PDA

View Full Version : Gems in Caithness

new driver
08-May-10, 22:16
We went out to :)Harrow harbour today and what a glorious show of primroses there is at the moment. The cliffs look lovely with all the clumps of pale yellow. Go soon if you want to see them as the other vegetation is growing fast and will soon hide them. There were also about a dozen seals on the rocks as the tide was quite low.
One of the special places in Caithness with easy access.
We also went to another favourite place a bit further along the coast at East Mey, :)The Tea Cosy Café, for a hot drink and some home baking.
It's open again for the season now from 10-5 most days. Some overseas visitors have found it and have marked the maps.
Perhaps you have a favourite place to visit that you could share to encourage visitors to stop for a while in Caithness.

mrlennie
08-May-10, 22:23
I dont think i have enjoyed a place as much a whaligoe steps.

pegasus
09-May-10, 00:38
Perhaps you have a favourite place to visit that you could share to encourage visitors to stop for a while in Caithness.

Still exploring, but thanks for sharing. :)

sids
09-May-10, 09:42
To play Devil's advocate, could a thread like this in the General forum cause hordes of idiots to descend on Harrow, scare the seals away and dig up the flowers?

Kenn
09-May-10, 10:34
The primroses are every where at the moment although quite agree that the banks by Harrow Harbour are looking good.
Was delighted to see a carpet of windflowers coming down Sthrathnaver yesterday, they have to be one of my Spring favourites.

trinkie
09-May-10, 19:06
My favourite walk is from ''Shaltigoe till e Ould Man'' and I strongly urge you to carry with you a copy of W. T. Lyall's beautiful poem.
In his poem the author will chat all the way, drawing your attention to such beautiful sights.
Wear something warm for it will no doubt be chilly near the water !

The last verse :

Times in plenty I've come 'iss way
I feel I could walk here every day.
Ai tireless wind an' ai restless sea
These simple things are priceless yet free.

Well now, I can only read the poem times in plenty, but I still enjoy the walk and can taste the salt on my lips thanks to W.T.Lyall.

Enjoy.

ducati
09-May-10, 19:18
Many fav walks and places but prob one of the most tranquil: And we rarely have to share.

mrlennie
09-May-10, 19:26
Thats really smart where is that?

ducati
09-May-10, 19:30
Thats really smart where is that?

Auchengill, between Kiess and JOG. Actually only a couple of miles north of Kiess. There is a sign for a Broch that takes you to a small car park. Well worth exploring.

mrlennie
09-May-10, 19:32
I think i will thanks for the directions :)

Dog-eared
09-May-10, 20:38
There's lots of beautiful wee places around the Caithness coast. The old harbours are a nice place to start, then explore further.
A wee secret favourite of mine is out by Reay, where the Caithness Glass sign used to be. Go down to the coast on the peat track and there's a tiny wee geo with a cave on its left which goes through to the coast. There's a big old rudder bracket from a shipwreck in the cave. :)