PDA

View Full Version : Fat Chance!

Commore
14-May-10, 18:45
Lawyers being urged to work for free;http://breakingnews.heraldscotland.com/breaking-news/?mode=article&site=et&id=N0010891273833190453A

My opinion after I was robbed blind by a well known & highly respected in their field law firm, is fat chance.

I think it is a good idea, but from a purely personal point of view cannot in all honesty say, that I can see very many lawyers jumping at the chance to work for free.

What do you think?

Anfield
14-May-10, 18:57
As someone else who has been ripped off by a shyster solicitor I would say that "there is no such thing as a free lunch". Somewhere along the line these parasite solicitors will get their money back.

But maybe Ms Angiolini can start the ball rolling by offering her services pro bono for Hollie Greig and her family
http://holliegreig.info/

I won't hold my breath

brandy
14-May-10, 19:22
saying that.. there are a lot of lawyers in the world that does pro bono work.

series2A
14-May-10, 19:42
A solictor work for nothing thats like asking a dentist to take on NHS patients.

Anfield
14-May-10, 19:50

The World yes, up here, no.
One place where you can obtain free advice is:
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

Commore
14-May-10, 19:53
As someone else who has been ripped off by a shyster solicitor I would say that "there is no such thing as a free lunch". Somewhere along the line these parasite solicitors will get their money back.

But maybe Ms Angiolini can start the ball rolling by offering her services pro bono for Hollie Greig and her family
http://holliegreig.info/

I won't hold my breath

To be honest and all things considered I do believe Ms Angiolini to be the best person for her job,
I thought she's young and enthusiastic and she had a head on her shoulders in many respects, however, like so many other advocates, she does appear to have her head in the sand a bit.

The Hollie Greig case, would be a good place to start, there again there are so many good places to start, so many cases which have either been hushed or squashed / or where unjustice has taken precedence over justice.

Commore
14-May-10, 19:57

Not in Scotland.
No one can access legal advice / services without going through another service such as CAB.
The powers at be, have even poo poo-ed the idea of the MacKenzie Friends in courts of law.

http://petercherbi.blogspot.com/2010/05/mckenzie-friend-success-for-scotland-as.html

Commore
14-May-10, 20:00
A solictor work for nothing thats like asking a dentist to take on NHS patients.

Yes, I suppose so, although some lawyers "profess" to open to "legal aid clients", however, in my experience, I don't know why they bothered, simply put, they rob their clients without so much as a contract in place, or any by your leave AND it's legal.

Boozeburglar
14-May-10, 23:33
Poop, there are lots of honest hard working people doing hard work for little pay on behalf of the innocent or otherwise. :)

Anfield
14-May-10, 23:48
Poop, there are lots of honest hard working people doing hard work for little pay on behalf of the innocent or otherwise. :)

"..lots of honest hard working.." we are talking about solicitors here, not the NHS medical staff

I am sure "there are lots of honest hard working people doing hard work for little pay on behalf... " , but would you like to point us in the direction of where we may find these legal philanthropists in Caithness & Sutherland?

theone
15-May-10, 02:18
What's the point of this thread?

Lawyers are bad?

Lawyers should work for free?

How many Joiners do you know that spend their time working for free? Painters? Plumbers?

I used to be involved in the Scouts and know of several times where all of the above professions helped us out. They did it because they had an interest in the club.

Good for them, but why should they be expected to "provide for the community" any more than someone who can walk down to the beach with a bin bag and pick up rubbish?

ducati
15-May-10, 06:48

Lawyers are bad?

How many Joiners do you know that spend their time working for free? Painters? Plumbers?

I used to be involved in the Scouts and know of several times where all of the above professions helped us out. They did it because they had an interest in the club.

Good for them, but why should they be expected to "provide for the community" any more than someone who can walk down to the beach with a bin bag and pick up rubbish?

Yes but Lawyers must be criticised because they are part of the establishment the illuminate, in the way that plumbers never can be :lol:

_Ju_
15-May-10, 07:15

The thing is that dentists that have NHS contracts are not working for nothing. They have very good pay. Just not that extremely good pay of private practice.

Commore
15-May-10, 10:04
"..lots of honest hard working.." we are talking about solicitors here, not the NHS medical staff

I am sure "there are lots of honest hard working people doing hard work for little pay on behalf... " , but would you like to point us in the direction of where we may find these legal philanthropists in Caithness & Sutherland?

Or Glasgow, Edinburgh in fact anywhere in Scotland?

Commore
15-May-10, 10:19

Lawyers are bad?

Well actually, now that you mention it, there are those that do and from every profession right across the boards, nurses, ministers, cooks, cleaners, electricians, plumbers etc, etc. Volunteers, volunteering worldwide and countrywide.
But no lawyers, no solicitors and few advocates.

The "point of this thread" is to simply gage the opinion of others,
like you.

Few people (unless they are citydwellers or live in England) can access the legal system, few can afford the first consultation with a legal eagle, and of those who do by some small miracle make past the lawyers cosy office and into court seldom if ever find that justice has been afforded them.

In my humble opinion and through experience, it is the lawyer who tells the best story to the court who wins the day and and the story does not necessarily have to be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth,

the door is then left ajar for the next court hearing, and the lawyer merrygoround continues to accumulate expenses,
all payable at the end of the day, whether or not the client is legally aided assisted or not.

Many people, too many people are turned down for legal aid,
where then can they turn, if not a lawyer / solicitor / advocate / willing to offer at least some small service for free,

I think, it's a good idea.

Errogie
15-May-10, 10:37
For almost 9,500 years from when the ice reteated up until approximately 500 years ago we survived without lawyers until the first one crept out from under some chief's kilt.

There wasn't a lot of business to be had at first until he suggested to one of his mates that he should advertise his services in the neighbourhood and soon there was plenty of work for both of them!
Unfortunately there are occasions when we need the services of a mechanic to fix the mess that settled society gets itself into.

Bring back nomadism!

achingale
15-May-10, 10:59
No chance! I do not think they will ever work for free. However it would be wonderful to be able to sell/buy a house and have no solicitors fees. We would all save a packet! That is the only time I have ever used a lawyer so far, and he was actually very, very good and explained things clearly. But I do not think it would be impossible to do the searches etc ourselves.

Andfield
15-May-10, 11:30
Many people, too many people are turned down for legal aid,

No problem getting legal aid if you are a Liebour politician caught with your hand in the till [lol]

ducati
15-May-10, 11:48
Or a scally suing the corpy [lol]

Commore
15-May-10, 17:49
No chance! I do not think they will ever work for free. However it would be wonderful to be able to sell/buy a house and have no solicitors fees. We would all save a packet! That is the only time I have ever used a lawyer so far, and he was actually very, very good and explained things clearly. But I do not think it would be impossible to do the searches etc ourselves.

Why not?
That is what the registers are for.
:D

Anfield
15-May-10, 18:09

In England buying & selling houses without shyster solicitors is not that difficult (http://www.diyconveyance.co.uk/ )

But in Scotland......................

Onre thing that people tend to overlook is that more often or not it is not the actual solicitor that does work, usually they will employ a clerical person to do that, but you will end up paying the solicitors hourly rate and not the clerical rate of pay.

Online technology now make housebuying/selling searches so simple that even technophobes would be able to do one, but Scottish Solicitors would never ever give up that cash cow known as conveyancing