PDA

View Full Version : 2nd homes

pegasus
17-May-10, 22:11
Listening to radio2 today in the car it was stated that the new ConLibDem crowd were to increase tax on 2nd home profits when sold to 40percent (it is 18percent at present). There was then a discussion between a woman from cornwall who said that these homes are wrong becuase locals can not buy local houses and a man from the Daily Mail who said that the people who buy the home contribute to the local area anyway.

Are 2nd homes a problem in caithness or orkney or sutherland? or is it just places like cornwall and Wales? What do you think?

series2A
17-May-10, 22:19
When I was working as a contractor with various electric boards, I was working in the Norfolk area and came across a virtualy deserted village nearly every house was a holiday home. Those people certainly werent contributing anything to the area

I think the politicians have a cheek when they have been ripping off the tax payer all these years on their second homes.

Phill
17-May-10, 22:21
2nd homes for MP's or similar should not, and really are not, required.

The government has spent millions providing accommodation for the parasites, they do not need any more. (didn't they pish millions on Dolphin Square?)

They can simply buy up and old tower block in London village and then rent out the rooms to the MP's. If they don't like it they can get minimum public transport cost paid instead.

series2A
17-May-10, 22:23
There was then a discussion between a woman from cornwall who said that these homes are wrong becuase locals can not buy local houses

Who sold those houses as holiday homes in the first place....locals?

Tubthumper
17-May-10, 22:28
Do we really think that those who have 2nd homes pay tax like us plebs? Nah, it's all in offshore accounts.
While we're getting a real good hate worked up against overpaid bankers, can I just add top-level football players, Russian oligarchs (and Australian/US/UK citizens) who own media empires, pop stars and Simon Cowell into the mix.
We must make sure that they all suffer as we 'have to'.

series2A
17-May-10, 22:29
2nd homes for MP's or similar should not, and really are not, required.

The government has spent millions providing accommodation for the parasites, they do not need any more. (didn't they pish millions on Dolphin Square?)

They can simply buy up and old tower block in London village and then rent out the rooms to the MP's. If they don't like it they can get minimum public transport cost paid instead.

Thats what I dont understand. There are a huge number of goverment buildings standing empty in and around london, that the goverment have refused to allow the shelter people use. So why cant the goverment just convert then into bed sits with a electric meter in each room and a couple of bathrooms on each floor for our politcians to use. If these politicians then think they deserve better, well they can but have to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Anfield
17-May-10, 22:31
What bugs me is that people who have 2 or more holiday homes receive a discount on council tax.

Lets hope that government removes this discount

rogermellie
17-May-10, 22:44
What bugs me is that people who have 2 or more holiday homes receive a discount on council tax.

Lets hope that government removes this discount

and what bugs me is that the owners of these holiday homes don't leave them sitting empty when they're not using it, they usually rent them out to holidaymakers at prices that will cover the cost of the mortgage they have on it.

i understand the point that these homes were likely sold by the locals in the first place, but the situation got out of hand somewhere along the line.

back to the original point, there's a few holiday homes around Caithness but not enough to grind my gears

pegasus
17-May-10, 23:00
When I was working as a contractor with various electric boards, I was working in the Norfolk area and came across a virtualy deserted village nearly every house was a holiday home. Those people certainly werent contributing anything to the area

I think the politicians have a cheek when they have been ripping off the tax payer all these years on their second homes.

The lady from Cornwall made the same point about empty villages. She said that even the village shop hasd had to close in the deserted villages down there.

ducati
18-May-10, 00:04
I don't see the problem. I don't have a second home but I might aspire to. And if I can afford to purchase said property why not?

I would suggest that not everyone who has a second home is wealthy and avoiding tax etc. It costs plenty to buy and run so you are paying in all kinds of ways.

And someone was complaining they leave villages empty and that the owners rent them out. Make your minds up! You will pay income tax on the rent.

Poll tax discount makes sense, you cant live in two places at once can you?

RecQuery
18-May-10, 08:02
Well for MPs I think they should implement something like a student halls of residence. They could even rent it out outside of parliament and make some money *.

As for second homes, I think they should close all loopholes, charge full council tax and have some sort of capital gains/second home tax. As for arguments about not living there etc, do people actually listen to the crap they spout. If I have two phone lines I have to pay for both even if I don't use one.

I think all this would force down house prices and rent to a reasonable level.

* Also MPs use they argument that students have to get loans and pay them back instead of bursaries as it sets then up for later life. Presumably being an MP would set someone up for later life, they could get on the lecture circuit or sit on a few boards etc. Therefore if someone gets another job after being an MP, they why don't they have to pay it back.

Commore
18-May-10, 14:44
I don't see the problem. I don't have a second home but I might aspire to. And if I can afford to purchase said property why not?

I would suggest that not everyone who has a second home is wealthy and avoiding tax etc. It costs plenty to buy and run so you are paying in all kinds of ways.

And someone was complaining they leave villages empty and that the owners rent them out. Make your minds up! You will pay income tax on the rent.

Poll tax discount makes sense, you cant live in two places at once can you?

" it costs plenty to buy and run"
aye, you're right, but then these second homeowners aren't daft either, as they buy up land (which is farm / croft land, and oust the tenants)
And then these second home owners have not only destroyed the lives and livliehoods of a generation of families, they then go on to "pick up the subsidies which should rightly go to "the working tenant" who the second home owner has just evicted, or rather ejected.
The "islands" are full of the second/third/ whole estate owners, whose main goal in life is to make the tenants / crofters/ etc, lives hades on earth.

I know of two estates, whereby the land was sold under the guise of a company and where farmhouses and crofts are laid empty, just because the houses are worth more than with a tenant occupying.

Deplorable state of affairs for 21st century Scotland.

Andfield
18-May-10, 15:13
Interesting stuff here for the Crofters Commission. How do you go about "ousting" a crofting tenant ? :confused

jimbews
18-May-10, 16:58
Who sold those houses as holiday homes in the first place....locals?
So are locals not allowed to sell their houses?
Upgrade, downsize, move elsewhere to where there are jobs, etc, etc?

If a house goes on the open market then there's nothing you can do about it: would you turn down the biggest offer (often from people who tell lies about how desperate they are to live here)?

Just thank your lucky stars you're not in an area like St Andrews where the rental market is such that houses demand premium prices. When we had the run-up to, and then the millennium celebrations in our street it was almost 100% owner-occupier and really well supported. Now over 1/3 rented, mainly to students. So you end up with property ill-maintained, uncared for, noisy, etc.

Plus of course those who retire here for the cheap golf available to local residents.

Roads in and out of the town busy with commuters: those who can afford to live here and work elsewhere, meeting those who work here but can't afford to either buy or rent.

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 17:02
If a house goes on the open market then there's nothing you can do about it: would you turn down the biggest offer (often from people who tell lies about how desperate they are to live here)?
Just thank your lucky stars you're not in an area like St Andrews where the rental market is such that houses demand premium prices. When we had the run-up to, and then the millennium celebrations in our street it was almost 100% owner-occupier and really well supported. Now over 1/3 rented, mainly to students. So you end up with property ill-maintained, uncared for, noisy, etc.
Plus of course those who retire here for the cheap golf available to local residents.
Roads in and out of the town busy with commuters: those who can afford to live here and work elsewhere, meeting those who work here but can't afford to either buy or rent.
You should buy a second home here.

series2A
18-May-10, 17:06

Just saying it's locals that started selling to outsiders because they generally outsiders have more money. So you end up locals complaining about incomers but it's their own friends and neighbours who sold the property inthe first place.
And you don't have to except the highest offer you can except a lower offer if it's made by a local, but who would do that

Commore
18-May-10, 18:02
Interesting stuff here for the Crofters Commission. How do you go about "ousting" a crofting tenant ? :confused

Harassment, intimidation, assault, tampering with personal property, making false allegations, etc etc, years and years and years of unadulterated "hades",
oh and the Crofters Commission were well aware as were every other other authority known to "man"..

Commore
18-May-10, 18:05
Just saying it's locals that started selling to outsiders because they generally outsiders have more money. So you end up locals complaining about incomers but it's their own friends and neighbours who sold the property inthe first place.
And you don't have to except the highest offer you can except a lower offer if it's made by a local, but who would do that

Someone with compassion for tradition?

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 19:12
Someone with compassion for tradition?
Who would no doubt have his compassion shaken when the local he sold it to at a 'fair price' proceeded to sell it as a holiday home for a major profit.
People are pretty crap, really. And the rich ones seem to be really crap.

ducati
18-May-10, 19:56
" it costs plenty to buy and run"
aye, you're right, but then these second homeowners aren't daft either, as they buy up land (which is farm / croft land, and oust the tenants)
And then these second home owners have not only destroyed the lives and livliehoods of a generation of families, they then go on to "pick up the subsidies which should rightly go to "the working tenant" who the second home owner has just evicted, or rather ejected.
The "islands" are full of the second/third/ whole estate owners, whose main goal in life is to make the tenants / crofters/ etc, lives hades on earth.

I know of two estates, whereby the land was sold under the guise of a company and where farmhouses and crofts are laid empty, just because the houses are worth more than with a tenant occupying.

Deplorable state of affairs for 21st century Scotland.

I wasn't thinking of buying an estate, just a house :eek:

pegasus
19-May-10, 01:41
Harassment, intimidation, assault, tampering with personal property, making false allegations, etc etc, years and years and years of unadulterated "hades",
oh and the Crofters Commission were well aware as were every other other authority known to "man"..

and nothing was done? was this in caithness?

Commore
19-May-10, 09:51
and nothing was done? was this in caithness?

No, this was on the islands. Caithness & Sutherland are a world apart from that particular island and a pleasure to be in.
Crofting here, is just that, crofting.
:)