PDA

View Full Version : Big shed at Bower (N.E.S.)

ducati
13-May-10, 08:44
I know there was a lot of publicity and discussion about this before I joined the org. I was wondering if anyone knows what it's for? I pass by every day and there seems very little activity and judging by the car park there can't be more than 20 or 30 people employed there. :confused

badger
13-May-10, 14:34
Looks like a white elephant as driving past it always looks empty. Those huge doors must have been for something pretty big. Wonder who owns it now? Must be pretty galling for the rest of the village stuck with a huge eyesore you can see for miles and all for nothing. It's not on a hill like the t3 building but at least that is used.

Gronnuck
13-May-10, 16:11
I thought Norscot Homes stored their Flat-Packed houses in there ;)

concerned resident
13-May-10, 16:15
I think they built it with the hope of getting some work, building plant to generate power in the Pentland Firth, but after all the talk, of all the potential work it was going to bring to the County, the work went else where.

ducati
13-May-10, 17:38
I found the original Groat article.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3641/Nicolson_expansion_would_create_70_jobs.html

If you look at the computer generated image it looks remarkably like the finished article except the yard at the back is full of old containers and skips and looks like a tinkers yard, there is a huge ugly slag heap on the Castletown side and there is a skeleton of one of the smaller sheds that was never finished-Nice :eek:

Tubthumper
13-May-10, 18:10
I think they built it with the hope of getting some work, building plant to generate power in the Pentland Firth, but after all the talk, of all the potential work it was going to bring to the County, the work went else where.
I wonder why the work went elsewhere. Perhaps we are not yet desparate enough for it, although we certainly seem to have the skills and experience.
I wonder if it's because the rest of the UK sees us as inward-looking, small-minded, scornful of progress, quick to criticise and slow to react to change?

summer
13-May-10, 19:13

Where did the work go?

I'd of thought with the sea bed leases only being awarded this year the work would still be ongoing?

ducati
14-May-10, 06:38
Where did the work go?

I'd of thought with the sea bed leases only being awarded this year the work would still be ongoing?

Still in process for the 1st project in the inner sound

http://www.newenergyfocus.com/do/ecco/view_item?listid=1&listcatid=148&listitemid=3787&section=Hydro%20%26%20Marine

Deadline for pre-qualification 28 May

concerned resident
14-May-10, 08:05
Where did the work go?
I believe most went to Orkney and other companies down south.
I have a property in Caithness, Two years ago a company which developes leisure cars, were interested in moving up here, they were looking at about ten staff, and in about a year 30 more on a production line, I gave them Case telephone number as i thought they would help,
I actually went in and spoke to them myself, and was told there were not people in caithness to go on a assembly production line, i replied what about Norfrost. They did not want to know. Big mistake giving CASE number, Funny the company changed there mind on starting a Scottish Company in Caithness.

Tubthumper
14-May-10, 12:59
Pardon my ignorance, but what are 'Leisure Cars?'
It's a shame thyour business proposal wasn't supported by CASE. Where did your friends actually end up setting up their factory?

concerned resident
14-May-10, 14:10
Tubthumper
The Leisure vehicles were like the old mini mokes, but of modern design and four wheel drive for of road use if required, and they were to be exported abroad for the market there. They were not my friends, but they were very nice businessmen. I know the property they were pleased with, as for what CASE told me, if they told these businessmen the same, that they would not be able to get a work force up here, i can under stand them going else where, down south they would offer you anything to get a new Business started in there area, and give local employment.

buggyracer
14-May-10, 14:37

im sure there will be plenty of work in time, the sea bed leases are still on-going, so not many companys will be building turbines etc if they dont have anywhere to put them :lol:

there is also a huge development park planned for Scrabster to support this industry and deepening and extending of the harbour and its quays to support the expected increase in activity :)

Tubthumper
16-May-10, 23:02
Tubthumper
The Leisure vehicles were like the old mini mokes, but of modern design and four wheel drive for of road use if required, and they were to be exported abroad for the market there. They were not my friends, but they were very nice businessmen. I know the property they were pleased with, as for what CASE told me, if they told these businessmen the same, that they would not be able to get a work force up here, i can under stand them going else where, down south they would offer you anything to get a new Business started in there area, and give local employment.
So where did they end up setting up? Based on the fact that there are already a number of 'leisure cars' on the market, and that most holiday destinations I've been to are already well-served with mokes, jeeps, Suzukis etc, I have doubts that a small concern employing 10 people up here far away from the already saturated market would be viable.
Having spoken to CASE on a few occasions, I found they were supportive of well-developed proposals with decent business plans. I can't see them dismissing your proposal based on 'no workers for a production line': there must have been more to it. perhaps you could elaborate a bit?

Mrs Bucket
17-May-10, 15:58
im sure there will be plenty of work in time, the sea bed leases are still on-going, so not many companys will be building turbines etc if they dont have anywhere to put them :lol:

there is also a huge development park planned for Scrabster to support this industry and deepening and extending of the harbour and its quays to support the expected increase in activity :)
So Nicholson engineering is all set and ready to go. I wish them well.