PDA

View Full Version : Album Out Now!!!

K dragon
10-Jun-06, 14:11
david j hobbs singer song writer and guitarist from the live to die society has finally released his solo album "the lonely road"

its out now in good vibrations, only two pound.

he will also be relasing video singles as did the live to die society. hopefully they too will feature on tv.caithness

thanks.

Chobbersjnr
10-Jun-06, 14:36
I'm sure the Howlin' Gaels released an album called "The Lonely Road"

& why may I ask is it only costing £2 to buy

I suggest you're selling yourself a bit cheap perhaps

zebedy
10-Jun-06, 15:11
rockin down the lonly road! hee hee.. lol Howlin Gaels all the way!

swavey
10-Jun-06, 17:26
Lonely Road!

Chobbersjnr
10-Jun-06, 17:53
Lonely Road!

lmao.......................intelligence

mwahahaha

K dragon
10-Jun-06, 20:55
the album name was decided about a year ago and dave was reluctant to change it even though the gaels had one. its two quid because dave had the same moral as he did with the l2d album, why should people have to pay a chunk of money to hear a band they dont know havent seen etc.

as for for selling ourselves short, couldnt care less, we arent trying to sell music, we just make it. the albums were free but good vibe wanted a profit off them

Deemac
11-Jun-06, 16:58
dragon,
May I suggest then you may be de-valuing your music by only charging £2. If I saw an album at this price my reaction would be that it may be poorly produced, played or presented. (I'm NOT suggesting this of your CD at all). But it tends to be a general reaction of something VERY much cheaper than the standard pricing for a product.

Why not just have free internet downloads if you wish to give your music away and charge a reasonable prive for a CD (£6 - £8?) You might even make some money!! (give it to charity if you have something against making money from your musical art)

I think you might be more respected and taken more seriously as an artist also.

Chobbersjnr
11-Jun-06, 17:25
dragon,
May I suggest then you may be de-valuing your music by only charging £2. If I saw an album at this price my reaction would be that it may be poorly produced, played or presented. (I'm NOT suggesting this of your CD at all). But it tends to be a general reaction of something VERY much cheaper than the standard pricing for a product.

Why not just have free internet downloads if you wish to give your music away and charge a reasonable prive for a CD (£6 - £8?) You might even make some money!! (give it to charity if you have something against making money from your musical art)

I think you might be more respected and taken more seriously as an artist also.

the nail head has firmly been struck

Punter reaction "it only costs £2....................why?????"

Jeid
11-Jun-06, 17:58
Punter reaction... £8? Stuff that.

I wouldn't say £2 is selling himself short. He wants his music out there and by selling it cheaply, he's got a better chance of reaching his goal.

Chobbersjnr
11-Jun-06, 19:19
Punter reaction... £8? Stuff that.

maybe since the download now reigns supreme..................even £8 was cheap a while back

& it's the only product I've ever seen going out for that price............not that I care to much................but certainly people seem to think that expensive=good & cheap=something dodgy

BTW I hve not heard the stuff so cannot comment & even if I did it would only be "my opinion"

so I take it Astro Not's debut will sell for £1

K dragon
11-Jun-06, 19:42
well thanks jeid.

listen the post was just an ad.

to advertise that the cd was out. i couldnt care less if im not making money, or if i am. its music, i love making it and recording it. the only thing i have seen on this thread is questions, curious ones and ones that question the price. stop picking it to threads, its a cd with music on it made by david j hobbs and one cd by the live to die society, if you see it in good vibe and have two quid on you that you have to spare.......buy it or dont.

please dont question it. i dont love music for the reasoning....it just is what it is.

Chobbersjnr
11-Jun-06, 20:19
people question things all the time..................get used to it

BTW I might just buy it

I to record for the love of it all & if I do sell any of it it's for no less than £10 maybe that's why I eat 1/4 of a tattie a day

it's the nature of human beings to debate, discuss, have their opinions on, whatever. People still see your ad on the 1st post right

so excuse me while I pick

K dragon
11-Jun-06, 21:19
yeesh man chill, why you getting all agro about it, im just saying its a cd, im surprised why there is debat on sales tactics rather than the music itself. chill.

zebedy
11-Jun-06, 22:15
wooo!

*changes subject*

so.. tis been a nice day all day eh guys! ??

:D

Jeid
11-Jun-06, 22:21
so I take it Astro Not's debut will sell for £1

Astronot's debut, whenever that is, should sell cheaply. Under a fiver. If it were up to me, I'd give CD's away. The aim is to get as many people to listen to your songs as possible, if that means making a loss, then so be it. One thing is for sure, if someone turned up at a gig and got a free cd, even a demo, then they will always remember where they got it and who they got it from. That's a good thing. I want people to hear music. If they don't like it, then thats ok. But at least they gave it a go.

zebedy
11-Jun-06, 22:23
Astronot's debut, whenever that is, should sell cheaply. Under a fiver. If it were up to me, I'd give CD's away. The aim is to get as many people to listen to your songs as possible, if that means making a loss, then so be it. One thing is for sure, if someone turned up at a gig and got a free cd, even a demo, then they will always remember where they got it and who they got it from. That's a good thing. I want people to hear music. If they don't like it, then thats ok. But at least they gave it a go.

Yeah as i have watched on mtv2 and other channels to name a few.. they all say that... But that saying niver lasts .. lol ... money!. we want them to listen... oh yeah.. dont need the money :confused :lol:

Jeid
11-Jun-06, 22:38
To be honest Zeb, I can bet your ass half of those bands are making a loss. The record companies put them out there, but they don't really make a lot of money.

Difference between myself and any band on MTV2 is that they are already signed.

Arctic Monkey's pretty much had their music on myspace(you can listen to music for free on there) and thats how they got people into their music. Free and easy!

Deemac
11-Jun-06, 23:05
Guys, as the man says, all he wants people to do is listen to his music. Fair sentiment.

Get the music out to the public as cheaply as possible - good idea. Get your foot in the door so to speak.

This tactic is well tried and tested - Give the punter the taste and he'll come back for more if he likes it. Build up the punter base.

Eventually (unless you have an unlimited cash mountain near by) giving your musical pride and joy away for nothing isn't a great way of paying for the monthly bills. (or your raw production costs/equipment to produce recordings with/instruments!!)

O yes, I vaguely remember why I started to play music in the first place, and money did not feature on the agenda list at all, but now, it is nice to be rewarded for all your efforts.

Now, I only play/record (in public) if I'm paid (or see a profit) to do so. I've done the charity bit in the past, been in 5 or so bands all at the same time, playing every night of the week (for the love of it!!). I had ALOT more energy and enthusiasm then. (God I sound jaded!!).

It is nice to see this energy in other people. Good luck to them all. I envy their idealistic state. Eventually you are worn down and money (and making it) becomes a larger part of the creative process and your direction as a musician.

Jeid
11-Jun-06, 23:28
I'm not realistically relying on a band as a source of income. Just now it is a hobbie. I'd be very happy to play gigs for free. Why not?

Perhaps in many years I will get worn out by music, but I'm only 23, got lots of years ahead of me(well, unless I get hit by a bus). Playing every night of the week isn't a realistic option these days, so chances of being worn out are low.

Gotta see how it goes though...

K dragon
11-Jun-06, 23:37
this is an impressive debat im intrigued.

i value and appreciate all the questions and opinions truly i do. but in the end the album is there so please either buy it or dont.

i just want to say one thing though, to clear something i have noticed a few assume and say.

a few of you have said things in a manner where you think the band and myself DJH are trying to get somewhere with the music as in better gigs maybe some fame and what not. but we are not.

i dont expect or assume that anyone will remember our names in two weeks, but for the people who pick up those albums might sit in their rooms or be driving or even having a life changing moment and either relate to the song, cry to it, get mad to it, just to FEEL something. thats it. thats all i could ask for, i dont care about my financial state i dont care if im getting money or food on my table. just as long as one person in this big messed up world listens to those albums and feels something.

now could everyone chill, i didnt wish to incite venom upon you all.

Chobbersjnr
11-Jun-06, 23:45
i didnt wish to incite venom upon you all.

you didn't...................things always go from one point to another

I applaud you for your musical aims & desires, one can only assume you have a good paying day job

the "chilled one"

K dragon
11-Jun-06, 23:52
believe it or not im unemployed and i probably wont be employed for a very long time.

but i digress.

moncur
12-Jun-06, 12:40
have u tried looking for gigs? u can say to the landlord or manger that ur not looking to get paid which means they'll probably agree to it. then people who go and listen to you in the pub for free (who probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at your cd in the shop) might go and buy ur album, or come back to future gigs to hear any new material you have.

Then again, you still have to spend money along the way. just with little things like transporting your gear (two taxi rides at £5 a time on a sunday!), borrowing a friends PA (10 or 15 quid as a goodwill gesture). Thats most of your unemployment benefit down the drain straight away (I'm assuming thats where the bulk of your income comes from)

The point I'm trying to make is that none of us are in it for the money, but overheads must at least be covered, so that we can eventually break even. Think about all the equipment that people buy over the years. I didn't start getting paid for gigs until recently, and I still do my fair share for charities. I've bought enough equipment to do me for the forseeable future and its cost me a lot in petrol etc, but I dont want to be left out of pocket by it, so for the majority of gigs I will be looking to get paid until such time where I feel that my gig money has paid for the majority of the gear i've bought.

K dragon
12-Jun-06, 15:39
again some folks have obviously not read my below posts, we dont have a drummer been looking for one for ages, but no one seems to be available. and im afraid we dont do pub gigs, not that kind of music. we have a few offers down south as our cd is doing very well down their but again....no drummer. and a new club in cornwall called devilution also asked us to play. but AGAIN.................no drummer.

and im on disability benefits but thats still not a lot. but again i dont want money back from gigs and what not. money complicates things. brings too much.....trouble and suffering. and yes i know that it gets things done quicker and easier but the band and myself have our beliefs. obviously if we start gigging down south an exchange of money will be dealt with, but more for the members than myself.

in short at the moment we enjoy being underground. BUT we would like maybe one or two gigs this summer. but alas no drummer.

moncur
12-Jun-06, 19:44
Empty Fortune dont have a drummer. we do gigs all the time.

Jeid
12-Jun-06, 22:27
You're an acoustic band though.

clash67
12-Jun-06, 23:12
the album name was decided about a year ago and dave was reluctant to change it even though the gaels had one. its two quid because dave had the same moral as he did with the l2d album, why should people have to pay a chunk of money to hear a band they dont know havent seen etc.

as for for selling ourselves short, couldnt care less, we arent trying to sell music, we just make it. the albums were free but good vibe wanted a profit off them

yeah pitty you had to use the title "The Lonely Road" as it is very similar to our album "Lonely Road" (Howlin' Gaels) but none the less I wish you well with the album. you may want to rethink your opinion on the "I aint in it for the money" thing although I can appreciate what your saying, for example you mentioned that at the end of the day you realy just want people to hear your music and to evoke some feeling from the listener, however in order to do this with a degree of success the fact is that the more money that you can put into a recording project the better the over all result will be eg.the more time you will be able to spend on takes, paying for a quality engineer or session players, and then once the product is ready again the rule is the same for presentation, after all everybody loves to see their album with a cool cover and the artwork can be a costly process if you realy want your album to be well presented with a thought provoking cover that says something about the feel of the album or the musicians involved. Then we come to marketing which definately means that the more money you spend the more you will be able to bring peoples attention to the music that your trying to get out there, posters, radio advertising, placing a banner on the org or travelling to radio interviews all help to get your music out there but they all cost money, so you see music is a beast that eats money even it your just doing it for a hobby, at the end of the day even if you have no wish to make a profit that doesn't mean that you don't need to make money. Please take this only as a piece of friendly advice, I just felt like a rant and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.
Once again , all the best with the album...what genre is it? Or is that for another thread? lol

K dragon
13-Jun-06, 02:26
i respect that i do. but again, i dont want to get anywhere with the music other than someone listening to it and i dont wish my music to be expertly produced or fancy looking, a decent tune and some good emotional lyrics its all i need.

the album isnt just a cool name, its called that for a personal reason.

i dont have to follow economical morals or procedures, i dont have to make a fancy and good looking package. in the end is it not up to the buyer?i would rather someone bought it out of curiosity than looking at a cover and sayin " thats a very well produced looking album, very professional indeed, i better by it."

no offense to all the great bands in thurso and caithness, but im just not going to do things your way....and i realise no one is forcing me to do so.

Music + Me + my privacy = happiness

Music + money + fame+ respect + politics + sociology = an unbearable and personally unfufilled life not to mention my own personal hell.

simplicity is key.

Chobbersjnr
13-Jun-06, 18:50
.................fair enough

sjwahwah
13-Jun-06, 20:21
Music + Me + my privacy = happiness

You've got the right idea Kdragon!

K dragon
14-Jun-06, 02:14
thanks dude. much appreciated.

Chobbersjnr
14-Jun-06, 02:45
thanks dude. much appreciated.

dude you said dude again

go stand in the corner:evil

K dragon
14-Jun-06, 03:09
(hangs head in shame)

drat, must seek counselling for that lol

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-06, 09:12
yeah pitty you had to use the title "The Lonely Road" as it is very similar to our album "Lonely Road" (Howlin' Gaels) but none the less I wish you well with the album. you may want to rethink your opinion on the "I aint in it for the money" thing although I can appreciate what your saying, for example you mentioned that at the end of the day you realy just want people to hear your music and to evoke some feeling from the listener, however in order to do this with a degree of success the fact is that the more money that you can put into a recording project the better the over all result will be eg.the more time you will be able to spend on takes, paying for a quality engineer or session players, and then once the product is ready again the rule is the same for presentation, after all everybody loves to see their album with a cool cover and the artwork can be a costly process if you realy want your album to be well presented with a thought provoking cover that says something about the feel of the album or the musicians involved. Then we come to marketing which definately means that the more money you spend the more you will be able to bring peoples attention to the music that your trying to get out there, posters, radio advertising, placing a banner on the org or travelling to radio interviews all help to get your music out there but they all cost money, so you see music is a beast that eats money even it your just doing it for a hobby, at the end of the day even if you have no wish to make a profit that doesn't mean that you don't need to make money. Please take this only as a piece of friendly advice, I just felt like a rant and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.
Once again , all the best with the album...what genre is it? Or is that for another thread? lol

A good start would be to open an myspace.com account.

K dragon
15-Jun-06, 02:33
we do, we have had one for months, well the band does. it states that on the you tube vid site. the vids are also on tvcaithness.com and the details are there.