PDA

View Full Version : Real Story - The Hardinghams

mccaugm
09-Jun-06, 19:49
Did anyone watch the item about the Hardinghams baby trauma? The wife has a family history of Brittle Bone disease. One of their children was in casualty with a suspected fracture. Next thing they are accused of abuse and all of their 3 children are put through forced adoption. The couple have just had a new baby and it looks like the same thing may happen again.... I know there is no smoke without fire and that Social Workers have a hard job but this feels really wrong.[evil]

melted_wellie
09-Jun-06, 19:52
Did anyone watch the item about the Hardinghams baby trauma? The wife has a family history of Brittle Bone disease. One of their children was in casualty with a suspected fracture. Next thing they are accused of abuse and all of their 3 children are put through forced adoption. The couple have just had a new baby and it looks like the same thing may happen again.... I know there is no smoke without fire and that Social Workers have a hard job but this feels really wrong.[evil]Better safe than sorry. It always seems the social work can do no right.if they dont intervene and something happens then they are not doing their job,but on the otherhand when they do act they are being over zealous. They just cant win.

unicorn
09-Jun-06, 19:56
Was the child with the fracture tested for brittle bone disease,I missed that but?

mccaugm
10-Jun-06, 11:27
I don't think so....but all her children were adopted out via the Childrens courts. It appears that they are trying to overhaul the childrens courts system. Its you against the social workers....I am not anti social workers, far from it...but they do seem to have more power than is truly needed.:~(

scrapydoo
10-Jun-06, 11:33
I never seen the program but i have got to disagree with you about social workers having to much power. If you think of some cases where children have been harmed or even worse killed. The social workers just can't take that chance because like they say no one know what goes on behind closed doors.

changilass
10-Jun-06, 12:03
Social workers gather evidence for reviews and panels, it has to get past these stages before it is even taken to the family court. The family court can then tell them that not enough evidence has been amased and it has to go back to stage one.

Children are not taken away from parents without evidence, and to get to the stage of adoption can take years in some cases. The system at the moment is set up in such a way that it is the family unit that comes first rather than the individual childs needs.

Parents are given lots of opportunities to prove that they can their kids a reasonable upbringing, sometimes to the long term detriment of the child.

Mistakes are made in all walks of life, social workers, childrens panel members and family court officials are , after all only human.

However, I would rather see one child taken into care due to a mistake, rather than reading about a child that has been abused or worse, due to a child not being removed.

orkneylass
10-Jun-06, 12:30
I agree - caught the very end of the programme but my guess was that it was one sided. Have any of the 3 adopted children gone on to have unexplained bone breakages or did adoption miraculously cure them???? I don't believe that social workers take kids away without good reason.