PDA

View Full Version : Swishing Night

Burnside
12-May-10, 22:49
PLAYDEN NURSERY PRESENTS

A SWISHING EVENING

At Royal British Legion
Saturday, 22 May, 2010 from 7pm

Entry By ticket-£5 (includes complimentary glass of wine on entry)

Looking to update your wardrobe or an outfit for a special occasion, without breaking the bank…

then Welcome to Swishing!

WHAT IS SWISHING – Ethical clothing swapping.

Swishing is shopping without the expense. You bring nice, clean, presentable clothes that are lurking unloved in your wardrobe, and other women fall in love with them and give them a good home.

AND you get to take away what you choose!

The “Rules of the Rail”:

1) Everyone must bring at least one item of quality clothing.
2) You will have half an hour to browse before the swish opens.
3) No item may be claimed before the swish opens.
4) As soon as the swish is declared open, everyone may take what they want.
5) Remember no scratching, spitting or fighting !!!!

Please contact Claire (896786), Kirsty (894812) or Tanya (895960) for details or to buy tickets.
Tickets also available at the door on the night.

Burnside
13-May-10, 12:22
This swishing night is a great way to do that and update your wardrobe with a new outfit for only £5.

cuddlepop
13-May-10, 13:28
That sounds a fantstic idea and lots of fun.

Hoida
13-May-10, 22:18
Brilliant idea and agood fund raiser:lol:

Burnside
14-May-10, 17:06
Glad to hear you think it is a good idea. I hope you will be coming along to it. Since it is the first one of its kind up here not really sure what kind of numbers of people we are going to get to it.

Also there will be some surprise donations from celebrities, so watch this space.

Dadie
14-May-10, 22:21
Sounds like a good idea and would love to go
but what to do with Euan?
Plus I havent got a clue what size I am now.... I would probably swap 1 ill fitting item for another:lol:
And the rules are bad a good catfight over a frock would liven the night up (I would be watching not partaking in the fight)

Burnside
15-May-10, 15:49
I do hope there wont be too many cat or dog fights.

Julia
15-May-10, 16:39
What a great idea, I'd like to come along if I can

Burnside
17-May-10, 08:06
Julia it would be great if you could come along and I think it would make the night even better if you had a group of friends to make it a real girlie night. Tickets can be got at the door on the night.

I had a phone call the other night because although we said the British Legion we didn't say which one. Sorry about that. It is the British Legion in Thurso.

Be delighted to see you there.

pauline79
17-May-10, 16:29
Ive got my ticket, taking my mum along too!! Its good to do something different on a Saturday night. Just need to raid the wardrobe now:D

Burnside
18-May-10, 15:57
Brilliant that you're coming Pauline and look forward to seeing you.

We wrote to some celebrities to see if they would donate an outfit and Anne McKevitt of changing room fame has donated a beautiful turquoise dress, pashmina and earrings (which have never been worn). The plan is to auction this on the evening. Won't be able to bid as unfortunately she is a size 8 which I definately am not.

Miss X
18-May-10, 22:50
This sounds like a great idea and good fun too! Will try to make it - got some nice things I could swish since I've lost some weight and need some new things for my wardrobe!!

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 22:53
This might sound daft - but is there likely to be any maternity wear on the swishing rails? Nice stuff I mean, not baggy sweat pants etc.:)

Dadie
18-May-10, 22:55
Are you looking for some maternity wear?
Size 12ish?
bog standard jeans etc...

Tubthumper
18-May-10, 23:01
I'm OK for jeans-type stuff, sort of looking for something a bit....nice? Feeling a bit... not so nice?

Dadie
18-May-10, 23:10
know the feeling...been there 3 times and never found something really nice:(

Burnside
20-May-10, 12:41
Yes there will be maternity wear. I know someone who said that they were having no more children so they were specifically going to take their maternity wear to it.

Even if you don't find something you like it may make you feel better just having a girlie night out. I'm sure you're bound to find something though as there will be people of all shapes and sizes at it. Also it won't be just clothes there will be shoes, bags, jewellery etc as well.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Tubthumper
20-May-10, 19:55
Shoes and bags? I'm SO swishing!!:)

horseman
20-May-10, 23:33
My wife is having an enermous sort out just now--wish we were a bit nearer to you.

Julia
20-May-10, 23:45
Myself and my friend are definitely coming along, looking forward to it too!

Burnside
21-May-10, 12:39
Looking forward to seeing you all there. I know that we have plenty of items for swapping, but just hope we get quite a few people through the door to make it worthwhile for the nursery. Its always the same when something is tried for the first time. But not long to wait now.

Burnside
21-May-10, 22:59
What have you been finding when you've been clearing out your wardrobe for the swishing night.
I found a pair of boots that I love. Khaki green prob 4in heel and lace up. I think most nights I go out I try them on but realise I cant walk in high heels any more so have decided to take them to the swishing night to put myself out of my misery. Also there is a pair of trousers that have only worn once or twice as I need 4in heels to be able to wear them so they may as well go too.

Lets hope there are some nice comfy shoes (but trendy) that I can find to replace the empty hole in my wardrobe.

Dadie
21-May-10, 23:05
*sigh*
most of my stuff is worn to death....
or is of the matalan/tesco variety of clothes.....
Too embarressed to air or offer for a swap...
The kids have nicer stuff than me these days:eek:
And no-one wants to go with me.....
dont want to go to anything by myself... :(

Burnside
21-May-10, 23:13
Nothing wrong with Matalan or Tesco. I remember someone asking me what I paid for a dress I was wearing on holiday and I think it was a tenner in Tesco's sale. Guess how chuffed I was when they thought it was by some famous designer as they thought they had seen it in a magazine. One of my best Tesco buys and definately not swapping that one.

Dadie
21-May-10, 23:16
Can I take the wee chiel .... if needed...
the girls will be ok with daddy... but Euan still needs mum....
might hamper my shopping/grabbing ability though:lol:

Burnside
21-May-10, 23:21
Think the wee chiel would get pretty bored and think you will need both hands and arms if you want to get in and grab the best outfits. How old is the wee chiel. You do feel guilty don't you when all they want is mum. Makes you feel good sometimes but can be a bind at others.

Dadie
21-May-10, 23:28
20 ish weeks.... whatever 1st jan works out as on the night!
boob monster is all I can say.....definately at evening time anyway....

Julia
22-May-10, 18:26
wish I'd read this yesterday so could have arranged for you (Dadie) to come with us!

Dadie
23-May-10, 00:13
Hope it was a good night....
everything went wrong tonight... and I couldnt go:(
Teething baby/dog being ill/toddlers not staying in bed...
and I was looking foreward to a night out as welll:(
even looked out a few items to take with me...nice stuff I got (before kids) and washed and ironed them.....
next time......hopefully.....
just got himself to bed..... calpol'd to max dosage!

Julia
23-May-10, 14:21
Went along and really enjoyed myself, came away with a few 'new' items of clothing, we had drinks, nibbles, an auction and a raffle, everthing was donated so all proceeds go to the playgroup. I think everbody thoroughly enjoyed themselves and there were loads of clothes to choose from, a successful evening for Playden Nursery.

Burnside
23-May-10, 21:59
Julia I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and thank you for coming. Was really nervous how it was going to turn out. Although there weren't masses of people there, those that came took a lot of clothes, I couldn't believe how much was there. I got a few nice outfits myself.

We made around £300 for the nursery which is amazing considering the number of people there so thank you again.

We have learned some lessons from it in that next time I think we will have a mirror there so people don't have to traipse off to the toilets. Also we were talking that we could do kids clothes at the next one. And yes we are planning to do another one since this was such a success and that we all got some lovely outfits for next to nothing. It just makes good sense (and good for the environment too!!). We thought we may have another one in August sometime so..........watch this space.

Dadie
23-May-10, 22:04
Glad there is another one being planned!
Hope I get to go next time...
Surely (all) the horrors cant play up next time.:lol:
I was looking forward to going too:(

Tubthumper
23-May-10, 22:10
How about doing a 'man' one as a fundraiser next time? Would a man-clothes & shoes exchange work? Or would something like a tool exchange or sports swap be better? For the blokes themselves, or for their OHs looking for pressies?
Just a thought.:D

Burnside
23-May-10, 22:32
Tis a thought but not sure if it would work. One don't know if men would be bothered about going to a clothes night and two don't know if women would be bothered if they couldn't get something for themselves at it. Or maybe its just me who is out for me me me.