PDA

View Full Version : why secret ?

onecalledk
07-May-10, 15:28
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8109/School_inquiry_to_remain_secret.html

Mik.M.
07-May-10, 15:37
So she can stay on until she retires and then get her full pension,or she knows "the right people"? Mik.

onecalledk
07-May-10, 15:54
I have been told that she may not be retiring, if that is so then what will happen next ? If she was retiring then surely it would have been announced and job advertised ?

its disgraceful that the parents of the children attending dont know what is going on in the school ....

K

Thumper
07-May-10, 16:10
Seems to me that it is easier to cover things up if they dont actually tell us what was decided and what was done,how they are allowed to do this I dont know [disgust] oh and before the person who blabbed about me saying things on here the last time go running off again and tell tales-I have as much right as anyone to an opinion on the matter,and keeping things "secret" will only add to speculation! x

Scarybiscuits03
07-May-10, 16:27
I think it's atrocious! I live in Castletown and am now sooooo glad that I chose to put my daughter to school in Thurso! After what has gone on, I wouldn't even consider using the school now.

Gronnuck
07-May-10, 16:32
This incident obviously didn’t deeply affect as many children as was alluded to at the time otherwise the parents would have withdrawn their children from the school.
Or did parents weigh up the benefits of having the children at school against the need to be free to continue their work and decide the school was the best of a poor choice?
In any event it seems the governors, the council and the teachers have got the whole thing sewn up and are not going to be answerable to the parents.
If parents feel particularly aggrieved they might consider the option of getting together to instigate a civil action for assault.

onecalledk
07-May-10, 16:35
I have an ongoing current issue with the school that once again is being poorly managed by said head teacher. I dont particularly want to change my sons school as he has settled there but I dont know how much longer I can tolerate the lack of communication and downright rudeness from the head teacher.....

K

Gronnuck
07-May-10, 16:45
I have an ongoing current issue with the school that once again is being poorly managed by said head teacher. I dont particularly want to change my sons school as he has settled there but I dont know how much longer I can tolerate the lack of communication and downright rudeness from the head teacher.....

K

Write to her - take your time and write a polite formal letter outlining your concerns/complaints and summarize the outcome you want. Keep a copy. Don’t be overly rigid with your desired outcome because she will need room to manoeuvre. Finish off by saying that you want the matter resolved by a given date. If that’s not forthcoming tell her you wish to escalate the matter to the board of Governors and the Education Department at Highland Council.
I would suggest not entering into a conversation with her if she intimidates or upsets you. You can legitimately tell her this and she is obliged to respond to you by letter.

George Brims
08-May-10, 00:39
An "extreme soiling" incident? Thanks, I'll pass on the details if you don't mind. There is a limit to my curiosity.

unicorn
08-May-10, 01:34
Surely details can be obtained from the care commission and that is where any complaints should be forwarded to.
Fairways Business Park
Inverness IV26AA
01463 227 630

What a ridiculous state of affairs this is.

onecalledk
09-May-10, 10:54
An "extreme soiling" incident? Thanks, I'll pass on the details if you don't mind. There is a limit to my curiosity.

no this is a much more serious incident where my child was injured and I was not informed AT ALL by the school .....

K

achingale
09-May-10, 18:18
Someone will no doubt put in a Freedom of Information request to find out what happened but confidentiality is all important in schools so the council is in a tricky position as the headteacher could sue for breach of that confidentiality if the report was made public. However, in fairness, parents of the children involved should be told what happened under instruction of signing a secrecy document to satisfy them that their children were not dealt with inappropriately. I am sure the headteacher and staff involved have been severly reprimanded for their actions though. It was unprofessional in the way it was handled.

charlie
09-May-10, 20:56
no this is a much more serious incident where my child was injured and I was not informed AT ALL by the school .....

K

Would it not be wiser raising this with the school directly rather than making allegations in a public forum? I feel its hardly doing your child any favours.

I can appreciate your concerns/anger but would counsel caution in the circumstances. You are not "anonymous" here as you use your signature to advertise you business.

catran
09-May-10, 20:58
Someone will no doubt put in a Freedom of Information request to find out what happened but confidentiality is all important in schools so the council is in a tricky position as the headteacher could sue for breach of that confidentiality if the report was made public. However, in fairness, parents of the children involved should be told what happened under instruction of signing a secrecy document to satisfy them that their children were not dealt with inappropriately. I am sure the headteacher and staff involved have been severly reprimanded for their actions though. It was unprofessional in the way it was handled.

It was probably old faSHIONED WAY OF DOING THINGS. gOODNESS GRACIOUS ME. A difficult situation but what could one do to keep everyone happy? This day and age is so complex with what is right and what is wrong. Political correctness has gone to far to my way of thinking and if someone does something adhoc everyone is suing which appears to be the name of the game.

changilass
09-May-10, 21:05
The easy answer to 'why secret?', is simply

....... because they can.

Unfortunately, you are expected to blindly trust that they will act in your best interests. The way they have treated parents, however, does not instill any confidence.

Just to be totally clear, I am talking about the Highland Council here.

onecalledk
09-May-10, 21:48
Would it not be wiser raising this with the school directly rather than making allegations in a public forum? I feel its hardly doing your child any favours.

I can appreciate your concerns/anger but would counsel caution in the circumstances. You are not "anonymous" here as you use your signature to advertise you business.

I am not going to discuss any further details as I understand that this is a public forum, I have both tried to raise the concerns with the school (brickwall , hitting head ) and have raised it with the council.

My point of raising this once again is that if the head was reprimanded over what happened before, the way she dealt with this incident would say that she as learned nothing. No communication etc ....

there appear to be NO lessons learned from anything previously that has happened in the school. This puts any parent of any child in the school once more in a frustrating position of not being able to trust that the educational department take parents seriously or take any incident seriously.

At the end of the day we put our children to school to learn and to be SAFE, it is not too much to expect to be informed about your child when something happens to them ......

K

catran
09-May-10, 22:36
I really must be old, the teacher wouLD clean your bum wth A DOCKn leaf if needs must no faNCY TOILETS THEN AND NO CHILDREN PUTTING WHATEVER ON THE WALLS. and no courts of enquiry and all that chazz. Only embaraessed mammies and probly daddies

Aaldtimer
10-May-10, 02:42

K

Are we talking about two separate incidents here?:confused

cuddlepop
10-May-10, 08:56
Because HC think they're answerable to no one including the Scottish Government but thats another thread.:mad:

Put in for a copy of the document under the Freedom of Information and send a copy to your MSP,MP and local councillor that way you've got proof you even asked.:roll:
If your lucky you'll get it but all personal names will be deleted and any information that compromises anyone will be removed too, by their BIG black marker.
Its stupid because you live in such a smal space eevryone will no who it is.

Good luck.:confused

onecalledk
10-May-10, 09:03
Are we talking about two separate incidents here?:confused

yes I am NOT talking about the original incident which is what the report is about and the article in the Groat.

My child was not involved in the original incident. This is complety separate.

K

openminder
12-May-10, 11:45
I cant believe this is even being dicussed on here,, its crazy,, if you had a problem with your kids and the school,, you would try to sort it out rather than sitting on here telling half a story,,if it was a case with my children at this school i would not be sitting on the org writing about it,, you must admit,, the school and headmistress is getting a hard time and nothing has been proved yet? You are innocent until proven guilty!!!!!!

Once you get 1 bad mark it follows,, I think the school is great and most of the kids would tell you that,, in recent years have there been any problems?? until one arm and a leg gets added on.[disgust]

WICKER10
12-May-10, 14:22
I cant believe this is even being dicussed on here,, its crazy,, if you had a problem with your kids and the school,, you would try to sort it out rather than sitting on here telling half a story,,if it was a case with my children at this school i would not be sitting on the org writing about it,, you must admit,, the school and headmistress is getting a hard time and nothing has been proved yet? You aint guilty until charged!!!!!!

Once you get 1 bad mark it follows,, I think the school is great and most of the kids would tell you that,, in recent years have there been any problems?? until one arm and a leg gets added on.[disgust]

Well said the WHOLE STORY :mad:has NOT been told and what has been has had Arms and Legs added to it