PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for Aneamia

teenybash
13-May-10, 10:46
My lovely old doggy is aneamic and already is on medication for her heart.
Can anyone recommend a good supplement to help with her aneamia.
She is fifteen and though a bit tired seems happy and content. thanks in advance.

Liz
13-May-10, 17:56
Aw I am so sorry that your lovely lady has anaemia. Do you know what has caused this?

I cannot think what remedies would help but will try to find out for you.

gunnlass
13-May-10, 21:21
Hi, I would recommend Dorwest herbs keepers mix, I have used it recently as a supplement for aneamia, it was powder form so easy to mix in their food, I hope this helps your dog too.

teenybash
13-May-10, 21:32
Aw I am so sorry that your lovely lady has anaemia. Do you know what has caused this?

I cannot think what remedies would help but will try to find out for you.

She has a huge heart murmur which is being treated and developed skin probs all of which are responding to vet treatment. She is a faddy eater and sometimes needs to be coaxed.....I think it's all the march of time and all I want is to keep her happy and comfortable.

Hi, I would recommend Dorwest herbs keepers mix, I have used it recently as a supplement for aneamia, it was powder form so easy to mix in their food, I hope this helps your dog too.

I will try her on your suggestion....thanks

Liz
14-May-10, 13:14
Aw poor lady but she is lucky to have you looking after her so well.

I know what it's like as my 19 year old cat Charly has a heart murmur. I got a remedy for him from my homeopath and he is doing well.

The Keepers Mix suggested by Gunnlass is really good. Dorwest Herbs products are brilliant.

This might help coax her to eat a wee bit more? http://www.veggiepets.com/acatalog/supplements.html

Love and hugs to your elderly lady. xxx

Jenni
15-May-10, 01:02
I wonder if you could feed your dog liver. I know it's very good for humans who are anaemic but don't know if it would have the same effect for dogs. Also you would have to bear in mind that it may upset her stomach.

ducati
15-May-10, 07:12
Presumably you've tried asking the Vet, before putting the problem out to the 'experts' here ?

Liz
15-May-10, 11:57
Presumably you've tried asking the Vet, before putting the problem out to the 'experts' here ?

No one proclaims to be an 'expert' but it is pretty obvious, if you read Teenybash' post, that she has taken her dog to the Vet!

It is really good to talk to people who may have experienced the same problems with their pets and found something which helps. Also, many of us prefer to use natural remedies.

Is that okay with you?:confused

teenybash
15-May-10, 16:00

Thank you for your comment and obvious concern, but my lovely old lady is under excellent veterinary care, medication and checks....it is always good to seek out those who have had similar experience and listen to their advice.

ducati
15-May-10, 16:34
I am a dog lover. My 10 year old collie had to have her spleen removed 12 months ago so I know about anaemic dogs. The vets advice was lots of rest and very little exercise for a period of about six weeks. She has made a full recovery and you would not know she was at deaths door 12 months ago.

I am always concerned when people subject their pets to untried or tested remedies. Probably do no harm, but if you want to experiment with fringe medicine don't do it on your pet. And certainly not instead of veterinary care. :)

ducati
15-May-10, 17:29
No one proclaims to be an 'expert' but it is pretty obvious, if you read Teenybash' post, that she has taken her dog to the Vet!

It is really good to talk to people who may have experienced the same problems with their pets and found something which helps. Also, many of us prefer to use natural remedies.

Is that okay with you?:confused

Look, I'm sorry the tone of my post was a bit dismissive, but I have good reason to be concerned about people who think they know better than the Vet. I don't agree with the use of alternative mumbo jumbo because time and again they are proved at best ineffective at worst very harmful. Recent reports concerning Chinese herbal remedies are a case in point.

I realise that a lot of people in this area feel they are very spiritual and I respect that. But not to put to negative a spin on things, very few Christian Scientists survive Appendicitis. :eek:

teenybash
15-May-10, 17:36
I am a dog lover. My 10 year old collie had to have her spleen removed 12 months ago so I know about anaemic dogs. The vets advice was lots of rest and very little exercise for a period of about six weeks. She has made a full recovery and you would not know she was at deaths door 12 months ago.

I am always concerned when people subject their pets to untried or tested remedies. Probably do no harm, but if you want to experiment with fringe medicine don't do it on your pet. And certainly not instead of veterinary care. :)

Nice to hear your collie came through and back to health and I would agree vets advice should always be priority for a much loved pet.
Using a dietry supplement does not constitute 'experimenting' but rather enhances or supports treatments already in place. Hope your collie continues to thrive and enjoy live. Thanks:)

Liz
15-May-10, 17:50
Look, I'm sorry the tone of my post was a bit dismissive, but I have good reason to be concerned about people who think they know better than the Vet. I don't agree with the use of alternative mumbo jumbo because time and again they are proved at best ineffective at worst very harmful. Recent reports concerning Chinese herbal remedies are a case in point.

I realise that a lot of people in this area feel they are very spiritual and I respect that. But not to put to negative a spin on things, very few Christian Scientists survive Appendicitis. :eek:

No one on Pets Corner has ever advocated using natural remedies etc instead of veterinary treatment or said they 'know better'.
You are entitled to your opinion re 'alternative mumbo jumbo' but my experience shows that 'complementary' therapy works.

My 19 year old cat is under excellent veterinary care for his heart murmur but I also know he is doing so well because of the homeopathic remedies, vitamins, diet etc I give him along with this.

Also, he had a tummy upset a few days ago and, as he gets really stressed going to the vet, I gave him homeopathic remedies along with a probiotic and slippery elm and he is now fine.

Our pets are subject to so many chemicals such as vaccines, wormers and flea treatments which can't be good for them so if a natural remedy which works is found then this is good.

There are quite a few veterinary surgeons who use natural remedies

I'm glad your dog is okay.:D