PDA

View Full Version : thief

riggerboy
17-May-10, 09:01
i hope she get the jail as punishment for stealing the money, paying it back should not a punishment, it is a legal requirement, sent her to jail and let her rot for a few months as punishment,

either that or maybe we should have ourselves a nice hanging in the market square,

hang her hang her hang her
hang her hang her hang her high

after she has paid the money back,,,,

ShelleyCowie
17-May-10, 09:02
ok RB.........who are u on about? :lol:

Cant hang someone unless we know who!

riggerboy
17-May-10, 09:04

its a quiz, follow yer nose around the org shelley,

ShelleyCowie
17-May-10, 09:05
its a quiz, follow yer nose around the org shelly,

My nose is blocked. will come back later :(

riggerboy
17-May-10, 09:12

its front page news forgoodness sake shelley get with the programme

shazzap
17-May-10, 09:34
its front page news forgoodness sake shelley get with the programme

Is it the Newsbot story?

riggerboy
17-May-10, 09:46
Is it the Newsbot story?

yup shelley really is on the slow mo today,

a thief by any other name is still a thief,
they call it embezzlement i call it stealing or thiefing,if you call it embezzlement it doesnt seem to have the same stigma to as being called a thief, i do hope you read this, i noticed you ran away from the shame, not of being a thief but by being caught

veekay
17-May-10, 10:00
I must have missed a lot of this one so can I ask a question please?

If this money was embezzled ( stolen) from a charity by this person, what on earth were the other members of the charity doing, I am pressuming here that they were registered with OSCR and had the proper committee etc. so why did it happen?

riggerboy
17-May-10, 10:04
I must have missed a lot of this one so can I ask a question please?

If this money was embezzled ( stolen) from a charity by this person, what on earth were the other members of the charity doing, I am pressuming here that they were registered with OSCR and had the proper committee etc. so why did it happen?

full story on the thief and her stealing is on the front page,

ss.sv650
17-May-10, 11:13
i hope she get the jail as punishment for stealing the money, paying it back should not a punishment, it is a legal requirement, sent her to jail and let her rot for a few months as punishment,

either that or maybe we should have ourselves a nice hanging in the market square,

well said, nuff said.......

Westsider3
17-May-10, 11:18

Whilst I totally agree that a thief is a thief and calling it embezzlement makes it sound better, I think you are totally out of order making statements like this on a public forum. I do not know the woman who did the embezzling and I am not connected to Wick but this is completely imappropriate and I hope the moderators remove this thread ASAP.

shazzap
17-May-10, 11:20
Whilst I totally agree that a thief is a thief and calling it embezzlement makes it sound better, I think you are totally out of order making statements like this on a public forum. I do not know the woman who did the embezzling and I am not connected to Wick but this is completely imappropriate and I hope the moderators remove this thread ASAP.

This is just a joke.

macbreeza
17-May-10, 11:26
What about the fact that it's a local news story which affects everyone who has ever given a donation on Gala night?!

GLENELG
17-May-10, 12:10

I fully agree with you there riggerboy.[lol]

LMS
17-May-10, 12:56
Whilst I totally agree that a thief is a thief and calling it embezzlement makes it sound better, I think you are totally out of order making statements like this on a public forum. I do not know the woman who did the embezzling and I am not connected to Wick but this is completely inappropriate and I hope the moderators remove this thread ASAP.

What is inappropriate about it? The woman stole thousands of pounds, she has been convicted and they are still giving her a chance to pay back the money. Turn her upside down, get all the money out of her that they can and chuck her into Cornton Vale for a couple of years.

Public money has a place on a public forum.

The courts are too soft with thieves and there is no deterrent for stealing. You can pinch money, pay back a bit, get a rap on the knuckles and carry on regardless.

scorrie
17-May-10, 13:20
what on earth were the other members of the charity doing,

Can't say for sure. I am assuming that they were willing to trust the excuses given, before one day discovering the inconsistencies and crying out loudly:-

"Hoots Mon, there's a spruce loose aboot this hoose" ;)

Westsider3
17-May-10, 13:39
What is inappropriate about it? The woman stole thousands of pounds, she has been convicted and they are still giving her a chance to pay back the money. Turn her upside down, get all the money out of her that they can and chuck her into Cornton Vale for a couple of years.

Public money has a place on a public forum.

The courts are too soft with thieves and there is no deterrent for stealing. You can pinch money, pay back a bit, get a rap on the knuckles and carry on regardless.

I totally agree and I do not condone thieving. I also happen to think the courts are by far too lenient too. However, my point is that the posting is really personal and quite threatening and I don't think that should be on a public forum.

Invisible
17-May-10, 13:51
I totally agree and I do not condone thieving. I also happen to think the courts are by far too lenient too. However, my point is that the posting is really personal and quite threatening and I don't think that should be on a public forum.

If its good enough to be in the newspapers/online, then its good enough for the orgers to talk about.
God made Caithness/Caithnesia for gossipers.

Westsider3
17-May-10, 14:10
If its good enough to be in the newspapers/online, then its good enough for the orgers to talk about.
God made Caithness/Caithnesia for gossipers.

Yes I agree totally as it is in the public interest but I do think there is a way of saying things and I think the posting on here about hanging is totally inappropriate.

riggerboy
17-May-10, 14:12

whats threatening about it ????????its all over the papers and online, where should this be discussed in the pub ?????

Westsider3
17-May-10, 15:46
"either that or maybe we should have ourselves a nice hanging in the market square,

after she has paid the money back,,,, "

I'd say that is threatening and unnecessary words! Anyway we are not going to see eye to eye on the subject and we are each entitled to our opinions. I'll leave you to it.

riggerboy
17-May-10, 15:50
"either that or maybe we should have ourselves a nice hanging in the market square,

after she has paid the money back,,,, "

I'd say that is threatening and unnecessary words! Anyway we are not going to see eye to eye on the subject and we are each entitled to our opinions. I'll leave you to it.

okay but heres a wee bit of fact for you to chew on, firstly the hanging part is my signature on here,

2, guess who got a new scoda octavia for xmas
3, nice cruise for a holiday,
4, hair done weekly,
and swans about stornaway like shes the queen yes you guessed it the thief herself,o and just to let you know the school she works in, think its a damn disgrace as well,

yes the above are fact,

talk about flaunting it,

pegasus
17-May-10, 16:43
Peanuts.

When we going to hang the bankers?

:D

scorrie
17-May-10, 16:52
okay but heres a wee bit of fact for you to chew on, firstly the hanging part is my signature on here,

2, guess who got a new scoda octavia for xmas
3, nice cruise for a holiday,
4, hair done weekly,
and swans about stornaway like shes the queen yes you guessed it the thief herself,o and just to let you know the school she works in, think its a damn disgrace as well,

yes the above are fact,

talk about flaunting it,

True enough, Riggerboy wants to hang EVERYONE, so it is hardly to be taken literally.

I have to question whether a new SKODA can be classed as "flaunting it" though ;)

Great stuff that you can walk into another job after being caught at the "hey-diddle-diddle" though. I thought posts involving kids would require full disclosure? Perhaps the selectors were impressed by the term "Very creative with books" on the application form?

riggerboy
17-May-10, 16:56
Peanuts.

When we going to hang the bankers?

:D

i dont realy care about them as they dint pinch the money from our poor towns charity,

True enough, Riggerboy wants to hang EVERYONE, so it is hardly to be taken literally.

I have to question whether a new SKODA can be classed as "flaunting it" though ;)

Great stuff that you can walk into another job after being caught at the "hey-diddle-diddle" though. I thought posts involving kids would require full disclosure? Perhaps the selectors were impressed by the term "Very creative with books" on the application form?

this i like very much, how very true, still i wouldnt mind nicking a good few grand buying a new car and then telling the court sorry i`m skint, you can have it back at 10 bob a week

pegasus
17-May-10, 17:18
i dont realy care about them as they dint pinch the money from our poor towns charity,

No they are nicking it from all of us.

A thief is a thief and should be identified as such tho' your suggested hanging of thieves was just a joke i hope. :)

The car (and Skoda make very good cars now) can be siezed and sold can't it?

riggerboy
17-May-10, 17:24

A thief is a thief and should be identified as such tho' your suggested hanging of thieves was just a joke i hope. :)

hanging is a joke yes,

car is in the hubbys name along with everything else of value, she is making a mockery out of all and even the courts,

not fit to drive to wick for the court hearing but fit enough to drive all over stornaway and fly down to doncaster whenever she feels like a jolly

fender
17-May-10, 17:56
My you do have double standards. Is 'Troy' paying his taxes??

scorrie
17-May-10, 18:03

Skodas are normally already seized ;)

catran
17-May-10, 18:36
The bit I cannot understand how did a person manage to do this? Surely when there is a committee there should be two signatures to the cheques ect?????How was it allowed to go on for any length of time without being discovered?

Andfield
17-May-10, 20:29
A bit off the subject but according to the .org front page report this woman is working as a classroom assistant ? What about the disclosure business ? :(:([evil]

Phill
17-May-10, 20:44
She 'woz' innocent when the disclosure was carried out?

As for the car not being seized due to being in hubby's name..... I'm sure there is a possibility the Revenue may take a view on these items and how the 'income' was earned and the appropriate taxes paid!

Tubthumper
17-May-10, 21:20
I can't help wondering about 'social background reports'. In this case the thief seems to treat the legal process with complete contempt. Have there been no background reports obtained by the Sheriff Court? If so, why has there been no action on repeatedly failing to attend court due to 'medical problems', failing to remember what happened to the cash, failing to remember that a new car has materialised, failing to show any contrition or shame, in fact failing to even acknowledge the fact that any wrong-doing took place?
If it was me that had pinched some dosh, I'd be nailed for it, pregnant or not. Is she an MP, a Lord or a Sheriff?[evil]

Fred, there's a conspiracy going on here - can you advise please?

jac1791
17-May-10, 21:34
Well my understanding is there WAS 2 signitures on the cheques so why is it everyone only talking about 1 person, so she has took all the rap, but who says the car is hers - think people should ask to see the car documents, or that she paid for any holiday???

as i know from recent experiance with our local paper they print their own story without getting the facts right!!

yes it is a charity and yes it is wrong that the money has been taken but i believe the committee was made up of more than 1 member -- if you were on a committee and was only getting verbal accounts at meetings -- would you leave it 3 years before asking to see the books !!!! plus i would have been asking all involved to answer , did your mums no learn you ""fly with the crows get shot with the crows"" and if you ask me that is what has happened -- 1 person has taken the rap when it should have been more!!!!

Tubthumper
17-May-10, 21:58
Fair points Jac. Seriously, can we have the names of the other committee members please?

Or are they another kind of 'protected species' in the county?

Phill
17-May-10, 21:58
yes it is a charity and yes it is wrong that the money has been taken but i believe the committee was made up of more than 1 member -- if you were on a committee and was only getting verbal accounts at meetings -- would you leave it 3 years before asking to see the books !!!! plus i would have been asking all involved to answer , did your mums no learn you ""fly with the crows get shot with the crows"" and if you ask me that is what has happened -- 1 person has taken the rap when it should have been more!!!!

Me thinks jac has a point.

pegasus
17-May-10, 22:01
Well my understanding is there WAS 2 signitures on the cheques so why is it everyone only talking about 1 person, so she has took all the rap, but who says the car is hers - think people should ask to see the car documents, or that she paid for any holiday???

as i know from recent experiance with our local paper they print their own story without getting the facts right!!

Where did your understanding of there being 2 signatures come from?
as for anyone else involved in the theft the thing is that this thief would have been charged after a C.I.D. investigation and if that investigation highlighted someone else then the fiscal would have prosecuted the other person as well.

I agree with tunthumper that this thief has made a mockary of the court system. Cant come today, got a bad leg. Or no sorry, will not be coming today as ive got a sore hip.

Mind you alot of charity workers seem to have new cars and go on several holidays. perhaps this one was unlucky that the spotlight fell on her. :)

Tubthumper
17-May-10, 22:06
I'm agreeing with Jac that there were more than just this individual involved. People in Wick were quite happy to be 'on the gala committee'. They must have felt warm and moist while doing it. I think they should step forward and explain why they let a single person make a fool of them AND the people of Wick they were supposed to be representing!
The people of Wick were robbed. And there was more than one person involved. No-one is pushing the case too hard so that the good burghers of Wick who let their fellow citizens down aren't embarrassed.

pegasus
17-May-10, 22:15
I'm agreeing with Jac that there were more than just this individual involved. People in Wick were quite happy to be 'on the gala committee'. They must have felt warm and moist while doing it. I think they should step forward and explain why they let a single person make a fool of them AND the people of Wick they were supposed to be representing!
The people of Wick were robbed. And there was more than one person involved. No-one is pushing the case too hard so that the good burghers of Wick who let their fellow citizens down aren't embarrassed.

"warm and moist"

bit crude i think.

macbreeza
17-May-10, 22:46
If you are connected to the person in question then you are going to try and spread the blame.

A treasurer is someone trusted to manage the income thats the whole point of the position. If someone wants to steal then usually they are very crafty in how they go about it, am sure if there were others involved and I was the embezzler I would have taken them down with me.

pegasus
17-May-10, 23:05
If you are connected to the person in question then you are going to try and spread the blame.

A treasurer is someone trusted to manage the income thats the whole point of the position. If someone wants to steal then usually they are very crafty in how they go about it, am sure if there were others involved and I was the embezzler I would have taken them down with me.

good points.

Blarney
17-May-10, 23:21
Don't think that we can start slagging off the Gala Committee when the same folk get lumbered with doing all the work year after year. We are very quick to judge other folks' efforts and find them wanting but very reticent when volunteers are required. Perhaps that's why this particular thief got away with it for so long. When she volunteered to take on the onerous role of treasurer the rest of the committee must have breathed a huge sigh of relief that someone actually wanted to help........unfortunately she wanted to help herself! She breezed in from God knows where and must have thought she was in heaven. I wonder how many other poor suckers she fleeced before she did a runner to Wick?
Hang fire with the hanging for now Riggerboy, I'd like to see her do as LMS suggested first..... held upside down until they extract the ill gotten gains and then a good long spell in Cornton Vale - that should teach her to keep her hands off the funds that the public spirited folk of Wick dug deep to put into the coffers. [disgust]

scorrie
17-May-10, 23:22

There is a huge difference between being negligent in your duty and deliberately setting out to steal funds. One offence might carry the penalty of being fired from a committee, while the other involves criminal investigation. You are stating that other people should have "taken the rap", which seems a clear suggestion that other people were involved. Since the Police know which other people are/were on the committee and that there has been an investigation in which no others have been implicated, it is pretty thin ice to be skating on by inferring that others should have been taken to task for the crime in question.

jac1791
17-May-10, 23:56
i have been a member of a commitee in the past and 2 signatures were needed for ALL cheques, so if the other gala committee member was signing cheques shouldnt she have been checking what she was signing for and who the cheque was for.. and as for the rummer mill in wick saying this lady signed blank cheques for the so called thief to use -- what kind of committee was that to sign blank cheques not made out to anyone!!! and as for the comment saying if im connected to the thief i would want to spread blame -- well they dont know very much because i am not connected to the person in question just think this is wick at its worst -- opening their mouth before thinking through the facts first

2 signitures!!!!!

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 00:16

I'm connected to no-one. I asked who else was involved in the committee. That way I can be sure I don't let them near any of my money. At the very least they were careless. Good intentions count for nothing when you are dealing with other peoples charity cash.
If people were so careless they let a fraud and thief get away with stealing for three years, how do we know how much money there was? And if we don't know that, how can we know how much got nicked?
I would also like to know who the supposed accountant/ auditor of the charity accounts was, and why they haven't been brought to book.
Wickers are very quick to gossip, accuse and point the finger, but not so rapid when it's time to 'fess up, even if it is just to being gormless.

Fran
18-May-10, 00:32
You should all go to wick sheriff court on June 11th then you will find out the details you are all longing to know, plus the outcome of this long drawn out case.

jac1791
18-May-10, 00:34
but Fran they cant do that -- that way its true facts they hear not rumour mill ones that they love so much

slinky
18-May-10, 05:05
course u can do it sit in the court listen to gossip wotever but wots it got to do with yous is wot id like too know ?????exactley nothing

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 07:19
Be quiet slinky, this conversation is for grown-ups.

TisIivy
18-May-10, 08:15
interesting thread,if she did the crime she should do the time,is it the first time though ?and why are people denying being associated with her all of a sudden?

_Ju_
18-May-10, 09:43
Yes I agree totally as it is in the public interest but I do think there is a way of saying things and I think the posting on here about hanging is totally inappropriate.

You do not need to hear the intonation to understand that Riggerboy was not suggesting that this person should literally be hung. If nothing else, the fact that britain abolished capital punishment a "fair whiley" ago should have given you a clue. I don't know the agenda that you might have, but publically decrying a person who stole public money is not only a right, but a DUTY. It is OUR money.

This person took money that belonged to everyone of us for her own use. What entitles her to be called an embezler is the fact that she wrote checks for the money, instead of directly sticking her hand in someones pocket to lift it. But she is still a thief. One who broke trust with her charity. One who broke trust with every person who donated money. One who broke trust with her community. That is a shame that has to follow her, and not be hushed up, to make sure it does not happen again!

jac1791
18-May-10, 10:00
she is the partner of my partner!! i think she i thas being the scape goat! THERE WAS MORE THAN ONE SIGNATURE ON EVERY CHHEQUE!!!! so where is the other person???

catran
18-May-10, 10:09
i have been a member of a commitee in the past and 2 signatures were needed for ALL cheques, so if the other gala committee member was signing cheques shouldnt she have been checking what she was signing for and who the cheque was for.. and as for the rummer mill in wick saying this lady signed blank cheques for the so called thief to use -- what kind of committee was that to sign blank cheques not made out to anyone!!! and as for the comment saying if im connected to the thief i would want to spread blame -- well they dont know very much because i am not connected to the person in question just think this is wick at its worst -- opening their mouth before thinking through the facts first

2 signitures!!!!!
I was led to believe two signatures was necessary. BLANK CHEQUES , well surely
that could not have happened.

WICKER10
18-May-10, 10:13
she is the partner of my partner!! i think she i thas being the scape goat! THERE WAS MORE THAN ONE SIGNATURE ON EVERY CHHEQUE!!!! so where is the other person???

There is more than One side to this story others on the committee have alot to Answer for.
Questions need to be asked and answers demanded

riggerboy
18-May-10, 10:40

thuoght you werent connected, i see a connection in your very own statement ????

as for the cheque book,
i remember it said that the book of cheques were signed all at once """ to save hassle ""and trust put in the thiefs (oops sorry treasurers)hands,

again i will go back to the beginning a thief by any other name is a thief, she stole £22000 from a charity has paid very little in the way of guilt, ran off to stornaway and hid from the world, but ask her if she has heard of the saying """ running away only makes for tired legs the guilt is something she has to carry for life, stornaway is not that far away and the jungle drum dont say nice things about her there either, she will be found out for who and what she is, a thief ,i`m sure the school will have something to say when the groat lands on the doorstep,

riggerboy
18-May-10, 10:42
You do not need to hear the intonation to understand that Riggerboy was not suggesting that this person should literally be hung. If nothing else, the fact that britain abolished capital punishment a "fair whiley" ago should have given you a clue. I don't know the agenda that you might have, but publically decrying a person who stole public money is not only a right, but a DUTY. It is OUR money.

This person took money that belonged to everyone of us for her own use. What entitles her to be called an embezler is the fact that she wrote checks for the money, instead of directly sticking her hand in someones pocket to lift it. But she is still a thief. One who broke trust with her charity. One who broke trust with every person who donated money. One who broke trust with her community. That is a shame that has to follow her, and not be hushed up, to make sure it does not happen again!

here here and the more that shout her name and show that she is a thief the better,

WICKER10
18-May-10, 11:05
thuoght you werent connected, i see a connection in your very own statement ????

as for the cheque book,
i remember it said that the book of cheques were signed all at once """ to save hassle ""and trust put in the thiefs (oops sorry treasurers)hands,

again i will go back to the beginning a thief by any other name is a thief, she stole £22000 from a charity has paid very little in the way of guilt, ran off to stornaway and hid from the world, but ask her if she has heard of the saying """ running away only makes for tired legs the guilt is something she has to carry for life, stornaway is not that far away and the jungle drum dont say nice things about her there either, she will be found out for who and what she is, a thief ,i`m sure the school will have something to say when the graot lands on the doorstep,

RB if you know the School name please put it on Here people have to be protected from this Thief.

_Ju_
18-May-10, 11:34

Often, in organisations, where a relationship of trust has been established, one person will sign several cheques to make management easier. I think (it is only my opinion), that the rest of the comitee became compalcent. They chose to believe the excuses. They chose not to query too much. And in that choice they were negligent and yes, should bear a portion of responsibility . But I do not think that others (or the other signatory) in the comittee pocketed money. If they had I am absolutely sure that the person who has been convicted of this crime would have made it known.

macbreeza
18-May-10, 12:54
I think Wick people on the whole are very trusting, we live in a small community, also the comittee is not run by some hard nosed professionals but people who give up their time to keep our gala running every year, they do the best job they can. Because of this and maybe to an extent a degree of niavity I think the operations and procedure of the financial side of the comittee in question has been open to foul play more than it perhaps should be.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN ITS OK TO ROB! It's like saying that if there was only one signature allowed then it would be within her right to take the money! It doesn't matter what the rules and regulations are, the money was not hers to take. End of story. Padding this out with but this and but that is taking away from the fact that over £20k of Wick's gala money was STOLEN.

If she didn't take it why is she paying it back?

I caught a staff member stealing from a till on CCTV and just before I had to sack her (which i LOVED) I gave her the opportunity to apologise and admit it. (this wouldn't have affected the outcome she was still getting sacked, the evidence was there for all to see). The thing that got to me the most? Not the fact that I gave this person a job, I trusted her and gave her an opportunity but the fact she was too much of a COWARD to do the right thing and admit it and apologise! to me thats the worst. I would love to be there on 11th June but unfortunately i have to make an HONEST living and work.

Margaret M.
18-May-10, 14:04
she is the partner of my partner!!

Partner of your partner -- would that not make you all partners or is this like one of those riddle thingies?

I agree with RB but you have a point in that the committee had a responsibility to verify that the funds were actually in the account. Audits were obviously done in the past because the books being with the accountant was used as an excuse so it is puzzling as to why none of the committee members were suspicious sooner. Trust but verify is a good rule to follow in life -- no-one is a thief until the opportunity presents itself.

I hope she has to pay back every penny.

riggerboy
18-May-10, 14:21
RB if you know the School name please put it on Here people have to be protected from this Thief.

Gravir, the Parc area of the Isle of Lewis, google away,

WICKER10
18-May-10, 14:50
Gravir, the Parc area of the Isle of Lewis, google away,
First Class info RB :D

scorrie
18-May-10, 14:52
she is the partner of my partner!!

That either makes HER into YOU, or your partner has more than one partner!!

Despite you having claimed that you are NOT connected to this woman, what you actually mean to say is that this woman is the partner of your partner's brother. Anyone with the nous to take the words Karen Spruce and pop them into Google can find that out for themselves in an age where so many people love to tell the world all about their lives on Bebo etc

I think we can safely take your input into this discussion with a large pinch of salt given the relationship involved. It's nonsense to suggest that two signatures equates to two people being involved in THEFT. Karen Spruce should be in jail and that is the fact of the matter. I think a world where we punish theft by letting the person simply pay back the stolen money is not really showing much incentive NOT to steal.

"Hey, I'll nick some money, if I get caught, I'll pay it back!!"

Margaret M.
18-May-10, 15:15
Karen Spruce should be in jail and that is the fact of the matter. I think a world where we punish theft by letting the person simply pay back the stolen money is not really showing much incentive NOT to steal.

Very true, Scorrie. I was reading a bit about the number of times she's failed to appear in court -- seems absurd that she is getting away with so much.

Turquoise
18-May-10, 15:23
Karen Spruce should be in jail and that is the fact of the matter. I think a world where we punish theft by letting the person simply pay back the stolen money is not really showing much incentive NOT to steal.

Indeed Scorrie, well said!

If half of the folk who pinched from their work were actually prosecuted for what they did, there would be less stealing going on everywhere in Caithness. It happens constantly and most of the time it goes unreported, which only encourages these people. Unfortunately, most of these crimes lack the solid evidence or confession, to charge them. What happens then? They go off and get themselves a job elsewhere and do the same again - not all employers will bother with references if they think they know that person. There are people in trust all over the county who should be nowhere near cash and valuable stock!! Sad, but very true!

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 17:13
What confuses me is that despite the laws and disposals available to the court, nothing seems to have happened to this woman. Why is that? She can't be a Mason, can she?:eek:

Of course, this does tend to mask the input and ineptitude of the people who were 'on the committee'. The Wick gala took place over the three years the thief was active, therefore some money must have been spent. And surely someone who had provided a service or product to the gala would have made enquiries about unpaid bills. Was no-one paying any attention?:eek:

Actions = consequences, a thief should get an appropriate sentence, as deterrent and punishment.

scorrie
18-May-10, 18:32
think this is wick at its worst -- opening their mouth before thinking through the facts first

2 signitures!!!!!

If anyone should be thinking the facts through before opening their mouth it is yourself!!

A quick look at the Groat Online shows an article dated 24th February from which I have extracted the following:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Spruce was spoken to by the police on December 1, 2008, and was accompanied by a legal representative.

She confirmed that she was the treasurer of the association and that she was in sole charge of the cheque books and bank account details.

The accused indicated that cheques were often blank or incomplete when they were countersigned."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"SOLE charge of the chequebooks and bank account details" says everything that needs to be said. Ms Spruce's actions make it self-evident that it is not a good idea to countersign a blank cheque. Other than that fact, you are talking utter nonsense and making a fool of yourself here.

viking
18-May-10, 18:39
Surely this thread has to be stopped now. Can't believe what I'm reading. I do not know Wick or the person involved but this is just awful.

reddevil
18-May-10, 19:20
If anyone should be thinking the facts through before opening their mouth it is yourself!!

A quick look at the Groat Online shows an article dated 24th February from which I have extracted the following:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Spruce was spoken to by the police on December 1, 2008, and was accompanied by a legal representative.

She confirmed that she was the treasurer of the association and that she was in sole charge of the cheque books and bank account details.

The accused indicated that cheques were often blank or incomplete when they were countersigned."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"SOLE charge of the chequebooks and bank account details" says everything that needs to be said. Ms Spruce's actions make it self-evident that it is not a good idea to countersign a blank cheque. Other than that fact, you are talking utter nonsense and making a fool of yourself here.
right on the nose scorrie,you did your homework and put her to bed,well done.

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 19:25
I can't believe that rational people would set up a committee with tens of thousands of pounds of the public's dosh and absolutely no control or idea what they were doing. Trust? There should be a programme in place to stop people that thick from breeding.
But of course, everyone denies having anything to do with it, don't they?
Yet again Caithness goes into denial. It's all someone else's fault, so that's OK.

macbreeza
18-May-10, 20:07
it is someone's fault! it's her fault, she took the money!

I have worked in a lot of places where one person has access to thousands of pounds, 2 signatures were required for banking purposes etc, but as I said before there are ways round it, those who rob are very crafty.

Procedures will not stop theft, if someone wants to steal money they will, procedures merely act as a deterrent and to reduce the risk of theft.

sweepy
18-May-10, 20:16
after reading all the comments on the subject of k spruce(theif and fraudster) first about 2 signatures on cheques that is true but you cannot stop a person from signing it twice in different names which later came to light our books were supposedly sent to oscr yearly spruce always produced a headed letter from the said thanking us for the aduited accounts stating everything was in order and hoped to hear from us again next year ,again this was found out to be printed out on her own computer by herself . no more can be said at the moment by us as it could jepordise the outcome of this case but after she is sentenced all will be revealed in the groat
this is from the horses mouth

macbreeza
18-May-10, 20:26
Thanks for that!!!!!!!

like i said, there is always a way to steal if you want to [evil]

WICKER10
18-May-10, 21:03
after reading all the comments on the subject of k spruce(theif and fraudster) first about 2 signatures on cheques that is true but you cannot stop a person from signing it twice in different names which later came to light our books were supposedly sent to oscr yearly spruce always produced a headed letter from the said thanking us for the aduited accounts stating everything was in order and hoped to hear from us again next year ,again this was found out to be printed out on her own computer by herself . no more can be said at the moment by us as it could jepordise the outcome of this case but after she is sentenced all will be revealed in the groat
this is from the horses mouth

As you seem to be in the know about the Gala Funds what happened to the money collected last year?
Why are you accounts not available for the Public to see eg in the Library?
Why is the new commitee not listed with the oscr?

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 22:30
As you seem to be in the know about the Gala Funds what happened to the money collected last year?
Why are you accounts not available for the Public to see eg in the Library?
Why is the new commitee not listed with the oscr?

Maybe it's justifiably being kept quiet until the case is heard. I'm humbled and have a huge respect for those who have stepped up to keep the gala going despite all the hoo-hah. I doubt that anyone will be taking any chances with funds now!
On reflection, perhaps the lack of action is to get as much of the dosh back as possible before sentence is delivered. After all someone in the chokey can't really contribute much: Couple of mail sacks a week maybe?
(By the way I was joking about the breeding thing - anyone who does their best for their community gets my vote!)

pegasus
19-May-10, 01:22
I am very surprised the mods haven't closed this as it is illegal to allow all these remarks before the case at wick sherrif court has closed.

It would only be possibly illegal if there was a danger of affecting the result of the trial. since she has been confirmed guilty no such danger exists.

pegasus
19-May-10, 01:56

2 signitures!!!!!

I am confused more than ever. AS riggerboy said you stated that you were not connected to the thief.

how do you know that there was more than one signature (ive asked this of you before).

riggerboy
19-May-10, 08:05
Surely this thread has to be stopped now. Can't believe what I'm reading. I do not know Wick or the person involved but this is just awful.

whats awful, everything on this thread is in the paper,whats awful is the KS stole £22000 of charity raised money, then ed off to stornaway and a new life with the attitude of to hell with wick i`m never going back anyway, thats what awful,

and to think if she stole yer money you wouldnt be complaining or kicking off about it at all

_Ju_
19-May-10, 09:38
whats awful, everything on this thread is in the paper,whats awful is the KS stole £22000 of charity raised money, then ed off to stornaway and a new life with the attitude of to hell with wick i`m never going back anyway, thats what awful,

And you forget, Rigger, that her actions tarnished the charity, making people very weary of donating, has made running the summer festivities of Gala week in the last two years very uncertain and has possibly jeopardized the future of gala week for the forseeable future!!!

jac1791
19-May-10, 11:12
ok what makes me connected ??? because I see a man that happens to have a brother that sees someone?? i dont see why that makes me connected, and as i said about the cheques --- would you sign blank cheques when you did not know what they were for? i wouldnt...

Crackeday
19-May-10, 11:36
ok what makes me connected ??? because I see a man that happens to have a brother that sees someone?? i dont see why that makes me connected, and as i said about the cheques --- would you sign blank cheques when you did not know what they were for? i wouldnt...
In most peoples head that makes you "sisters in law" almost!
With regards to signing the cheques-This woman is a blatant thief who is obviously good at conning people and used her "skills" to dupe and con people because basically at the end of the day who would con a community that you live in out of money?(besides the aformentioned thief).

The counter signer obviously broke no law, stole no money or they would be in court too, Karen Spruce did,was caught,should pay us back and then do the time.
All the counter signer is guilty of is TRUST, something which Ms Spruce knows nothing about![evil]

_Ju_
19-May-10, 11:36
i dont see why that makes me connected, and as i said about the cheques --- would you sign blank cheques when you did not know what they were for? i wouldnt...

Signing blank cheques would make you silly, naive, negligent of your duties as co-signee and incompetant. It still wouldn't make you a thief.

macbreeza
19-May-10, 11:45

You are connected through your partner. So your loyalties lie with him and his family, it's human nature to be that way. You can't tell me you have never spoken to your partner's brother or KS ever?? about anything? never been in the same room as them? had a conversation? Heard their side? all these things put together make you connected.

How do you know she didn't forge the other person's signature?? She already produced fake documents etc so that would be child's play. Am sure if blank cheques were signed then the person would have been told what they were for and some long winded story would follow. Like I said previously those who rob are crafty and relaxed procedures were used to an advantage.

Still makes it theft.

scorrie
19-May-10, 16:05
how do you know that there was more than one signature (ive asked this of you before).

We know this because it was in the same article in the Groat Online that I referenced earlier, dated 24th Feb 2010. And I quote:-

"Cheques issued by the organisation required to be signed by the treasurer and countersigned by the chairman.

However, it emerged that blank cheques were often countersigned - a move which was done in good faith but resulted in helping the accused carry out her deception.

The fiscal stressed that Spruce was effectively the only person who dealt with the money coming in and being paid out by the organisation."

The last sentence is all that anyone, except perhaps jac1791, needs to read in order to stop havering on about anyone else being culpable.

scorrie
19-May-10, 16:17
You are connected through your partner. So your loyalties lie with him and his family, it's human nature to be that way. You can't tell me you have never spoken to your partner's brother or KS ever?? about anything? never been in the same room as them? had a conversation? Heard their side? all these things put together make you connected.

How do you know she didn't forge the other person's signature?? She already produced fake documents etc so that would be child's play. Am sure if blank cheques were signed then the person would have been told what they were for and some long winded story would follow. Like I said previously those who rob are crafty and relaxed procedures were used to an advantage.

Still makes it theft.

Precisely, we are not talking about "people seeing people" here. Both pairings are in long-term relationships and live together. It is just the same as if they were family.

Once again Google and Bebo are excellent allies in learning about people who congratulate other people on a new job in Stornaway before admitting to missing the cuppies of tea with the departed citizen of the Burgh. No connection though ;)

WICKER10
19-May-10, 16:27
IS THIS THE SAME JAC OF PULTENEY NEWS I ASK ?
The Partner of KS his brother was Part Owner of Pulteney News.

henry20
19-May-10, 18:37
would you sign blank cheques when you did not know what they were for? i wouldnt...

Yes, I would and have. I am a cheque signatory at work and have signed blank cheques and been given blank cheques as I am in a position of trust, as are the others I have signed cheques for

~~Tides~~
19-May-10, 19:09
Signing blank cheques is negligent and a breach of fiduciary duties and contrary to good faith. This is the law of the UK, for which the case of Dorchester Finance Co v Stebbing is authority. The context of that case was non-executive directors signing blank cheques. It is also generally the case that trustees of charities/trusts etc are under subject to a higher duty of care than the directors of a company.

Case abstract:

"Held, upholding D's claim, and ordering an inquiry as to damages, that the directors of a company had to act in good faith and in the interests of the company. They also had to display such skill as could reasonably be expected of persons with their knowledge and experience, and they had at all times to take such care as a prudent man would take on his own behalf. On the facts all had been negligent. "

golach
19-May-10, 19:42
Yes, I would and have. I am a cheque signatory at work and have signed blank cheques and been given blank cheques as I am in a position of trust, as are the others I have signed cheques for

Hear Hear the key words "Position of Trust". this female broke the trust of the committee, the people of Wick ,for her own greed, she should have done time and paid the money back.

jac1791
19-May-10, 21:30
his brother was never part owner of Poltney News, think you need to stop reading the groat!!! chip was never my business partner and never will be my business partner! Karen has never been my sister-in-law and NEVER will be!

sids
19-May-10, 21:58
Signing blank cheques is negligent and a breach of fiduciary duties and contrary to good faith. This is the law of the UK, for which the case of Dorchester Finance Co v Stebbing is authority. "

So is it Statutory, or Scottish Common Law?

Highland Laddie
19-May-10, 22:03

It's in the news papers for goodness sake
how much more puplic can it get

WICKER10
19-May-10, 22:04
his brother was never part owner of Poltney News, think you need to stop reading the groat!!! chip was never my business partner and never will be my business partner! Karen has never been my sister-in-law and NEVER will be!

This was implied in the Groat Report;
On Scottish Assessors Web Site owners of Pult News listed as J Quilliam & M Miller as at 1 April 2010.
This is Public Information which can also be found in the Library or Council Service Points in the Assessors Register.

Blarney
19-May-10, 23:19
You're doing a damn good job of digging that big hole - and all by yourself!!! If I were you I'd be quiet now because you are protesting too much.

catran
20-May-10, 00:18
Your doing a damn good job of digging that big hole - and all by yourself!!! If I were you I'd be quiet now because you are protesting too much.

What big hole? The person involved is so guilty but as jac says how on earth did Karen Spruce go on a spending spree for three years before being found out???Surely someone on that committee must have smelt a rat when no accounts were forthcoming and cheques were being issued willy nilly. Surely as with all committees some people must have been jumping to get paid, Galas cant run on fresh air and what about the committees prizes, dinners and drinks ect., or do they pay for that themselves? The Gala committee do a great job every year and it must be quite stressful but how on earth did this thief con them for three whole years?

Amy-Winehouse
20-May-10, 10:31
Bit of a witch hunt on here :eek:

But as I gave money to the gala floats that year & some wifie has decided to abscond with the dough & stick the 2 fingers up at all of us here in WK , I think its only right it should be debated on here.

If we cant talk about issues like this which does affect a lot of people in the town- what can we speak about ?

miss Spruce should really have gotten a spell inside for her mis demeanors , but as Im no relation to her or anyone on the Gala Comittee I wont be digging a hole for myself or biting like a fish .

badger
20-May-10, 11:33
Any properly run charitable or voluntary organisation will have 2 signatories for the bank account, invoices for every payment out whether cheque or cash and a statement from the Treasurer at regular meetings. Admittedly the last can be rubbish unless members ask to see a printout but the accounts should also be checked, or audited, once a year for the AGM by a completely impartial person agreed by the members and unrelated to the committee. This person will check everything for the year - bank statements, invoices, everything.

If this had been done the Treasurer might have got away with stealing for one year but that's all.

scorrie
20-May-10, 12:37
This was implied in the Groat Report;
On Scottish Assessors Web Site owners of Pult News listed as J Quilliam & M Miller as at 1 April 2010.
This is Public Information which can also be found in the Library or Council Service Points in the Assessors Register.

For the purposes of clarity I have posted this link:-

http://www.saa.gov.uk/h-wi-vjb/search.php?SEARCHED=1&ST=&SEARCH_TERM=31+DEMPSTER+STREET&ASSESSOR_ID=&SEARCH_TABLE=valuation_roll&x=8&y=13&__utma=203509138.808343646.1274352662.1274352662.1 274352662.1&__utmb=203509138&__utmc=203509138&__utmz=203509138.1274353441.1.2.utmccn%3D%28organi c%29|utmcsr%3Dgoogle|utmctr%3DSCOTTISH+ASSESSORS+A SSOCIATION|utmcmd%3Dorganic&DISPLAY_COUNT=10&TYPE_FLAG=C&ORDER_BY=SET+DESC&DISPLAY_MODE=FULL&UARN=01%2F05%2F205042%2F3&PPRN=202545&ASSESSOR_IDX=8&#results

Which shows that the M Miller is one Michelle Miller. Other orgers can make of that fact what they will. I am implying nothing at all, just providing the information in the interests of fairness to all.

Crackeday
20-May-10, 12:38
Thats a different story compared to all the postings about the shop!!
And the photos on Bebo! (dont you just love Bebo;))
Makes no difference at the end of the day She nicked the money, she cant be trusted, hope Stornoway arent as forgiving as some on here.

Amy-Winehouse
20-May-10, 12:47
For the purposes of clarity I have posted this link:-

http://www.saa.gov.uk/h-wi-vjb/search.php?SEARCHED=1&ST=&SEARCH_TERM=31+DEMPSTER+STREET&ASSESSOR_ID=&SEARCH_TABLE=valuation_roll&x=8&y=13&__utma=203509138.808343646.1274352662.1274352662.1 274352662.1&__utmb=203509138&__utmc=203509138&__utmz=203509138.1274353441.1.2.utmccn%3D%28organi c%29|utmcsr%3Dgoogle|utmctr%3DSCOTTISH+ASSESSORS+A SSOCIATION|utmcmd%3Dorganic&DISPLAY_COUNT=10&TYPE_FLAG=C&ORDER_BY=SET+DESC&DISPLAY_MODE=FULL&UARN=01%2F05%2F205042%2F3&PPRN=202545&ASSESSOR_IDX=8&#results

Which shows that the M Miller is one Michelle Miller. Other orgers can make of that fact what they will. I am implying nothing at all, just providing the information in the interests of fairness to all.

Michelle Miller is Chip`s daughter, So Jac isnt telling porkies to my knowledge

WICKER10
20-May-10, 13:21
Typed the words THE CAITHNESS TOUR in to Yahoo search and to my surprise the old address details of KS came up
this was the same address as she used for the Gala Week Committee.
Does any one Know what happened to THE Caithness Tour I do remember them with a New Ford Transit minibus a few years ago and KS was promoting the company.
On there Site they use the term Ltd but companies House Website has No listing i can find Strange!

Max
20-May-10, 13:45
They were the Caithness Tour. They received money from CASE to set this up!

Miss X
20-May-10, 13:46
Part of Wick Gala Week is about topical, decorated floats travelling the streets of Wick and the public throwing money at the floats to raise funds.
This year why not have a float with K Spruce tied to it and let the public decide a suitable punishment for her (with the use of copious amounts of rotten fruit and whatever else comes to mind!!!). Treat her the way she has treated Wick - with complete and utter contempt and disrespect!! There must be a byelaw that allows this!!!!!:lol::lol:

Invisible
20-May-10, 13:48
Was there not a themed float last year on this topic?

scorrie
20-May-10, 15:23
Michelle Miller is Chip`s daughter, So Jac isnt telling porkies to my knowledge

That is why I posted the link. It seemed as if the suggestion was that Chip was the M Miller. I wanted to let people know that wasn't the case, in the interest of fairness.

As far as I am concerned, none of that has any bearing on this thread anyway. My concern is with the denial of a connection, when it is quite clearly there for all to see. You don't have to be married to be connected to someone, nor do you even have to be connected by partners who are brothers. Simply being the friend of someone accused is enough to make you biased in any matter involving them. As previously said, it is human nature to react that way.

We will probably never know what happened to the money, but it is pretty galling for the people of Wick to read on Bebo about Karen Spruce taking a Mediterranean Cruise on The Norwegian Gem and it is difficult not to have suspicions given the circumstances.

jac1791
21-May-10, 09:16
thats right J Quilliam and M MILLER not J Miller!!!!!!

thanks Amy- Michelle is Chips daughter but chip has never been a partner or anything in the business!!!

moureen
21-May-10, 21:50
The bit I cannot understand how did a person manage to do this? Surely when there is a committee there should be two signatures to the cheques ect?????How was it allowed to go on for any length of time without being discovered?
Even with two signatures it is possible to embezel money happened to a charity in Inverness the man was charged,found guilty, and spent some months in prison the money was never returned he went on his merry way working etc.

WICKER10
07-Jun-10, 16:00
KS is Back in Wick Sheriff Court on Friday 11Th June listed on Court Web page today

riggerboy
07-Jun-10, 21:55
KS is Back in Wick Sheriff Court on Friday 11Th June listed on Court Web page today

ahh damn i`m offshore or i`d be there booooing her, lets hope the thief get the jail 4 or 5 years would be nice

DeHaviLand
07-Jun-10, 22:06
ahh damn i`m offshore or i`d be there booooing her, lets hope the thief get the jail 4 or 5 years would be nice

Wot no hanging?

riggerboy
11-Jun-10, 09:15
now as i sit on the steel island today((( i really wish i could be in the gallery of that court room today))) i wonder if there will be a hanging in the sheriff court, will the thief get her just desserts or will the weak justice system bend to her and give her a slap on the wrist,

will all the money be paid back and the world will see how wonderful she is (not) will the courts say that paying the money back is punishment enough( most possible, pinch what you like give it back in drips and drabs its okay)

i do hope the court sees sense and gives our town some justice, i hope after all the money has been paid back a long jail term be given as punishment,

i wonder when the school she now works in will be told of her conviction, will she have the cheek to use the unions to try and protect her from us the public when in reality it is us the public that need protecting against her ??????

will she have the cheek to carry on as if she has done no wrong, the ""white elephant"" (as she is know in hushed whispers in the teachers quarters) in the school should be removed,

anyway heres hoping

hang her high in the market square ,

katarina
11-Jun-10, 09:57
Signing blank cheques would make you silly, naive, negligent of your duties as co-signee and incompetant. It still wouldn't make you a thief.

signatures can be forged you know. It happened to us by a member of staff when we were in business. And the forgery was so good i wouldn't even have recognised it as not being my own signature.

riggerboy
11-Jun-10, 15:51
case put off until the 25th o i`m home then i canna wait to see her face, no wonder she was telling everyone at work that she would return on monday as usual ????

you know out of it all she still hasn`t said sorry ,,,,,

wonder if she comes on here and reads about herself,,,, na she`ll be to busy robbing some other mugs with a smile on her face

WICKER10
19-Jun-10, 23:25
case put off until the 25th o i`m home then i canna wait to see her face, no wonder she was telling everyone at work that she would return on monday as usual ????

you know out of it all she still hasn`t said sorry ,,,,,

wonder if she comes on here and reads about herself,,,, na she`ll be to busy robbing some other mugs with a smile on her face
Soon be Gala Week and this is still ongoing hope the Sheriff brings it to a end soon

WICKER10
25-Jun-10, 13:01
RIGGERBOY were you in Court so we can get an update on this THIEF

upolian
25-Jun-10, 13:43
What happened with this?

Fran
25-Jun-10, 13:52
The court case finally concluded today at 1pm.

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 13:53
And...????:eek:

upolian
25-Jun-10, 13:57
The suspense is killing me......

Kevin Milkins
25-Jun-10, 14:35
The suspense is killing me......

They have arranged to hold a fund raising stall at this years gala with hope that they can raise enough money to pay off her fines and costs.

upolian
25-Jun-10, 14:41
They have arranged to hold a fund raising stall at this years gala with hope that they can raise enough money to pay off her fines and costs.

Next joke?

upolian
25-Jun-10, 14:44
Quick look on google took me to the article which lead to finding her name printed,quick search on bebo and facebook and there she is,she's no shy!!!

riggerboy
25-Jun-10, 15:55
i missed it and i also havent a clue what happend heres hope she on her way to jail, but the way the system works she`ll probably get a warning not to get caught again

upolian
25-Jun-10, 16:20
i missed it and i also havent a clue what happend heres hope she on her way to jail, but the way the system works she`ll probably get a warning not to get caught again

Nope she didn't get jail,absolutely shocking what she got,i was speechless when told!!!

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 16:20
Well tell us then!

WICKER10
25-Jun-10, 16:38
Pity it was not Sheriff Cameron on the bench today he might of Jailed THE THIEF.
She was walking on Bridge Street as if Nothing Happened The court is just a Joke it was our Money she Stole.Money that would of been put to the Good of the Town
I Hope the Wick Gala Commitee will now issue a statement detailing there Funds and how this was allowed to happen and How they are going to Pay Back money due to the council and others.

Fran
25-Jun-10, 17:29
18 months probation, 240 hours community service and to repay the amount outstanding

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 17:33
If she went to jail, she wouldn't be able to pay the dosh back.

upolian
25-Jun-10, 17:34
Jail,when released pay it back,sounds fair to me.

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 18:09
Sounds fair to me too. Just hope she's able to cope with the community service part.

Now how about people in Wick who raise money for charity then hide it? Jail? Probation? Community Service?

WICKER10
26-Jun-10, 21:31
The Bold as Brass female Dog the Thief is had the Bold Front to take part in the Armed Forces March in Stornoway Today and then into the Legion for a drink with the Veterans .
The Veterans and Drinkers in the Legion were NOT Happy once they Knew who she was.
If i was her i would be keeping my Head well Down.

Gronnuck
26-Jun-10, 22:26
The woman has been tried convicted and sentenced. She's paid back more than half the money she stole and intends to pay back the rest. Report here (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1800448)

I understand some people will not be happy with the outcome, but the matter has been dealt with - time to move on. :roll:

. . . . . to take part in the Armed Forces March in Stornoway Today and then into the Legion for a drink with the Veterans

She's involved with the ACF, she would be expected to take part.

Jeeesss - some people won't be happy until she's had all her hair shorn and walked the street in sackcloth and ashes :eek:

shell1986
26-Jun-10, 22:43
she might be ma uncles girlfriend but it does not mean we have to have anything to do with her so kindly leave ma dad and jac out of it coz it has nothing to do with us or the shop we had

Blarney
26-Jun-10, 22:55
What worries me is, who she intends nicking the money from now in order to pay it back to the Gala committee. Some poor sucker in Stornoway is going to suffer.

pegasus
26-Jun-10, 22:57
Jeeesss - some people won't be happy until she's had all her hair shorn and walked the street in sackcloth and ashes :eek:

Good point, many who who have comitted much worse crimes hardly ever show any remorse. She seems to be genuine as far as this goes and should be lft alone now!

jacktar
27-Jun-10, 00:04
How on earth can you say she seems to be " Genuine" when she's NICKED this money, and does not have one once of remorse. She is a thief and as so should have been sent to prison. END OF.

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 00:24
Hey Jacktar, how many of your fellow townspeople have been found guilty of dealing drugs or beating people up? What's worse, nicking cash, selling crack cocaine to teenagers or pounding someone's head off a pavement?
And I don't see you complaining about the WADF cash, which seems to be missing in action - care to make a comment on what should happen there?

Aaldtimer
27-Jun-10, 03:40
[quote=Gronnuck;728198]She's involved with the ACF, she would be expected to take part.

Jings! I hope she's no their Treasurer!:eek:

Blarney
27-Jun-10, 10:43
[quote=Gronnuck;728198]She's involved with the ACF, she would be expected to take part.

Jings! I hope she's no their Treasurer!:eek:

I wouldn't like to bet against it Aaldtimer! She obviously infiltrates organisations to improve her credibility rating and then takes on the 'onerous duties' that no one else wants the hassle of.

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 11:30
Without wishing to reduce the serious nature of the guilt in this case, can I just point out that stealing money (even from a charity) is not as serious an offence as:
(a) Beating someone up
(b) Abusing a child or vulnerable person
(c) Dealing drugs
(d) Causing death by dangerous driving
You've had your rant about the thief - now start complaining about the OTHER, REAL low-lifes in your community!

watten69
27-Jun-10, 12:33
I just browse usually. My partner knows about the army cadets and says the folk in it are not happy that the lady who stole the cash is still in. Also she has been only a trainee for years and has not passed the tests to be in the cadets.

Gronnuck
27-Jun-10, 15:14
I just browse usually. My partner knows about the army cadets and says the folk in it are not happy that the lady who stole the cash is still in. Also she has been only a trainee for years and has not passed the tests to be in the cadets.

In that case the ACF has procedures in place to deal with her lack of training/commitment etc. Unfortunately I’m not privy to the internal politics of the Cadet unit to which she has attached herself but I can imagine there will be ‘issues’.
She will of course be subject to Disclosure Scotland vetting since she will be working with children so her past will become known and a risk assessment carried out.

pat
28-Jun-10, 17:29
Due to Karen Spruce appearance on the Armed Forces Day parade - at the end followed by the police car when I saw her, her presence and image is imprinted in peoples memories now.

By appearing on this parade she displayed herself to the people of Stornoway on the day they were wondering who this female was in the Press and Journal who now lived amongst them and had admitted embezzling £22,000, and been sentenced the day before.

Karen probably did not realise how many people were watching and taking it all in, to be repeated over their next ceileidh.

jac1791
28-Jun-10, 19:36
now the court case is all over maybe we can all find something else to debate on the org. I have been open minded during Karens case, i spent time at the very beginning asking karen all the same questions that everyone on the org was asking, it was not until she pleded guilty at court she told us her side of this terrible story. I still ask why no-one had asked to see the actual books -- if someone was always giving updates but not producing the goods i would have been asking why, same with the accountants yearly report -- didnt the committee hold AGM's where they would need to be viewed!! if anyone had actually stood up and spoke to Karen face to face instead of behind her back then you may have had the same view over the case as i did.... and have i ever been asked what my actual thought on the matter was..... well to be honest - thats private and only between myself and chip. oh and Shell1986 -- AND she is related to me - just a pity not by blood!!!

when Karen appeared at court on the 11th of June, I personally was verbally abused by so called vigilanty members of the gala committee - all because i told them they could all congregate at the court house door as long as they wanted by Karen would not be walking out past them. -- oh what a mouth load of total "DUNG" I was blasted by... actually it made my day -- and that of karen.

so who is getting torn apart next??? me for closing Poltney news -- Shell1986 for being my buisness partner and not chip miller? or some other poor sole!!!!

Droopy
28-Jun-10, 21:50
jac1791.....

All credit to you for posting on the org as yourself, (albeit to promote your former business) but loyalty/nepotism aside, I think most people have a less 'biased' attitude towards the convicted than yourself.

Look at it this way, lets say the amount pinched was £20k (under estimate) and the population of Wick is 10,000 (over estimate) that equates to £2 per Wicker, and lets presume the money was pinched over 3 years (again an over estimate, giving the convicted the benefit of the doubt in all 3 senarios).

How would you feel if someone came in to your former shop and pinched £18.26 from your till every day for 3 years?? (your a business woman so should know the maths) Would you be annoyed??

Also, whatever the reasons, (which you choose not to reveal) as to why she had to pinch the money, her actions in court of constantly dening any wrong doing is hardly the actions of someone genuinely at the end of an emotional/financial/suicidal tether. 99% of people who are afflicted by these symptons put thier hand up at the first opportunity as the relief of being caught is a saviour.

But the real gripe is the fact that she returns to Caithness every time in her 08 car to collect the rent from her house in Papigoe, that if she had any real remorse she would sell........but obviously she has no scruples/dignity/honour/respect..........enough said.

Mr P Cannop
28-Jun-10, 22:01
i think this thred be closed now

Blarney
28-Jun-10, 22:09
now the court case is all over maybe we can all find something else to debate on the org. I have been open minded during Karens case, i spent time at the very beginning asking karen all the same questions that everyone on the org was asking, it was not until she pleded guilty at court she told us her side of this terrible story. I still ask why no-one had asked to see the actual books -- if someone was always giving updates but not producing the goods i would have been asking why, same with the accountants yearly report -- didnt the committee hold AGM's where they would need to be viewed!! if anyone had actually stood up and spoke to Karen face to face instead of behind her back then you may have had the same view over the case as i did.... and have i ever been asked what my actual thought on the matter was..... well to be honest - thats private and only between myself and chip. oh and Shell1986 -- AND she is related to me - just a pity not by blood!!!

when Karen appeared at court on the 11th of June, I personally was verbally abused by so called vigilanty members of the gala committee - all because i told them they could all congregate at the court house door as long as they wanted by Karen would not be walking out past them. -- oh what a mouth load of total "DUNG" I was blasted by... actually it made my day -- and that of karen.

so who is getting torn apart next??? me for closing Poltney news -- Shell1986 for being my buisness partner and not chip miller? or some other poor sole!!!!
You set yourself up for it every time. You are supporting a thief and people are aware of this and giving you a hard time. Why are you involving yourself in all this and spouting on the org when you know that she's guilty? Haven't you ever heard of dignified silence?

WICKER10
28-Jun-10, 22:11
i think this thred be closed now

No need for this to be Closed as there is alot more to be said on this matter.
Things are going on in the Western Isles today that would be of interest to people here in Caithness as it was our money the THIEF took.
By the Way still No Comment from the Gala commitee now the case is over.

WICKER10
28-Jun-10, 22:39

AS YOU mentioned Poltney news are people who Paid you in advance going to get there Money Back ?
my Husband paid three weeks in advance then you close shop

jac1791
29-Jun-10, 00:33
Ok --- 1st -- Why would i not post as myself?? i have nothing to hide -- and i was a member of the org. long before I opened poltney news so i wasnt trying to promote my business

2nd -- my views have not been out of loyalty to karen, shows you dont know me -- i go with what i believe in not what i think others want to hear

3rd -- if someone was taking money from my busines i sure as hell would have noticed long before 3 years !!!

AND FINALLY::::

all people that had paid for papers in advance at POLTNEY NEWS have been paid back, if you could pm me or contact me personally by phone if you have not been refunded i appologise and will rectify this straight away.

lhm
29-Jun-10, 07:33
If the commitee that was running and handling our money properly their should have been no opertunity for her to manage to steal anything so i think they need to look at how they handle and manage things.

Tubthumper
29-Jun-10, 07:33
Why would they do that? Much easier to lump all the blame elsewhere.:D

squidge
29-Jun-10, 08:58
People make mistakes,they get themselves into situations and make the wrong decisions when trying to get out of the situation they find themselves in, they do stupid callous and thoughtless things. Greed gets the better of them and they succumb to the baser instincts that we all usually manage to keep control of. AS for not admitting the seriousness of what they have done - well she wont be the first person that tries to completely ignore their guilt and the seriousness of their actions. As long as we can ignore it we dont have to face that we are not the people we thought we were.

I understand the anger that people feel - i would rather throw money down a grid than have someone steal it but the viciousness on this thread rather astonishes me. Its usually reserved for paedophiles and child murderers and whatever this woman has done - it isnt that. What on earth is it coming to when people feel the need to verbally abuse others in the street. Especially when that person is not the criminal????

This woman has moved away and has started to pay back the money she has stolen. Thats more than happens to a lot of people that have lost money. Why cant you all start to move on? What is it about this particular crime that has some of you calling for capital punishment to be brought back? Seems we need to get a bit of perspective

jac1791
29-Jun-10, 17:37
WELL SAID Squidge, Tubthumper and ihm. i really should name and shame the so called committee members that had a go at me but I wouldt give them the satistaction of seeing their names in print ...

WICKER10
29-Jun-10, 18:10
WELL SAID Squidge, Tubthumper and ihm. i really should name and shame the so called committee members that had a go at me but I wouldt give them the satistaction of seeing their names in print ...

I dont think writing there names on here will do anything of any benefit.I agree there was NO need to make comment to you but you have made some strong comments on here about KS hence this is may be why they had a go at you
They were Just at Court like any member of the Public can do at any case to Hear what happened to someone who Pulled the wool over there eyes and Robbed the People of this Town of money given on Gala Night for the Benefit of the Town.
If you were so upset at this Why did you not report it as all the Courthouse is covered with CCTV with sound.