PDA

View Full Version : David Cameron is PM/ Coalition (merged threads)

NickInTheNorth
11-May-10, 11:24
I think this quote from a comment piece by Evan Harris in the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/11/conservatives-lib-dems) gets to the heart of the matter

The bottom line for the Liberal Democrats is still economic stability. That means a choice between Alistair Darling and George Osborne, working with Vince Cable. Doesn't that settle it?

ducati
11-May-10, 11:32
Personaly I'm now (after initial optimism) completely disolutioned with Cleggy as a force of reason. I think the Libdems have shown their true colours and have done themselves no favours in the process.

I don't want to see the Torys getting into bed with them in any shape or form. My hope now is for an early election and I'm sure I am not alone :(

Andfield
11-May-10, 11:32
Don't you think there is a teensy weensy bit about power & position for the Limp Dems with "economic stability" and "the good of the country" coming way down the list in lost deposit territory.:confused

RecQuery
11-May-10, 11:46
I'm happy for them to get into bed with anyone provided electoral reform is on the table. Though I would like them to stick it to the Tories and go with Labour and the SNP etc.

The Tories said they would have a referendum on PR and campaign/vote against it. I'm fine with this the Lib Dems can just bring forth Tory legislation and campaign/vote against it. Same principle in my eyes.

Its funny to watch people argue against PR, trying to maintain their disproportionate power based. People in a democracy campaigning against more democracy. I love it.

EDIT: The BBC have a handy little page to show the seat count under different PR systems - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8644480.stm

NickInTheNorth
11-May-10, 12:06
I honestly believe that what the UK really needs is a fair electoral and political system. Under the STV system the BBC showed last night that given the votes cast last week the number of MP's would have been (from memory)

conservatives 247
labour 206
lib dems 172

Why is it fair that the actual result was so very different?

We all need to wake up to a new reality, there are three major political parties now in the UK, there is also a very firm majority of the electorate voting for the progressive parties 13 million to 10 million!

It is time for political dinosaurs to stop believing that only 2 parties have any right to form governments.

It is far better that this country moves out of the victorian era and into the 21st century. Consensus politics, where the parties work together to govern the country in the best interests of all the population, not just in the interests of their own supporters is the way of the future.

What would I like to see the parties do?

I would love to see the three major parties work together in the interests of the country taking guidance from the professional civil service and outside bodies to get through the current difficult economic situation.

Any chance? Not really, but it really is time we stopped swinging from one old idea to another.

Co-operation not confrontation

ducati
11-May-10, 12:09
PR is all well and good, I'm not sure whether I'm for or agin it. But what I am sure about is the country is in the worst mess ever, and PR was not a campaign issue of any importance. Now, suddenly, it is the all consuming issue. [disgust]

Boozeburglar
11-May-10, 12:17
In the worst mess ever????

Puleeeeeze!!!

Most folks homes are worth, in real terms, more hard cash than ever and we all have a hugely elevated qol and greater chances of surviving major medical issues than even 13 years ago.

If this is such a mess, give me more of it please!

:)

bekisman
11-May-10, 12:34
EDIT: The BBC have a handy little page to show the seat count under different PR systems - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8644480.stm

Libdems still minority party..

The Drunken Duck
11-May-10, 12:52
In the worst mess ever????

Puleeeeeze!!!

Most folks homes are worth, in real terms, more hard cash than ever and we all have a hugely elevated qol and greater chances of surviving major medical issues than even 13 years ago.

If this is such a mess, give me more of it please!

:)

Yeah we are fine .. :eek:

Greece owes 13% of its GDP as debt and is on its knees. We owe 11% of our GDP as debt. And we have a much bigger economy, which means a bigger crash. And yesterday the Chancellor ponied up 10 billion, at the behest of the REAL bosses in Brussels to prop up the Greeks !! .. I have a feeling we might need that back soon. Talk about the very definition of a toxic loan.

Meanwhile what is everyone talking about ?? .. Proportional Representation .. :confused

Seeing as I am debt free, own all my own gear and the only outgoings I have are related to my rented flat I am considering selling up and getting out of the UK for somewhere hot and cheap.

Anfield
11-May-10, 12:52
It is now all down to who will offer Clegg the best deal.

If Clegg joins a coalition with Cameron, then game over as they would have 363 seats

If however Clegg joins in with Labour, then they would have 315 seats as opposed to Cons, 306.
Lab/Lib would then have a majoity of 9, but still need an 11 "minority" MP's to obtain majority of 326
Conservatives would need 20 "minority" seats to take control

Therefore it could be down to the 28 other MPs from minority parties who decide who runs this country

Democratic Uniunist Party 8
Scottish Nation Party 6
Sinn Fein 5
Plaid Cymru 3
Solical Democratic & Labour Party 3
Alliance Party 1
Green Party 1
One seat still to be declared 1

ducati
11-May-10, 13:07
Nomination for PM

Bob, really experienced at losing elections and keeping hold of power

ducati
11-May-10, 13:08
It is now all down to who will offer Clegg the best deal.

If Clegg joins a coalition with Cameron, then game over as they would have 363 seats

If however Clegg joins in with Labour, then they would have 315 seats as opposed to Cons, 306.
Lab/Lib would then have a majoity of 9, but still need an 11 "minority" MP's to obtain majority of 326
Conservatives would need 20 "minority" seats to take control

Therefore it could be down to the 28 other MPs from minority parties who decide who runs this country

Democratic Uniunist Party 8
Scottish Nation Party 6
Sinn Fein 5
Plaid Cymru 3
Solical Democratic & Labour Party 3
Alliance Party 1
Green Party 1
One seat still to be declared 1

You can take out Sinn Fein cos they won't show up.

Anfield
11-May-10, 13:13
You can take out Sinn Fein cos they won't show up.

Look at TV when H.O.C. is on and it looks like most MP's don't show up

Leanne
11-May-10, 13:15
Really dumb question but how does having a coalition government have anything to do with a democracy. Surely the whole point of voting is the option to get someone out if we don't like their policies? A super-party would just be a dictatorship...

ducati
11-May-10, 13:19
I am considering selling up and getting out of the UK for somewhere hot and cheap.

And if you want somewhere you would be comfortable with the political landscape:

Zimbabwe :cool:

NickInTheNorth
11-May-10, 13:28
And if you want somewhere you would be comfortable with the political landscape:

Absolutely true, a state in which no other political voice is listened to ;)

Anfield
11-May-10, 14:41
Absolutely true, a state in which no other political voice is listened to ;)

Unlike this country where the state does not listen to anyone except Peter Mandelson

bekisman
11-May-10, 15:37
£20,000 ?!:eek:

Sheffield City Council's boss has given up his £20,000 returning officer fee after long queues stopped people voting at the general election.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8674891.stm

ducati
11-May-10, 15:43
Unlike this country where the state does not listen to anyone except Peter Mandelson

Wasn't Mandelson kicked out, twice, for being a crook? My memory isn't what it was. :confused

singysmum
11-May-10, 15:55
I think I might be a bit naive here but if the Conservatives received the most votes, shouldn't they be the party trying to make deals with the Lib Dems and the Labour party? All that seems to me to be happening at the moment is that Nick Clegg is playing one party against the other and with the lowest vote of the three parties he seems to be the one who is dictating how parliament will be run for the foreseeable future - can this be right? I'm sure some of you orgers can put me right here! :confused

bekisman
11-May-10, 15:58
BREAKING NEWS 15.58
Number 10 recognises that talks with the Lib Dems have not and will reach not any positive conclusion, and they are now discussing the method of declaring that their side of the negotiation is over, BBC Radio 5 Live's political correspondent Jon Pienaar says.

ducati
11-May-10, 15:58
I think I might be a bit naive here but if the Conservatives received the most votes, shouldn't they be the party trying to make deals with the Lib Dems and the Labour party? All that seems to me to be happening at the moment is that Nick Clegg is playing one party against the other and with the lowest vote of the three parties he seems to be the one who is dictating how parliament will be run for the foreseeable future - can this be right? I'm sure some of you orgers can put me right here! :confused

Nope. You've got it in one :cool:

bekisman
11-May-10, 16:16
Nick Robinson's seven signs it could now be all over:
• A senior Lib Dem who's sympathetic to Labour who just told me the deal couldn't be done.
• News that, at last night's Liberal Democrat parliamentary meeting, not one but all four party negotiators reported back their fear that Labour was not serious about negotiations and was, instead, turning its minds to the forthcoming leadership contest.
• The fact that Vince Cable, who's so far kept his counsel, told the same meeting that though he had roots in the Labour Party he too feared that there might be only one serious offer.
• Andy Burnham apparently joining David Blunkett, John Reid, Tom Harris et al in telling his party that they should accept they have lost.
• The resumption of talks between the Tories and the Lib Dems.
• The sight of Gordon Brown's allies heading to Downing Street perhaps for one last farewell.
• The clincher for many, though, will be the sight of John Prescott calling for something he spent years fighting against - an alliance with the Liberals.

ducati
11-May-10, 17:19
Luggage spotted at the back of No 10

I'll carry it :lol:

Kodiak
11-May-10, 17:57
Luggage spotted at the back of No 10

I'll carry it :lol:

That is correct and it was reported as eing equipment for the Police. [disgust]

bekisman
11-May-10, 18:38
That is correct and it was reported as eing equipment for the Police. [disgust]

BBC mentioned it was Darlings :confused

ducati
11-May-10, 18:40
BBC mentioned it was, Darlings.

Thanks for letting us know, chuck [lol]

The Drunken Duck
11-May-10, 18:47

Not an option.

Country gone bust, widespread electoral fraud, an unpopular Leader and a Big Brother state mentality.

Too much like Britian.

bekisman
11-May-10, 18:48
BBC mentioned it was, Darlings.

Thanks for letting us know, chuck [lol]

Very witty.. you'll be pleased to know that in 18 minutes from now, there will be an announcement to your liking ;)

The Oracle
11-May-10, 19:00
So we are all CONDem'ed now.

Will the CONservatives now turn on Scotland for being an (almost) Tory free zone?

Probably.

On the bright side, all of those CONservative supporters moving up from the South may now move back because Gordon's coming home :lol:.

sphinx
11-May-10, 19:04
BREAKING NEWS 15.58
Number 10 recognises that talks with the Lib Dems have not and will reach not any positive conclusion, and they are now discussing the method of declaring that their side of the negotiation is over, BBC Radio 5 Live's political correspondent Jon Pienaar says.
back to the good old days of poll tax and nhs cuts etc we the people are now going to suffer for the bankers mistakes

florence
11-May-10, 19:07
God help Scotland:~( Unless you've got a Range Rover to go with your estate and lots of little oiks to push around,.....you're stuffed.

By the same token, those lilly-livered, yellow "harlots" will also be royally stuffed by the Tories. Cameron must be rubbing his hands with glee..... Ooh, what a horrible thought. Maybe Mandy'll swap sides now:lol:

webmannie
11-May-10, 19:10
ooooh just about to find out!! moments away from no10 announcement

florence
11-May-10, 19:13
How embarrassing for that poor bobby who's been stuck in front of no 10 all day. You could see him trying to look busy all the time :lol:

Kodiak
11-May-10, 19:20
So Broon has announced he is going to resign.

ducati
11-May-10, 19:37
What a jolly nice man that Gordon Brown is. He should be Prime Minister :D

Sara Jevo
11-May-10, 19:38
Hopefully, Clegg and his pals will be a moderating influence on the right wing of the Tory Party and we'll be spared the return of the lunatic fringe.

bekisman
11-May-10, 19:38
Anyone else notice that chap in the crowd holding a placard; "9/11 Truth Now" - is 'he' down there? ;)

webmannie
11-May-10, 19:53
Quick somebody get in to No10, nobody is in charge just now!!

Anfield
11-May-10, 19:57
Quick somebody get in to No10, nobody is in charge just now!!

But will we notice any difference

Kodiak
11-May-10, 19:58
David Cameron, at 43, will become the youngest prime minister since Lord Liverpool in 1812

The Oracle
11-May-10, 20:07
On Channel 4 News it said one of the reasons Labour couldn't agree with the Lib Dems was that the Lib Dems wanted to accelerate Public spending cuts.

Any words of comfort for those folks about to loose their jobs from the CONservative supporters?

bekisman
11-May-10, 20:20
Any words of comfort for those folks about to loose their jobs from the CONservative supporters?

Hmm.. 'LABOUR' wasn't working: 2,500,000 unemployed?

The Oracle
11-May-10, 20:24
Hmm.. 'LABOUR' wasn't working: 2,500,000 unemployed?

..and the CONservatives will lower that, right?

bekisman
11-May-10, 20:29
Oh dear we get this every time, the ConSERVATIVES got the most votes, stop crying, get over it.
Two and half million! my God what a failure that was - no wonder 17,511,725 British people voted against brOWN..

brandy
11-May-10, 20:30
ok lets fortell the future!!! what do you think his first changes are going to be!?

bekisman
11-May-10, 20:32
ok lets fortell the future!!! what do you think his first changes are going to be!?

Opening all the congratulation cards.. :lol:

ShelleyCowie
11-May-10, 20:32

As much as they can [evil] grrrrrrrrr

The Oracle
11-May-10, 20:34
Oh dear we get this every time, the ConSERVATIVES got the most votes, stop crying, get over it.
Two and half million! my God what a failure that was - no wonder 17,511,725 British people voted against brOWN..

Hmmm, your ballot paper had a specific person to vote against?

Must have been one of those where you got to vote for a Prime Minister that all of the media have been telling us about?

Mine had neither.

But I suppose if you hear it often enough it must be true.

Kodiak
11-May-10, 20:35
The first thing he will do will be to make sure that all the sheets have been changed in 10 Downing Street.

bekisman
11-May-10, 20:40
Hmmm, your ballot paper had a specific person to vote against?

Must have been one of those where you got to vote for a Prime Minister that all of the media have been telling us about? Mine had neither.
But I suppose if you hear it often enough it must be true.

Eh, well mine gave names then the Party, if yours - as you say - did not have a name, then I'd kick up a stink if I was you.. somethings wrong somewhere :eek:

pegasus
11-May-10, 21:03
Somehow I doubt if he will keep Britain outside of the EU. I be surprised if he didn't go along with the EU'S strategy. He may come over as a Eurosceptic, but I don't buy it. Meanwhile the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. C'est la vie! :(

bekisman
11-May-10, 21:08
Somehow I doubt if he will keep Britain outside of the EU. I be surprised if he didn't go along with the EU'S strategy. He may come over as a Eurosceptic, but I don't buy it. Meanwhile the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. C'est la vie! :(

Hmm I thought we were already in the EU?

fingalmacool
11-May-10, 21:11
First words will be HOY!!!! get your nose out of my trough:confused
It's time to suckle from the beast until we are bloated?

The Oracle
11-May-10, 21:25
... get over it.

I'm lucky, in that while it will impact on me, the CONservative / Cameroon Coalition Goverment will not cost me my job.

But I hope that the additional unemployed that will be created as a result of their policies will be able to "get over it".

no wonder 17,511,725 British people voted against brOWN..

I presume you mean 17,511,725 didn't vote for Gordon. Is that the same thing? If you are not for something you must be against it?

mrlennie
11-May-10, 21:27

I thought the poor were going to get richer under the new government!!!;)

ducati
11-May-10, 21:28
Look, the simple fact is Brown allowed the bankers to piss away something like 80 Billion of your pounds. Not satisfied with that he then went on to do the same with another 50 billion in Quantative easing. How many of you have noticed that money doing anything?

He then lets the banks make huge losses and then pay their top execs. massive bonuses with guess what? your money.

How the hell can the Cons with the help of the Lib dems do any worse?

What is going to happen is that they will attempt to rectify the situation while some of you are still alive, instead of leaving the debt for your children like Brown wanted.

They have made very specific promises regarding the NHS and other key services which we can hold them to. There is going to be pain, that is unavoidable, and you would have got it with Brown too.

The Tories stand for less government interference, red tape and barriers to successful industry, which is fine by me.

Now are you going to whine for next four or five years or are you going to help get us out of this wholly avoidable mess we are in?

The Oracle
11-May-10, 21:31
They have made very specific promises regarding the NHS and other key services which we can hold them to.

How exactly can you do this within the life of a Government?

ducati
11-May-10, 21:35
How exactly can you do this within the life of a Government?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean?

The Oracle
11-May-10, 21:39
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean?

The Cons and Libs can do what ever they want and until the next election you can't do anything about it.

You can't hold them to anything now they are in power.

ducati
11-May-10, 21:40

How do the rich get richer and the poor get poorer?

It would actually be quite difficult to arrange for that to happen. It's time to stop trotting out the same old rhetoric.

ducati
11-May-10, 21:47
The Cons and Libs can do what ever they want and until the next election you can't do anything about it.

You can't hold them to anything now they are in power.

Well there has to be a certain amount of trust (same with any party) and don't forget you still will have a very effective opposition who I am sure will be very quick to point out any failure to deliver on their (joint now) manifestos.

The Oracle
11-May-10, 21:53
I'm old enough to remember what community and society was.

I lived through Heath, Thatcher, Major, Hague, etc. and remember what they did to our country. Although I do concede they were not all bad (Heath).

I believe that the selfish society we have today stems from Thatcher.

Remember her '..there is no such thing as Society' speech?

Cameron was telling us that there is such a thing as Society, well for a short time he did.

You are correct it all comes down to trust.

My experiences of the Cons, having lived in Scotland all of my life, has led me to distrust them.

Only time will tell who is right.

Perhaps we should bookmark this thread and revisit it in four years?

The Pepsi Challenge
11-May-10, 21:54
Viscount Thurso, another old Etonian, finally gets into bed with his fellow Etonians. With only one Tory seat in the whole of Scotland, well, it's even worse than 1979.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-May-10, 21:55
Thanks to all the Lib-Dems who sold out their voters to get into bed with the Tories. Suckers.

NickInTheNorth
11-May-10, 21:58
I wish the coalition government every success, I hope it proves to be the right recipe for the UK as a whole

piratelassie
11-May-10, 21:59
Well well, now that the Lib Dems are in bed with the Tories heaven help Scotland eh? Cant see this move doing them any favours come the Hollyrood elections.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-May-10, 21:59
I say, Boris, old bean, it's time to smash the oiks.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9158/2yytx5v.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/2yytx5v.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The Pepsi Challenge
11-May-10, 22:01
Could we just condense all the political threads into one, please?

Sara Jevo
11-May-10, 22:01
I hope Clegg can moderate the scarier bits of the Tory Party.

But I suspect you are right - Labour and SNP will pick off the Lib Dem vote in Scotland, now they've sided with the Tories.

It's probably not a bad election for Labour to lose - the next government is going to be soooooooooooooooooo unpopular!

Sara Jevo
11-May-10, 22:02
Pulling on a pair of Marigolds . . . before he picks up a very very dirty stick

ducati
11-May-10, 22:04

I lived through Heath, Thatcher, Major, Hague, etc. and remember what they did to our country. Although I do concede they were not all bad (Heath).

Cameron was telling us that there is such a thing as Society, well for a short time he did.

My experiences of the Cons, having lived in Scotland all of my life, has led me to distrust them.

Yes we should. I too lived through all those conservative governments and my perception is different. Perhaps change your signature?

The Pepsi Challenge
11-May-10, 22:04
The Tories prepare to smash the oiks.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9158/2yytx5v.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/2yytx5v.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The Oracle
11-May-10, 22:08
Perhaps change your signature?

Oh go on...can of worms...what would you suggest?

pegasus
11-May-10, 22:12
Hmm I thought we were already in the EU?

The UK still has its own currency.

pegasus
11-May-10, 22:14
How do the rich get richer and the poor get poorer?

It would actually be quite difficult to arrange for that to happen. It's time to stop trotting out the same old rhetoric.

Maybe you live on another planet than the rest of us.

:D

theone
11-May-10, 22:23
The UK still has its own currency.

And that won't be changing anytime soon.

dozy
11-May-10, 22:23
Caithness can now officially put up the CLOSED sign ,the Conservatives will drive in the nails .They will put the pin on Dounreay faster than Libs dropped thier trousers ....Roger and out .....
John Thurso must know that this will be the END for him in Caithness ....

ducati
11-May-10, 22:33
Caithness can now officially put up the CLOSED sign ,the Conservatives will drive in the nails .They will put the pin on Dounreay faster than Libs dropped thier trousers ....Roger and out .....
John Thurso must know that this will be the END for him in Caithness ....

Correct me if I am wrong, I understand Dounreay is on a scheduled decomissioning. Being overseen by the Nuclear Decomissioning Authority. You can't change the schedule. It takes a certain amount of time do all the stuff that needs doing. So what part of this would you like to blame on the Tories?

ducati
11-May-10, 22:34
Maybe you live on another planet than the rest of us.

:D

Be specific?

ducati
11-May-10, 22:36
Oh go on...can of worms...what would you suggest?

Just something a little more positive maybe? :D

ducati
11-May-10, 22:40

Just a thought, Weren't Blair/Brown in power for 13 years? Why didn't they fix it? I would suggest that if people wanted a different/better society/community they would create it.

This is the backbone of Conservative philosophy. Give the people the tools.

bagpuss
11-May-10, 22:43
Well for better or worse we have a tory in charge. As a chap he's not a bad un- my husband used to live next door to the Camerons and said they were great neighbours- really helpful and kind.

However keep in mind that - like John Thurso- he's an old Etonian and essentially belongs to the old school tie brigade. ie old boys stick together. So any chance of a Cabinet seat for the Caithness Etonian?

Sara Jevo
11-May-10, 22:45
Well for better or worse we have a tory in charge. As a chap he's not a bad un- my husband used to live next door to the Camerons and said they were great neighbours- really helpful and kind.

However keep in mind that - like John Thurso- he's an old Etonian and essentially belongs to the old school tie brigade. ie old boys stick together. So any chance of a Cabinet seat for the Caithness Etonian?

His grandad was in the last Liberal coalition government - Churchill's.

His grandad also served as Scottish Secretary in the 19s30 but resigned in some row over countries getting all protectionist during the depression.

I wonder what his electors think of it - vote for John Thurso and I'll install a Tory government? Hmmmmmmmm

bagpuss
11-May-10, 22:59
Certainly bears thinking about- Cameron is actually more of a Scot than he's happy letting on. His family came from Huntly but he keeps that one quiet. The trouble with public school is that it tends to take loyalty away from where one might expect it to belong- with nationality; family; shared interest. Those who come into power from the state system tend to find the commons a closed club- which even Teflon Tony as an old Fettesian had membership of. Labour (apart from Blair) bucked that trend for years. Many Tories were deeply suspicious of Thatcher and Major because they were the products of grammar schools.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

One other thought- now that no MP can really go to town on the expenses , will the job be done for its own sake rather than what one can make out of it?

In my part of London tonight there's lots of partying going on, which i don't feel quite up to joining in- Middle England has returned to its 'me me me' roots in the hope that Dave and Co will restore high property prices. however, if you look on Google and work out that osborne (not as nice a chap as dave) has never done a real day's work in his life, and that ken eurozone clarke wants us to join the Eurozone asap, I don't think that's really likely. Fire up the quattro- it'll be back to old clothes and porridge soon

catran
11-May-10, 23:03
Ducati I have lived through all these as well and as you say what has Blair/Brown fixed?????? I reckon only encouraged people to seek benefits

The NHS , Invalidity is abused and there are certainly loads of yummy mummys about.... all the single mothers who say cannot work as they have a child..........Of course they are better off not working and living on the tax payers. Yes there should be invalidity, yes there should be help to single mothers who have ended up not being able to get a job but the x lives around the corner in his council flat...and visits frequently.........it all should be checked upon on regular basis, under the labour government the system has been badly let down and it is unbelievable that people can go to John Thurso for help with their invalidity claims when all else fails. That is my rant as I have newly retired and still pay tax.

Anfield
11-May-10, 23:08

Because of scandals about to emerge about John Thurso, I would not expect him to be any where near the cabinet.

florence
11-May-10, 23:09
The Tories believe in a society that can help itself. If you can't help yourself, they're not interested in you and I personally, do not believe any of that guff he came out with about the frail, or the weak. His constituents will have enough money to help 'their' frail and weak, or send them somewhere where noone sees them, or pay for minions to look after them. Didn't Thatcher come out with some crack about "home is where you go when you've got nowhere else."

I think that the outgoing government made a lot of mistakes, particularly the Iraq war and I can't stand Mandy or Campbell but I think that a lot of the Labour and Liberal MP's believed in a just society and still do. I'm glad they've stepped back in an honourable fashion.

I do not believe that the Conservatives believe in a just society. They believe in a society where 'their kind' excel and plebs like us (well I can only count myself in that) serve their purpose.

That's it, I'm standing for election next time (mind you, could be next week the way things are going):D By the way, is it right that Gordy only took an MP's salary and didn't subscribe to the pension fund?

Hold tight, we're in for a bumpy ride :~( Check your jacket pockets before you leave.

telfordstar
11-May-10, 23:10
Because of scandals about to emerge about John Thurso, I would not expect him to be any where near the cabinet.

Oh now do tell?

Boozeburglar
11-May-10, 23:12
In my part of London tonight there's lots of partying going on, which i don't feel quite up to joining in- Middle England has returned to its 'me me me' roots in the hope that Dave and Co will restore high property prices.

A lot of those partying will be Lib Dem folkies as well.

Has your house really lost so much value lately? From my perspective values have climbed massively thanks to Gordon Brown over the last 13 years. That would include your neck of the woods. In real terms versus inflation and earnings, etc. I struggle to see how the prices could get higher. :)

ducati
11-May-10, 23:13
So things change. Here we are....about 200 people sitting around in comfort talking politics. :lol:

Boozeburglar
11-May-10, 23:13

If you have anything to say, out with it or just can it aye? Your smear campaign has been singularly unsuccesful, not to mention flipping boring.

florence
11-May-10, 23:14
Aye well, they'll be a few not sitting so comfortably when they lose their tax credits....like me[evil]

ducati
11-May-10, 23:21
Aye well, they'll be a few not sitting so comfortably when they lose their tax credits....like me[evil]

There is the proposed new threshhold http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6175460.ece

Seems fair enough to me :eek:

florence
11-May-10, 23:35
Oh my God. I cannot believe you have the audacity to post quotes from that fascist.[evil]

And yes, cutting tax credits at that level seems entirely reasonable.............if you believe that that's what they'll actually do. It's a little known fact but I'll risk sharing it with you since I'm sure there's noone listening Ducati, that politicians don't stick to their manifestos....

I know, you're shocked but take a deep breathe and think of .......England because that's all Monsieur Cameron is going to be thinking about (Jerusalem plays resoundingly in the background).

ducati
11-May-10, 23:40
Florence,

“When the age of austerity means that we must focus on the real priorities can we honestly say it’s right for people earning over £50,000 a year to get state benefits in the form of tax credits?”

What did you read? :confused

florence
11-May-10, 23:48
Florence,

“When the age of austerity means that we must focus on the real priorities can we honestly say it’s right for people earning over £50,000 a year to get state benefits in the form of tax credits?”

What did you read? :confused

I was agreeing with you that that was entirely reasonable. The point I was making was that what they write down, isn't necessarily what they'll do. They've probably been writing a load of stuff on the back of fag packets today that is not for general consumption.

I guess my point is that historically, the Tories look after the middle classes and upwards and I wouldn't think they'll do anything differently since it's 'middle England' that have voted them in. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Those simpering, ungrateful 'Smelly Socks' on the other hand, they're due a doing..

florence
11-May-10, 23:49
And stop quoting from the Tory manifesto, or whatever it is. I'm starting to feel sick

Phill
11-May-10, 23:49
Politics aside there are cuts to be made. These shenanigans of agreeing policy between the coalition is just a balancing act for the bean counters, one party drops this, another party drops that.

No matter who ended up in power the cuts will be made, BUT the local authorities make them. So it's not a government, nor ministerial decision on what goes, it yer council!

Mandy, through Gordy, has set up the moves for the next election. All we see now is game playing. Any administration now is on a suicide watch, but, Labour went out on a 'high'. Gordy saved the world and Labour gave us life anything afterwards is going to take it all away.

VAT 20% before year end.

shazzap
11-May-10, 23:50
They all pee in the same pot.

florence
11-May-10, 23:54
Don't get me wrong, I don't trust any of them. However, on the 'who do you think would sell your (working class) granny for a tenner scale (YOUR being the operative word)'. I would put Cameron at the top:mad:

ducati
12-May-10, 00:01
I was agreeing with you that that was entirely reasonable. The point I was making was that what they write down, isn't necessarily what they'll do. They've probably been writing a load of stuff on the back of fag packets today that is not for general consumption.

I guess my point is that historically, the Tories look after the middle classes and upwards and I wouldn't think they'll do anything differently since it's 'middle England' that have voted them in. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Those simpering, ungrateful 'Smelly Socks' on the other hand, they're due a doing..

Well isn't it the same with all parties. You have to pick the one that most closely reflects your own values.

TBO I haven't even read the manifesto :Razz

But your mistrust of Politicians in general shocks me :eek:

florence
12-May-10, 00:10
Well, to be honest, the fact that you trust any of them, shocks me!! Ever heard of the expression, there's no such thing as a free lunch? Humanity as a species is inherently greedy and lacking in integrity. That's why the ones that have it, shine so brightly. Pick your own examples, as long as it's not Maggie.

piratelassie
12-May-10, 00:21
At least in Scotland we have the option of getting rid of the tories, vote for home rule. The English socalists dont.

pegasus
12-May-10, 00:23
They all pee in the same pot.

Had to laugh, but let's hope that they don't all share the same qualities! :roll:

shazzap
12-May-10, 00:25
Had to laugh, but let's hope that they don't all share the same qualities! :roll:

Yes they do, it's the.
ME ME ME policy.[lol]

rob1
12-May-10, 00:31
At least in Scotland we have the option of getting rid of the tories, vote for home rule. The English socalists dont.

You do realise that in scotland the tories only got about 80000 fewer votes than the SNP and about 40000 fewer votes than the lib dems in this election. The problem is the tory supporter are scattered over the whole of scotland where as the lib dem and SNP supporter are more concentrated.
To be honest it would not take much for a tory swing of 4% which could easily but the tories as the 2nd most popular party in scotland.

pegasus
12-May-10, 00:43
Be specific?

Lets say the road tax is due on my car and I cant afford the £180 so I have to pay £99 for 6 months. So the poor person pays £18 more than the rich person to tax the same type of car. The gap between rich and poor has increased by 10 percent just in this simple example.

piratelassie
12-May-10, 01:08
you do realise that in scotland the tories only got about 80000 fewer votes than the snp and about 40000 fewer votes than the lib dems in this election. The problem is the tory supporter are scattered over the whole of scotland where as the lib dem and snp supporter are more concentrated.
To be honest it would not take much for a tory swing of 4% which could easily but the tories as the 2nd most popular party in scotland.
with home rule there would be no need for an s.n.p. Vote therefore the s.n.p. Votes would be cast for the other parties standing and presumably a socialist government would be elected.

Boozeburglar
12-May-10, 02:39
Lets say the road tax is due on my car and I cant afford the £180 so I have to pay £99 for 6 months. So the poor person pays £18 more than the rich person to tax the same type of car. The gap between rich and poor has increased by 10 percent just in this simple example.

Adam Smith would be proud.

with home rule there would be no need for an s.n.p. Vote therefore the s.n.p. Votes would be cast for the other parties standing and presumably a socialist government would be elected.

Last time I heard it was the Conservative and Unionist Party in Scotland, so I don't think the idea of a party with a central theme being continued independence would necessarily be redundant if they are still operating. :)

By the way, mind that the SNP are more of a socialist party than current Labour . . .

brandy
12-May-10, 07:44
well its all done and dusted now. the labour party had 13 years in office.. so we couldnt really expect much more. as far as things go it was time for a change. ive never lived under a conservative govt. in this country but im guessing they are like the republicans of america?
now that the vote is cast all we can do is wait and see.. and as always get on the best we can.
this is just on a wee personal note.. but even though everyone is going on about how evil cameron is.. something that will always stick with me. do you remember when his little boy Ivan died? i didnt have a clue who he was at the time.. did not follow politics at all. just remember reading about it in the papers and crying at the story.
it does show that he is human, that he is just a man like the rest of us.
some one who has all the range of emotions as everyone else and not above the really important things.
i know it may just be a wacky female thing and my heart and brain do not connect properly .. but because of that one thing.. i really want to give him the benifit of the doubt.
i will withold my judgment on him until he does something that deserves it.

ducati
12-May-10, 07:56
Well we've woken up to CONDem weather this morning.

Like Labour weather, but warmer brighter with the sun in the sky Ahhh....

The grass will no doubt cut itself later, on the crocket lawn :)

Flashman
12-May-10, 07:59
well its all done and dusted now. the labour party had 13 years in office.. so we couldnt really expect much more. as far as things go it was time for a change. ive never lived under a conservative govt. in this country but im guessing they are like the republicans of america?
now that the vote is cast all we can do is wait and see.. and as always get on the best we can.
this is just on a wee personal note.. but even though everyone is going on about how evil cameron is.. something that will always stick with me. do you remember when his little boy Ivan died? i didnt have a clue who he was at the time.. did not follow politics at all. just remember reading about it in the papers and crying at the story.
it does show that he is human, that he is just a man like the rest of us.
some one who has all the range of emotions as everyone else and not above the really important things.
i know it may just be a wacky female thing and my heart and brain do not connect properly .. but because of that one thing.. i really want to give him the benifit of the doubt.
i will withold my judgment on him until he does something that deserves it.

No because America is a Conservative country in general and the political ground in which the Republicans and Democrats fight on is more to the right than Britain's Poilitical Ground.

ducati
12-May-10, 08:05

£180? mine is £200 odd, what a rip off! :mad: Because I am trying to be green by running an older car it is deamed less efficient therefore attracts higher tax. A labour initiative I believe :roll:

Despite the fact that a car uses far more resources and creates far more pollution being built, than it ever will in its lifetime on the road.

Just one example of the outgoing Gov monkeys trying to appear green but actually having a negative effect-a bit like windmills!

Imbeciles!

RecQuery
12-May-10, 08:10
The Tories believe in a society that can help itself. If you can't help yourself, they're not interested in you and I personally, do not believe any of that guff he came out with about the frail, or the weak. His constituents will have enough money to help 'their' frail and weak, or send them somewhere where noone sees them, or pay for minions to look after them. Didn't Thatcher come out with some crack about "home is where you go when you've got nowhere else.".

The problem with this belief and strategy in general, and capitalism in practice is thats its skewered. In theory capitalism should reward the best and the brightest, the smartest, those willing to put in the most effort and to work the hardest.

In practice it rewards, family, drinking buddies, the mediocre and the already rich. Its a den of nepotism, insular, incestuous and xenophobic. I use to be a lot more conservative in my late teens, early twenties than I am today.

adi1
12-May-10, 08:15

There is a brilliant tip Ive got for this problem
On the front there is a date when your road tax end's, it's not as though its a surprise bill so my tip is for the next 6 months is to put a pound a day away and hey presto you will then afford to tax your car for 12 months, then for the next 12 months it will only cost you 50p a day, It's called budgeting

ducati
12-May-10, 08:17
On the front there is a date when your road tax end's, it's not as though its a surprise bill so my tip is for the next 6 months is to put a pound a day away and hey presto you will then afford to tax your car for 12 months, then for the next 12 months it will only cost you 50p a day, It's called budgeting

Top Tips, Sorted :cool:

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 08:34

now let me see, will I take £7 per week out of my food budget, or my electricity budget...

Oh I forgot, I better take it from food and starve the kids, I'm already paying over the odds for my electricity because I'm on a pre-payment meter because I'm poor

adi1
12-May-10, 08:40
If you can't afford to run a car get rid of it, wonder how people managed years ago without one??

fred
12-May-10, 08:48
If you can't afford to run a car get rid of it, wonder how people managed years ago without one??

We used to have shops in walking distance not supermarkets miles away.

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 08:49
years ago there were shops selling all that was required almost everywhere, if not then people used public transport which was frequent and cheap. Now there is very little choice but to use a car to live any kind of life.

and none of that makes it any the less iniquitous that the poorest members of society pay more for the absolute basics required for life

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 08:53
Given the requirement now for the continuous licensing of vehicles why does the government not move into the 21st century and allow for payment of car tax by direct debit?

We no longer need a tax disc as the police in general use NPR to detect any illegalities relating to cars, so let people pay by direct debit, either monthly, or annually, and just charge the same for any method...

They have managed the same leap of imagination for the TV licence which can be paid for in at least 6 different ways, and no penalty for whichever is chosen

sphinx
12-May-10, 08:54
:lol:hail hail longshanks is here i wonder how scotland will get stuffed now davey??????????

brandy
12-May-10, 08:57
well in wick there is no shopping outside walking distance. even tesco is in walking distance. and if your doing a big shop you can always call a taxi for the 3 pounds to get home

adi1
12-May-10, 09:05
must have been heaven years ago all that public transport with shops selling anything you wanted except internet access, sky tv, playstations, dvd's etc,then coming home to do the washing by hand then putting it through a mangle.
Fact is we are spoiled and want everything what im saying is that if a car is a necessity then you have to budget for it and cut down on other non necessities that ive mentioned.
I believe that some supermarkets do deliver

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 09:10
must have been heaven years ago all that public transport with shops selling anything you wanted except internet access, sky tv, playstations, dvd's etc,then coming home to do the washing by hand then putting it through a mangle.
Fact is we are spoiled and want everything what im saying is that if a car is a necessity then you have to budget for it and cut down on other non necessities that ive mentioned.
I believe that some supermarkets do deliver

I am afraid adi1 that you clearly have no idea about life in britain today if you are genuinely poor

Your ignorance of the way millions of people have to live is disgraceful.

ducati
12-May-10, 09:16
I am afraid adi1 that you clearly have no idea about life in britain today if you are genuinely poor

Your ignorance of the way millions of people have to live is disgraceful.

Yep. smoke, drink, off yer head on crack, and the bairns have no shoes waley, waley,

adi1
12-May-10, 09:24
There are very few poor people in Britain, 25000 people a day (thats roughly the population of Caithness) die every day of starvation around the world mainly children, and people moan about paying a extra 18 quid to tax their car.
Then have the cheek to say my knowledge of poor people in Britain is disgraceful people need to realise just how privilaged they are and stop moaning about not being to afford the luxuries in life

bekisman
12-May-10, 09:43
I'm lucky, in that while it will impact on me, the CONservative / Cameroon Coalition Goverment will not cost me my job.

But I hope that the additional unemployed that will be created as a result of their policies will be able to "get over it".

Whoops! Breaking News: "unemployment up a further 53,000 now 2.51 million unemployed" - yer Jock Broon had his go, now it's Jock Cameron ;)

RecQuery
12-May-10, 09:44
There are very few poor people in Britain, 25000 people a day (thats roughly the population of Caithness) die every day of starvation around the world mainly children, and people moan about paying a extra 18 quid to tax their car.
Then have the cheek to say my knowledge of poor people in Britain is disgraceful people need to realise just how privilaged they are and stop moaning about not being to afford the luxuries in life

By that reasoning nothing can be done or argued for anything; you can't complain about anything. Without raising the lowest common denominator for everything. Its like arguing with people who have kids when they always try and take the moral high ground or when a cause puts someone who has been personally affected as a spokesman, you can't argue with them without looking bad.

The Oracle
12-May-10, 10:22
Whoops! Breaking News: "unemployment up a further 53,000 now 2.51 million unemployed" - yer Jock Broon had his go, now it's Jock Cameron ;)

And only time will tell how high it will rise under your Jock Cameron.

Forgive me for finding nothing to rejoice in the misfortune of others.

bekisman
12-May-10, 10:33
And only time will tell how high it will rise under your Jock Cameron.

Forgive me for finding nothing to rejoice in the misfortune of others.

I'm not a Jock, he's one of yours, and I don't rejoice about the misfortune of others - Schadenfreude ain't my scene - you've got that wrong too.

I'm a wee bit surprised about the comments on class; Tories are all toff's 'he's an old Etonian' what the hell difference does that make?..
Reading through these threads it sounds that until yesterday, we all lived in a Land of Milk and Honey - umm I don't think so - a poster is worried about affording their road tax, [Road tax by DD - excellent idea] another enough to feed the electricity meter, 'scarier bits of the Tory party' - of course Labour were all examples of total sanity, 'There are very few poor people in Britain'.. 'poor get poorer'; yep: The number of UK children living in "severe poverty" rose in the four years before the recession. Save the Children says the number of children in homes in this category rose 260,000 to 1.7m from 2004 to 2008 Save the Children calculated there were 1.46 million children in what they call severe poverty in 2004-05. Four years later the number had risen to 1.7 million and don't forget 'Two million pensioners are living in poverty, according to figures released today.
Dounreay work stopped? Hmm nuf said. 'cutting their tax benefits' - oh, 'cutting tax credits at that level seems entirely reasonable' 'Tories look after middle class' (and Labour looks after the poor, elderly? - see above)...
'Vote for home rule'; pipe dream 'Support for Scottish independence has plummeted to a record low survey shows only 27 per cent of Scots would support independence in a referendum compared to 55 per cent who are opposed'.
Only 491,386 voted SNP with Tories 412,855 - just a heel snapping 78,531 votes behind. Libdems:465,471 (and of course Labour with 1,035,528) Next year Labour will be running Hollyrood..
Hmm 13 years has been wonderful oops forgot the illegal Iraq war.

piratelassie
12-May-10, 12:08
I'm not a Jock, he's one of yours, and I don't rejoice about the misfortune of others - Schadenfreude ain't my scene - you've got that wrong too.

I'm a wee bit surprised about the comments on class; Tories are all toff's 'he's an old Etonian' what the hell difference does that make?..
Reading through these threads it sounds that until yesterday, we all lived in a Land of Milk and Honey - umm I don't think so - a poster is worried about affording their road tax, [Road tax by DD - excellent idea] another enough to feed the electricity meter, 'scarier bits of the Tory party' - of course Labour were all examples of total sanity, 'There are very few poor people in Britain'.. 'poor get poorer'; yep: The number of UK children living in "severe poverty" rose in the four years before the recession. Save the Children says the number of children in homes in this category rose 260,000 to 1.7m from 2004 to 2008 Save the Children calculated there were 1.46 million children in what they call severe poverty in 2004-05. Four years later the number had risen to 1.7 million and don't forget 'Two million pensioners are living in poverty, according to figures released today.
Dounreay work stopped? Hmm nuf said. 'cutting their tax benefits' - oh, 'cutting tax credits at that level seems entirely reasonable' 'Tories look after middle class' (and Labour looks after the poor, elderly? - see above)...
'Vote for home rule'; pipe dream 'Support for Scottish independence has plummeted to a record low survey shows only 27 per cent of Scots would support independence in a referendum compared to 55 per cent who are opposed'.
Only 491,386 voted SNP with Tories 412,855 - just a heel snapping 78,531 votes behind. Libdems:465,471 (and of course Labour with 1,035,528) Next year Labour will be running Hollyrood..
Hmm 13 years has been wonderful oops forgot the illegal Iraq war.

The Lib Dem / Con pact will only be good for Scottish Independance.

bekisman
12-May-10, 12:57
Just been collating..Sounds ok so far;

'Details of the Tory-Lib Dem deal emerge. The Lib Dems have agreed to drop plans for a "mansion tax", while the Conservatives have ditched their pledge to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1m.
The new administration will scrap Labour's planned rise in National Insurance but some of the benefits will go to reducing income tax thresholds for lower earners.
The Lib Dems have agreed to a cap on immigration and a commitment not to join the euro (phew) for the lifetime of the parliament.

As part of the deal the Lib Dems have agreed to accept Conservative plans to replace the Trident nuclear weapons system, something they'd vehemently opposed until now. They've also agreed to the Tory cap on immigrants coming to the UK from outside the EU, and shelved their own plans for an amnesty for some illegal immigrants already here.

The Lib Dems have got another of their big wishes - we've learned that there's going to be wholesale reform of the House of Lords, early in the parliament, to make it fully elected. And the method they're going to use to elect it? Proportional representation, the system the Lib Dems have loved for so long,

Airlines may be in for a bit of a shock, says the BBC's business editor Robert Peston, because the Lib Dem policy of taxing planes rather than passengers has been adopted by David Cameron.

I think the Lib Dems and Tories really were surprised by how much they liked each other when they came together to hold talks. I don't think they're making that up, says the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson. Mr Hague agrees. "That is true," he says. "These negotiations were at times enjoyable." Isn't that nice?

Cattach
12-May-10, 13:26
I have never voted Conservative and indeed could never contemplate doing so. I always voted Labour until I ‘moved’ with Robert MacLennan through the Social Democrats to the Liberal Democrats. Since then I have always voted for the Liberal Democrats. I am horrified that I have used my vote to put a the Tories in Government and will never again vote for the Liberals.

Boozeburglar
12-May-10, 13:46
I know a lot of people came to the Lib Dems by that route, and I understand your frustration. I think a lot of other voters will follow suit. If there was a 2nd choice option on the ballot paper, I am certain the majority of Lib Dems would have had Labour marked there.

ducati
12-May-10, 14:05
I have never voted Conservative and indeed could never contemplate doing so. I always voted Labour until I ‘moved’ with Robert MacLennan through the Social Democrats to the Liberal Democrats. Since then I have always voted for the Liberal Democrats. I am horrified that I have used my vote to put a the Tories in Government and will never again vote for the Liberals.

You are going to kind of run out of people to vote for :eek:

RecQuery
12-May-10, 14:18
Argh, why are people such reactionary demagogues. Compromise is a good thing not a bad thing, the ability to change ones mind or position either temporarily in exchange for something or for the greater good. I mean I'm not a fan of the Tories but they're not all the stereotypes people make them out to be. In fact I imagine very few actually are. They don't get up every morning and think 'I'm going to stick it to the common man'.

And statements like 'I'm never voting for the Lib Dems again because they discussed and came to a compromise with X" well I honestly don't know what to say.

Also New Labour was fairly right wing.

Rather than 10 to 20 year turn abouts for each party where they undo the work of the last. Why can't people discuss, compromise, agree, trade. You know actually play politics instead of the virtual dictatorships of the past.

Much as I would of like to see the other coalition form, the more I think about it, the more untenable it was. Labour aren't even fully packed yet and people are forgetting their past mistakes.

/facepalm
/double-facepalm

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 14:22

So the fact that you followed Robert MacLennan from labour to SDLP to LibDem suggests that you thought more about him, his policies, his integrity, than his party allegiance.

Nothing has changed, he is still the same person and has taken a very tough decision to enable a strong uk government to be formed.

No-one should forget this IS NOT a conservative government, it is a coalition, that Nick Clegg is the deputy PM should speak volumes.

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 14:54
Anyone that believes we have a conservative government really should read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8677933.stm)

ducati
12-May-10, 15:01
Anyone that believes we have a conservative government really should read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8677933.stm)

I've just watched the first news conference with Nick 'n' Dave and I must say they gave an inspiring performance. It left me looking forward to the days, weeks, months and years to come :D

NickInTheNorth
12-May-10, 15:05
I've just watched the first news conference with Nick 'n' Dave and I must say they gave an inspiring performance. It left me looking forward to the days, weeks, months and years to come :D

and as another LibDem Nick to another tory, it is with great pleasure that I can say "I agree with ducati"...

I can hardly believe just how happy and comfortable they both looked, body language looked good, I really believe we may be seeing new politics in action...

bekisman
12-May-10, 15:12
I really believe we may be seeing new politics in action...

Totally 100% agree.

gleeber
12-May-10, 15:15
Aye and as a Labour voter I have to admit I was taken in by the performance too.

bekisman
12-May-10, 15:19
Aye and as a Labour voter I have to admit I was taken in by the performance too.

Please to read it..

gleeber
12-May-10, 15:44
I have an open mind about politics (apart from voting tory) :lol: and am usually drawn to a politicians persona. I'm never fooled though even though I liked Tony Blair and George W Bush and even had a sneaky admiration of Mrs Thatcher. Its easy to see through anybody but theyre just playing their parts in world history just like we do in ours. The whole worlds a stage.
I like the bit in DavidCcamerons speech about responsibility being one of the pillars of the coalition along with freedom and care. It's just another take on Presidents kennedys 'not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country' speech.
Time will tell but all the evidence would suggest that it wont be long before theyre at eachothers throats.

bekisman
12-May-10, 15:48
Time will tell but all the evidence would suggest that it wont be long before theyre at eachothers throats.

What evidence is that?

gleeber
12-May-10, 15:53
Have you not noticed that politics and international affairs always cause conflict?

bekisman
12-May-10, 16:01
Have you not noticed that politics and international affairs always cause conflict?

Hmm could you elucidate, re con/libdem

DeHaviLand
12-May-10, 16:14

Interesting reading indeed. I'm particularly keen on the stance re Sovereignty in Europe and the promise not to join, or prepare to join, the single currency during the lifetime of this Parliament.

As for the remainder of it, I cant help but feel it may be a case of jam now, plain bread tomorrow!

gleeber
12-May-10, 16:16
I'm not sure what you want re con/libdem.

florence
12-May-10, 16:26
Hmm could you elucidate, re con/libdem

The Liberals are more left wing that the Labour party, which is why some Labour voters, voted for them. There's bound to be conflict as soon as they start trying to adhere to their principles, which will not be in line with the Tories (rightly or wrongly).

Unless they've sold their souls for a bit of power...surely not:eek:

Andfield
12-May-10, 16:47
This coalition is bad news -first thing they do is put a Scotsman on the dole and throw him out of his house [lol]

ducati
12-May-10, 17:18
This coalition is bad news -first thing they do is put a Scotsman on the dole and throw him out of his house [lol]

Page 4 Para 11 in the agreement. Oh no, my mistake, that one is: set fire to Liverpool :Razz

Although, I don't know how you would tell the difference, Liverpool is always on fire!

bekisman
12-May-10, 17:28
They are doing this as well!:
'Review of Scottish MPs voting on England-only legislation'

Sara Jevo
12-May-10, 21:08
They are doing this as well!:
'Review of Scottish MPs voting on England-only legislation'

That's been a festering sore.

If it leads to devolution for England, domestic politics will become more balanced in the UK.

Labour always resisted because they knew it exposed their minority position in England, just as the Tories always resisted devolution for Scotland because it exposed their minority position in Scotland.

Give the House of Commons to the English, clear the old duffers out the Lords and use that chamber for reserved matters for all UK MPs.

piratelassie
12-May-10, 22:34
and as another LibDem Nick to another tory, it is with great pleasure that I can say "I agree with ducati"...

I can hardly believe just how happy and comfortable they both looked, body language looked good, I really believe we may be seeing new politics in action...
Day one, happy / comfortable?? It wont last, cant last. Another point, the Lib Dems called for the abolition of the position of SECRETARY OF STATE FOR SCOTLAND, and now we have a Lib Dem one. So much for their integrity.

bagpuss
12-May-10, 22:39
Just wait until the new coalition tries to break up the Barnet formula- all they need to do is slash funding for the Scots parliament and there may be trouble ahead

I remember when Mrs T got into power back in 1979

Husband is hacked off- he was relying on the inheritance cut - which due to the Lib dems he isn't getting.........

Puzzled
12-May-10, 22:44
Husband is hacked off- he was relying on the inheritance cut - which due to the Lib dems he isn't getting.........

Lucky you to have so much!!

The Pepsi Challenge
13-May-10, 05:23
New politics? Aye right.

So we got Theresa May! She wasn't good enough to feature in the foreground of the Conservative campaign; she wasn't good enough to be involved with the manifesto; she wasn't good enough to be part of the negotiating team. But apparently she's good enough to be home secretary. Three cheers for that!

From a total of 29 attending cabinet, there will be just four women. (One of them, Sayeeda Warsi, is unpaid, unelected and a "minister without portfolio". She is also the only non-white member of the cabinet.) It's quite a contrast with Nick Clegg's comments on Tuesday: "I hope this is the start of a new kind of politics I have always believed in. Diverse, plural, where different points of view find a way to work together."

This cabinet, diverse? With less than 14% women? Spain manages 53%, Germany 37%. Plural? With not a single minority ethnic MP? A new kind of politics? When two thirds of the top table went to private school – three each to Eton and Westminster – compared with 7% of the population?

If this is the new government's definition of diversity, perhaps someone can explain to the charmed double act of David Cameron and Nick Clegg what the rest of the country looks like. It's not their fault that these 43-year-old white ex-public schoolboys have piles of cash and nuclear families. But they need to realise that they, and their cabinet, are anything but reflective of the country.

If they care at all about representation – and I'd have thought that Cameron must, since in 2008 he promised in the Observer that he would give a third of the jobs in his first government to women – then the new cabinet is an embarrassment to both of them.

How did this happen? Until now the Tories have been impressive; it is largely down to them that the presence of women in parliament increased at this election, from 19.5% to 22%. They also dramatically improved the number of their ethnic minority MPs. The Lib Dems, by contrast, have an appalling record: a 100% all-white parliamentary party with just seven female MPs – and even fewer female candidates than at the last two elections. All the women in the cabinet are Tories; if you're going to have a Lib Dem "who he?" with David Laws, why not a "who she?" with Lynne Featherstone?

The new appointments cap an election that has surely marked a nadir for women in modern public life. The lack of women in the campaign was much discussed – with no discernible response from any party. There were no women promoting manifestos, making speeches, representing their parties in the media. There were few women on TV at all, as Nick Robinson and Adam Boulton tried to out-macho each other with testosterone-fuelled aggression. Pundits were white men to a man – the sight of Lib Dem Olly Grender on Newsnight was almost shocking: women exist!

The Labour party, which has by far the best record on the representation of women, nevertheless hid them away: Harriet Harman, now its second female "acting" leader, was barely seen; nor Yvette Cooper – pressed by Jeremy Paxman about the content of her "pillow talk" with husband Ed Balls and now asked repeatedly if her hubby is standing for leader; nor Margaret Hodge, who made the best speech of election night on defeating the BNP in Barking.

Those delectable wives did get noticed, of course. Sarah Brown, Samantha Cameron and Miriam González Durántez got a brilliant press – because they are quiet, good-looking, well-dressed and best of all, know their place: as wives and mothers, in support of their powerful men. Herding their beautiful families, looking lush, standing pregnant on the threshold of No 10 like the Virgin Mary in Renaissance blue. The wives were the Madonnas, the good women; the women MPs the bad. All were silenced.

Does representation matter? Is it any better to have May as home secretary when she's voted against gay rights and women's access to abortion? It surely counts for something. May, who once wore a T-shirt bearing the slogan "This is what a feminist looks like" has campaigned against sexual violence and worked hard on getting more Tory women MPs, is far more likely to ask questions about how a policy will impact on women than her male colleagues. Whether or not you like her answer is another matter, but she knows to ask. For an institution to be democratic it has to be "of the people" – democracies simply don't work unless they represent those they govern. The millionaire who slashes away at public services can have no true understanding of the affect of the loss of those services on the single mother with nowhere else to go.

And so a stranded quartet carries the torch for women in a scandalously non-diverse cabinet, almost a century after women got the vote. We have a parliament that is not representative of the people, and a cabinet not even representative of parliament. A cabal of rich, white, middle-aged, soft-handed men is to rule over this mixed-up, multiracial, aging, 51%-female, gloriously diverse country of ours. A new politics? I don't think so.

YummyMummy
13-May-10, 11:37
New politics? Aye right.

So we got Theresa May! She wasn't good enough to feature in the foreground of the Conservative campaign; she wasn't good enough to be involved with the manifesto; she wasn't good enough to be part of the negotiating team. But apparently she's good enough to be home secretary. Three cheers for that!

From a total of 29 attending cabinet, there will be just four women. (One of them, Sayeeda Warsi, is unpaid, unelected and a "minister without portfolio". She is also the only non-white member of the cabinet.) It's quite a contrast with Nick Clegg's comments on Tuesday: "I hope this is the start of a new kind of politics I have always believed in. Diverse, plural, where different points of view find a way to work together."

This cabinet, diverse? With less than 14% women? Spain manages 53%, Germany 37%. Plural? With not a single minority ethnic MP? A new kind of politics? When two thirds of the top table went to private school – three each to Eton and Westminster – compared with 7% of the population?

If this is the new government's definition of diversity, perhaps someone can explain to the charmed double act of David Cameron and Nick Clegg what the rest of the country looks like. It's not their fault that these 43-year-old white ex-public schoolboys have piles of cash and nuclear families. But they need to realise that they, and their cabinet, are anything but reflective of the country.

If they care at all about representation – and I'd have thought that Cameron must, since in 2008 he promised in the Observer that he would give a third of the jobs in his first government to women – then the new cabinet is an embarrassment to both of them.

How did this happen? Until now the Tories have been impressive; it is largely down to them that the presence of women in parliament increased at this election, from 19.5% to 22%. They also dramatically improved the number of their ethnic minority MPs. The Lib Dems, by contrast, have an appalling record: a 100% all-white parliamentary party with just seven female MPs – and even fewer female candidates than at the last two elections. All the women in the cabinet are Tories; if you're going to have a Lib Dem "who he?" with David Laws, why not a "who she?" with Lynne Featherstone?

The new appointments cap an election that has surely marked a nadir for women in modern public life. The lack of women in the campaign was much discussed – with no discernible response from any party. There were no women promoting manifestos, making speeches, representing their parties in the media. There were few women on TV at all, as Nick Robinson and Adam Boulton tried to out-macho each other with testosterone-fuelled aggression. Pundits were white men to a man – the sight of Lib Dem Olly Grender on Newsnight was almost shocking: women exist!

The Labour party, which has by far the best record on the representation of women, nevertheless hid them away: Harriet Harman, now its second female "acting" leader, was barely seen; nor Yvette Cooper – pressed by Jeremy Paxman about the content of her "pillow talk" with husband Ed Balls and now asked repeatedly if her hubby is standing for leader; nor Margaret Hodge, who made the best speech of election night on defeating the BNP in Barking.

Those delectable wives did get noticed, of course. Sarah Brown, Samantha Cameron and Miriam González Durántez got a brilliant press – because they are quiet, good-looking, well-dressed and best of all, know their place: as wives and mothers, in support of their powerful men. Herding their beautiful families, looking lush, standing pregnant on the threshold of No 10 like the Virgin Mary in Renaissance blue. The wives were the Madonnas, the good women; the women MPs the bad. All were silenced.

Does representation matter? Is it any better to have May as home secretary when she's voted against gay rights and women's access to abortion? It surely counts for something. May, who once wore a T-shirt bearing the slogan "This is what a feminist looks like" has campaigned against sexual violence and worked hard on getting more Tory women MPs, is far more likely to ask questions about how a policy will impact on women than her male colleagues. Whether or not you like her answer is another matter, but she knows to ask. For an institution to be democratic it has to be "of the people" – democracies simply don't work unless they represent those they govern. The millionaire who slashes away at public services can have no true understanding of the affect of the loss of those services on the single mother with nowhere else to go.

And so a stranded quartet carries the torch for women in a scandalously non-diverse cabinet, almost a century after women got the vote. We have a parliament that is not representative of the people, and a cabinet not even representative of parliament. A cabal of rich, white, middle-aged, soft-handed men is to rule over this mixed-up, multiracial, aging, 51%-female, gloriously diverse country of ours. A new politics? I don't think so.

Way to go Pepsi Challenge! This is the best post I have ever read.

Andfield
13-May-10, 11:56
I guess Pepsi's left wing snout is a little bit out of joint [lol][lol][lol]

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 12:15
Perhaps you would do him the favour of reading his post again. It seems to have little to do with left wing politics.

Great post Pepsi. 100% agree.

NickInTheNorth
13-May-10, 12:20
Whilst not disagreeing with the general tenor of the pepsi challenge's post I don't think it is entirely the fault of the WASP's either.

A quick snip from the Guardian this morning

The lack of women in the new cabinet has been criticised by the former Labour foreign secretary Margaret Beckett. When asked whether this would alienate the electorate, Beckett told GMTV:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/04/08/quote_red.gif I think it could and that would be a pity because one of the reasons that they probably haven't got more women in the cabinet in senior roles is simply because of the dearth of people coming through. And that's a consequence of the lack of encouragement and the lack of bringing people forward in the past. In the Liberal party for example they talked for years and years and years about bringing more women in but it simply hasn't happened.
But her criticism wasn't just reserved for the cabinet. She also addressed the lack of female contenders for the Labour leadership:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/04/08/quote_red.gif It's a sadness in many ways but I think it's a consequence of there not being enough women coming through and not having been given that level of experience where it makes people say, "Yes, they're okay."
Beckett said the parties "have to do more to support them". "It's a pity that it is necessary but it still is necessary and I'm not sure all the parties have really recognised that that is the case."

The only thing lacking from what Margaret Beckett had to say was a commitment to stand for party leader.

It really is time that women stopped bleating that they are not given a hand up the political ladder and started working to achieve their aims.

I am aware that many women find the adversarial nature of "men's politics" not to their taste.

One simple fact to chew on, there are more women that men in these fair islands, why don't they get themselves organised and change the face of politics by getting organised and involved? I'm sure if they really wanted to they could, and I don't just mean join the established parties, create a new political force, work for the kind of society which we should have, but please don't bleat about not fair.

John Little
13-May-10, 13:03
Perhaps you would do him the favour of reading his post again. It seems to have little to do with left wing politics.

Great post Pepsi. 100% agree.

Pssst.... BB.... (Pepsi is a 'her'......)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCtGkCg7trY

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 13:06
He is???

That throws some of his remarks into a new light; perhaps he was coming onto me!!

Lol.

As trans gender folk go he is doing a remarkable job of being a bloke.

bekisman
13-May-10, 13:22
Here we go, the same old tired quotes ref more woman in politics - the concept of merit is going out of the window, it matters not a jot if they are black white yellow man or woman as long as they are good at the job.. if you as a woman do not stand, and you do not come forward - you don't get elected.. when you stood up at your constituency labour party meetings, did you insist on a more fair representation of woman? Did you do anything to encourage woman and minorities into politics? Why, as you seem erudite, did YOU not go into politics?

The same tired old class clichés; "When two thirds of the top table went to private school – three each to Eton and Westminster" and "these 43-year-old white ex-public schoolboys have piles of cash " and "The millionaire who slashes away at public services " and "A cabal of rich" Is it a crime? you obviously think it is wrong - my youngest son went to Dundee Uni, should have stopped him bettering himself. My daughter in law is a Senior Manager of the Royal Bank of Canada, got off her bum and made her way up the many levels, in a mans world - but it has got to come from within and not by 'quota'.

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 13:37
History suggests you are wrong.

The Civil Rights movement achieved a lot, but only with the aid of legislation have things really changed.

To pretend we live in a meritocracy and all one need do is show ability to get on in whatever field of endeavour is disingenuous to say the least.

You can always rely on me to say the least.

bekisman
13-May-10, 14:35
[quote=Boozeburglar;705959]
To pretend we live in a meritocracy and all one need do is show ability to get on in whatever field of endeavour is disingenuous to say the least./quote]
"My daughter in law is a Senior Manager of the Royal Bank of Canada, got off her bum and made her way up the many levels, in a mans world - but it has got to come from within and not by 'quota'."

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 14:53
Perhaps you could make your point more clearly.

RecQuery
13-May-10, 15:14
@The Pepsi Challenge

My problem with diversity and equal opportunities et al is that its not. Instead just hire or appoint the best person for the job and be done with it. Do it on merit as bekisman said.

For example most companies when faced with two people: one who is really good at the job and happens to be a straight native white male with no disabilities and another who happens to be a one-legged Bangladeshi lesbian who is okay at the job. They'll hire the latter. Thats affirmative action not equal opportunities.

As the former I get kind of annoyed with this mindset, especially when I've been hit with it a few times.

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 15:17
. . . and what do you call it when companies are free to bin every application from someone with a 'foreign' sounding name?

DeHaviLand
13-May-10, 15:42

So Pepsi is Dame Ethel Smyth? Way to go Pepsi :D

bekisman
13-May-10, 15:47
[quote=Boozeburglar;705959]
To pretend we live in a meritocracy and all one need do is show ability to get on in whatever field of endeavour is disingenuous to say the least./quote]
"My daughter in law is a Senior Manager of the Royal Bank of Canada, got off her bum and made her way up the many levels, in a mans world - but it has got to come from within and not by 'quota'."

Q: To pretend we live in a meritocracy and all one need do is show ability to get on in whatever field of endeavour is disingenuous to say the least?
A: "My daughter in law is a Senior Manager of the Royal Bank of Canada, got off her bum and made her way up the many levels, in a mans world - but it has got to come from within and not by 'quota'."

Boozeburglar
13-May-10, 16:31
[quote=bekisman;705970]

Q: To pretend we live in a meritocracy and all one need do is show ability to get on in whatever field of endeavour is disingenuous to say the least?
A: "My daughter in law is a Senior Manager of the Royal Bank of Canada, got off her bum and made her way up the many levels, in a mans world - but it has got to come from within and not by 'quota'."

Still not clear at all, sorry.

fred
13-May-10, 18:40

The Suffragettes used violence and civil disobedience trying to bring about political change. We have names for people who do that now.

Of course when women did eventually get the vote it had nothing to do with the Suffragettes. It was because women stepped in to do men's jobs in the War to End All Wars and the powers that be wanted to know they could rely on them in the next War to End All Wars.

George Brims
13-May-10, 19:22
David Cameron, at 43, will become the youngest prime minister since Lord Liverpool in 1812
Oh for goodness sake, it's bad enough I was at college with the last one, now I'm 13 YEARS OLDER than the new Prime Minister! I shall have to go out and take a walk around the campus (where all the students appear about 12 years old).

John Little
13-May-10, 21:10
The Suffragettes used violence and civil disobedience trying to bring about political change. We have names for people who do that now.

Of course when women did eventually get the vote it had nothing to do with the Suffragettes. It was because women stepped in to do men's jobs in the War to End All Wars and the powers that be wanted to know they could rely on them in the next War to End All Wars.

It's a tad more complicated than that.....;)

John Little
13-May-10, 21:32
OK Pepsi - I admit it. You are a bloke! Apologies in full-

I crawl fawning....

adi1
13-May-10, 21:44
Can people please stop quoting *The Guardian* Im sure if I wanted to read such liberal left wing dross I would go out and buy it.
What next quotes from The Socialist Worker?

John Little
13-May-10, 22:11
I do not see why they should stop if they find it appropriate. Censorship does not appear to be a feature of the Org.

bekisman
13-May-10, 22:30
Can people please stop quoting *The Guardian* Im sure if I wanted to read such liberal left wing dross I would go out and buy it.
What next quotes from The Socialist Worker?

"I’m hoping against hope that Nick Clegg doesn’t end up doing a deal with the Tories. I know that Labour has done some bad things, but it’s also done some good things – and has the largest number of women MPs, which is important. The lack of women in this election period has been depressing."
http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=21183 (http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=21183)

Metalattakk
13-May-10, 22:38
Och, will everyone just cut wee Pepsi some slack? He's only girning 'cos his favourite 'side' got beat.

It's no' lek him, honest. :lol:

crayola
15-May-10, 16:04

I didn't know Pepsi was Katharine Viner. He's hidden it well until now.

scorrie
15-May-10, 16:18
I do not see why they should stop if they find it appropriate. Censorship does not appear to be a feature of the Org.

I assume this is a tongue in cheek statement. Only yesterday I had a photo of Kenny Everett (and the rest of the post) removed without comment or explanation. There was no swearing within and although Kenny was dressed as a woman in the photo it was not explicit in any way.

ducati
15-May-10, 16:23
I assume this is a tongue in cheek statement. Only yesterday I had a photo of Kenny Everett (and the rest of the post) removed without comment or explanation. There was no swearing within and although Kenny was dressed as a woman in the photo it was not explicit in any way.

Was it all done in the best paa-sible taste? [lol]

John Little
15-May-10, 16:35
OK Pepsi - I admit it. You are a bloke! Apologies in full-

I crawl fawning....

"I didn't know Pepsi was Katharine Viner. He's hidden it well until now. "

Already recognised - see page 9.

crayola
15-May-10, 17:34
"I didn't know Pepsi was Katharine Viner. He's hidden it well until now. "

Already recognised - see page 9.
It was? I don't see Katharine Viner mentioned on Page 9.

John Little
15-May-10, 18:03
You are confusing me.

The sequence; 1- I had formed the impression that Pepsi Challenge was a lady fiddler from links on the Org.

2 BB referred to "him" when speaking of PC.

3 I corrected BB - in error it appears.

4 BB gave me to understand that PC is, after all, Male.

5 As an addition to my original post I linked to the only version of March of the Women on Youtube; an oblique comment on women's political struggles ongoing, reflected in the then fact that there was only one woman appointed to the Cabinet, though there are now two.

6 I never said that PC was Katherine Viner.

7 I then rescinded my false impression and offered fawning apologies, on page 9

So now I am chasing my own tail trying not to be confused - but my brain hurts!!! :eek:

bekisman
15-May-10, 19:10
I thought Anfield was a woman, but that's been cleared up..

Anfield
15-May-10, 20:10
You are confusing me.

The sequence; 1- I had formed the impression that Pepsi Challenge was a lady fiddler from links on the Org........ etc etc

So now I am chasing my own tail trying not to be confused - but my brain hurts!!! :eek:

As Descartes wrote "I think, therefore I am"
I think (my addition)

ducati
15-May-10, 21:40
Anyhoo........., Looks like Dave survived his visit and meeting with Alex. All looked very positive. (Except when he saw the Parliament building for the first time and said what the ..........hell is that? [lol]

Anfield
16-May-10, 00:03
Anyhoo........., Looks like Dave survived his visit and meeting with Alex. All looked very positive. (Except when he saw the Parliament building for the first time and said what the ..........hell is that? [lol]

I thought it was Nicola Sturgeon he was looking at when he said that.

I would bet that this is the last time we see Cameron venture further north of Watford for a while

golach
16-May-10, 01:22
Have you ever seen our Parliament building ducati? It is a modern concept and came over budget, but go inside and see it!! It is a building I am proud of.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-May-10, 01:29
"A lady fiddler"? - Careful with such words, John, or you'll be up on a libel charge. :)

Very much in touch with my feminine side, but rest your wee concerning heads - The Pepsi Challenge is, in fact, a black, testosterone-fueled sexual panther.

Metalattakk
16-May-10, 01:49
Very much in touch with my feminine side, but rest your wee concerning heads - The Pepsi Challenge is, in fact, a black, testosterone-fueled sexual panther.

Don't forget the freckles and ginger hair. ;)

Boozeburglar
16-May-10, 03:36

Aye. The veritable Tim Westwood of Funk. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
16-May-10, 03:53

Cheers, baldy. Sorry, I mean Simpsons Comic Book Guy :)

Metalattakk
16-May-10, 05:36
Cheers, baldy. Sorry, I mean Simpsons Comic Book Guy :)

Ooh, if only I were that tall ...

:Razz

ducati
16-May-10, 07:27
Have you ever seen our Parliament building ducati? It is a modern concept and came over budget, but go inside and see it!! It is a building I am proud of.

Not only seen it, watched it built from a massive hole in the ground. Scottish & Newcastle sold 'em a contaminated site. Watched the budget swell x 10 :eek: Watched the materiels transhiped from English to Scottish Lorries on the A1 before arriving in Edinburgh :Razz

Watched the speculators making fortunes from worthless knackered buildings........need breath, Oh' and I'm still paying for it. [disgust]

Rant over, it does kind of grow on you. LOL

crayola
16-May-10, 16:51
6 I never said that PC was Katherine Viner.

So now I am chasing my own tail trying not to be confused - but my brain hurts!!! :eek:You don't seem to be doing very well at getting rid of your confusion.

If you read Pepsi's long post you will discover that he is Katharine Viner. Or that he thinks he is Katharine Viner. Or worse.

John Little
16-May-10, 17:00
A great light dawns.

Pepsi's post echoes Viner?
Or is from the Grauniad?

Or is Vineresque?

crayola
16-May-10, 17:08
A great light dawns.

Pepsi's post echoes Viner?
Or is from the Grauniad?

Or is Vineresque?We seem to be getting somewhere now.

Pepsi's post was written by Katharine Viner and published in The Guardian. So he is Katharine Viner or he ghost-wrote it for her or he nicked it and presented it as his own.

John Little
16-May-10, 17:15
Well why didn't you say so?

You were replying to me and seemed to be saying that I had said PC was Katherine Viner!!!!

bekisman
16-May-10, 17:31
Oh well so far so good ;):
Lib Dem activists have "overwhelmingly" backed leader Nick Clegg's coalition deal with the Conservatives.
They voted to support a motion at a special conference in Birmingham, a party source told the BBC. There was speculation Mr Clegg would face hostility after ex-leader Charles Kennedy said he could not bring himself to back the deal when MPs voted on it.
The conference had no power to overturn the coalition agreement, but could have amended the motion to endorse it. Speaking ahead of the event, which was held behind closed doors, Mr Clegg said: "We are a very democratic party and of course the creation of the coalition government was a real big moment in British politics. It's absolutely right that we are now going to debate it together." Scottish Secretary Danny Alexander, who was part of the Lib Dem team which negotiated the coalition after the Tories failed to win a majority in last Thursday's general election, told BBC One's Politics Show a Labour-Lib Dem coalition was impossible because the Labour negotiating team "were falling apart". Two members, Lord Mandelson and Lord Adonis, "seemed genuinely to want a deal" but the team, which included Ed Miliband, who has since launched a Labour leadership bid, and Ed Balls, who is expected to follow suit, were not "able to speak with one voice," said Mr Alexander.

He added: "I think there are quite a number of people in the Labour party, not just in the negotiating team, but outside too, who clearly wanted to be in opposition and that meant that, it just seemed to us that, at the end of those discussions, there was absolutely no way that this was an arrangement that could work."
Mr Clegg told the Guardian newspaper on Saturday he knew the deal had caused "much surprise and some offence". A handful of non-party members staged a protest against the Lib-Dem Conservative coalition outside the conference centre.
But some party members arriving for the event said they believed extent of Lib Dem anger at the Tory deal had been exaggerated. Nigel Howells, a Liberal Democrat councillor from Cardiff, said: "I think (the deal with the Conservatives) was a sensible thing to do."
Others said although they would have preferred a power-sharing deal with Labour, they believed it would not have been a realistic option. Conservative leader and new prime minister David Cameron has promised the Lib Dem leader would be part of the "inner core" of his government. Speaking on BBC One's Andrew Marr show, he said the coalition was about more than grabbing power. But former Lib Dem leader Mr Kennedy has said he could not bring himself to back Mr Clegg in a vote of Lib Dem MPs on Tuesday and feared the Lib Dems would be swallowed up by the Tories.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/8685341.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/8685341.stm)

crayola
16-May-10, 17:32
Well why didn't you say so?

You were replying to me and seemed to be saying that I had said PC was Katherine Viner!!!!No. If you thought that then you are even more confused than I gave you credit for.

As a witch I try to help people understand the world around them by their own endeavours. Thereby lies the path to deeper understanding.

Getting back on topic.......

I was talking with one of Charles Kennedy's inner circle this afternoon. CK is very unhappy with the coalition but I couldn't extract his future plans from my friend. Perhaps he simply wouldn't tell me but I suspect none of them know yet.

The Pepsi Challenge
17-May-10, 00:58
Katherine Viner Is The Pepsi Challenge. A great song title. :)

The Pepsi Challenge
17-May-10, 01:01
We seem to be getting somewhere now.

Pepsi's post was written by Katharine Viner and published in The Guardian. So he is Katharine Viner or he ghost-wrote it for her or he nicked it and presented it as his own.

Oops. Forgot tae add the link in (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/12/new-coalition-politics-diversity-women).
Apologies for the stooshie, if I could write as well as Viner I widnae be living off cold spaghetti hoops and bottles of Irn-Bru.

Boozeburglar
17-May-10, 01:16
I think you can write pretty well from what I have read. At least you have a bit of energy. :)

The Pepsi Challenge
17-May-10, 14:20
I think you can write pretty well from what I have read. At least you have a bit of energy. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

crayola
18-May-10, 23:51
I think you write pretty well too. But not quite as well as Katharine. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
25-May-10, 20:10
Granted, Crayola.

By the way, here's a certain John Thurso chipping in with his points of view...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJCTk57F_g&feature=related