PDA

View Full Version : Favourite spots to visit

Margaret M.
13-May-10, 18:50
What is your favourite spot to visit in Caithness or Sutherland? I never seem to go anywhere different when I come over and I'm looking for some scenic places to get to this year.

donnick
13-May-10, 18:56
mine is Dunnet Beach when no one else is about just me the 2 dogs and 3 miles of sands ahhh bliss

Gronnuck
13-May-10, 20:09
mine is Dunnet Beach when no one else is about just me the 2 dogs and 3 miles of sands ahhh bliss

OH and I love Dunnet Beach; a lovely walk in July and August between 4 and 5 in the morning, wonderful. We've also walked the length of the beach in early February with the wind blowing and the sea thrashing the shore fantastic!

dollycat
13-May-10, 20:23
When its a clear day and we feel like a change of scenery we go to Golspie and climb Ben Bhraggie(dont know it thats the correct spelling).
Bit of a climb but the end result is fab:)

NorthernValeting
13-May-10, 21:37
Thurso East

Dadie
13-May-10, 21:43
Loch More... nice walk round about the loch and if the weather is a bit horrible a track through the trees

Hoida
13-May-10, 22:16
Loch Hope is alovely run and if you feel energetic a wee climb up Ben hope:lol:

bagpuss
13-May-10, 22:48
Durness on a hot summer day- with hot chocolate at cocoa mountain- brill scenery

Dornoch- great shops and good food

Marine Hotel Brora

falls of Shin

The Strath road- wonderful scenery- and great chips at La Mirage

Nearer to home Yarrows; Camster and Whaligoe

David Banks
14-May-10, 00:05
The rock o' names on the Slates, just west of the Scarfskerry pier.

Being a sandstone-type rock face, the names erode away with time, and I wonder if it is still in use.

theone
14-May-10, 00:31
The view from the top of Ben Hope is fantastic. Well worth the climb.

I also love Strathy Beach on a sunny day.

ClachanHope
14-May-10, 10:16
Just get a map out, close your eyes and stick a pin in it. Then go there. Chances are it'll be a nice place if it's in Caithness or Sutherland.

ducati
14-May-10, 11:08
Just get a map out, close your eyes and stick a pin in it. Then go there. Chances are it'll be a nice place if it's in Caithness or Sutherland.

Unless the Map is on your knee-then you're going to A & E :Razz

Oh, a porm :eek:

riggerboy
14-May-10, 11:42
Unless the Map is on your knee-then you're going to A & E :Razz

Oh, a porm :eek:

funny for you that is funny
i feel you are like a rash, you grow on people after a time

apart from that i like to go to staxigoe harbour with a flask o tea abd a bbq nice mmmm

BIG BLUE
14-May-10, 12:59
whaligo steps....they really tire the kids out by time they run about at the bottom and then climb back up?

Invisible
14-May-10, 13:24
The pub .................................................. .........................................

RIR
14-May-10, 13:36
Sandwood Bay.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kinlochbervie/sandwoodbay/index.html

And the pub.

Ian.

oldmarine
14-May-10, 14:44
Just about anyplace in Northern Scotland. My return trip to Scotland with my family while touring most of the Northern part of Scotland got much acclaimation from my wife and daughters. It's a land of beautiful scenery and wonderful people.

Connor.
14-May-10, 17:33
@ BIG BLUE

Where about is Whaligoe Steps? I remember going there as a kid, but I can't for the life of me remember where it is...

Tugmistress
14-May-10, 18:39
@ BIG BLUE

Where about is Whaligoe Steps? I remember going there as a kid, but I can't for the life of me remember where it is...

not big blue, but here ya go -
Whaligoe is not signposted but it's not hard to find - It's is 7 miles south of Wick on the A99, it is the turning directly opposite the turning signposted to the Cairn of Get.
There is a small carparking area near the path that leads to the steps. Whaligoe is NOT suitable for the very young or anyone not steady on their feet. It is also NOT ADVISABLE to take pets with you.

taken from my website (http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=13)

John Little
14-May-10, 20:06
Walking to the end of Holborn Head and looking down into the abyss....hearing the roar.

Tinkerbell09
14-May-10, 21:23
My bf lives close to a wee river, you have to walk a path through the trees to get there, and its so peaceful and quiet and bonny! thats probs my favourite spot up here :)

Errogie
14-May-10, 22:25
Tom Weir memorably said that when you find somewhere special keep it to your self and don't tell me so you have to forget I mentioned Kervaig which is about as good as it gets!

Dog-eared
14-May-10, 22:27
Kervaig does not exist. It is a mythical place of great beauty. Shame....

Dog-eared
14-May-10, 23:12
All the above, and -
Peedie sands by Dwarwick
St Johns Point when the Merry Men O'Mey are happening
Scotlands Haven nearby there for peace,and seals
Any wee old harbour
The Brig O' Trams

Talmine
The beach below the Craggan at Melness
Loch Erriboll and limekilns
Strathy beach
Any beach near Kinlochbervie
The view from outside "Mackays London Stores " on the KLB road. Stunning.
Forsinard rspb Dhu Lochan trail, get there by train
The Glen Loth road, going from the coast towards Strath Halladale then up the strath.
Any hill or mountain but especially Foinaven, Arkle and Hope.

I'll be up all night if I carry on. As said before, stick a pin in the map and enjoy the trip.

Skifter
15-May-10, 08:10
There are so many wonderful places throughout the county. I really enjoy a walk up Dunbeath Strath but for a real treat you can't beat a day on Stroma.

Ricco
15-May-10, 09:28
One of my favourites used to be Forss. You can park near the estuary and then walk along to the sea. The water is so clear you can look down sheer rock faces and watch the fish swimming! Lovely and quiet.

ciderally
15-May-10, 19:00
Backies walk.....

honey
15-May-10, 21:02
Thurso East
agreed, there, or the mall heading up to the salmon pool...

Mother Bear
16-May-10, 15:09
The drive up to Dunnet Head , on a clear day did it for me recently....
As previously said, anywhere driving in and around Caithness and Sutherland you will come across some stunning views, and an abundance of natural beauty. I even love driving across the Causewaymire!..views are amazing, and imagining years ago horses and carts travelling along there, and I have recently read some interesting and humerous tales of that era.

stroma88
16-May-10, 15:25
There are so many wonderful places throughout the county. I really enjoy a walk up Dunbeath Strath but for a real treat you can't beat a day on Stroma.

how difficult is it to get to stroma these days? i remember going there when i was little on a wee boat. i would really like to go there the next time im home!

poppett
16-May-10, 15:39
As Northern Valeting suggests, "Thurso East". I have it as my homepage background. You can see it when you are over on Tuesday if you want NV, just remind me.

NorthernValeting
16-May-10, 19:06
I have a pic of it as my background aswell, its from a little bit down the track on the right I think someone told me it is a grave but not sure if it's true? Its of my mate surfing a wave there, amazing pic, it was used as the poster shot a few years ago for the first O'neill Highland Open

Margaret M.
18-May-10, 03:53
Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. I'll see how many I can get around on the next trip.

Kirdon
18-May-10, 12:02
Just visit your relatives as the best thing about caithness is the people.

macbreeza
18-May-10, 13:06
Reiss beach is my most favourite place in the whole world! Only coming from Caithness can you find the thought of going to the beach on a WARM day odd! :lol:

Margaret M.
18-May-10, 14:12
Just visit your relatives as the best thing about caithness is the people.

LOL, have you met my relatives? Oh wait, you have. :lol: Then surely you must understand why I'd rather take to the hills than visit some of them (just kidding). Actually, you'd make a great guide for my Caithness/Sutherland magical tour, I think I'll start being nice to you.