PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Brown retires from politics

stewart4364
13-May-10, 07:23
I think Gordon Brown is relieved and glad to be out of politics. After announcing he was standing down he went to Labour headquarters to thank his staff. I have never seen him happier, a genuine smile on his face rather than the very artificial one when in government -- he looked so relaxed and glad to have a burden lifted off his shoulders. I hope he enjoys his time outside politics with his wife and children away from the backstabbing an MP has to endure from opposition and his own party. Gordon had his good points as most people do but there were faults as well as most people have -- no one is perfect.

ducati
13-May-10, 08:36
About time too! He should take Mandelson with him :mad:

DeHaviLand
13-May-10, 09:41
I must have missed the announcement that Gordon Brown had retired from politics, I thought he was going to continue as an MP! Can you provide a link for your information please?

Gronnuck
13-May-10, 10:13
Not so long ago on Lorraine Kelly's morning program Gordon Brown said if he gave up politics he would want to work for charity. Call me a cynic but I'll believe it when I see it.

northener
13-May-10, 10:46
TBH, I don't think it would have mattered who was at the helm over the past couple of years. Regardless of personality or politics, they'd still be leaving Number 10 after the election.

Uncle Gordy was more business than politics. He never looked that comfortable when under fire and sometimes struggled to get his point across. Never a good thing in such a media sensitive position.

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 13:41
Not so long ago on Lorraine Kelly's morning program Gordon Brown said if he gave up politics he would want to work for charity. Call me a cynic but I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't see any reason to doubt him.

stewart4364
13-May-10, 13:49
I must have missed the announcement that Gordon Brown had retired from politics, I thought he was going to continue as an MP! Can you provide a link for your information please?

On the night Gordon Brown resigned as leader of the Labour Party he also announced that he was going to resign as an MP. This was from the horses mouth in Downing Street in front of all the press and television cameras.
I now believe from an announcement by his agent that he is now going to continue as an MP. It is obvious from this statement that he used to be indecisive but now he is not so sure.

Alan16
13-May-10, 15:26
TBH, I don't think it would have mattered who was at the helm over the past couple of years. Regardless of personality or politics, they'd still be leaving Number 10 after the election.

Agreed. Brown was just unlucky with his timing. For me, it seems like his heart has always been in the right place, and that's enough for me. Personally I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do.

ducati
13-May-10, 17:12
Not timing, incompetence.

For several years GB chaired the worldwide committee set up specifically to monitor the world financial structure to give warning of precisely the sort of problems we have now. The committee was set up after it very nearly happened in the 1990s. He was in a very good position to recognise the signs and he didn’t, or he ignored them.

When RBS met the gubberment to ask for a loan, to help with their 'cashflow' problem they were one day away from having no money in the cash machines! That is how poorly the banks were being monitored. :eek:

flowertot
13-May-10, 17:20
The night GB resigned as leader of the Labour Party he certainly did not say he was giving up as an MP as well. In fact I was just 10 minutes ago listening to him on the radio saying he was staying on as the MP for Kirkaldy

Andfield
13-May-10, 17:22
What matters is that the incompetent buffoon is finally gone :Razz

series2A
13-May-10, 18:05

A lot of politicians work for charitys, but....they get paid for it.

pegasus
13-May-10, 18:23
About time too! He should take Mandelson with him :mad:

Remember last year ole' Mandy wanted to ammend copyright law to crackdown on filesharing, his pal Murdoch would be happy about that? Just how does someone so dishonest manage to hold so much sway. Whoops, silly me, I'd forgotten he is a Lord, twice over I think. :mad:

oldmarine
14-May-10, 14:37
I think Gordon Brown is relieved and glad to be out of politics. After announcing he was standing down he went to Labour headquarters to thank his staff. I have never seen him happier, a genuine smile on his face rather than the very artificial one when in government -- he looked so relaxed and glad to have a burden lifted off his shoulders. I hope he enjoys his time outside politics with his wife and children away from the backstabbing an MP has to endure from opposition and his own party. Gordon had his good points as most people do but there were faults as well as most people have -- no one is perfect.

Politics - the worst profession in the free world. Darned if you do and darned if you don't. A person has to have thick skin to survive all the barbs that are thrown. Life is bound to get better for him. I have to agree with the comment - 'no one is perfect.'

The Pepsi Challenge
14-May-10, 15:16
Perhaps, like Bliar (sic), Brown will undergo a lucrative lecturing career. Or, maybe, sell secrets for top dollar, again, like Bliar. What's certain is he will make more money now than when he was in office.

Boozeburglar
14-May-10, 16:41
I don't see any reason to consider Brown a dishonest man. He is a man of principal; right or wrong.

Andfield
14-May-10, 18:13
Would a man of principal lie about immigration and crime statistics ?.:eek:

Boozeburglar
14-May-10, 19:14
Just exactly what lies were those?

Green_not_greed
14-May-10, 19:21
Perhaps, like Bliar (sic), Brown will undergo a lucrative lecturing career. Or, maybe, sell secrets for top dollar, again, like Bliar. What's certain is he will make more money now than when he was in office.

Yes - perhaps as a male model? The next Lord Adonnis? He made such a mess of things when he was chancellor and then again as PM I can't really see him selling himself as Bliar has done. After all, Teflon Tony was able to convince most folks that Brown was to blame for his (Bliar's) mistakes in office.

Green_not_greed
14-May-10, 19:25
I don't see any reason to consider Brown a dishonest man. He is a man of principal; right or wrong.

His principles to sell the UK gold reserves - when gold was at a rock bottom price - were obviously sound then? Just the sort of thing we needed to get us through a recession. Obviously he never thought we'd need them.

Even if he is shown to be "a man of principal" I think time will show that his judgement was poor and far too short-sighted.

bagpuss
14-May-10, 20:33
My goodness- we are bitchy bunnies.

Before GB took on the poisoned chalice of PM (after mr Blair had allowed Bush to ruin the world) he was offered chairmanship of the IMF and the World Bank. I wonder if in retrospect he has regrets over that?

if we look back on other political might have beens- had Mrs T remained at the helm until 1993 we might not have had the Iraq war or Afghanistan fiascos- she was more a man than any of them and she always finished a job. Think she'd have walked away and left Saddam Hussein in power? (oh yes and rmember who sold the WMD- wasn't it that nice soapy Aitken- perhaps GB will follow his lead and go into the church?)

You now have those nice clean cut young men- who will no doubt do lots of nice cutting

Enjoy