PDA

View Full Version : St John's (Friday)

the_count
15-May-10, 17:29
Dived up for a quick look-see and glad i went lol birds spotted were goldfinch, chaffinch, starling, buzzard, kestral, willow warbler, house and hedge sparrow, sedge warbler, sparrow hawk, blackheaded and common gull, arctic tern, shoveller duck, wigeon, mallard, tufted duck, little grebe, heron, lapwing, redshank, oyster catcher, pheasant,and although i didn't see it, heard my first cuckoo of the year :D

nemosia
21-May-10, 19:40
The new fence seems to be making a difference, fingers crossed for a successful season. Here's a couple of shots from the hide.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/nemosia/Caithness/20100520-AE-01.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/nemosia/Caithness/20100520-BH-01.jpg

highland red
21-May-10, 21:20
Dived up for a quick look-see and glad i went lol birds spotted were goldfinch, chaffinch, starling, buzzard, kestral, willow warbler, house and hedge sparrow, sedge warbler, sparrow hawk, blackheaded and common gull, arctic tern, shoveller duck, wigeon, mallard, tufted duck, little grebe, heron, lapwing, redshank, oyster catcher, pheasant,and although i didn't see it, heard my first cuckoo of the year :D

We had a quick look in on Wednesday and it was perhaps the quietest we'd seen it for a while. Bumped into a tour of "twitchers from all over the place (France included), and they were pretty impressed with the anti - predator measures.

We were only there for a short while, so it was probably us and not the birds!!:roll:

kas
26-May-10, 22:01
I would advise anyone who can get up early (or stay up late) to go here at First light as the place is alive with activity.

Having done this recently I was amazed at how different a place it is in the early hours compared to during the day, but its no good for photography as you are looking into the light.

donnick
27-May-10, 10:10
hello i live in Dunnet and am not surprised that ur seeing all these birds i feel very lucky to live in such beautiful surrounding's .i have a stable at st johns and one day on arriving at the stable i i saw a buzzard in my stable ( in the summer i leave the top door open for the swallows nesting in the stable )i ducked down as it was heading for the exit open top door it had a seagull nearly stripped down but as i has disturbed it it flew off but on returning the next day at same time he was back again and this time had totally stripped the seagull not a bit of flesh was left was delighted that he return and happy that he clean up all his mess apart from feathers......great pic by the way