PDA

View Full Version : Caitness Sumemr Time

girniegoe
12-May-04, 21:10
Have we gone for unilateral independence at last and I've missed the revolution?? :confused Reason I ask is that although I know Caithness is a land above all others I hadn't realised that we had opted out of British Summer Time? All postings are shown 1 hour behind my clocks. I know there must be a reason but I have missed the explanation. :roll:

Anonymous
13-May-04, 09:14
At the bottom right of this box it reads "All times are GMT"

moshmosh
13-May-04, 19:11
Oh the amusement.

girniegoe
13-May-04, 20:39
Apologies, apologies, apologies Niall!! I would like to put it down to a blonde/senior,female moment but that would be telling wouldn't it! :roll:

MadPict
13-May-04, 23:51
At the bottom right of this box it reads "All times are GMT"

GMT - Girniegoe Mystification Time?

girniegoe
15-May-04, 11:48
OR Gollach Makes Trouble - (not the Golach you understand) - and also typed Girnigoe wrongly when joining - but couldn't change it :confused :~( !!

Wait a Minute - I just submitted this post and it showed 10.48 as the time but the time is almost 12 noon!! Vindicated !! Please someone else try and see if I am going bonkers

Mr P Cannop
15-May-04, 12:02
ok i will try and see what happens

Mr P Cannop
15-May-04, 12:03
ok 1 hour behind

girniegoe
15-May-04, 12:23
Thank You Mr P Cannop :D

Now MoshMosh, MadPict and (sorry to say) Niall how about that?

GMT should it be CMT (Caithness Manufactured Time?)

Forgot to change to British Summer Time maybe - oh but Caithness Summers can be elusive

Geo
15-May-04, 13:40
In your Profile is it set to GMT, (near the bottom of your Profile page)?

girniegoe
15-May-04, 14:23
Yes Geo it is. thanks for the info I take it we have to manually add on the 1 hr for BST then, I've done it now. Took it for granted that it would be updated at source - sorry, or am I?

MadPict
15-May-04, 15:55
- and also typed Girnigoe wrongly when joining - but couldn't change it :confused :~( !!

An Admin should be able to change your username - I know we can on the board I Admin on - just ask them nicely ;)

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminblob.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

Anonymous
17-May-04, 10:14
I think Girniegoe is a cool name, might have been better wi a "u" tho. Not sure about changing it, need to speak to Colin.

As for the time, as you all know, time is an abstract concept, forum time doubley so.

Personally I like it being GMT, I really hate the fact that we STILL have Daylight Saving. What a bizarre concept in the day of "floodlit farming" and tractors with lights. Most farmers I know work in the dark when required anyway, this mucking about with the clocks is bad for your normal routine. e.g. I leave my bedside clock on GMT all year and my alarm goes off at 7:30am GMT regardless of time of year.

Plus when you get into daylight saving, it confuses people in other countries, as their time is linked to GMT and not BST. And imagine how confusing it gets when daylight saving applies in their country as well.

In the interests of forum order, GMT rulz, as allowing the post time to be set by each individual posters pc would create strange post times and things would get out of sequence pretty quickly.

Anyway, whats more important, the post or the time it was posted? (09:14 GMTish)

George Brims
17-May-04, 23:23
LOL Niall well you should try doing busines in the US where not only do some states do summer time and some not (so for instance the time difference between Hawaii and California is 3 hours in summer and 2 in winter) but at least one state (Indiana) has a part that does and a part that doesn't! You can get on a (slow, non-Concorde) plane for a short trip and arrive before you left.

Oh and the US changes clocks a week later than Europe in spring, but the same week in the autumn. I think. Or is it the other way round?

No wonder I'm always running late for work.

girniegoe
17-May-04, 23:38
Oh Niall I'd like first to say that I am totally in agreement with you regarding British Summer Time - outdated and confusing! Notice it's now GMT + 1 hr - now I feel guilty for causing trouble!! :~( thanks for paying attention anyway.

I'll ignore the implication that I am a girnie person (or have I got it wrong again because I don't understand why I would use the letter "u"?) and say again I should have known better than to get the spelling wrong considering I was born in Girnigoe Street! Anyway I'm not bothered about getting the spelling changed.

Keep up the good work, Niall, it wasn't meant as a criticism really.

Anonymous
18-May-04, 08:43
Dont worry, no critisism taken, but does just go to show what a load of old cogs british summer time is, and daylight saving in general. So how do we go about getting it scrapped?

I've build javascript clocks for folk with websites in the US and most of them didnt know when their clocks changed, especially if they had moved about a few states in their life as George points out. What a nightmare! How do they enforce things like the watershed over there or is it just a channel by channel thing.

I can see the need for timezones (kinda), but it always seemed to be a strange notion to try and get daylight at the start of the day when you just lose it at the end. I suppose that working from home frees you from the clock watching a bit and I've not worked a 9-5 for many moons so the time only comes into my life when I have to meet up with people who live by the time. I used to work with an Iranian family in aberdeen and the thing that got to them was the fact it didnt get dark in the summer until 10-11pm. They were used to much shorter days and much darker nights.

The more I chat to folk in europe the more it all seems like a 2 point hiccup in an otherwise smooth running year. And dont forget about the countries where daylight saving is in the other half of the year :roll:

JAWS
18-May-04, 12:56
I agree Niall. What a load of rubbish all the time changes are. Lets just stick with GMT and have done with it.

Either that or Move south a little on the compass so the sun gets there later :evil

George Brims
18-May-04, 23:41
Actually as a Caithness person now living a good bit nearer the equator, I do appreciate the need for summer time. It basically gives me a bit more daylight in the summer evenings, without which the weeds would totally take over my garden. From the perspective of Caithness, where it hardly gets dark in the summer, I can see why it might seem pretty much unnecessary.

MadPict
19-May-04, 00:26
Maybe the time has come for us to adopt Internet Time -

http://www.swatch.com/internettime/home.php

What is Internet Time? Internet Time exists so that we do not have to think about timezones. For example, if a web surfer in New York makes a date for a chat with a friend in Rome they can simply agree to meet at an "@ time" - because Internet Time is the same all over the world...

posted at Internet Time @17

or was it @975 :confused

JAWS
19-May-04, 01:19
George, been there, done that anywhere from 500 to 700 miles south of Caithness and still thought it was a stupid idea.

Never had any problem gardening even after midnight British Silly Time, mind you, the neighbours did object to the Ghetto Blaster but that was easily solved - got rid of the neighbours.

As for internet time, we already have a single time zone all over the world and have had or a couple of centuries - and guess what! It's called Greenwich Mean Time.

All you have to do is listen to the World Service of the BBC and that's how listeners from every continent knows when to tune in.

BST was only invented less than a Century ago and until then the world managed quite well without it.

Anonymous
19-May-04, 09:45
Goerge, the amount of daylight is not affected by the time of day.

If you need an extra hour of daylight in your day, simply get up 1 hour earlier and go to bed 1 hour earlier. What difference does it make if its dark at 8pm or 9pm?

Sure, adjust YOUR day according to the amount of daylight you need for whatever reason, but please leave MY day alone.

For all you 9-5ers, try this, during the summer, get up when the sun gets up (ok not before 4am), go out for a walk, do some gardening, whatever, then go to work, you'll be surprised how fresh you are by the time 9am comes round, how easy it is to concentrate. Then at night, go to bed around 9:30pm and you'll be fresh as a daisy for your 4am start. Plus you will also begin to appreciate how meaningless the time on the clock really is.

Perhaps thats a good question for everyone, to what extent does the time dictate your day? (or how of your day does the tv schedule control?)

Donnie
19-May-04, 11:23
My life revolves around 9-5. There is nothing I can do about that, I have to work. After that my time is my own. I am not a day person I am more of a night person. People make fun of the amount of time people waste watching tv. Well what about the amount of time you waste sleeping? The less of it I get the better. I've trained myself to live on no more than 6hrs a day. Hopefully one day scientist will discover a cure to the horrible disease we call sleep. Think of all the extra time you'd have. You could replace the bed in your house with that pool table you've always wanted. Can you tell I'm a MacDonald? After Glencoe I'm genetically against sleep.

George Brims
20-May-04, 19:19
I'm not a 9-to-5er I'm an 8-to-6er and then it takes me an hour to drive home (if I'm lucky) so without summer time the place is in darkness when I get home. Actually next week I'm an 8-to-6er where the 8 is pm and the 6 is am but that's what happens when you work with astronomers. Anyway the whole thing is kind of artificial, like Niall says it would be simpler to just get up earlier, but I am not really a morning person so that doesn't appeal. Maybe it's just considered simpler to change the clocks than persuade businesses to change working hours.

Now I'm going to lose a lot of sleep thinking about the horrible fate awaiting JAWS as he works with an electric hedge clipper in the dark.

JAWS
20-May-04, 20:27
Apart from the Borders and the Highlands where is it ever dark in Britain.

If it takes an hour to travel home then I would guess we are talking about in or near a city. Wall to wall lighting the curse of the modern world.

Whatever happened to "By the light of the silvery moon"?