PDA

View Full Version : satnav don't you just love it!

Kenn
10-May-10, 09:38
Had to go to Inverness and decided to take in Chanonry Point on the way back, hubbie decided to switch on the satnav and it sent us to Cromarty to get the ferry. DOH it only runs from June to September!
We did get to see a bit of the country that we don't normaly reach but were a bit miffed to say the least.
Has your's ever sent you on a wild goose chase,told you to make a u turn when all you have is water on one side and fields on the other albeit in a very polite voice?

onecalledk
10-May-10, 10:12
yep, in Glasgow, thankfully on a sunday evening with less traffic when sat nav took us up a one way street THE WRONG WAY, then just kept putting us back round in circles .........

it appears the sat nav doesnt know about glasgows one way system ......

scary ...

K

carasmam
10-May-10, 10:18
I want Billy Connoly's voice on our sat-nav for when we go away this summer :lol:
We've only just got ours so no funny stories - yet !
Lizz, Chanonry Point is worth going to, so I hope you do manage it sometime. We stayed at the campsite there last year and watched the dolphins every day :D

RecQuery
10-May-10, 10:21
The technology itself is good. Its just the implementation and infrastructure that brings it down.

It only receives positioning data, ideally we need a way to update the units or with information like that or a way to put them online when in use.

Dadie
10-May-10, 10:30
It was scary the ways it tried to take us in the lake district!
Then we found out it was set for the shortest route not main routes:lol:

jimbews
10-May-10, 10:53
yep, in Glasgow, thankfully on a sunday evening with less traffic when sat nav took us up a one way street THE WRONG WAY, then just kept putting us back round in circles .........

I had a similar experience while visiting Cork.
It was only after it tried to take us up some footpaths that I realised I had changed its configuration to "walking" mode while on foot in the city.
So - in this case - operator error.
Also, as in Glasgow, presumably the satnav was right when it was designed. Trouble is keeping maps up to date.
I always treat my system with a fair degree of scepticism, but would be lost without it :)

Vistravi
10-May-10, 13:52
We took ours with us to orkney 2 years ago and it refused to work. It kept telling us to return to the mainland :lol:

joxville
10-May-10, 16:32
I've had my Tom-Tom since it first came out,I update it regularly, and never had any problems with it, whether I'm driving in Glasgow or when I used it in Orkney two years ago. As jimbews said, treat it with a bit of scepticism and you won't go far wrong. I still keep a road map in the car and consult that before making a journey into the unknown. :)

sjr014
10-May-10, 17:05
I love my Tom Tom, but yeah if u don't keep it updated it can be a bit confusing telling you to turn when there is no turning! Normally have a look on Google Maps as well afore i go somewhere its really good 2!

Vistravi
10-May-10, 17:18
Sat navs are brilliant things as long as you have a up to date map with you you for backup. Being able to read a map is a must for sat navs too ;):lol:

George Brims
10-May-10, 20:00
Mine sometimes tries to take me on shortcuts that aren't useful, like one in particular that was a long street with a lot of traffic lights, cutting the corner formed by two freeways that met at right angles. It was 3am and the freeways were empty, and all the traffic lights were in "flashing red" mode, which meant I had to stop at every one and treat it as a stop sign. Must have cost me almost half an hour!
I've occasionally hit trouble when the road layout has been changed since my last map update. Otherwise the thing is a godsend. Even more so for a certain family member who has no navigational instincts at all. Even with a GPS he uses the "list of directions" mode as he finds it confusing to try to follow himself on the moving map!

EDDIE
10-May-10, 20:37
Sometimes when the sat nav is speaking it does tell you the wrong direction so what i do now is when the sat nav is telling me were to go i look at the screen map as been correct and ignore the voice and i havent any problems but its things like in the winter you stick to the main roads and apply common sense rather than listening to the sat nav
But the sat nav is defenetly worth buying and is probably one of the top 5 most useful gadgets going