 22:50

My thought is this. If these innocent boys were riding, very carefully I am sure, within the confines of the old glass factory then how did they get there.

3 Boys on 3 Bikes, mmmmmm, I suppose it is possible that a Dad put all the bikes on the back of a large pickup. Or did they just ride the bikes over to the old glass factory, which I am sure thay didn't as that would have been illegal.

astro-kid
19-May-10, 19:34
my dad put our bikes in the back of the car and gave us a lift up to the old glass factory, we were very careful that we werent in anybodies way which we werent.[evil][evil]

Kodiak
19-May-10, 20:47
my dad put our bikes in the back of the car and gave us a lift up to the old glass factory, we were very careful that we werent in anybodies way which we werent.[evil][evil]

I am sooo happy that your Dad has a Real Big Car, big enough to hold 3 Bikes and four people. :D

scorpion
19-May-10, 21:03
i think that the lads are victim to whoever has been smashing the glass doors on the front of the old factory but with the point made regarding the police looking for real criminals i wish they would patrol the riverside a little more often , there is a sign up stating that it is an offence to drink in that area but last night i had to pick my way through a group of very drunk teenagers , that bit i dont really mind , what does p..s me off is having to steer the dogs through the broken glass as its obviously too much trouble for them to put thier rubbish in the bin which is at least six feet away . I think that when i pick up my dog mess in future i`ll just set it on the seats that they use instead of using the bin !!!

M R
19-May-10, 21:05
There mini motos, emphisis on the mini. would easily fit them in the boot of an average car and more !

Anyway, think this is a typical example of the police. Kids doing no harm to anyone and getting punished for it.

Quote : what would 13 year old boys know about the police catching real criminals or not?

can you not play football in the park?

I agree, make them play football in the park, god forbid they should do anything different. pfffff :roll:

Murph
19-May-10, 23:13
why are they bothered about three kids having fun and also having permission on private property to run there bike for instants on saturday night out side seaforth club a man was standing having a smoke when three youths approach him and began shouting that they were going to rape his to sons who are aged 3 and 5 and then started to hit him with a stick so why bother kids having fun on there mini motos what trust do we have :(:(:( surely the youths that committed this crime should be stopped

astro-kid
23-May-10, 20:34
grampian police approach goverment for more money for police officers.. why cant they be smart like wick police take away kids mini motos and then ask for £150 to get them back.easy money the only losers are the KIDS who have saved all there money to buy them.as well as the saving on shoes because now bobbies on the beat means walking from the office to the car whens the last time any of you seen a pc walking.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony
23-May-10, 22:37
Although I can understand the law regarding the location and public access. It was a Sunday and the glass factory car park was deserted so fail to see the harm really. Perhaps the police should turn a blind eye sometimes as in this case and shouldn't have been so heavy handed by taking the kids bikes as it will perhaps come back to haunt them with future police relations with the local community.
It should also be noted that the kids don't have anywhere to use their bikes and unlikely to do so due to the health and safety culture of today but would have been better if supervised and traffic cones or temp barrier blocking the entrance if the land owner agreed. Maybe the locals should speak with councilors if their really is a demand and arrange something.

Tubthumper
23-May-10, 22:53
Don't like to burst anyone's bubble, but what happens if one of the young chaps falls off and gets hurt? Who is liable? And before anyone snorts and says 'well of course, HE must be liable himself', remember in this litigious world today the landowners could find themselves being sued by irate parents with an eye for some Compo.
It's not about the 'Health & Safety World' we live in - It's about preventing folk getting hurt and preventing ourselves from being sued for something we have no control over.
Also, why not think about who would be liable if one of the young chaps lost control then hit an old lady out walking her dog? What would he do? Probably run away and deny he was ever there.

Gronnuck
24-May-10, 07:56
There have been similar problems with mini-motos and quad bikes in the Central Belt where children have been seriously injured and killed. Parents cried out for someone to set aside a piece of land for the use of enthusiasts. However when the land owners researched the possibilities they found that the costs of insurance, (they have to protect themselves from possible litigation) and the requirements of the law made such a venture totally impractical.
Unfortunately there are some parents who choose not to behave responsibly and indulge their children until something goes wrong and then blame everyone but themselves.
IMHO the only way forward is to form a properly constituted club where members adhere to strict rules, own or rent the land and pay a subscription to cover insurance costs. Unfortunately this means parents or volunteers would have to invest a lot of time and energy to run such a venture and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

ducati
24-May-10, 10:38
There have been similar problems with mini-motos and quad bikes in the Central Belt where children have been seriously injured and killed. Parents cried out for someone to set aside a piece of land for the use of enthusiasts. However when the land owners researched the possibilities they found that the costs of insurance, (they have to protect themselves from possible litigation) and the requirements of the law made such a venture totally impractical.
Unfortunately there are some parents who choose not to behave responsibly and indulge their children until something goes wrong and then blame everyone but themselves.
IMHO the only way forward is to form a properly constituted club where members adhere to strict rules, own or rent the land and pay a subscription to cover insurance costs. Unfortunately this means parents or volunteers would have to invest a lot of time and energy to run such a venture and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Not just any old ground either it has to be properly tarmaced or similar. Mini motos are proper racing machines and need treating with respect. Ever driven your car round a carpark at 60 Miles an hour?

Ideally a dual use Kart Track/Mini Moto track.

series2A
24-May-10, 18:12

there is the caithness motorcross club for just that sort of thing. Not so much for mini moto's but for other types of off road and quad bikes. Why not join that club and learn to handle bikes in a proper enviroment

mrlennie
24-May-10, 20:03
The police have forgotten the term "bigger fish to fry"

It's now bleed the shrimp dry.

Tubthumper
24-May-10, 20:06
I have an uneasy feeling about this thread. Somewhere in my head, my dad is telling me to be careful. Meanwhile the 12 year old in me is rolling my eyes and saying "Dad, for god's sake I won't hurt myself, I know what I'm doing!"
And that means I'm about to go over the handlebars and suffer yet another broken nose...

Oh to be young and invulnerable again!

Astro-kid, one day you'll turn into yer faither, same as the rest of us. Until then, try to enjoy your childhood while it lasts!!

ducati
24-May-10, 20:16
I have an uneasy feeling about this thread. Somewhere in my head, my dad is telling me to be careful. Meanwhile the 12 year old in me is rolling my eyes and saying "Dad, for god's sake I won't hurt myself, I know what I'm doing!"
And that means I'm about to go over the handlebars and suffer yet another broken nose...

Oh to be young and invulnerable again!

Astro-kid, one day you'll turn into yer faither, same as the rest of us. Until then, try to enjoy your childhood while it lasts!!

Oh oh and I want a mini moto......and a paint ball gun :cool: