PDA

View Full Version : Wick

BillyEspie
16-May-10, 02:43
Hey **EVERYONE** if you could change wick what would you change about it???

Boozeburglar
16-May-10, 02:57
I would start with a capital W.

;)

BillyEspie
16-May-10, 03:15
ha ha ha BB that sounds like my kind of idea start there mate

ducati
16-May-10, 07:32
Move it about 300 miles south [lol]

scorpion
16-May-10, 08:15
My neighbours

Lavenderblue2
16-May-10, 09:49
I would clean up Bridge Street.

First start by getting all of the weeds growing on the roofs - they look really awful.

Then clean all of the stone work on the buildings and pavements, give the shop doors etc a fresh coat of paint.

The boarded up shops would be given some sympathetic street art - like Banksy.

Best of all, bring back the old shops which have long since gone....

Amy-Winehouse
16-May-10, 11:01
I would clean up Bridge Street.

First start by getting all of the weeds growing on the roofs - they look really awful.

Then clean all of the stone work on the buildings and pavements, give the shop doors etc a fresh coat of paint.

The boarded up shops would be given some sympathetic street art - like Banksy.

Best of all, bring back the old shops which have long since gone....

And charge their old prices too :cool:

Id merge Wick with Thurso & move it 1o4 miles south , rename it Wick & see if we would then get all the benefits that that lot in the "city" across the kessock bridge seem to get. If not we could merge with Invernational & rename it Wick & see what happens- How bad is my imagination today [lol]

katarina
16-May-10, 12:55
I wouldn't move it. Part of the appeal is being far from the maddening crowd so to speak. but I definately agree with lavenderblue. It could be a lovely little town with a bit of effort. I know money is short, but shop owners could take a bit more pride in their property, I mean they wouldn't let their houses look so run down on the outside.

Gronnuck
16-May-10, 17:11
I would encourage Weekers to take a bit more pride in their town. :confused The first experience any visitor has of Wick is as they enter the town from the South. South Road and Francis Street are a bloomin’ disgrace and people should be lobbying their Community Council, Highland Council, their MSP as well as their MP to get something done. :eek: How the cowboy contractors got away with leaving the road the way they did is unbelievable!

I would install a commemorative blue plate on the roundabout at the end of Bridge Street for never in the field of motoring endeavour has so many drivers been confused by the actions of so few. ;)

Invisible
16-May-10, 17:38
I would start with a capital W.

;)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!:lol:

floyed
16-May-10, 18:06
Everything..........:eek: LOL

viking
16-May-10, 18:30
The road to Thurso is definitely the best part of Wick (!) but joking apart, the people are lovely but there don't seem to be many good jobs and I don't think it's a lack of trying on the local enterprise's part. We are slowly coming out of a recession so I hope things pick up. Even the airport is in a dodgy way according to the local press. Bridge Street is dire as we are all moving to out of town locations where there is ample parking and a wide choice. No wonder local retailers could not compete.

porshiepoo
16-May-10, 19:05
What would I change about Wick?
Well that would depend on whether I want to encourage an increase in population or not.
If I like it as it is with clear roads, free parking, no tail backs, clean air and plenty of room in Tescos then I'd change nothing.

On the other hand it could do with the town centre (such as it is) being completely over hauled and traders encouraged. Many of the derelict buildings are an eyesore and need tidying at least, the roads need complete reparation and it would be lovely to see the odd beer garden or even a Brewers Fayre.
However, if all that came at the expense of increased population, fumes, traffic, car parking charges and elbow room only in the supermarkets would it be worth it?
For me the answer is a huge No. I've moved from a town that "developed" at an alarming rate and I can honestly say that the novelty of a few extra shops soon wore off and then we were left with all the negative aspects.

Wick isn't the smartest town in the UK granted, but it has character, the people are friendly and it still holds on to that small town authenticity that is quite charming.
Maybe I can afford that view as I don't have to live there but it's just my opinion all the same.

bagpuss
17-May-10, 21:28
Wick could do worse than follow the example of Dornoch, Tain and Elgin- all of which have gone upmarket- with shops that cater to the well heeled rather than a parade of charity shops, pound shops, bookies and takeaways. Dornoch has collectable stores-not charity shops, and the main street is a jewel

Yes Bridge Street isn't pretty- and the people who try their best on High Street have eyesores on their doorsteps (I noticed this last visit north)

The endless rat run from Homebase to Tesco, with a refuelling stop at Wetherspoons is the first clue to what's wrong. Everyone waited with bated breath for those shiny 'new' shops- but they're not upmarket- and for every job created, one has gone from the town centre.

katarina
18-May-10, 18:44
Okay, where's the people with the money to create upmarket shops in the town centre? Bring them on I say!

georgegwf
18-May-10, 20:25
A direct nuclear strike :Razz only joking Week is no bad apart from the town center and that horrific road upto homebase it is like driving down a farm track it is some welcome for a tourist entering the town ...............

Rictina
18-May-10, 20:37
I dont think that I have ever been to Wick [lol]

catran
18-May-10, 20:47
Okay, where's the people with the money to create upmarket shops in the town centre? Bring them on I say!

You must be one of the few afluent ones about town if you want up market shops cause my folks just could not afford to even go in the door of an upmarket shop such as the Jail in Dornoch and the one in the square at Brora. McAllans will do me fine for my jeans and socks. and the other half can go to Matalan.

Aaldtimer
18-May-10, 21:06
Here's an idea from over the pond!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8688603.stm :)

Amy-Winehouse
18-May-10, 23:31
I dont think that I have ever been to Wick [lol]

Why not ???

achingale
19-May-10, 10:37
I would sort all the pot holes first! Although I have been to places which are worse on that front. Bring Asda in, make fuel £1 cheaper per litre and have more events in the market square. get rid of tatty buildings and replace them with traditional ones that actually fit in with the town's character, and bring back teh herring industry so we would have zero unemployment!!:lol:

girnigoe
19-May-10, 14:55
I would sort all the pot holes first! Although I have been to places which are worse on that front. Bring Asda in, make fuel £1 cheaper per litre and have more events in the market square. get rid of tatty buildings and replace them with traditional ones that actually fit in with the town's character, and bring back teh herring industry so we would have zero unemployment!!:lol:

Here Here! Couldnt have said it better myself... Well only maybe getting rid of the rumour mill.... It works overtime in Wick ;)