PDA

View Full Version : Anal Glands in a lab

christina
12-May-10, 11:57
In January Rufus got his anal glands emptied as he was getting a bit of bother from them. Now 2 lots of antibiotics later he still has an infection. So tommorrow hes getting put under so they can flush them out, and if that doesnt work they are going to have to remove them. Just wondering if any ones dogs have had problems with their glands and got it sorted before surgery.

porshiepoo
12-May-10, 14:42
Ooooooo, smelly job! lol.
I had a Dane who's anal glands always needed emptying. The vet was more than happy to teach me how to do it so that I didn't have to keep going in to him. lol. Guess he didn't like the job.

Have you been given a reason why his glands need constant emptying? My dane had loose stools alot and so there wasn't the pressure needed to release the fluid each time he went for a schmoo. Hence a build up and some very smelly leaks.:eek:

Never had to have em flushed or removed though.
Be interesting to hear the outcome!

cat
12-May-10, 14:42
my old lab had loads of trouble with his and had to get them removed. no bother after that. he was always licking and the whole area would be sore and infected so the op was the only option and he was back to himself after a couple of days:)